343 does too much extra SOURCES COROBORATE

OP iitz ANONYMOUS

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
Anyone else notice how 343 studios focuses on way too much stuff that doesn't have anything to do with making the games?
Why do they always have to release a movie with the game (halo 5 got 2 and a audio thing), several comic books, etc.
All I'm saying is if they put more of the effort they pi it into the out of game experience, the in-game experience would be a ton better. Especially in terms of story

Edit;

This post is not to piss on lore. Lore is good. What 343 does is ONLY make lore. And not good campaigns. That is all. 4 and 5 did this.

Edit 8/19/2020

Ign article says there has been an unusual amount of outsourcing and that managment has focused on a tv show that has distracted production away from the game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-delay-outsourcing-tv-show-distraction-xbox-series-x?sf127049057=1
In terms of story? I'd say that it is improved due to the extra content added before.
There's nothing wrong about producing extra stuff.
Anyone else notice how 343 studios focuses on way too much stuff that doesn't have anything to do with making the games?
Why do they always have to release a movie with the game (halo 5 got 2 and a audio thing), several comic books, etc.
All I'm saying is if they put more of the effort they pi it into the out of game experience, the in-game experience would be a ton better. Especially in terms of story
Martin O'Donnel touches on this point in his excellent interview with Hiddex Xpira. Bungie's philosophy was always game story comes first and all the novels would build around that. The problem with 343i controlling the property is they put the EU at the forefront and the story of the game fails to be a story within itself, because you have to have way too much background information to understand what is going on. In Act Man's video series "Why Was Halo 5 SO BAD?" he really demonstrates how poorly Halo 5's story is told based around these fundamental differences. I 100% agree with you they put way too much effort into branching out the story instead of telling a really rich solid standalone story. I think Star Wars Rise of Skywalker is the greatest essay ever written in how not to tell a story and it's biggest problem is relying on outside material paying off in the movie's narrative.

To their credit, it seems they may have learned from their mistakes, as this is partly the reason this is a spiritual reboot, instead of feeling like a sequel to HW2, H5G and all the EU material, they did their best to rewrite this into a story that holds up on its own. They have stated in interviews that this could be your first Halo game and you can hop right in and know what is happening, but with enough details sprinkled in it will payoff for fans that are paying attention.

So graphics and gameplay debates aside, 343i actually seems to be getting the writing process of the story right... We'll have to see if it holds up!
There isn't and Bungie did it too. But they never let the EU drive the narrative the way 343 does. If you picked up a Halo game from Bungie, it would continue the story where the previous game left off but newcomers needn't play the last title to enjoy. If you look at Halo 5 Guardians, they actually had a list of EU material that was necessary to understand characters and plot threads happening in the game, instead of showing you in the game.

343i put way too much into their other media, a lot like Star Wars Rise of Skywalker
Sometimes there is, there is a comic that follows the events of Halo 4. That reveals the Didact survived for him to only be defeated again in the comic and composed.

It undoes the impact and importance of the Halo 4 story. To make matters worse, it is never even referenced in the future.

Comics shouldn’t trump mainline games.
In terms of story? I'd say that it is improved due to the extra content added before.
How so? In my opinion players shouldn't have to read lore to understand what is happening in a games story. What i'm saying is the resources for writing all this extra outside comics and movies should go to writing the game.
There isn't and Bungie did it too. But they never let the EU drive the narrative the way 343 does. If you picked up a Halo game from Bungie, it would continue the story where the previous game left off but newcomers needn't play the last title to enjoy. If you look at Halo 5 Guardians, they actually had a list of EU material that was necessary to understand characters and plot threads happening in the game, instead of showing you in the game.

343i put way too much into their other media, a lot like Star Wars Rise of Skywalker
There is in my opinion. If the IN-GAME story isn't right, then you shouldn't continuously focus on outside content. Game First. Bungie did it whilst still making good or at least decent in-game stories
Halo 5 was an oddity...The quality of its story would not have changed regardless of Hunt the Truth or whatever books and comics came out. Different writers.
I feel like they should at least wait for people to start caring about their characters before producing a bunch of multimedia surrounding them. You know, test the waters with a game and then start expanding on them.

Except I hate what they did to Alpha-Nine, so actually never mind just get new writers.
Halo 5 was an oddity...The quality of its story would not have changed regardless of Hunt the Truth or whatever books and comics came out. Different writers.
Exactly the point though. Those different writers could have just as easily worked on more of the story instead of outside content

Halo 5's issues aren't from over reliance on EU materials. That is where The Act Man (and so many who just took him for his word), was incorrect in his critique series. Halo 5 either undoes or flat-out ignores previous plot-threads set up in Halo 4, Spartan Ops and the ongoing EU mediums at the time.

Bungie was also very reliant on people having played the previous games to know what is going on in the current one. They, too, also required certain delving into the EU to find answers to certain questions posed in their games.
To their credit, it seems they may have learned from their mistakes, as this is partly the reason this is a spiritual reboot, instead of feeling like a sequel to HW2, H5G and all the EU material, they did their best to rewrite this into a story that holds up on its own. They have stated in interviews that this could be your first Halo game and you can hop right in and know what is happening, but with enough details sprinkled in it will payoff for fans that are paying attention.

So graphics and gameplay debates aside, 343i actually seems to be getting the writing process of the story right... We'll have to see if it holds up!
Writing a face to face over a minute monologue from a brute explaining how he's a badass instead of writing a scene that depicts how badass he is worries me. I don't care if they showed him fighting and doing something cool or if they showed a scene where you can tell how his presence among the other brutes is towering over them in conversation.
Um, i dont think 343 are thebones making these side stories. I imagine the people writing then are chatting
with 343, but not working there.
tL Armada wrote:

Halo 5's issues aren't from over reliance on EU materials. That is where The Act Man (and so many who just took him for his word), was incorrect in his critique series. Halo 5 either undoes or flat-out ignores previous plot-threads set up in Halo 4, Spartan Ops and the ongoing EU mediums at the time.

Bungie was also very reliant on people having played the previous games to know what is going on in the current one. They, too, also required certain delving into the EU to find answers to certain questions posed in their games.
Majority of the info needed to undestand the next bungie halo game could be attained by playing the previous.
Um, i dont think 343 are thebones making these side stories. I imagine the people writing then are chatting
with 343, but not working there.
Answer this. Even if they don't work there. Who are they writing those stories for and on whose dime? Could said dimes be then used to develop campaign?
Not necessarily. It wasn’t a good decision to show the Didact’s death in a comic book. If Halo 4 was the only game we were meant to face him in then he should have been defeated in Halo 4 (Just one example, don’t get me started on blue team in Halo 5).

I agree that if they put more focus on the game’s story’s and less on the expanded media then we might get more quality. Love expanded media don’t get me wrong but take Bungie’s advice 343- the games come first. Hopefully we see that in Infinite.
tL Armada wrote:
Majority of the info needed to undestand the next bungie halo game could be attained by playing the previous.
The majority, yes. But things like how Johnson survived Halo: CE; context for why Chief decided to randomly jump from the Dreadnought in Halo 3; and quite a few aspects for Reach are left completely unanswered if you simply play the games.

By and large they had understandable plots and stories, but Bungie isn't so innocent of EU-reliance that people make them out to be.
Exactly the point though. Those different writers could have just as easily worked on more of the story instead of outside content
Writing a book isn't the same as writing a video game story, and there's absolutely no guarantee that those writers would have even been hired/contracted.
tL Armada wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
The majority, yes. But things like how Johnson survived Halo: CE; context for why Chief decided to randomly jump from the Dreadnought in Halo 3; and quite a few aspects for Reach are left completely unanswered if you simply play the games.

By and large they had understandable plots and stories, but Bungie isn't so innocent of EU-reliance that people make them out to be.
All that can be explained in lore, but you still understand the story. That's how lore is supposed to work
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11