Forums / Community / Halo Insider

Anyone playing Halo Reach PC with a Low-Spec Rig?

OP Gravenberg

I haven't been invited to a flight yet but I'm fishing for information on how the current build of Reach fares on the lowest possible hardware specs. Because MCC PC will not feature Splitscreen, hosting local Halo MCC PC LAN events for my friend group will require the same number of capable PCs as players, so I'm curious to know how low I might be able to go!
The easy answer would be to use the Xbox One & Xbox 360 hardware equivalents as an approximate guideline, but I might end up with some pretty hilarious trashfire garbage rigs that are somehow able to handle reasonable gameplay for LAN Customs between friends. SAVE DAT MONEY, SHOP FOR TRASH RAM ON CRAIGSLIST

as an example, I have a spare trash PC at my house with an:
AMD FX 8350 "8" core "8" thread CPU
8GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Some trash SSD
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB VRAM

It's funny as hell to see this thing still trucking with one or two titles. The CPU & RAM should be okay, the 6850 1GB is hot trash but it's still Directx 11 capable & isn't too far under the approximate equivelant of the Xbox One's APU, a GTX 750... if it can handle more than 45 FPS at 1080p, then it's good enough for a friend to joke around on with some custom slayer.
So how low have you guys gone? I wonder how many lower tier spec users 343 decided to invite.
I know this isn't gonna be really helpful, but my specs are

AMD FX-8300 8 Core
16 GB DDR3 800 MHz (I dont know why its at 800 might need to check into it more)
1 TB HDD Western Digital
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb

Im running the game smoothly at 60fps with vsync on and settings set to the max that the game can offer currently.
Ik it might not help you that much but I hope it can shine some short of light.
Also that 1GB might mess you up, if you have the spare money you can upgrade that to at least a GTX 1050 Ti, its cheap but not too cheap. Also try to get at least a 4gb one or up. (although im no pc expert and im not in control of your wallet so do whatever you please)
plsdntstp wrote:

AMD FX-8300 8 Core
16 GB DDR3 800 MHz (I dont know why its at 800 might need to check into it more)
1 TB HDD Western Digital
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb

Im running the game smoothly at 60fps with vsync on and settings set to the max that the game can offer currently.
Also that 1GB might mess you up, if you have the spare money you can upgrade that to at least a GTX 1050 Ti, its cheap but not too cheap. Also try to get at least a 4gb one or up. (although im no pc expert and im not in control of your wallet so do whatever you please)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37280-Memory-clock-stuck-at-800MHz-or-lower-with-Kingston-HyperX-1600MHz-RAM

If you can confirm your memory is hard capped at 800 MHz, that's odd & doesn't seem possible, but if you're looking at your specs via software, it may have something to do with the link I just shared. Hope you figure it out!

& Thanks, yeah I've seen some 1060 & RX 580 users say that both of those GPUs are capable of 4k 60fps with a decent CPU! Explains why the Xbox One X is able to handle 4K 60fps since it has a GPU equivalent of a 1060 6GB...apparently the 2080 Ti can handle 8k 60FPS (which is my main rigs GPU)

Yeah, your advice is sound for recommending to a friend who is looking to build a capable rig for himself to play the game, but I'm explicitly looking for lowest viable GPU options. Good to see that the AMD FX series is working fine & also got you into the Flight!
plsdntstp wrote:

AMD FX-8300 8 Core
1 TB HDD Western Digital
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb

800Mhz should be normal for DDR3 depending on what software is reporting that speed.

DDR stands for Double-Data-Rate so you RAM had an effective speed of 1600Mhz but some programs will report it as 800Mhz.
Gravenberg wrote:
...apparently the 2080 Ti can handle 8k 60FPS (which is my main rigs GPU)...
I have a 2080 TI. Modern games (such as Assassin's Creed: Odyssey) on High/Ultra Settings at 4k can't even get a stable 60 FPS, let alone 8k.

EDIT: I think you may have misunderstood something, actually. I did find an article that says that two 2080 TI's in NVLink hit 8k 60 FPS. But not a single one.
I'm running on 20-30 stable fps on a Asus laptop with an i5 8gb can't remember the MHz and a 920mx Nvidia card with 2gb.
Hope it helps.
no split screen for pc,i knew it was too good to be true :(
Nvidia 840m 2GB
i5-5200U (Dual core 4 threads 2.2 Ghz, 2.7Ghz turbo boost)
12GB RAM

Corvette and Holdout are solid 45-60 fps, Beachhead is 38-50 fps. Completely playable.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
plsdntstp wrote:

AMD FX-8300 8 Core
1 TB HDD Western Digital
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb

Dont worry about the 800Mhz If you used task manager or even other software to see it. They tend to half the actual frequency so you are running 1600Mhz in actuality.
My gamer notebook isn't a low spec machine but not the highest as well, but unfortunately I didn't get invites till that point, maybe in the future.

ASUS TUF Gaming FX504
16 GB RAM
Core i5-8300H
GeForce GTX1050Ti
Im planning on testing any flight im invited to on all of my systems, that includes my HP Z600 workstation box:
2x Intel Xeon L5640 @2.26ghz
24gb ECC 1333mhz ram
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 2GB

That system may be a 2x hex core Xeon, but its a low power chip based on the Gulftown/Westmere-EP architecture, thats the same as the first generation Intel I7 970 processor, but clocked almost 1ghz slower speed not counting boost clocks. So basically, this box is 9 generations behind on CPU and 2 generations behind on GPU, running all low power parts to keep it within the miserly 600w limit of this proprietary HP PSU. I sure hope this game is really good on multi-threading haha
The Razer Stealth Blade 13, which does not have a dedicated GPU, can run Reach fine in 1080p. People have been running Reach in 4k on a 1050 at very playable FPS as well.

Source:
https://youtu.be/yk_0wsjPqpM
https://youtu.be/88_7Xntpl3U (around 10 minute mark)