Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

2 Cents on Nautical Combat

OP Qwerty polopus

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Personally, no. I mean, if it's an aspect of BTB I could buy it, however, I think being on a boat or dingy would make you very vulnerable. Easy to get headshot, unless it bobs up and down a lot. Plus there's aerial vehicles. A fantastic counter to a nautical insertion.
Come to think of it, I haven't really read anything about nautical combat in the halo books(although I'm not completely through them all yet) or seen anything like that in the games, aside from the occasional driving through water in a warthog, or the scarabs climbing out of the depths.
I suppose halo 5 had those under water maps.
I think I am failing to see what nautical gameplay could add the the halo experience.
Any thoughts?
I don't think that nautical combat makes much sense in Halo. There could still be use for nuclear submarines set up for a last line of anti-aircraft defenses but other than that the military has moved to flying ships and orbital platforms with the ODST program. I could see some brief use of boats in a campaign setting but with the amount of readily available aircraft it would be much more likely to have some form of aircraft being the vehicle for transport and combat than water based boats/ships. When you have essentially flying aircraft carriers and destroyer class vessels with no limitations on where they can go restricting yourself to what can be accessed by means of traveling across water does not make sense anymore.
Irr7793 wrote:
Personally, no. I mean, if it's an aspect of BTB I could buy it, however, I think being on a boat or dingy would make you very vulnerable. Easy to get headshot, unless it bobs up and down a lot. Plus there's aerial vehicles. A fantastic counter to a nautical insertion.
Come to think of it, I haven't really read anything about nautical combat in the halo books(although I'm not completely through them all yet) or seen anything like that in the games, aside from the occasional driving through water in a warthog, or the scarabs climbing out of the depths.
I think I am failing to see what nautical gameplay could add the the halo experience.
Any thoughts?
I don't think that nautical combat makes much sense in Halo. There could still be use for nuclear submarines set up for a last line of anti-aircraft defenses but other than that the military has moved to flying ships and orbital platforms with the ODST program. I could see some brief use of boats in a campaign setting but with the amount of readily available aircraft it would be much more likely to have some form of aircraft being the vehicle for transport and combat than water based boats/ships. When you have essentially flying aircraft carriers and destroyer class vessels with no limitations on where they can go restricting yourself to what can be accessed by means of traveling across water does not make sense anymore.
Well. If we are leaving gameplay territory and discussing the viability of a water-based military force in the future, I think we have to extrapolate from the present first and foremost. The Navy is the backbone of the global US military complex, and to your point the Navy is still the core of the military in Halo, it's just migrated to space. But, nonetheless, the Earth, and we can assume many habitable planets, will be majority H20. Unless we are talking about limited orbital excursions into atmo, which certainly would carry a delayed tactical response time, the fighting forces of the mid 21st century would still need to rely on floating docks for the supply chain at the least. Put a motor on it, and you call it a ship, put some guns on it and it's a battleship. Most likely though they'd just design space cruisers to be able to float so they can 'land' on water to conserve fuel as opposed to hovering around.
Irr7793 wrote:
Any thoughts?
Well. If we are leaving gameplay territory and discussing the viability of a water-based military force in the future, I think we have to extrapolate from the present first and foremost. The Navy is the backbone of the global US military complex, and to your point the Navy is still the core of the military in Halo, it's just migrated to space. But, nonetheless, the Earth, and we can assume many habitable planets, will be majority H20. Unless we are talking about limited orbital excursions into atmo, which certainly would carry a delayed tactical response time, the fighting forces of the mid 21st century would still need to rely on floating docks for the supply chain at the least. Put a motor on it, and you call it a ship, put some guns on it and it's a battleship. Most likely though they'd just design space cruisers to be able to float so they can 'land' on water to conserve fuel as opposed to hovering around.
The docks have literally gone vertical in Halo and are commonly referred to as space elevators or tethers and they are primarily used for transporting goods from the surface to extremely high in the atmosphere at near low orbit altitude. Theses space elevators are present on every UNSC controlled planet and can be seen in the Forward Unto Dawn movie and in Halo 5.
Irr7793 wrote:
Irr7793 wrote:
Any thoughts?
The docks have literally gone vertical in Halo and are commonly referred to as space elevators or tethers and they are primarily used for transporting goods from the surface to extremely high in the atmosphere at near low orbit altitude. Theses space elevators are present on every UNSC controlled planet and can be seen in the Forward Unto Dawn movie and in Halo 5.
Ah space elevators, that's a really great point actually, and the UN would definitely build these structures on every colonized planet (assuming we are fabulously wealthy in the future), but for missions of a more exploratory or infiltrative nature that's not going to be an option available to leverage. They would need to develop all types of unique strategic solutions to the same issues, just under different circumstances. Just like militaries/societies have always done. So I'm still seeing a very valid need for nautical craft. Especially in planets where possibly the atmospheric conditions are difficult to navigate regularly, or the ground is unstable like nears a polar ice cap where they would be forced to traverse with an ice cutter.

Unless of course you take the multiplayer map Chiron TL-34 as cannon in which case it seems the UNSC has mastered teleportation lol.
It would be too risky for Master Chief to engage enemy on boats cause if he falls in the water he's done.He can't swim in Mjolnir armor!
What I’d imagine is storming a beach with both air craft and boats.
It would be too risky for Master Chief to engage enemy on boats cause if he falls in the water he's done.He can't swim in Mjolnir armor!
But he has those nifty thrusters to help propel him in the water! It'd be a major design flaw if he just sank like a rock in water lol. That's of course the lore answer.

The gameplay is answer is yes, you would fall to your death if you jumped off a boat in the middle of a match! But that would add to the fun. Kind of like flying.
Don't get me wrong, this sounds super cool. Its just canonically, this wouldn't make a lot of sense unless it was all the way underwater. If it was vessels that just float above the water, why do that when you can use an equally large and equipped one that floats in THE SKY? But for a hidden Banished site deep under water, this sounds good.
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
Don't get me wrong, this sounds super cool. Its just canonically, this wouldn't make a lot of sense unless it was all the way underwater. If it was vessels that just float above the water, why do that when you can use an equally large and equipped one that floats in THE SKY? But for a hidden Banished site deep under water, this sounds good.
Yeah there's some weird ambiguity around the UNSCs fuel source in Halo, I'm not sure if it's ever been addressed in the extended universe, but essentially human space vessels have anti-grav tech the same way the Covies do, which is one of the only instances of technological parity in the games (along with FTL). But yeah a frigate going full submarine would be pretty sick too.
Im sure UNSC Space vehicles could go take a swim and be just fine. If they can maneuver in space they could maneuver underwater just fine. Currents would have to addressed but im sure a UNSC Smart AI could figure that out.
I don't know if naval combat would work in Halo as none of the Halo games as tried which means that we doesn't have a reference to go after. However, if we look at other FPS games, it's quite rare to see successful attempts at naval combats which could be an indicator that it's difficult to design FPS game with ship to ship combat in water.

Something else to consider is that Spartans cannot swim which means that Water is one of the most dangerous enemies to a UNSC super solider.
How about some armor mods? Halsey can figure it out. With some hovertech and lighter armor, swimming Spartans can be a reality
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
How about some armor mods? Halsey can figure it out. With some hovertech and lighter armor, swimming Spartans can be a reality
There could be an attachable submersion equipment that connects like a jet pack but what it does is work as an air bladder to adjust the buoyancy of the Spartan so they can dive or surface as they wish. Similar concepts are already in use with submarine ballast tanks and also heavy objects are often recovered from the ocean floor using air bags and compressed air. It would be bulky and make the Spartan more vulnerable to severe consequences from combat underwater but a very logical concept. A punctured air bladder would pretty much be a death sentence.
Irr7793 wrote:
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
There could be an attachable submersion equipment that connects like a jet pack but what it does is work as an air bladder to adjust the buoyancy of the Spartan so they can dive or surface as they wish. Similar concepts are already in use with submarine ballast tanks and also heavy objects are often recovered from the ocean floor using air bags and compressed air. It would be bulky and make the Spartan more vulnerable to severe consequences from combat underwater but a very logical concept. A punctured air bladder would pretty much be a death sentence.
This just made me imagine if instead of an equipment pickup, you could "drive" a HRUNTING MK1 which is the original version of what would later become HWs Cyclops, and then even later H4s Mantis. The cool thing about this mech concept is that it's a true powered exoskeleton instead of a traditional vehicle. So imagine "getting into the vehicle" which would just give you an augmented version of your normal HUD (think TItanfall mech gameplay as opposed to a Mantis) which would allow you to function underwater and boost around etc. The exact same mechanic could be used for a sequence in space.
I don't know if naval combat would work in Halo as none of the Halo games as tried which means that we doesn't have a reference to go after. However, if we look at other FPS games, it's quite rare to see successful attempts at naval combats which could be an indicator that it's difficult to design FPS game with ship to ship combat in water.

Something else to consider is that Spartans cannot swim which means that Water is one of the most dangerous enemies to a UNSC super solider.
Other games have done it successfully. I wouldn't want to make it a gimmick that they had to include on every map, but there are possibilities. Imagine a 'Venice' map where you can ride gunboats around the land portions either patrolling or ferrying your men around. And I think the danger of being killed by the guardians if you fall off would make it a riot.
Irr7793 wrote:
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
This just made me imagine if instead of an equipment pickup, you could "drive" a HRUNTING MK1 which is the original version of what would later become HWs Cyclops, and then even later H4s Mantis. The cool thing about this mech concept is that it's a true powered exoskeleton instead of a traditional vehicle. So imagine "getting into the vehicle" which would just give you an augmented version of your normal HUD (think TItanfall mech gameplay as opposed to a Mantis) which would allow you to function underwater and boost around etc. The exact same mechanic could be used for a sequence in space.
I play Titanfall so I can totally see how this would work. Another thing is jump jets, allowing it to make long jumps underwater, such as Subnautica's P.R.A.W.N. Suit: https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Prawn_Suit ------- The jump jets would make it easier to make it over gaps or get on top of hill ot structures
I never considered water based combat in a Halo game. It would pretty fun for a single mission.
But he has those nifty thrusters to help propel him in the water! It'd be a major design flaw if he just sank like a rock in water lol. That's of course the lore answer.

The gameplay is answer is yes, you would fall to your death if you jumped off a boat in the middle of a match! But that would add to the fun. Kind of like flying.
Yeah i was joking,i would love to have that in Campaign😊It would also make sense,Chief is stranded on a Halo ring and maybe he have to get to some place where the Pelican can't land,so he have to use the boat.

Yeah i was joking,i would love to have that in Campaign😊It would also make sense,Chief is stranded on a Halo ring and maybe he have to get to some place where the Pelican can't land,so he have to use the boat.
If they were to go with adding boats I think I would like to see them go the route of air boats than more conventional craft, air boats are more versatile and you would not get stuck at a shoreline or in shallow water. Either that or an amphibious version of a warthog but I feel like that would end up being too slow in the water. Imagine being in a pelican with an air boat and being dropped at a safe distance from anti-aircraft guns and then getting up to maximum speed, running up onto a beach and crashing into some grunts and crushing them with the boat as you jump out and proceed towards a large group of enemies at your next objective.
Irr7793 wrote:

If they were to go with adding boats I think I would like to see them go the route of air boats than more conventional craft, air boats are more versatile and you would not get stuck at a shoreline or in shallow water. Either that or an amphibious version of a warthog but I feel like that would end up being too slow in the water. Imagine being in a pelican with an air boat and being dropped at a safe distance from anti-aircraft guns and then getting up to maximum speed, running up onto a beach and crashing into some grunts and crushing them with the boat as you jump out and proceed towards a large group of enemies at your next objective.
A air boat would be cool. A hovercraft would also be cool, like imagine a giant one out on the water. The dinghy would just be so troll to be able to use, sort of like the forklift of the seas lol Or just a VTOL - For example, if they brought the Kestrel into the main games as a playable vehicle. Still, a good old fashioned gun boat would be the best IMO
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3