Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

3 Years of waiting for a glimpse of a new engine?

OP haloboi

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
We may be waiting a while. They've stated they want to get this right and the flight program will see to that with any luck.
I think the engine looks great, at this point I don't care how long I have to wait for the game as long as it's a good game and it looks at least close to what it looks like in the engine demonstration. The hype train continues.
ItsRIDDICK wrote:
Can't agree more.The reveal left a bad taste in my mouth but art style looks good.
Really, it looks plastic, something that was really prominent in Halo 5.
A whole new game engine... i can't wait to see how the gameplay is effected. H6 will maybe be the best...
I actually don't care about the wait, I want them to take as long as they need with this game to get it right.
3 year long wait... it was worth every second. If you watched the trailer in 4k you can truly appreciate how absolutley stunning the engine looks. The artstyle changing looks amazing, the lighting and sounds feel immersive and the sheer ammount of crisp detail in the trailer just blew me away. I think Halo 6 is going to be amazing especially with how much 343 has been trying to listen to feedback and appease everyone, this is a huge step forward. The new slipspace engine is one of the most important things they showed imo and honestly I’m super excited to see that they are using a brand new engine designed with Halo in mind for the next title, the wait was long for a short trailer but it’s better than no trailer!
Making an engine can be a very long task. I think it was needed since halo 5 engine had some issues. I don't mind the wait as long as we have a game filled with content and attention to detail.
I think a lot of people are overlooking what happened with MS and 343i during this console generation which has led to a longer development cycle. When the original Xbox one console launched, it was a disaster due to it's sizing and specs, and a broken MCC did not help. To worsen the situation H5 launched with a complete revamp from what was advertised and without game modes, content, and a storyline that people could enjoy. This severely frayed the community and MS/343i have been taking it slow ever since, trying to revitalize the franchise by going back to the roots of Halo. From the looks of Infinite, it seems that 343i has heard the community and is moving back towards the art-style of Bungie's games which is perceived positively by a lot of people. I personally think the longer development cycle is because MS and 343i know that H6 is Halo's last chance at survival, and they want to be cautious about any fast moves. Additionally, I also think that the Slipspace engine is not meant for a "Battle Royale" type of Halo game because that would definitely wipe out Halo's damaged player base. it would be foolish for 343i to embark on such a change. That being said, I have a feeling that the franchise is moving back towards familiar territory and that is a good sign. We just need to be a bit patient.
I think a lot of people are overlooking what happened with MS and 343i during this console generation which has led to a longer development cycle. When the original Xbox one console launched, it was a disaster due to it's sizing and specs, and a broken MCC did not help. To worsen the situation H5 launched with a complete revamp from what was advertised and without game modes, content, and a storyline that people could enjoy. This severely frayed the community and MS/343i have been taking it slow ever since, trying to revitalize the franchise by going back to the roots of Halo. From the looks of Infinite, it seems that 343i has heard the community and is moving back towards the art-style of Bungie's games which is perceived positively by a lot of people. I personally think the longer development cycle is because MS and 343i know that H6 is Halo's last chance at survival, and they want to be cautious about any fast moves. Additionally, I also think that the Slipspace engine is not meant for a "Battle Royale" type of Halo game because that would definitely wipe out Halo's damaged player base. it would be foolish for 343i to embark on such a change. That being said, I have a feeling that the franchise is moving back towards familiar territory and that is a good sign. We just need to be a bit patient.
With the makeover being done to MCC and the mistakes that were made in the past, just maybe there might be a little more optimism warranted. I like to be more on the positive side than the pessimistic. The time factor of building a game from scratch (new engine) is a daunting task. My hats off to 343 taking on the task...
Anyone notice the E3 audience didnt show excitement or even clap even after the trailer?...the whole safari/lion king setting was really weird. Everyone was like..."uh...was that halo?"
Yeah i noticed that too, it seemed like they didnt know what to think. I think we all wanted to see guns and explosions, or some dialog from the current cortana.... something less like the safari lol
Its ridiculous that people are complaining but at the same I can see why. Yes it sucks we're going to have to wait even longer but at the same time its good. We need 343 to take their time and make a good game, halo 4 and 5 were clearly a mess and they need to reevaluate themselves and see what's going on. I hurts my soul to wait another 2-3 years but in the end I think it'll be worth it.
On the bright side, Grim has said on one of the social streams that they are not currently working on a Battle Royale for Halo, so I'd assume that means that Halo Infinite won't have a BR mode.

I've been thinking a lot about the trailer, and it wasn't what I was expecting, but I love it none the less. The fact that 343 has created it's own engine shows that they have incredibly long term plans for the Halo franchise. You don't make an engine for one game.
Regice554 wrote:
Anyone notice the E3 audience didnt show excitement or even clap even after the trailer?...the whole safari/lion king setting was really weird. Everyone was like..."uh...was that halo?"
Yeah i noticed that too, it seemed like they didnt know what to think. I think we all wanted to see guns and explosions, or some dialog from the current cortana.... something less like the safari lol
Lol. And im not trying to be pessimistic just seeing it for what it is instead of blind emotion. The E3 audience was confused even towards the end after MC showed himself (which isnt good). I am glad to see Halo is back regardless. However i really do think 343 needs to knock this out of the park or people really are going to lay Halo to rest. The spark just isnt there anymore. Hopefully absence will make our hearts grow fonder.
stckrboy wrote:
This is why I have trust issues with 343. I waited this long. I am no longer having hype for Halo anymore and that makes me sad. Halo was one of few franchises I actually become hype for!
If you want a solid game that does its best to live up to your expectations then it's going to mean waiting a little longer, or they could rush something out early...
I can't really expect anything out of tech demo, that is the problem, the trailer was just a tech demo and later they made a blog post. Why didn't 343 Studio Head show up at E3 and made announcement?
Who cares if he came or not?

The new engine is massive news. It will open up so many gameplay possibilities.
On the bright side, Grim has said on one of the social streams that they are not currently working on a Battle Royale for Halo, so I'd assume that means that Halo Infinite won't have a BR mode.

I've been thinking a lot about the trailer, and it wasn't what I was expecting, but I love it none the less. The fact that 343 has created it's own engine shows that they have incredibly long term plans for the Halo franchise. You don't make an engine for one game.
Thats true. I do recall Grim saying Halo will NEVER have Battle Royale. In my opinion the engine looks pretty good. The wildlife was interesting to see and it looks like it will be a Far Cry style Installation capture point type of objective. We got a long wait.....
All I know is that hopefully we get something for the wait, because I'm not sure if I can keep playing H5 for ANOTHER 2 YEARS (roughly).
Regice554 wrote:
Lol. And im not trying to be pessimistic just seeing it for what it is instead of blind emotion. The E3 audience was confused even towards the end after MC showed himself (which isnt good). I am glad to see Halo is back regardless. However i really do think 343 needs to knock this out of the park or people really are going to lay Halo to rest. The spark just isnt there anymore. Hopefully absence will make our hearts grow fonder.
Yeah, the halo fan base has taken to many hits. Hopefully 343 gets this game right, and people trust them again. And with luck, the fanbase grows once more
A 5 year development cycle?
Development of the game engine would likely have taken far longer than actually developing the game itself. Actual length of time spent developing the game will likely be less than that of the engine itself.
But for all we know the engine has been done for a while and they are now showing it to us. Showing a teaser over 2 years before release would just piss me and many off. They should have waited than.
The commenters in this thread remind me of Star Wars fans, of which I have a very negative perception regarding.

I, for one, thought the announcement trailer was brilliant, and I really look forward to the game.
So because people aren't 100 percent on board with the changes that makes us equal to star wars fans? Ive been around a decent amount of time to know that I will not be blindly loyal to a franchise just because it has halo or star wars in the title.If I see something that raises concerns for me then I will voice them and I shouldn't get hate for not agreeing with you
Id rather 343 take time with this next game. After the backlash from the campaign and art style of H5 i dont blame 343 for taking time with this one. As long as Infinite delivers the wait will be worth it
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6