Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo API Support

[Suggestion] flight-like access to new APIs

OP radiactivepeter

Dear developers at 343 Industries, I would like to share a suggestion or idea for the upcoming titles that will be released, like Halo Infinite.

Please, consider creating a flight / beta for brand-new APIs that are being built for new games. Independent developers from this sub-forum that are known to have created or published an application, could get invited to help test and provide feedback during the last stages of the APIs/backend design or deployment. Think about it as similar to the Master Chief Collection flights, but at a much smaller scale. A ring of external developers who would also provide quality and scalability feedback.

Benefits: In addition to receiving valuable feedback from developers, games like Halo: Infinite could have a variety of fan-made (third-party) applications available on launch day, thus increasing the impact and reach, creating a richer launch experience. For instance, mobile applications, discord bots, etc.

Would like to hear your thoughts about this, either if the idea is viable or not.
-radiactivepeter
Dear developers at 343 Industries, I would like to share a suggestion or idea for the upcoming titles that will be released, like Halo Infinite.

Please, consider creating a flight / beta for brand-new APIs that are being built for new games. Independent developers from this sub-forum that are known to have created or published an application, could get invited to help test and provide feedback during the last stages of the APIs/backend design or deployment. Think about it as similar to the Master Chief Collection flights, but at a much smaller scale. A ring of external developers who would also provide quality and scalability feedback.

Benefits: In addition to receiving valuable feedback from developers, games like Halo: Infinite could have a variety of fan-made (third-party) applications available on launch day, thus increasing the impact and reach, creating a richer launch experience. For instance, mobile applications, discord bots, etc. Would like to hear your thoughts about this, either if the idea is viable or not.
-radiactivepeter
I would love to see any feedback about the upcoming title(s) regarding api support. However a API would likely be released sometime after the title is public. But a guy can still be hopeful!
I would loveeeee if this became a reality! Please 343.

Me May Hamn, and Halo Data Hive have all been utilizing the full potential of the Halo 5 API.
Personally I have a lot of projects that would benefit a lot with Halo Infinite support this involves discord bots, twitter bots, twitch bots, twitch obs overlays integrated with Halo stats, a Halo Esports Platform (HaloEsportsGG), Halo South Africa, just to name a few. Please can this be a thing. I don't mind making revisions if the endpoints etc change on full launch but having more or less an idea of what I'll be working with will give me the ability to update all my platforms and have them ready before launch. Similar to how the Reclaimers get access to flights etc early it would be nice if the API Developers had something similar.
NicmeistaR wrote:
I would loveeeee if this became a reality! Please 343.

Me May Hamn, and Halo Data Hive have all been utilizing the full potential of the Halo 5 API.
Personally I have a lot of projects that would benefit a lot with Halo Infinite support this involves discord bots, twitter bots, twitch bots, twitch obs overlays integrated with Halo stats, a Halo Esports Platform (HaloEsportsGG), Halo South Africa, just to name a few. Please can this be a thing. I don't mind making revisions if the endpoints etc change on full launch but having more or less an idea of what I'll be working with will give me the ability to update all my platforms and have them ready before launch. Similar to how the Reclaimers get access to flights etc early it would be nice if the API Developers had something similar.
Thanks NicmeistaR and May Hamn for your comments on this.

To elaborate a bit more on the original idea; We know the teams are working hard to ship the game so it's okay that this can't be a top priority.

Nevertheless, there are two scenarios where this should be beneficial for both sides, either if a multiplayer open beta happens, or just a few weeks before release date. Testing everything and receiving feedback and data usage at those moments can be helpful, and as NicmeistaR said, no developer is going to mind making revisions in our side if things change later.

This could be properly accompanied by NDAs. I'm sure we committed developers won't have any issue with that.
Yeah this would be so good. I want to play Infinite on release and not spend all my time updating Halo Data Hive. Getting a head start would save so much stress.
I'd love to be able to experiment creating data driven apps with the APIs from Halo Infinite. 100% in support of this idea!