Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo API Support

[Request] Arena Match Result Ping

OP Iimitz

I know the game is end of life and there's likely been no changes to the API in a few years but I wanted to put this thread here if only to serve as an ask for future APIs. I know that the Engagement Lead for Halo 5 is able to look up player ping in relation to match results. Plenty of platforms allow you to see in game connection information, but alas Halo does not. I would love if this could be a line item to include. I'm struggling to see any security risks associated with providing the ping a player had to a server in a historic match. With so many people complaining about connection problems in precision games like First Person Shooters, it would be great to be able to provide players with this information. Maybe there's a lonely bored DEV hanging around and can 'tick a box' to have the data returned in the API. I would never expect it to be that easy but also assume there is plenty of data that is logged but stripped for public use. Between you and I, I won't even ask you to update the docs ;)
Good suggestion. It’d be an interesting stat to see.

But how would that work in your mind on the back end? If you think about it, a ping is just a snapshot in time.

My thinking, for this measurement to be accurate / valuable, the backend process would need to measure ping throughout the game and then make an average ping available for the developer in the API.

Maybe every minute:

minutesMatchWentOnFor += 1

for each player, measure ping.

ping += ping

Next player

At the end of the match

For each player

averagePlayerPing = ping / minutesMatchWentOnFor

Next player

Something like that
Good suggestion. It’d be an interesting stat to see.

But how would that work in your mind on the back end? If you think about it, a ping is just a snapshot in time.

My thinking, for this measurement to be accurate / valuable, the backend process would need to measure ping throughout the game and then make an average ping available for the developer in the API.

Maybe every minute:

minutesMatchWentOnFor += 1

for each player, measure ping.

ping += ping

Next player

At the end of the match

For each player

averagePlayerPing = ping / minutesMatchWentOnFor

Next player

Something like that
That's certainly another way to do it. I just assumed during the matchmaking process where it assesses who gets paired with who it takes a ping from the players. Because it's able to base your match on MMR as well as relative connection. I know Menke was able to tell another user on twitter what their ping was for a given match.