Forums / Community / Halo Insider

MSI afterburner being supported (HALO MCC PC)

OP iworkforwendys

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
343 is most likely going to have their own analytics in the game that track FPS, GPU/CPU usage, frametimes, and probably a bunch of other stuff during insider flights, so I doubt they're going to care whether you have data from Afterburner or not because they're already going to be collecting it.
I'm curious if EVGA precision would be used as well.
SvspecTEK wrote:
SvspecTEK wrote:
SvspecTEK wrote:
While I see why many people love looking at graphs and frame counters etc from MSI afterburner (and other programs similar), practically speaking Bungie's decision to prevent applications from injecting into Destiny 2 was a brilliant decision. Reason you ask? Cheaters. Unlike console gaming, PC games are plagued with skilled programmers who will do anything to give themselves an advantage over others via external means. Blocking applications from hooking into the game is the first step in preventing this problem.

I would personally commend them if they block such applications simply because they would be a vast problem in the future. Games such as Tom Clancy's Division were exploited during its 3 day beta phase, ruining the game as a whole and eventually killing the whole player base. Apex Legends (been out a month) banned 16K players in the first week and reached a total ban count of half a MILLION players. This is a HUGE issue on PC and should be address appropriately.

A built in FPS counter would solve this issue as external assistance will no longer be required.
Just because afterburner is a common hooking method doesn't mean it should always be flagged by anti-cheat though, considering many other programs that enable OSD (On-screen display) and overlays (ex.discord) have been used in the past as hooking methods as well for other games..

Modern anti-cheats like battleye are setting the standard for catching sophisticated cheats with ease these days, sure would like to see a similar anti-cheat situation for MCC if it came down to it.
I'm not sure you entirely understood what I was getting at. I'm not suggesting any application that hooks should be flagged as an anti-cheat in the slightest, I'm saying nothing should be able to hook period. If we start allowing specific software to hook into the game and block everything else, who's to say I can't just spoof my cheats to look like a discord hook or afterburner hook? The game won't know any different. Remember cheaters always find a way.

As for modern anti-cheat software, while most software will catch the vast majority of cheaters (especially those who grab free cheats from the front page of google), it doesn't usually have a good time finding user specific self created cheats. For example, I personally know someone I went to High school with (won't really consider them a friend, more of an acquaintance) who developed his own cheat software for Counter Strike GO. He made them back in 2015, and VAC hasn't even noticed. We're now seeing something similar with Apex Legends and "Easy Anti-Cheat". I've got plenty of videos I've personally taken of cheaters in this game. If you don't believe me, PM me and I'll forward them over. Then we have Battleye, which is renowned for false positives and actually banning users who aren't even cheating. To top it off, ARMA 3 is plagued with people who abuse exploits despite its existence. Moral of the story, anti-cheats don't prevent, they help to prevent, and while preventing hooks isn't flawless, it's another step towards a cheat free environment.
The game developer doesn't prevent something from hooking into the game bud, that's your anti-virus.. I agree with some things you say but I'm not sure you understand what the game developer has control of and anti-cheat software. Either way, done with this topic lol
...Anti-virus. Are you actually serious? THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS. A program can SPECIFICALLY CHECK if something like RTSS is attempting to hook into it. Destiny 2 was mentioned and is a prime example. Destiny 2 was coded to be able to see externals attempting to hook in.What on earth made you think anti virus would attempt to prevent a program from hooking in?? Anti virus doesn't work like that nor can it, in any way, prevent a program from attaching itself to another. Anti virus just look for a file in its list of "bad" and puts it in another folder so it can't literally be used by the program that needs it.
yo chill I was trolling. I've already heard about D2 in the start of this thread... btw RTSS should not be banned, it's VERY helpful to people with custom liquid cooled builds that need to know when something goes wrong. Anti-virus can tell when a program has injection capabilities thats why you have to make most cheats exclusions in windows defender fyi. You should calm down bro lol
Why you decided to started "trolling" in a serious discussion is beyond me. If you feel this topic is/isn't fruitful for the future of the game, voice that so we can have an actual debate. If you've got nothing good to say, please refrain from doing so. That's just my two cents.

As for the topic at hand, IMO anything that attempts to hook into the game, regardless of what it is, shouldn't be allowed to do so. Generally speaking, if you have MSI Afterburner or EVGA precision and consider yourself an enthusiast, you'll have a second screen which you can monitor your temps, clock speed etc. This also applies for chat applications such as discord too. There is no real benefit to hooking anything as I previously stated into the game itself (although feel free to correct me if you dig up a possible logical use-case). The only thing I would suggest is an in game FPS counter which users can opt-in to enable. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself an enthusiast too, and the last thing I'd want is my options taken away from me, however I'm also a realist, and cheaters are very real. Developers who haven't familiarised themselves with the PC platform as a whole fall into this pitfall more often than not.
SvspecTEK wrote:
SvspecTEK wrote:
SvspecTEK wrote:
While I see why many people love looking at graphs and frame counters etc from MSI afterburner (and other programs similar), practically speaking Bungie's decision to prevent applications from injecting into Destiny 2 was a brilliant decision. Reason you ask? Cheaters. Unlike console gaming, PC games are plagued with skilled programmers who will do anything to give themselves an advantage over others via external means. Blocking applications from hooking into the game is the first step in preventing this problem.

I would personally commend them if they block such applications simply because they would be a vast problem in the future. Games such as Tom Clancy's Division were exploited during its 3 day beta phase, ruining the game as a whole and eventually killing the whole player base. Apex Legends (been out a month) banned 16K players in the first week and reached a total ban count of half a MILLION players. This is a HUGE issue on PC and should be address appropriately.

A built in FPS counter would solve this issue as external assistance will no longer be required.
Just because afterburner is a common hooking method doesn't mean it should always be flagged by anti-cheat though, considering many other programs that enable OSD (On-screen display) and overlays (ex.discord) have been used in the past as hooking methods as well for other games..

Modern anti-cheats like battleye are setting the standard for catching sophisticated cheats with ease these days, sure would like to see a similar anti-cheat situation for MCC if it came down to it.
I'm not sure you entirely understood what I was getting at. I'm not suggesting any application that hooks should be flagged as an anti-cheat in the slightest, I'm saying nothing should be able to hook period. If we start allowing specific software to hook into the game and block everything else, who's to say I can't just spoof my cheats to look like a discord hook or afterburner hook? The game won't know any different. Remember cheaters always find a way.

As for modern anti-cheat software, while most software will catch the vast majority of cheaters (especially those who grab free cheats from the front page of google), it doesn't usually have a good time finding user specific self created cheats. For example, I personally know someone I went to High school with (won't really consider them a friend, more of an acquaintance) who developed his own cheat software for Counter Strike GO. He made them back in 2015, and VAC hasn't even noticed. We're now seeing something similar with Apex Legends and "Easy Anti-Cheat". I've got plenty of videos I've personally taken of cheaters in this game. If you don't believe me, PM me and I'll forward them over. Then we have Battleye, which is renowned for false positives and actually banning users who aren't even cheating. To top it off, ARMA 3 is plagued with people who abuse exploits despite its existence. Moral of the story, anti-cheats don't prevent, they help to prevent, and while preventing hooks isn't flawless, it's another step towards a cheat free environment.
The game developer doesn't prevent something from hooking into the game bud, that's your anti-virus.. I agree with some things you say but I'm not sure you understand what the game developer has control of and anti-cheat software. Either way, done with this topic lol
--SNIP--
--SNIP--
--SNIP--
Generally speaking, if you have MSI Afterburner or EVGA precision and consider yourself an enthusiast, you'll have a second screen which you can monitor your temps, clock speed etc. --SNIP--
Second monitor doesn't work in every game. sometimes picture freezes while game is running, sometimes it just stays black. And tabbing out doesn't work in some games. (points at EA and Fifa with their anti-alt-tab code)
Computers are always customize nobody's going to have the same parts.

Nobody has the same software settings

What you can do is create a filter in the online multiplayer

For example ping time users graphic card or being able to chat with a mic in game could all be separate filters creating even gameplay.

Those who are stuck at 720P at 60 frames a second and those who have 4K at a 120 frames a second are going to have advantages and disadvantages from their hardware.

When talking about modifying graphic card or computing settings there really is no way to stop that as every setting usually incorrect from out of the Box experience which is why MSI afterburner and other programs exist so you can fix problems.

Also getting the most performance out of your hardware most consumer devices come set with a good balance of Longevity performance and clock speed with power consumption is considered.

There are many layers of modification getting the best performance some modify the bios some modify the firmware of the hardware some change the software settings then there's the window settings or your operating system each software set for like Nidia drivers have settings your motherboard has settings the in game has settings and 3rd party programs can alter this remember if you don't have the Correct wiring you will never see your 4KHDR or 120 or 240 Hz

This is my idea create filter options in the online multiplayer where you can play against those with balance specifications if your worried about it. I remember Halo one on the PC with very cheap computer parts and still beating people who use cheating devices like auto aim bots...
zontexx wrote:
Using it for years now I really hope that this will be allowed and somehow supported, same with the Discord overlay later on.
discord overlay?
Hunter2747 wrote:
zontexx wrote:
Using it for years now I really hope that this will be allowed and somehow supported, same with the Discord overlay later on.
discord overlay?
It shows you who is speaking (in one of the screen corners) and also (via hotkey) opens up the discord app ontop of the game so you don't have to alt + tab to the discord app.
Sounds like a good thing to use.
Hunter2747 wrote:
Sounds like a good thing to use.
Really helps with getting to know voices especially if you use servers to find groups for specific games like pubg for example in squads you can quickly start to put the voice to the name. The Xbox one also has this feature for party chat called the party chat overlay. Shows who's speaking so it was nice when I played destiny 1 and did a lot of the raids.
While I see why many people love looking at graphs and frame counters etc from MSI afterburner (and other programs similar), practically speaking Bungie's decision to prevent applications from injecting into Destiny 2 was a brilliant decision. Reason you ask? Cheaters. Unlike console gaming, PC games are plagued with skilled programmers who will do anything to give themselves an advantage over others via external means. Blocking applications from hooking into the game is the first step in preventing this problem.

I would personally commend them if they block such applications simply because they would be a vast problem in the future. Games such as Tom Clancy's Division were exploited during its 3 day beta phase, ruining the game as a whole and eventually killing the whole player base. Apex Legends (been out a month) banned 16K players in the first week and reached a total ban count of half a MILLION players. This is a HUGE issue on PC and should be address appropriately.

A built in FPS counter would solve this issue as external assistance will no longer be required.
AfterBurner does a whole lot more than just display FPS.
Just going to add a quick snippet here. I use Afterburner to help with undervolting my GPU and mix it with RTSS to set custom frame limits without relying on VSync. I'd understand if the anti-cheat wouldn't allow them to hook into the game, but the system shouldn't ban people who have an active instance of either program. I've seen some online games do that, and it was a mess. Additionally, an in-game/built-in frame limiter would be amazing.
gregoryw3 wrote:
While I see why many people love looking at graphs and frame counters etc from MSI afterburner (and other programs similar), practically speaking Bungie's decision to prevent applications from injecting into Destiny 2 was a brilliant decision. Reason you ask? Cheaters. Unlike console gaming, PC games are plagued with skilled programmers who will do anything to give themselves an advantage over others via external means. Blocking applications from hooking into the game is the first step in preventing this problem.

I would personally commend them if they block such applications simply because they would be a vast problem in the future. Games such as Tom Clancy's Division were exploited during its 3 day beta phase, ruining the game as a whole and eventually killing the whole player base. Apex Legends (been out a month) banned 16K players in the first week and reached a total ban count of half a MILLION players. This is a HUGE issue on PC and should be address appropriately.

A built in FPS counter would solve this issue as external assistance will no longer be required.
AfterBurner does a whole lot more than just display FPS.
I never said it didn't. Reread my first sentence again. I'm not going to list all of every hardware utilities features in a post where my discussion wasn't directed towards this. Now that you've mentioned it, I will note that it does have OC tools, OC scanner, real time hardware monitoring, custom fan profiles and an onscreen display. The latter of which is the issue.
SvspecTEK wrote:
While I see why many people love looking at graphs and frame counters etc from MSI afterburner (and other programs similar), practically speaking Bungie's decision to prevent applications from injecting into Destiny 2 was a brilliant decision. Reason you ask? Cheaters. Unlike console gaming, PC games are plagued with skilled programmers who will do anything to give themselves an advantage over others via external means. Blocking applications from hooking into the game is the first step in preventing this problem.

I would personally commend them if they block such applications simply because they would be a vast problem in the future. Games such as Tom Clancy's Division were exploited during its 3 day beta phase, ruining the game as a whole and eventually killing the whole player base. Apex Legends (been out a month) banned 16K players in the first week and reached a total ban count of half a MILLION players. This is a HUGE issue on PC and should be address appropriately.

A built in FPS counter would solve this issue as external assistance will no longer be required.
Just because afterburner is a common hooking method doesn't mean it should always be flagged by anti-cheat though, considering many other programs that enable OSD (On-screen display) and overlays (ex.discord) have been used in the past as hooking methods as well for other games..

Modern anti-cheats like battleye are setting the standard for catching sophisticated cheats with ease these days, sure would like to see a similar anti-cheat situation for MCC if it came down to it.
my radeon graphics overlay relays more than just a fps counter gpu temp gpu mclock for examples thinsg I WILL monitor one way or another while I am gaming
This would be a mute idea, since the statistics that they will be getting from the flights will be more in house anyway. it will give them a more direct involvement instead of using a third party. my two cents.
This would be a mute idea, since the statistics that they will be getting from the flights will be more in house anyway. it will give them a more direct involvement instead of using a third party. my two cents.
Yes, that may be so, but for a finished product I fully expect as a PC gamer to be able to hook into the game with MSI afterburner/rivatuner, discord overlay etc. It would be unacceptable to not be able to.
This would be a mute idea, since the statistics that they will be getting from the flights will be more in house anyway. it will give them a more direct involvement instead of using a third party. my two cents.
Yes, that may be so, but for a finished product I fully expect as a PC gamer to be able to hook into the game with MSI afterburner/rivatuner, discord overlay etc. It would be unacceptable to not be able to.
That's a good point. well with that being said, the game upon release will be on the steam platform, and thus, will support the steam overlay. it will most likely support other frame counters, and such, so I see no reason why afterburner wouldn't be supported unless allowing its intricacy allows Halo on PC to become like Nexon's Combat arms.

By which, I mean opening the door to uncontrolled hacking and manipulation of the game. I'm no expert in this field so I can't say that it's Impossible, But if they are going to disallow that, and that alone, that's probably the reason why.

While speculation on my part here, I feel as though the true end goal here, isn't just the release of the single player aspects of the game, but also to allow halo on PC to help foster the Esports Halo market. Depending on how 343 chooses to progress that we could see a bunch of decisions that we may not entirely like. Ala Overwatch.

A bit of rambling.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2