Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

2020 Release, Storyline Drawn Out Too Long?

OP Lord of Clams

Is anyone else a little worried about how long this Reclaimer saga storyline is going to be drawn out?

If you remember, 2001's Halo: CE started a story arc that wrapped in 2007's Halo 3. That meant players only had to wait six years to get a satisfying conclusion to the story arc started in Combat Evolved.

But now there are rumors of a 2020 release for Halo Infinite, a full five years after 2015's Halo 5: Guardians and eight years after 2012's Halo 4. PLUS, Infinite isn't even going to be the last game in the Reflaimer Saga, meaning it might be until a seventh game that the story actually concludes. Players will be looking at the Reclaimer saga storyline being drawn out for over a decade. At that point, will players even care? Will 343i lose the interest of its fans? As someone who loves Halo for its story, this worries me, and makes me believe 343i should go for more standalone stories.
I wouldn't trust that rumour unless 343i comes out and confirms it.
It was said by someone that Infinite will not be the last Halo game; however you could argue other series have done this and lost interest only when the titles were handed off to more mainstream social publishers (I believe Star Wars is one example?). Harry Potter was about 8 or so books long and it all wrapped up one long story. Halo however, finished the Halo story; this new Halo arc is about the Reclaimers, it's no longer about fighting the Covenant who want to eradicate mankind by activating the Halo Array. This is now about the Forerunners and possibly even the Precursors.

Is it being dragged out too long? Possibly, but as long as the stories stay away from what Halo 5 made the mistake of doing, I'm fine with it. So long as we eventually reach a conclusion...as sad as I will be when that day comes.
Players will be looking at the Reclaimer saga storyline being drawn out for over a decade. At that point, will players even care? Will 343i lose the interest of its fans?
I doubt it, since the storyline is just one aspect of Halo. Sure there might be some people who forget about the plot because too much time went by, but I wouldn't worry about it affecting sales numbers or anything like that. Personally, I think Halo lore is kind of stupid, but I still have fun playing through campaign, and I'm interested in Halo Infinite for reasons besides the story.
As someone who loves Halo for its story, this worries me, and makes me believe 343i should go for more standalone stories.
In other words, they need to stop doing cliffhanger endings? Yes I fully agree. I hate cliffhanger endings. But like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about people losing interest just because time goes by. Halo fans move on, forget about it for a while and do other things, but when it's time for Halo Infinite, they will come back.
Is anyone else a little worried about how long this Reclaimer saga storyline is going to be drawn out?

If you remember, 2001's Halo: CE started a story arc that wrapped in 2007's Halo 3. That meant players only had to wait six years to get a satisfying conclusion to the story arc started in Combat Evolved.

But now there are rumors of a 2020 release for Halo Infinite, a full five years after 2015's Halo 5: Guardians and eight years after 2012's Halo 4. PLUS, Infinite isn't even going to be the last game in the Reflaimer Saga, meaning it might be until a seventh game that the story actually concludes. Players will be looking at the Reclaimer saga storyline being drawn out for over a decade. At that point, will players even care? Will 343i lose the interest of its fans? As someone who loves Halo for its story, this worries me, and makes me believe 343i should go for more standalone stories.
I find it amusing that this worries you. Why would a longer allotted time to create a fully fleshed out story worry you when the reason Halo 5's story was so bad was because it was rushed? 343 should take as long as they want to/have to to create a fully cohesive plot. The original trilogy took 6 years to complete because Bungie, an experienced game studio from before Halo even existed, was able to meet the deadlines during crunch time and still produce a quality product each release. 343 has yet to create a quality product on the same level as the original trilogy, or Reach for that matter. 343 has just gotten some experience under their belt, and no one should expect them to produce on the same level Bungie previously did. If 343 needs more time to create a game that actually meets the standards of such a franchise, then I'll wait as long as it takes.

I find it amusing that this worries you. Why would a longer allotted time to create a fully fleshed out story worry you when the reason Halo 5's story was so bad was because it was rushed? 343 should take as long as they want to/have to to create a fully cohesive plot. The original trilogy took 6 years to complete because Bungie, an experienced game studio from before Halo even existed, was able to meet the deadlines during crunch time and still produce a quality product each release. 343 has yet to create a quality product on the same level as the original trilogy, or Reach for that matter. 343 has just gotten some experience under their belt, and no one should expect them to produce on the same level Bungie previously did. If 343 needs more time to create a game that actually meets the standards of such a franchise, then I'll wait as long as it takes.
I agree with you that Bungie had a lot of experience as a developer with their previous games, but H2 is a great example of how even a company with a lot of experience can have similar development issues as a rookie developer like 343. H2 actually reminds me a lot of H5's development because a lot got changed or cut suddenly and the game was released without being finished. They used a cliffhanger to finish H2 out of course, but that wasn't exactly a popular decision at the time. Not to mention the fact that the game released with massive balancing issues that has earned it the title of hardest campaign in the series.

I do whole heartedly agree with you though that 343 has stumbled and shouldn't be expected to perform on the same level as Bungie, so I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes as well.
Man it's crazy to think Halo 1-3 was only 6 years. Time goes so damn slow when you're growing up, that timespan felt like it lasted a lifetime. I think if they add a lot of variety it's fine. I'm feeling Promethean fatigue but once they bring the Banished to the main series and re-introduce the flood my interest will be reinvigorated.
I don't think it's much of an issue so long as the story is good. Put out something good and the wait can be worth it, do the opposite and of course you'll start losing people as it wasn't interesting to begin with. In infinites case I can see that, I really don't care what some want to say about H4, universally it was very mixed on launch and H5 wasn't that well received campaign wise.
Personally I think it’s a little ridiculous how seriously people are taking these rumors. As for myself, I’m just going to take all rumors especially the 2020 rumors with a grain of salt.
I would take this rumor with a grain of salt. However, that said, I think it’s very likely that the game WILL release in Holiday 2020 and be cross-gen on Xbox One, PC, and the next-gen Xbox.
I don't think it's necessarily the story is being drawn out too long. Rather, it's just that things went off the rails. You had Halo 4 and, personally, felt it ended with a perfectly fine jumping off point. It, Spartan Ops, and the ancillary media left plenty of routes to explore, conflicts to fight, and mysteries to uncover. Unfortunately, it seems the negative reactions to Halo 4 may have caused the studio to abandon whatever plans they initially had and start over. I have no real evidence for this, but I think it explains the sudden, out of nowhere emergence of the Created as the threat in Halo 5 rather than the Didact. However, that ended up bombing and so now 343 Industries has to start over, again, with Infinite.

I guess its maybe a distinction without a difference, but I don't think the story is being drawn out for any creative reason, but because it's been aborted and restarted at least twice.