Difference between TotalKills & TotalSpartanKills

OP ElWonAte

Quote:
// Total number of kills done by the player. This includes melee kills
// shoulder bash kills and Spartan charge kills, all power weapons, AI
// kills and vehicle destructions.
"TotalKills": "int",
Quote:
// Total number of Spartan kills by the player.
"TotalSpartanKills": "int"
Hey everyone, I'm stuck on a discrepancy between my own stats, Halo 5, Halo Waypoint and HaloTracker.

My stats show that my TotalSpartanKills are 9665.
HaloTracker shows my TotalSpartanKills at 9665, but it does calculations based on my Kills, which it shows at 9708.
Halo Waypoint shows my 'kills' at 9665.
Yet Halo 5 shows my 'kills' at 9708.

Could someone please clarify the difference between these two fields, or at least confirm which one I should be using for KDA, K/d etc. calculations? Thank you!
TotalKills includes enemy AI kills, TotalSpartanKills does not. Generally, you'll want to use TotalSpartanKills for calculating anything involving deaths because in most cases, it's considerably easier to kill a grunt than it is to kill an enemy player.
Benijam7 wrote:
TotalKills includes enemy AI kills, TotalSpartanKills does not. Generally, you'll want to use TotalSpartanKills for calculating anything involving deaths because in most cases, it's considerably easier to kill a grunt than it is to kill an enemy player.
That's what I thought it would be, but how would TotalSpartanKills and TotalKills be different for Arena where there isn't any AI? :(
Maybe it is really TotalEnemySpartanKills, and it counts betrayals as part of TotalKills?
What's up ElWonAte, it's Wallshington from Reddit.
What Null Parameter says is basically what I've softly concluded this whole time. I think SpartanKills subtracts kills for betrayals and suicides just like it would in the game. TotalKills just counts all of your actual kills. And this is why I've always went with the Halotracker numbers, removing kill stats because of betrayals and suicides is kind of dumb.. in game it makes sense but not overall stats. I also follow Halotracker because it matches the actually Halo 5 in game stats.

One way to find out is to play one game, betray someone or suicide, then see how the numbers add up after one game. You'd have to record the numbers before you start the game of course.
Hi ElWonAte! Sorry about the confusion about those two fields. Another Locust is on the right track. If we refer to the documentation for these two fields, we see:

// Total number of Spartan kills by the player.
"TotalSpartanKills": "int"

// Total number of kills done by the player. This includes melee kills,
// shoulder bash kills and Spartan charge kills, all power weapons, AI
// kills and vehicle destructions.
"TotalKills": "int",

TotalSpartanKills is how many enemy Spartans you’ve killed. These targets have to be explicitly on the enemy team, so betrayals and suicides do not count. What “Spartan” refers to is that these are the Spartans that are controlled by actual real-life humans (i.e. they’re not AI-controlled marines/grunts/bosses/etc.).

TotalKills is how many enemy Spartans you’ve killed along with how many hostile AI-controlled targets you’ve killed (marines/grunts/bosses/etc.) and how many hostile vehicles you’ve killed. Like TotalSpartanKills, betrayals and suicides do not count. For example, if you blew up a Warthog that had two player-controlled Spartans on the enemy team and an AI-controlled enemy marine, TotalKills would be incremented by four: two for the Spartans, one for the marine, and one for the vehicle. However, if you blew up a Warthog that was not controlled by an enemy team, TotalKills would not increment.

Hopefully this gives you the context you need to determine which fields to use. Traditionally, you’re probably going to want to use TotalSpartanKills to calculate things like KDA.
TotalKills is how many enemy Spartans you’ve killed along with how many hostile AI-controlled targets you’ve killed (marines/grunts/bosses/etc.) and how many hostile vehicles you’ve killed. Like TotalSpartanKills, betrayals and suicides do not count. For example, if you blew up a Warthog that had two player-controlled Spartans on the enemy team and an AI-controlled enemy marine, TotalKills would be incremented by four: two for the Spartans, one for the marine, and one for the vehicle. However, if you blew up a Warthog that was not controlled by an enemy team, TotalKills would not increment.

Hopefully this gives you the context you need to determine which fields to use. Traditionally, you’re probably going to want to use TotalSpartanKills to calculate things like KDA.
Thanks for the response! For Arena, I'm trying to figure out why the numbers would be different if there are no AI. I would assume the only non-Spartan Kills you can get would be vehicles in Big Team Battle, however this still doesn't match the figures. I'm going to very quickly use a friend of mine as an example:

My website, Halo Carnage (http://halocarnage.com/profile/steely11/arena):
Spartan Kills: 1877. Deaths: 1629. KD: 1.15.

Halo Tracker (http://halotracker.com/h5/arena/steely11):
Kills: 1895. Deaths: 1629. KD: 1.16.

Halo 5:
Kills: 1895. Deaths: 1629.

1895 - 1877 = 18This means Steely11 has 18 non-Spartan Kills in Arena. However according to his Arena total medals, he has destroyed 2 Warthogs, 3 Ghosts and 1 Mongoose (6 'kills'). What could be the other 12 'kills'? I really hope his data doesn't change between now and when you see this!

Thank you so much for the help with this - I know it's all very picky but I want to make sure I've got the right data! :)
Another Locust is on the right track.
Damnright I am XD
Hi again ElWonAte. Thanks for the follow-up information. We spent some time investigating, and what you’ve found is definitely interesting.

Working backwards from Total Kills and Total Spartan Kills, you found that Steely11 had 18 non-Spartan kills in Arena. If we look at the Vehicle Kill and Enemy Kill collections in his Service Record, we can get a little more detailed information that what you were able to find just via medals alone. Steely11 has no Enemy Kills, but he does have 7 Vehicle Kills:
- Ghost: 3
- Warthog: 1
- Mongoose: 1
- Mantis: 1

Revisiting Steely11’s kill count, after those 7 Vehicle Kills, we still have 11 non-Spartan, non-Vehicle, non-Enemy, “mystery” kills remaining. After some investigation, we found that these were explosive barrels that were somehow marked as “hostile” and therefore contributed towards Steely11’s kill count. This is a bug in our service, and is something we’ll work towards correcting.

In the meantime, as a work around, what you can do to determine an accurate Total Kills value is to add up TotalSpartanKills (as reported by the Service Record or Post-Game Carnage Report), Total Vehicle Kills, and Total Enemy Kills. Total Vehicle Kills and Total Enemy Kills can be determined by adding up the TotalKills values of all of the entries in the DestroyedEnemyVehicles and EnemyKills collections (respectively) from the Service Record or Post-Game Carnage Report.

Thank you for keeping us honest, and we hope to fix this issue soon. Hopefully this works in the meantime. As always, let us know if you have any questions.
Ha! That's fantastic. I was wondering if they'd be counted as enemies (due to the red crosshair). When this bug is corrected in the service, will that be reflected in-game as well?

Thanks again for your help! :)