Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo API Support

SSL certificate problem?

OP ExO Mandrake

I receive the error SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate code 60, when I make any api call. This started Friday evening, Aug 28 around 6pm according to the api analytics (https://developer.haloapi.com/Developer/Analytics) for my account. It's like someone flipped a switch and shut me down. My guess is that the api no longer accepts requests from servers without SSL. Please confirm.

I can login to the haloapi site and make manual requests. I made a successful request on Aug 29 and Sep 2nd.

On Monday, Aug 31, I purchased and setup SSL for my hosted server, exodeltagaming.com. On Wednesday Sep 2nd, SSL and site appears to be working properly, however I still receive the error when making any api call. Please help.
I'm not aware of us having any way of knowing whether your website is secured with SSL or not. Presumably you could be calling into the API from something that's not even a website (console application, phone app, etc.).

What language is your website written in? What are you using to call the API?
First of all, I have not changed anything in weeks on the website prior to the issue. API calls are only made from my webside. My website is written in php, using a mix of manual calls but most calls are using PHP-HaloAPI, https://github.com/RosayGaspard/PHP-HaloAPI. This php class is what returns the error message, the manual calls return nothing.

Simple manual call:
$ApiKey = "myproductionkey";
$url = "https://www.haloapi.com/metadata/h5/metadata/seasons";
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt_array($ch, array( CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER => array('Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key: ' . $ApiKey), CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => true, CURLOPT_URL => $url ));
$response = curl_exec($ch);
curl_close($ch);
$request = json_decode($response);

All this has been working great for years then suddenly "SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate". Looking at my analytics, my account has been successfully calling 30,000 to 60,000 api calls a day prior to the issue.

I have a test page that I use to make a simple api call (see code above) and that returns nothing.

I also use my website to make successful api calls with the Twitch.tv api and it works fine.

This has been down for nearly 2 weeks and as stated in my original post, started Friday evening, Aug 28. Please help.
This morning, I created a simple api call on another hosting server and the call worked. I called support for my current hosting service and it turns out my site is on an old server nearing the end of its life. They are in the long process of migrating my site (and many others) to new servers and they are taking stuff away from the old server I am currently on, which has caused the issue. They confirm there have been other support calls with similar api issues. This is odd because other api services work and the Halo API is the only one not working from that old server. They also could not give me a timeframe as to when this migration will be completed, says this is planned throughout the end of the year. Frustrating.

Respected Sir, thanks for the support.

This post has been hidden.