Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo API Support

Halo API Hackathon

OP Forum Team

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Back in October of 2015, we launched the public API Beta for Halo 5: Guardians, and since then we’ve been blown away by community-created websites and apps. Places like Halo Tracker, Halo Data Hive, and Halo Carnage are just a few of the destinations that are providing a unique statistical experience to Halo 5 players.
Today we have two big announcements to share, and we have a feeling Halo API coders will be just as excited as we are. First, we’ve just added a raw match events endpoint to the public API service, which will allow developers access to a breakdown of a match like never before. The second, is the Halo API Hackathon Contest!
Read the full announcement: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-api-hackathon
To submit your entry to the Halo API contest, create a new thread in this section of the Halo Waypoint forum and email 343PubApisHackathon@microsoft.com with the following information:
Application/Web Site title:
Description:
URL (if applicable):
Screenshot links:
Gamertag:
Happy hacking, and best of luck to all competitors!
-Forum Team
So, the 2nd place prize is better than the 1st place prize?
um i think first and second prize should be switched. Sort of a lose if you win here.
The etched Xbox one that is signed by 343 would be WAY more valuable to me than anything. So do I shoot for second place? lol...

Good luck to everyone participating.
This is amazing news!!

I'm so pleased about the new match events!

The competition is a great idea too. I'll definitely be getting involved.

Thank you.

Edit: As awesome as this is, similar events for objectives such as flag taken/captured would be really nice.
I'm really interested in participating. Is there any way you guys can provide an API for translating a map variant ID and coordinates into a location name ie. "Red base, second level"?
Sounds interesting. I want to participate, but it's hard to think of an app that someone hasn't already created.
I'm just submitting
Any one want to team up on a JS app?
Awesome! I was honestly just thinking about suggesting doing something like this.

Best of luck to those competing.
Goodbye, weekend.
You failed to write "Halo 5: Guardians" in the Third Prize:
  • The Art of Halo 5: GuarIDans book
The new Match Events endpoint is really rad, and I expect that use of this endpoint will be weighted strongly in 343's judging, but I can't really see a way to easily make use of the location coordinates it provides, which I think is a crucial feature given that the obvious use of the endpoint is for generating heat maps.

TL;DR Hey 343, can you give some insight into how developers can leverage the Match Event coordinate data?

The location coordinates by themselves provide no reference point for a map (e.g. where would x:32, y:157, z:13 be on Fathom?). It's probably a safe assumption that the coordinates are the same as those that Forge exposes, so each developer could go into Forge on each map and come up with their own loose baselines for the "edges" of a map and then crunch the numbers on a map-to-map basis for where a particular coordinate location resides within those baselines, but this would be a lot of effort to put on the developer and probably wouldn't yield the most accurate or consistent results. Moreover, even once baselines are established, images will still need to be created that can map to those baselines, as the map images provided by the API are not usable for this purpose.

Conversely, I would expect that 343 is much better positioned to provide these resources, and in a form that makes their application by developers consistent. While 343 can't be expected to account for all use cases of the endpoint, I think providing some basic overhead map images and a system for mapping coordinates to those images (for example) would go a long way towards helping developers quickly visualize the data in a way that is useful for what the majority of players would want/expect.

Was it 343's expectation that developers would be responsible for establishing their own system for mapping coordinates to maps/images? Or am I simply missing something obvious? I hope this doesn't come off as entitled, as I understand that 343 was in no way obligated to provide this API or any of its data, and I'm super appreciative that they have. I'm just trying to understand how best to leverage this particular part of the API.
so in other words, 343 have the necessary information to give us an amazing carnage report with medals and all the information for the gamertags, csr ranks, and all that good stuff but choose not to implement it like halo reach because they want people to develop apps? thats so silly really.
The prizes are very subjunctive to what some people want. Someone might want the signed Xbox but want the most req packs. The things is the helmet and needled are much more valuable concerning money than the Xbox. I think the 1st prize the winner should be able to choose what Prizes they want.
B is for Bravo, SpartanCat666, Furiousn00b can we get some pull with the API team to add a little bit more information to the map coords data in the new endpoints, specifically for this hackathon? (Since I'm new to the forums, I'm not sure what other 343 dev guys to mention here.)
Quote:
The new Match Events endpoint is really rad, and I expect that use of this endpoint will be weighted strongly in 343's judging, but I can't really see a way to easily make use of the location coordinates it provides, which I think is a crucial feature given that the obvious use of the endpoint is for generating heat maps.

TL;DR Hey 343, can you give some insight into how developers can leverage the Match Event coordinate data?

The location coordinates by themselves provide no reference point for a map (e.g. where would x:32, y:157, z:13 be on Fathom?). It's probably a safe assumption that the coordinates are the same as those that Forge exposes, so each developer could go into Forge on each map and come up with their own loose baselines for the "edges" of a map and then crunch the numbers on a map-to-map basis for where a particular coordinate location resides within those baselines, but this would be a lot of effort to put on the developer and probably wouldn't yield the most accurate or consistent results. Moreover, even once baselines are established, images will still need to be created that can map to those baselines, as the map images provided by the API are not usable for this purpose.
WithItUp wrote:
It's probably a safe assumption that the coordinates are the same as those that Forge exposes,
I've tested this out and I can confirm that the API coordinates are equal to the forge coordinates divided by 10.

Also, unless more tools are announced, my current plan is to manually copy all the data from forge into my app, which will be... fun.
[Ignore this]
Quote:
Back in October of 2015, we launched the public API Beta for Halo 5: Guardians, and since then we’ve been blown away by community-created websites and apps. Places like Halo Tracker, Halo Data Hive, and Halo Carnage are just a few of the destinations that are providing a unique statistical experience to Halo 5 players.
Today we have two big announcements to share, and we have a feeling Halo API coders will be just as excited as we are. First, we’ve just added a raw match events endpoint to the public API service, which will allow developers access to a breakdown of a match like never before. The second, is the Halo API Hackathon Contest!
Read the full announcement: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-api-hackathon
To submit your entry to the Halo API contest, create a new thread in this section of the Halo Waypoint forum and email 343PubApisHackathon@microsoft.com with the following information:
Application/Web Site title:
Description:
URL (if applicable):
Screenshot links:
Gamertag:
Happy hacking, and best of luck to all competitors!
-Forum Team
Follow instructions carefully and it could be hard for people who don't understand API codex and other tools
I'm really excited to see who will win each of the prizes.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2