Forums / Community / Halo Insider

What is your preferred input device? (PC)

OP Tezla Insanity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
Preferably I use a controller for most of my games, I only really use keyboard+mouse for games that don't support the Xbox controller at all.
I even play Halo Wars 1 PC, and Halo Wars 2 PC with a controller exclusively. I don't know why, it's just what I'm used to as I can't figure out the keyboard controls at all.
kb/m, xb1 controller and thinking about getting a new duke controller just for the nostalgia factor with this would be awesome.
Keyboard and mouse, unless I'm playing VR. In which case I usually prefer using the WMR controllers.
I personally switch between the Steam Controller and a PS3 Controller. I plan to buy a PS4 controller soon so that will replace my PS3 controller. I've tried using M&K but I find myself hitting the wrong keys during times of panic so I quickly abandoned M&K. But even with a controller, I do pretty well against M&K players. I've played Halo my whole life, so I would like to think that helps. lol
The 'Duke' lol
Nighterlev wrote:
Preferably I use a controller for most of my games, I only really use keyboard+mouse for games that don't support the Xbox controller at all.
I even play Halo Wars 1 PC, and Halo Wars 2 PC with a controller exclusively. I don't know why, it's just what I'm used to as I can't figure out the keyboard controls at all.
Tbh i'm the same when it comes to the PC versions of Halo Wars 1 and 2, just lets you do things much quicker on controller.
The 'Duke' lol
Ah a man of culture I see ;)
Phanes5364 wrote:
I've made the transition over to PC completely as of last fall. Decided I would give it a shot. And well it has been well worth it. Honestly if it comes down to driving mechanics you bet I will put the Mouse and Keyboard option away and plug that Xbox Controller in. I guess it's just me, or does anyone else also prefer controllers for games that are like say GTA V where the driving and flying is smoother on a controller. Whereas aiming is smoother on a mouse.
I feel thats the case with most people honestly. Driving on a controller has it advantages as you can control your speed more vs when on a keyboard its either on or off. No easy way to control speed. (except in the few cases where someone owns a keyboard with optical/analog switches which is a fairly new technology)
Keyboard and mouse personally. As I got older I also got bigger, which means holding controllers isn't quite as comfortable as it once was. Playing with keyboard and mouse has given me a lot of flexibility with gaming. I still do like playing controller though, just can get uncomfortable after a long gaming session.
I personally switch between the Steam Controller and a PS3 Controller. I plan to buy a PS4 controller soon so that will replace my PS3 controller. I've tried using M&K but I find myself hitting the wrong keys during times of panic so I quickly abandoned M&K. But even with a controller, I do pretty well against M&K players. I've played Halo my whole life, so I would like to think that helps. lol
I also own a Steam controller, its an interesting piece of tech :) If you plan on getting a PS4 controller i'd recommend it. I think you may end up liking it more then your current PS3 controller, the L2 and R2 are much nicer imo, and the analog stick grips have a nice feel to them. (and if it dosen't work out aye you could just return it and continue to wreck people with the ps3 controller) Wish I knew where I put my ps3 controller, kinda misplaced it xD
I've gotten used to keyboard and mouse as I've made the transition over to PC but there will always be a special place for the XB 360 controller for me. Spent countless hours with that thing.
I feel you, always remember your roots :)
Keyboard and mouse unless I'm playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. even racing games and the like, I prefer keyboard and mouse because it is what I know and love.
I also own a Steam controller, its an interesting piece of tech :) If you plan on getting a PS4 controller i'd recommend it. I think you may end up liking it more then your current PS3 controller, the L2 and R2 are much nicer imo, and the analog stick grips have a nice feel to them. (and if it dosen't work out aye you could just return it and continue to wreck people with the ps3 controller) Wish I knew where I put my ps3 controller, kinda misplaced it xD
And if you're already familiar tweaking with the Steam Controller, you can make great use of the dual shock 4 because it has a gyro that can assist your aiming and you can create custom touch menus on the touch pad. You can also have the "virtual dual stage trigger" if you want to bind ADS and zoom on full press on L2.

I enjoy playing with my Steam Controller too, even though I wouldn't play competitively with it (yet). I really hope 343 offers proper simultaneous mouse and gamepad inputs to the game, or even better implement Steam Input API and take maximum benefits from the Steam Controller, the DS4, the Switch Pro, Xbox controllers and future controllers!
Nvidia gamestream + shield controller 2017 on a big TV for campaign and firefight (gruntpocalypse). Keyboard and mouse for competitive. It's a moo point really ,both ways are good.
Keyboard and mouse for fps and obviusly halo. For other type of games sure xbox controller.
For me, it's keyboard and mouse. HOWEVER, I may be breaking out my Xbox One controller every once in awhile just to get the experience of the 360 again.
Ever since I made the move to PC, definitely keyboard and mouse. The only time I use a controller (my Steam Controller, to be percise) on my PC is for games like the Witcher 3.
N64 controller. lmao no mouse and keyboard. Although I feel like my Halo skills are going to go out the window. I was really good at one point with controller in halo 4 (when I played like everyday) but playing pc is a whole new game. After playing CSGO I have discovered my aim is not great, so mcc multiplayer for pc is going to suck for me.
What is your preferred input device when playing first person shooters on PC, and why?
  • Keyboard and mouse = Better precision than other devices.
Will you use it on MCC PC?I'm curious to see what other people use to enjoy playing fps games :)
  • it depends on how good the KB&M support is liike on pc but I think I will use controller, I have been playing halo as a kid with controller so it will be hard to change that.
Keyboard and mouse, mainly because I can be more precise with a mouse after a bit of fine tuning. I try to go for 1:1 movement. I do use a controller (360) for some games, like Devil May Cry since I find games like that play better on controller. For FPS though, a controller doesn't cut it for me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24