Forums / Community / Halo Insider

What is your preferred input device? (PC)

OP Tezla Insanity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
What is your preferred input device when playing first person shooters on PC, and why?
  • Keyboard and mouse?
  • Controller?
  • What type of controller?
  • Maybe even a flight stick?
Will you use it on MCC PC?

I'm curious to see what other people use to enjoy playing fps games :)
  • Personally I use KB&M (as I feel most comfortable with it)
Spoiler:
Show
I've gotten used to keyboard and mouse as I've made the transition over to PC but there will always be a special place for the XB 360 controller for me. Spent countless hours with that thing.
Keyboard and Mouse . I'd use controller if I feel like switching it up, most likely using it exclusivity to the campaign mode.
Keyboard and Mouse, Xbox 360 Controller. I spent most of my time using the 360 controller in Halo 3, Reach, and 4. The Xbox 360 controller would feel the most familiar to me, but I would probably go back and forth using both depending if I find it easier to play on KB+M.
Keyboard and mouse for me, I grew up using controllers but moving to PC really made them feel sluggish, I always felt difficulty while trying to aim.
Good question!
xbox one controller!! halo is smarts and timing.
I've made the transition over to PC completely as of last fall. Decided I would give it a shot. And well it has been well worth it. Honestly if it comes down to driving mechanics you bet I will put the Mouse and Keyboard option away and plug that Xbox Controller in. I guess it's just me, or does anyone else also prefer controllers for games that are like say GTA V where the driving and flying is smoother on a controller. Whereas aiming is smoother on a mouse.
Elite controller. I’ll dable with KBM, but I’ve played Halo way too long on it. The elite eliminates most of the hinderance of the original controller. Though KBM will obviously have its place and be incredibly strong in its own areas. Hopefully the balance is spot on and both are viable so cross play can be a thing.
On PC using a controller in multiplayer shooters is just suicide. Not even the aim assist would help since the difference in reactions and movement is too big.
On PC using a controller in multiplayer shooters is just suicide. Not even the aim assist would help since the difference in reactions and movement is too big.
Have near a 2.7 in D2 PC and win most all of my gun battles out straffing and shooting, decent ELO. Noticed minimal difference at best from D1 console only. Aim assist does indeed help at medium range greatly, reaction time however is hindered compared to better PC players who tend to get the jump if I’m mispositioned, but that’s on me in the first place. I’m not saying KBM isn’t superior, but depending on the game (Halo and D1,2 are console first titles) it can be viable still at decently high levels. I played multiple fighters at a national level and couldn’t imagine players not using an arcade stick, but somehow some did and they were on stage playing in the same finals as me.
YamaMX wrote:
Have near a 2.7 in D2 PC and win most all of my gun battles out straffing and shooting, decent ELO. Noticed minimal difference at best from D1 console only. Aim assist does indeed help at medium range greatly, reaction time however is hindered compared to better PC players who tend to get the jump if I’m mispositioned, but that’s on me in the first place. I’m not saying KBM isn’t superior, but depending on the game (Halo and D1,2 are console first titles) it can be viable still at decently high levels. I played multiple fighters at a national level and couldn’t imagine players not using an arcade stick, but somehow some did and they were on stage playing in the same finals as me.
Well sure depending on the game. I played Halo on PC and found out that playing with a controller is actually decent.

But other games, specifically those where who shoots first has the advantage (Battlefield, CoD) and games where it takes actual skill and has difficult spray patterns (Counter Strike) the controller is just not enough.
YamaMX wrote:
Well sure depending on the game. I played Halo Online (eldewrito) and found out that playing with a controller is actually decent.

But other games, specifically those where who shoots first has the advantage (Battlefield, CoD) and games where it takes actual skill and has difficult spray patterns (counter strike) the controller is just not enough.
I agree wholeheartedly. Definitely game dependent. Hoping for decent balance here specifically so the online population can prosper. I don’t want 343 scared out of doing so, optional if anything with the default set to on would do wonders.
YamaMX wrote:
YamaMX wrote:
Well sure depending on the game. I played Halo Online (eldewrito) and found out that playing with a controller is actually decent.

But other games, specifically those where who shoots first has the advantage (Battlefield, CoD) and games where it takes actual skill and has difficult spray patterns (counter strike) the controller is just not enough.
I agree wholeheartedly. Definitely game dependent. Hoping for decent balance here specifically so the online population can prosper. I don’t want 343 scared out of doing so, optional if anything with the default set to on would do wonders.
If it's anything the Halo game on PC, I'll play with a controller almost 100% of the time.
games where it takes actual skill and has difficult spray patterns (Counter Strike) the controller is just not enough.
I actually tried to play CS:GO with a controller at one point - completely new account and stuff. I somehow got myself to DMG.

Still, I also prefer KB+M, but there are few exceptions like Resident Evil 4 and 5. Really depends on the game.
Keyboard and mouse. If you want to know specific brands, Logitech G502 Spectrum/Corsair Strafe RGB with MX Brown switches. And a Xbox One Controller for racing games/games with vehicles (GTA V/Far Cry). Some games have terrible vehicle/turret controls on K&M (sensivity is way off/extremely slow), which for me, makes it impossible to control them with a mouse.

Some PC games have split screen and that usually require a controller for player 2.

This post has been hidden.

Mouse and keyboard ! Better precision than other devices .
Keyboard and mouse, except for rare exception (like the Jet in Battlefield) , playing a shooter with a controller on PC is basically a handicap
xbox 360 pc controller just feels really good
Keyboard and mouse !
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23