Forums / Community / Halo Insider

A Question About the Servers

OP Floop1

So I was wondering, I heard that not many people got invited to the flight and that with the ammount that was invited, it apparently isn't a justified ammount for server stress testing. Do 343 already have stress testing covered or was the ammount more appropriate than what I am hearing? Don't want Day 1 of Halo Reach to be problematic as a result.

PS: I posted this post in the wrong discussion (Halo MCC area) so sorry if it looks like spam, would like to get that post deleted but they can't be.
I am certain they've got the numbers covered, however the on-going issue of latency issues with dedicated server games, seems to remain as problem as input is rather delayed but i doubt that has anything to do with the overall amount of players. Regardless, servers seems to be holding up quite well on both PC and Xbox flight (i have been testing both) and matches come fairly quickly, so i suspect there is plenty of players.
KenniTDG wrote:
I am certain they've got the numbers covered, however the on-going issue of latency issues with dedicated server games, seems to remain as problem as input is rather delayed but i doubt that has anything to do with the overall amount of players. Regardless, servers seems to be holding up quite well on both PC and Xbox flight (i have been testing both) and matches come fairly quickly, so i suspect there is plenty of players.
That's not actually how online really works, and numbers are not covered until they are actually covered. The best devs can actually do is make a system to uphold it, however half or even more than half the time, it over exceeds their predictions.

I'm actually fairly quite concerned now because we are talking about the same development team that worked on the networking on MCC and left it in such a poor broken state for so many years until later fixing it.
This honestly should be a open beta for everyone, not sure why or how this is actually helping them in any way to be honest. At first I thought this was pertaining to secrecy(secrets), but the fact many people are uploading videos and talking about the game full blown great detail, I don't see the point at all anymore, and if anything would help stress test the game for the amount of people playing.
Not to mention the amount of people having so many different specs and hardware for their PC's..

I'm feeling like this may be another MCC launch again, and I'd hate for that to happen.
I'm guessing they are not really concerned with that just yet. The game is nowhere near launch state, there are a lot of bugs and other mechanics to fix before having to worry about server capacity and stress testing.

Yes with Steam and PC having huge amount of players, the servers will probably go down, but I wouldn't worry about it, it's not something that will kill the game.
they never said they arent doing a open beta and doing these closed flights focus more on gameplay bugs then game servers so id imagine that the whole stress testing is getting covered later on when the game is in a better state gameplay wise
They already said stress testing is happening this flight. They even have scheduled times. The way stress testing works is: they set up only the amount of servers needed to support the player base that is actually there. Meaning they only put up enough servers to support the couple thousand or so that are playing on average. And on the specific times they ask people to play a certain thing they set up enough servers to support less players than actually show. Giving them the number of servers they need to properly support the player base.

In addition, from what i've heard and seen is the servers are working great in every way EXCEPT latency. Which is simply a bug somewhere in the multiplayer code that they need to find and fix. Yes this is a big deal but open betas are absolutely not necessary to stress test or to test a game overall.

With the amount of people invited im sure almost every bug will be found and the only ones remaining (unless more are created in the fixing of old ones) will be fringe cases that only effect a select few people and those will be reported and resolved.