Forums / Support / Halo API Support

Couple of Questions

OP Dom At War

Hello guys,

Loving the whole public API and currently trying to get used to it.
Heres a few things I've stumbled upon,
1)Time of match, is it possible to see when a match had started/ended? I can see duration and the date, but the time after says 00:00. If it isn't possible (privacy reasons?), is there a way to get special permissions from 343 if used only automatedly and never actually shown to a end user?

2) Post Carnage results, I noticed when listing the players info, it comes up in a strange order, is this possible to change? Or does anyone know the order, it doesnt seem to be alphabetically by name, kills, deaths, or even team. My only suggestion is it uses the order in which people connected to the game?

3) Searching for matches by multiple player. It can be quite difficult to find a specific game, I was wondering if it is possible find a game based on the people who was in it. IE
GET https://www.haloapi.com/stats/h5/players/dom at war&yourgamertag&someoneelsesgamertag/matches HTTP/1.1
or something along those lines, instead of manually searching through every game.

4)Is it possible to see the details of game variants (for instance, starting weapons, gravity, and all those neat little features)

5)Is there a news or update website where we can see any news or official words about the API?

If anyone can help or provide insight on these.That would be more than fantastic!
Much Love,
Dom
Dom At War wrote:
Hello guys,

1)Time of match, is it possible to see when a match had started/ended? I can see duration and the date, but the time after says 00:00. If it isn't possible (privacy reasons?), is there a way to get special permissions from 343 if used only automatedly and never actually shown to a end user?

2) Post Carnage results, I noticed when listing the players info, it comes up in a strange order, is this possible to change? Or does anyone know the order, it doesnt seem to be alphabetically by name, kills, deaths, or even team. My only suggestion is it uses the order in which people connected to the game?

3) Searching for matches by multiple player. It can be quite difficult to find a specific game, I was wondering if it is possible find a game based on the people who was in it. IE
GET https://www.haloapi.com/stats/h5/players/dom at war&yourgamertag&someoneelsesgamertag/matches HTTP/1.1
or something along those lines, instead of manually searching through every game.

4)Is it possible to see the details of game variants (for instance, starting weapons, gravity, and all those neat little features)

5)Is there a news or update website where we can see any news or official words about the API?

If anyone can help or provide insight on these.That would be more than fantastic!
Much Love,
Dom
1) 343 has commented on this. It is a privacy concern to include the actual match times, and they will not be including it.

2) Not sure about the ordering. Programmatically you shouldn't be depending upon ordering anyway, unless you need to. ;)

3) There isn't a built in way to do this, but if you have all of the matches for one of the players then it should be relatively easy to find all of the matches that both players were in.

4) No, that information is not currently available.

5) This forum has had several updates from the development team. This is the place to watch.
Quote:
The match date is meant to only be a date and not a datetime as specified in the documentation:

"The time component of this date is always set to "00:00:00". This is expressed as an ISO 8601 combined Date and Time."

They could presumably only provide a date and still be ISO 8601 compliant but I'm guessing that they are using a combined date and time so they could add the specific match completion time and not just "00:00:00" some time in the future.

Quote:
The ordering of player info does not really matter as once you have the data, you can order it however you'd like.

Quote:
The Halo API is designed to be RESTful and so it is based around the concept of resources and collections. When you are using the API to query the matches for a player, the player's Gamertag is used as the resource object to query their database backend. RESTful API's are generally not used to do searches because search queries are not really considered RESTful resources. Unless 343 was to add an additional request parameter where you could specify a comma separated list of additional Gamertags to query against, the easiest way to find matches in which all players took part is to query the matches for each player and cross reference the match IDs.

Quote:
It doesn't look like it however I believe this has been requested in other threads as well. I could see them adding it in the future.

Quote:
This forum is probably the best place. Whenever official news or updates are released the sticky threads are generally updated.
Dom At War wrote:
Hello guys,

Much Love,
Dom
1) 343 has commented on this. It is a privacy concern to include the actual match times, and they will not be including it.

2) Not sure about the ordering. Programmatically you shouldn't be depending upon ordering anyway, unless you need to. ;)

3) There isn't a built in way to do this, but if you have all of the matches for one of the players then it should be relatively easy to find all of the matches that both players were in.

4) No, that information is not currently available.

5) This forum has had several updates from the development team. This is the place to watch.
Thank you very much for the confirmation,

1) Completely understandable, not too much of a problem anyway.
2) Yeah had a thought about this since and realised I didn't really need it, was a bit staggering looking at the json on the website, so installed json viewer for Notepad++ and makes it a lot more readable and realised I don't need to do that, still strange ordering though.
3)This is the one I was most worried about, it is something I need, I know I can search through recent matches (I know the matches will happen after a certain date so makes it a touch easier if someone doesn't play insane amounts(I'm searching custom games anyway). Just hoped there would be a way without having to use another api call to do every match until I find the one I need.
4) Nice & Simple, I thought I looked everywhere for it.
5) Sound great, I'll keep an eye out!

Thanks for the help and confirmations, good luck!
3) Like Score For Once points out you do not need to query the carnage results at all, get recentgames for players in question and check for overlapping match ids.
1) I can understand privacy reasons for not adding the complete match time, but the date should definitely be a part of the carnage result query as well. Not sure if this was mentioned already but i hope it will get added.