Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Insider

Why is the Insider program 18+ only?

OP Dethtalligeek

First of all let me clarify two things:
1. I know all MCC Halos are technically 18+ as rated by ESRB.
2. I am not 18 yet.

Now I was trying to get in the Insider program but couldnt because I am not 18. Now we all know a lot of Halo players are under 18 like me, and Halo isnt even 18 by PEGI standards, so not bring able to get into Insider for not being 18 seriously baffled me. My question is that is there any other reason <18s arent allowed in Insider except the fact that Halo is 18+ by ESRB standards?
to be honest I don't think it really mattes anyways. They do it so they can't get in trouble for allowing underage people in. In reality 99% of people lie about their age to get into it if they aren't old enough. That's what I did back in high school for other things too lol
And to think I started playing Halo when I was 5... lol
MCC is 17+ according to Halo: The Master Chief Collection - ESRB
(16+ in Europe Search | Pegi Public Site)
Its 18+ possibly due to data collection?
My question is that is there any other reason <18s arent allowed in Insider except the fact that Halo is 18+ by ESRB standards?
There are legal and data protection / privacy reasons that prevent under 18s from joining:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/243780d3b80b4bb6ac7917a8942286db/topics/halo-insider-faq/ca97b189-c4cc-4ac7-b822-8f70499f4715/posts
Quote:
Why is there an 18 and over age requirement?Since the Halo Insider program requires participants to share personal information and we are committed to protecting players’ privacy, applicants must be over 18 in order to give legal consent to the capture and storage of this information.
First of all

M for mature is 17+

Second, there are privacy laws and whatnot. A minor cant consent to their data being collected.
It's a liability.
Also in some cases you're under an NDA with Microsoft, such as the post-flight surveys.
Privacy concerns seems like the most valid reason.