[Locked] 343 gotta be honest on this game engine

OP Cecchino123

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
got to love how so many people ignore the purpose of an engine. It's not always about pure graphics. It's about access to tools, the flexibility of the system, etc. Really, we don't know the backend of the engine, if its as flexible as 343 says, it is pretty powerful, even if its not 100% focused on graphic fidelity (which should rarely ever be the focus, especially in a shooter)
Im glad someone else noticed this. Slipspace is nothing but a heavily reworked Halo 5 engine (looks NOTHING like their in engine demo 2 years ago). Normally that wouldn't be a bad thing if they could AT LEAST hit the visual fidelity mark of Halo 5 in an open world setting. Yet somehow, it barely looks better than Halo 3. Put Arbi from Halo 5 next to Escharum (?) from Infinite, its a significant downgrade for "the most powerful console".

I can't blame 343 as much as Phil Spencer for shackling this monster to that 8 year old VCR relic of an Xbox.

Remember, they're saying this is the ONLY Halo game we're going to get for 10 years. Any hope anyone has for a better, more "next-gen", super-ambitious Halo (ie a fully explorable ring world) is already DOA. Whatever they have now, that's it, for 10 years as they bolt on expansions and "upgrades" (ironically like a Lego set).

Its not good for Xbox, Halo fans or 343i. This game should have put Halo (and Xbox) back on the map, instead its going to fuel bad press about how lousy Series X consoles end up selling. Its a shame this is where Phil has led the Xbox brand.
got to love how so many people ignore the purpose of an engine. It's not always about pure graphics. It's about access to tools, the flexibility of the system, etc. Really, we don't know the backend of the engine, if its as flexible as 343 says, it is pretty powerful, even if its not 100% focused on graphic fidelity (which should rarely ever be the focus, especially in a shooter)
Glad that this thread has moved many comments and opinions.

Speaking for myself, i know what you're talking about. An engine isn't only for graphics, but look to what MS marketing went: you can resume it in "No loading times" and "120/60fps 4k with raytracing" on a console. People expects a proper demo that shows how much powerful it is.

We all know what the lockdown has caused, but let's be honest: wouldn't be better if 343/MS postponed the Halo infinite demo rather than what they've done now?
One word: Demo
That took 5 years.
The demo didn't take 5 years. The game did. But you have to realize when they started building Infinite XSX wasn't even in development yet. And as XSX did come around they had to take time to build a new engine as well as go through a few different development kits before Xbox decided on the final specs for XSX. It's very unrealistic to expect a "true" next gen experience with launch titles as there are multiple development changes through the process of designing/building new consoles. Both in terms of hardware specs and software development.
Glad that this thread has moved many comments and opinions.

Speaking for myself, i know what you're talking about. An engine isn't only for graphics, but look to what MS marketing went: you can resume it in "No loading times" and "120/60fps 4k with raytracing" on a console. People expects a proper demo that shows how much powerful it is.

We all know what the lockdown has caused, but let's be honest: wouldn't be better if 343/MS postponed the Halo infinite demo rather than what they've done now?
oh I agree, it was a poor demo showing. However, I wont use that to knock the engine. At least not yet
Bryceton42 wrote:
Three hundred sixty words: Your just are jealous you can’t make a game like them, because you were mad at the engine you might of hurt a dev’s heart. Every time before you speak think before so buddy.
who are you directing this to??
Sebbe29 wrote:
The demo usually looks better than the end product so thats what worries everybody
Well, that is a bad thing, because Demos are always supposed to show a work in progress
Why would they show anything less than the highest graphical fidelity on their flagship IP to show off the power of their new console?
Because demos are always a work in progress. How hard is it to understand??
My guess is most people weren't watching in a high quality stream. I was on apple tv 4k, 65 inch tv and it was beautiful
THAT'S NOT THE CASE AT ALL. Tons of people have 4k tvs and have awenbit in 4k and are disappointed. The game is not looking good considering this is on a console that blows the xb1x away in every area. I would wager most of the really accurate criticism is coming from people who are more savvy and are watching it at 4k because we can see all the details and graphical flourishes that are missing, like ambient occlusion, fine detail on the textures, and last gen looking particle effects.
cc42 wrote:
My guess is most people weren't watching in a high quality stream. I was on apple tv 4k, 65 inch tv and it was beautiful
THAT'S NOT THE CASE AT ALL. Tons of people have 4k tvs and have awenbit in 4k and are disappointed. The game is not looking good considering this is on a console that blows the xb1x away in every area. I would wager most of the really accurate criticism is coming from people who are more savvy and are watching it at 4k because we can see all the details and graphical flourishes that are missing, like ambient occlusion, fine detail on the textures, and last gen looking particle effects.
looked good to me. We’ve been down this road with a Halo before. People crying for nothing.
Why would they show anything less than the highest graphical fidelity on their flagship IP to show off the power of their new console?
Because demos are always a work in progress. How hard is it to understand??
Yeah, i suggest people to go watch the Halo 5 sprint videos (all of them, or just the e3 ones) to get an idea how time consuming making a game/demo is.
IMO this whole thread aged like milk.
I had a thread talking about this exact thing a month ago. That the engine is just a rebuilt Blam! Engine and some people didn't believe me or didn't think it mattered.
Please don't revive old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4