Forums / Community / Halo Insider

Anyone on here playing the reach beta?

OP Valors s2k

How do you like the beta so far?

Are you having a blast?

Anything new that you noticed about the gameplay?

How can I can I join in on the fight?
Valors s2k wrote:
You need to be a registered Halo Insider to join in on the current flights. Xbox flights likely won't have any further waves added but you can still sign up to be invited to the PC PVP flight that will be happening soon. You can sign up at http://haloinsider.com
I'm in the flight and I'm having a blast. Both digitally and metaphorically. If I have complaints, it's the connectivity and spawns.
I don't know why, but I'm just getting laggy games. Granted, not like teleporting all over the place all the time. One time it's stable, then it goes crazy, as in players randomly walking into walls, some sound effects lasting longer than they should, only to then suddenly having 3 or 4 enemies in your screen and having your shields blown from a nade you couldn't even react to. This is never an issue with any other Halo game. All matches played stable and you really need bad connection to get teleports, etc. But I get them either way, it's not any issue on my end.

Next: the spawns. I don't remember the spawns being as bad as they are now. I've literally spawned TWICE in front of an enemy hog consecutively in Tempest. Other times, I spawn in direct cross-fire, being hit with a sniper and nades in not even a second.

I'm enjoying this flight, but these issues are seriously preventing me from having a much better experience.
stckrboy wrote:
Valors s2k wrote:
You need to be a registered Halo Insider to join in on the current flights. Xbox flights likely won't have any further waves added but you can still sign up to be invited to the PC PVP flight that will be happening soon. You can sign up at http://haloinsider.com
I just got an email the other night inviting to a Reach stress test tonight, so that's probably one of the last groups being pulled in I guess?

I'm just concerned that I'll be struck with the "Restarting Search" bug I've been having ever since the MCC's second flighting a long, long time back. The H2A Slayer was fine, but every single flighting since then - and even the game itself - it just strikes over and over, especially in BTB. No errors, no messages, it just finds a group then immediately empties out without so much as a word.

Seems to strike more often with larger groups than smaller ones. So Slayer it'll happen once or twice every few games, while BTB sized games I'll have three to five resets per game played.
Sylxeria wrote:
I just got an email the other night inviting to a Reach stress test tonight, so that's probably one of the last groups being pulled in I guess?
Yep that's right
Sylxeria wrote:
I'm just concerned that I'll be struck with the "Restarting Search" bug I've been having ever since the MCC's second flighting a long, long time back.
A lot has changed since the early Insider flights. It's still a preview release so there can and will be issues, just make sure to read over the known issues on the Halo Support site
stckrboy wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
Yep that's right
Sylxeria wrote:
I'm just concerned that I'll be struck with the "Restarting Search" bug I've been having ever since the MCC's second flighting a long, long time back.
A lot has changed since the early Insider flights. It's still a preview release so there can and will be issues, just make sure to read over the known issues on the Halo Support site
Luck-eeee then!

I looked over the Reach known issues, and didn't see anything like what I've been experiencing. Maybe it's fixed, or maybe it's just not common enough an issue to be 'known'. Hmm, well here's hoping for the best! I made double sure that the old Insider was completely off my xbox like in the installation instructions too.
I have been playing it and they are asking everyone possible to log onto tonight's flight that begins at 5pm PT. This is a very good sign because it means a code/matchmaking stress test, they actually state "services stress test", which is something that you do on the far end near ready to go.

@Sylxeria, I haven't had any issues with getting stuck at all. A few times we couldn't fill the last slot or two and it simply reset to finding player but it only did that one time and we loaded up immediately and away we went. This was on Competitive and Social games so no issues I have seen on that front. Out of all the games I have seen lag one time when a Wraith went sideways across an open area at warp speed and then everything was normal after that. And yeah...having a blast, win or lose.
I have been playing it and they are asking everyone possible to log onto tonight's flight that begins at 5pm PT. This is a very good sign because it means a code/matchmaking stress test, they actually state "services stress test", which is something that you do on the far end near ready to go.

@Sylxeria, I haven't had any issues with getting stuck at all. A few times we couldn't fill the last slot or two and it simply reset to finding player but it only did that one time and we loaded up immediately and away we went. This was on Competitive and Social games so no issues I have seen on that front. Out of all the games I have seen lag one time when a Wraith went sideways across an open area at warp speed and then everything was normal after that. And yeah...having a blast, win or lose.
It's not getting stuck or lagging; it's the searching part. It'll connect the session fine, sometimes in seconds. The lobby will fill up, and then after the lobby is full - as in all eight players are found - it'll immediately empty out and restart the search.

Just now I had the lobby fill up in under thirty seconds and then it empties out, but the second attempt it launches just fine. It's not "getting stuck", it just empties out after it's *full*. I might be explaining it poorly but it's not struggling to find a player or two when it does this.

Best way I can explain it:
--Enter playlist and start searching
--Within twenty or seconds players will be found and there'll be enough for a game.
--One of two things happens: Within the next few seconds EVERY OTHER PLAYER VANISHES and the search resets without warning....
--Or the game launches in just as much time.

In Big Team playlists I deal with several resets before games finally launch. It's not a long, long wait like on release. Lobby's fill up real quick and without much wait. But then after all players are found it empties out all of a sudden. No lag, no stragglers trying to be found, it fills up then empties. It'll do this once or twice for Slayer-sized playlists, but it's a plague in Big Team.

I made absolutely 100% sure that all traces of the old Insider were gone before I installed this. The regular MCC isn't even installed (Where this problem happened too. Not just in the Flights.). It's still happening even despite that. :/

*Edit to add* that I was looking at the clip of such a reset I took back in April (Was gonna use it in a report but never got around to it...) and for ONE FRAME it'll say "Leaving Matchmaking." before it resets the lobby. Doesn't actually boot me into any menus or anything, just resets the lobby.
Sylxeria wrote:

It's not getting stuck or lagging; it's the searching part. It'll connect the session fine, sometimes in seconds. The lobby will fill up, and then after the lobby is full - as in all eight players are found - it'll immediately empty out and restart the search.

Just now I had the lobby fill up in under thirty seconds and then it empties out, but the second attempt it launches just fine. It's not "getting stuck", it just empties out after it's *full*. I might be explaining it poorly but it's not struggling to find a player or two when it does this.

--Within twenty or seconds players will be found and there'll be enough for a game.
--One of two things happens: Within the next few seconds EVERY OTHER PLAYER VANISHES and the search resets without warning....

In Big Team playlists I deal with several resets before games finally launch. It's not a long, long wait like on release. Lobby's fill up real quick and without much wait. But then after all players are found it empties out all of a sudden. No lag, no stragglers trying to be found, it fills up then empties. It'll do this once or twice for Slayer-sized playlists, but it's a plague in Big Team.

I made absolutely 100% sure that all traces of the old Insider were gone before I installed this. The regular MCC isn't even installed (Where this problem happened too. Not just in the Flights.). It's still happening even despite that. :/
Ah, okay. I didn't understand before. That happened to me once and I just hit B>A not thinking and it backed out hopped in, went right back into search and viola. Heading in now to get on. Hope your issue sorts itself and happy hunting.
Sylxeria wrote:

Ah, okay. I didn't understand before. That happened to me once and I just hit B>A not thinking and it backed out hopped in, went right back into search and viola. Heading in now to get on. Hope your issue sorts itself and happy hunting.
It's random for me, but it happens the most in large playlists. In Arena-sized ones I get it only sometimes. This isn't just in the flighting either, but in the main game too. I just noticed for a split-frame second that it'll say "Leaving Matchmaking" as it resets, so I 'unno. Maybe it's something on my end. I've checked everything I can think of though. NAT's open, Latency and Packet Loss are super low, it's Wired connection, no VPN's, etc...

But yeah, backing out and coming back in so far I've had no problems. I just hope it lasts xD
Though it'd be nice if it'd last for Big Team games too; not that I can test that right now though haha

*Scratch that. Over the course of about two minutes had it reset on me four times. Twice after it actually began assigning teams. Then three times. Then four. On the eighth attempt it finally loaded a game. I just wish I knew why it was doing this and what if anything I could do about it :(
Ive had a bit of lag here and there, but just closing the app and restarting it back up seems to fix it in my end.

Or at least that's solved it ever time i notice it. And when i notice it its really bad. Like im shoot the head and in the middle if reloading and THEN they die bad lag.
Played a few matches earlier. Worked very well for me, no issues. I played 7 or so matches.
As an Australian player and my early impressions ,
I matched to west us servers as is most cases with my mcc experince its normally around 200+ ping .
i played about 3 hours straight on slayer and swat settings .and some invasion last night , so probably 5-6 hours in total thus far and have played 5 of the 6 maps on offer .
the game looks absolutely gorgeous , I mean truly beautiful.i think it's on par with H2A visually .
movement was flawless and sound was solid across the board , and it really felt like a reach remaster
. I also checked out the forge for a few hours as well I think 24 map files were there so no complaints about the variety that will be on offer that's for sure . And pleasing to see some of the HCEA maps in there as well .
however the lag is really a problem it's along the lines of OG trilogy mcc lag but with better shot registration. Rubber banding was present most games as were regular blood shots . But I have to say it's still far better than the OG reach MP
h2a H4 and H5 are still a a better overall gaming experience for me so I know I won't be spending much time in reachs MP unless 343 can find a server solution .
spawns were another issue that seems a constant with the OG games to mcc , I don't remember OG reach having many issues in this regard

overall its it's going to be really nice addition to the mcc, I can see myself playing a lot of campaign and FF and some very occasional mp .
did I mention how stunning it looks omg .
Valors s2k wrote:
How do you like the beta so far?

Are you having a blast?

Anything new that you noticed about the gameplay?

I played a few games of 4v4 on it last night. It was fun! I had been playing a lot of 5 multiplayer so it was a bit of an adjustment. The beta seems good, I only had a few wonky things happen but it's mostly smooth. I didn't notice anything much that was new, but it's been a good time even though I'm not that great, lol