Forums / Community / Halo Insider

Update on Public Flighting by Ske7ch

OP All of None

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It's a big undertaking. They are having to take port and modify code for game whose dev tools don't exist anymore. I'm glad they aren't pushing out the door a mess you only get to make a first impression once after all.
While I know we're all a little disappointed by the setback, I think this is the best news we could get; it really shows the tender love and care the devs are giving each game as the process moves forward (speaking as a PC player, obviously). That's important imo - I'd much rather wait a little longer for a top tier Halo PC experience than get handed something rushed for the sake of meeting an arbitrary deadline.

The mantle of responsibility appears to be in good hands, my fellow Spartans.
I'm just kind of upset. Like they go from expecting flights to begin in April, to saying it won't begin prior to E3. I am as patient and want a good product as much as the rest of the community but to wait until June to possibly be accepting into flights is slightly infuriating. And to be honest, I don't know why they want flights to be so well done. Like it's an unfinished state of the game, we shouldn't be expecting a finished product. I was expecting a more incomplete product and for them to ask for feedback.
We must remain patient; the great journey is nigh,
I was initially expecting us to get Reach's full launch on PC by September, end of summer. Now I'm hoping the full game comes out by the end of the year. It would be very concerning if it takes beyond December 2019 for them to ship Reach PC.
We must remain patient; the great journey is nigh,
The Great Journey awaits us. Noble Mercy is here at my side.
I was initially expecting us to get Reach's full launch on PC by September, end of summer. Now I'm hoping the full game comes out by the end of the year. It would be very concerning if it takes beyond December 2019 for them to ship Reach PC.
I still think the September-October timeline is feasible. Depends on how the flights go, but I still have faith.
I'm excited regardless, it might be after e3, maybe in late-june, early july??? I still hope more information flows through. Keep up the great work 343i!
Around E3 makes sense from a lot of points, both developmentally and marketing. It gives them some extra time to polish it before handing it to the players to test and it gives them something to talk about during E3. I wouldn't be surprised if during the Microsoft E3 conference they announce flights are starting. It would certainly create another wave of interest in the Insider program.

I'm happy to wait and I think they should take as much time as they need. I still have about 20 achievements left to get in the MCC and Monopolised is going to take a while, so it's not like I have no Halo to play while I wait for the return of Reach.
What confuses me is the fact that 2 weeks after announcing MCC PC, they thought that they had a month left. Two weeks later, they weren't confident it could be finished in a further two weeks. Four weeks after that, and it it's at least a month out. It seems the release date is getting pushed out faster than we can catch up to it.

The only thing I can think of is that the flights are really just a marketing tool, and the team wants the game to be essentially finished by the time they start. Perhaps with only minor tweaks to be made. Additionally, I'm guessing that the goal posts moved on what they thought needed to be done prior to release, and that a lot of extra work has been put on the table.
Making me wonder what the state of the game will be like in the first flight when they go from an April flight to sometime after E3. Makes me hope we can get a full release by August/September and a pretty well along first flight whenever it does happen.
What confuses me is the fact that 2 weeks after announcing MCC PC, they thought that they had a month left. Two weeks later, they weren't confident it could be finished in a further two weeks. Four weeks after that, and it it's at least a month out. It seems the release date is getting pushed out faster than we can catch up to it.

The only thing I can think of is that the flights are really just a marketing tool, and the team wants the game to be essentially finished by the time they start. Perhaps with only minor tweaks to be made. Additionally, I'm guessing that the goal posts moved on what they thought needed to be done prior to release, and that a lot of extra work has been put on the table.
They're not a marketing tool. Flight tests are a bad way to do marketing, they're a series of short and mostly small closed playtests. If you want to do a "testing" program for marketing you need to do an open or semi-open beta that runs for a while. Check out u/ske7ch343's recent comments on reddit, he talks a bit about how they really did just run into unexpected issues that caused the delays. And that if they could see the future they might have waited longer to announce it.
The optimist in me is telling me "just wait for E3!"
The optimist in me is telling me "just wait for E3!"
Perhaps this upcoming dev blog will give us more info on the progress of the flights before E3?

They're not a marketing tool. Flight tests are a bad way to do marketing, they're a series of short and mostly small closed playtests. If you want to do a "testing" program for marketing you need to do an open or semi-open beta that runs for a while. Check out u/ske7ch343's recent comments on reddit, he talks a bit about how they really did just run into unexpected issues that caused the delays. And that if they could see the future they might have waited longer to announce it.
That makes sense, but the timing of the announcement given E3 is around the corner is still a bit odd. I guess 343 wanted to reserve E3 for more Infinite content, which is why they wanted to announce MCC in a more low key setting? Now E3 is going to be that much more interesting with Xbox being able to hog most of the spotlight this year, can't wait.
I'd rather they take their time and make a great first impression instead of fudging the landing. I'm happy to see that they are taking it so seriously!
‘‘Twas the night before Christmas... :)
i have no problem of devs taking time, this only proves the launch is gonna be silky smooth which i adore
I'd rather they take their time and make a great first impression instead of fudging the landing. I'm happy to see that they are taking it so seriously!
Same here, I think they want to do it good also I really like their approach to PC player community. You know, most of us using Windows, so somehow we are MS's children :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3