OP Axiios

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Axiios wrote:
People will read this and say - "The game is a year away...chill bro..." & although I complete agree and understand that stance...here is the reality - 343 has NOTHING to show for this game or the state that it's in...that should be a point of concern for the Halo community.
A lack of content shown is not proof of a lack of content. To state it another way: just because 343 hasn't shown us much doesn't mean they have nothing to show. And to be fair (I feel like I've been having to say that a lot lately lol), 343 has released more than just two trailers. They've done interviews, social streams, and a variety of other stuff talking about Infinite. That's how we know there will be microtransactions, split screen, etc in the game.

Furthermore, and has been mentioned before by myself and others, I think 343 learned some hard lessons with H5's marketing campaign and are taking a more conservative approach to releasing details about their game.
Axiios wrote:
IF they had a great game in the making, the would give us something to hold onto or to be hyped about. It's a shame how they have 0 to tell us or show us about this mysterious game that people are excited about.

If they don't release a VIDoc or info on the game, or gameplay soon...I can see people loosing interest.
As far as building hype goes, just look at this thread... we're building all the hype ourselves with hardly any input from 343. It's quite a genius marketing strategy when you think about it. For very little comparative cost, we're doing all the marketing for them by speculating on the game, generating traffic on Halo-centric Youtube channels, and many other ways.
As far as building hype goes, just look at this thread... we're building all the hype ourselves with hardly any input from 343. It's quite a genius marketing strategy when you think about it. For very little comparative cost, we're doing all the marketing for them by speculating on the game, generating traffic on Halo-centric Youtube channels, and many other ways.
Is that really the case though? The Halo community seems rather dead at the moment tbh...
Is that really the case though? The Halo community seems rather dead at the moment tbh...
It would be one way or the other though. H5 is not really beloved, MCC on Xone was a total failure sadly and let's not even start with H4... If that's not enough Hi is going to be released five years after the last main title, therefore I doubt the community would be alive and well even with a gameplay video on our hands.

That said MS through Phil Spencer warned us well over two years ago about their changes in marketing strategies. Hi at this point is basically one step from the finishing line, but they won't show anything until the release date gets closer. If That wasn't the case, I doubt MS would have changed so many leading roles at 343i. My guess is they're getting prepared for H7 already. Hi can't be behind schedule either: it has to be ready for the XBox Scarlet launch, doesn't matter what. XBox Game Studios for sure did everything in their power to make it happen and than some!

All the bad news and lack of content is concerning on the surface of course, but when you think about with a calm and reasonable mind it's all quite logical and calculated.

Last thing MS is concentrating their marketing on services and a game at a time. Gears is over, now it's the turn of MCC on Steam with Reach as a front flag! Only than we MIGHT get something Hi related, but I doubt it. E3 is going to be the big reveal most probably.
With it being a year away they definitely could show us stuff, they're just not. Microsoft is being a lot more careful about showing off their games, not just Halo Infinotd but most of their games, we only started getting big info on Gears 5 within 6 months of release for example. If they literally didn't have anything that they could show at this point there would 100% be at least a year delay... or they'd force the launch and we'd end up with another H5 at launch or worse.
With so many "Hunt the truth" clues and hints still hidden in the Game Engine Demo and Trailer that many players have missed, perhaps 343i don't feel the need to reveal more yet...

Try watching them again.

The Game Engine Demo has a double and even triple layer storyboard for those that can read the Film Code with:

- Pictionary style clues making Halo references (Halo: Reach, Halo: Escalation #8-#10, Halo 3, Halo 5)

- Puzzle Codes (3-Trees Puzzle from the 123- Code from Halo 5, Radio Morse Code)

- Stylistic references to another game which links back to Frank O'Connor's original suggestion about Halo 6 being "an exploration game" set amongst the Xenoarchaeology of the original Halo Ring (Zeta Halo).

Meanwhile, in the trailer, only those who "Seek the truth. Behold the Truth. Reveal the truth" will spot what so many have missed about bees and spiders, and whether the trailer or the audio clip is actually Cortana...

Sooo many clues, and sooo many "Memories of Reach" involving those "dear to our hearts" / "deer to our harts", one of whom raises so noble a number "6" on their antler, just before we see 3 leafless trees standing like "pillars of autumn" against that backdrop of pines...

Cortana is innocent and will yet return in Halo Infinite! YAY! ;-)
Axiios wrote:
I have been hopeful for this game since the first teaser trailer at E3 2018...I thought "I can't wait to learn more about the next Halo game." - a year went by & we were told NOTHING & shown NOTHING.

fast forward an entire year to the next E3 2019...we get an in-game cinematic...with 0 gameplay...& guess what? NOTHING else was told to us or shown to us.

People will read this and say - "The game is a year away...chill bro..." & although I complete agree and understand that stance...here is the reality - 343 has NOTHING to show for this game or the state that it's in...that should be a point of concern for the Halo community.

I love this game with all my heart, & would love to see Halo return to its throne as THE FPS to play...but at this point I just can't hold onto the false hope of 343 delivering.

IF they had a great game in the making, the would give us something to hold onto or to be hyped about. It's a shame how they have 0 to tell us or show us about this mysterious game that people are excited about.

If they don't release a VIDoc or info on the game, or gameplay soon...I can see people loosing interest.
I wish they would have shown more to be honest
Here are some facts about when gameplay was show the first time for different Halo games:

Halo 2: E3 2003 demo (16 months before release); not representative of final game
Halo 3: Et Tu Brute (9 months before release)
Halo Reach: Once More Unto the Breach (7 months before release)
Halo 4: Making Halo 4: First Look (7 months before release)
Halo 5: Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta First Look (14 months before release)

On average, first gameplay for Halo games is shown 11 months before release, 9 if you exclude Halo 2. 7 months is not exceptional. We are currently 13–15 months from release.
Hi at this point is basically one step from the finishing line,
One year before release? I really doubt that...

If That wasn't the case, I doubt MS would have changed so many leading roles at 343i.
If anything having a having many roles changed mid-development is concerning.

Hi can't be behind schedule either: it has to be ready for the XBox Scarlet launch, doesn't matter what.
And not meeting a deadline/halfassing to meet a deadline is something that has never happend in game development and never will...

Last thing MS is concentrating their marketing on services and a game at a time. Gears is over, now it's the turn of MCC on Steam with Reach as a front flag! Only than we MIGHT get something Hi related, but I doubt it. E3 is going to be the big reveal most probably.
Gears 5 marketing was lackluster at best.
Really? I mean people are a bit distracted with games like Gears and the COD beta releasing recently, but that doesn't mean it's dead. Think back to the E3 trailer for Infinite... people were losing their freaking minds watching that thing. It was one of the most hyped games of E3 2019 if I recall correctly (at least for Xbox fans). The crowd reactions alone are enough to suggest Halo's community is far from dead, but the reviews and articles produced after E3 2019 further confirmed that people are genuinely hyped for this game.
One year before release? I really doubt that...
The game had a five years development circle. That's huge for a shooter, even if you count the lost time they had to deal with the new Slipspace engine. Also I'm not saying the game is gold already, but I'm sure the game is way beyond of just being playable. Or at least it should be.

It's not mid development though, it's close to end development if something. Hi should come out together with Scarlet in between 11 to 13 months and a game should go gold at least three months before that to ensure the disc printing ans shipping phase. Or at least that used to be the status quo, in the digital era a lot might have changed now, I give you that but in both cases 343i doesn't have much time left if you think about it.

And not meeting a deadline/halfassing to meet a deadline is something that has never happend in game development and never will...
Oh! They might halfyoinking a lot, I'm well aware of that! X'D But that wasn't the point of my comment mate! :)

I'm saying the game is coming out with the Scarlet no matter what, there is too much on the table for MS for failing that release window! That was the point! However - to open up a new parentesie - it's also in MS's best interest to create something the player-base actually want to play, a real killer app if I may use the term. I don't know if this is going to be a Halo I enjoy, and they also might fail royally in delivering a good game, but MS gave them well enough time to deliver something good, to deliver in time and they also opened their money bank to ensure a good quality product.

So is possible we might get a half-baked product still even with all that prep-time? Sure. Doubtful, but it could happen. Are they missing the deadline though? Heck no! In any case I'm sure we're not seeing yet another Anthem situation here!

Gears 5 marketing was lackluster at best.
That's the one point I actually agree with you. I hate this new marketing politic! Because sure, it helps MS in avoiding false advertising in the case things change close to release or when they cancel production like in case of Project Spark, Phantom Dust and such, but it also mean we're getting little to no info until the game is basically behind the corner. And I don't mean just gameplay like tsassi mentioned prior. For instance we didn't saw the gameplay of H5 until 14 months before the public beta, but we still saw mechanics discussions and presentations, 343i talked openly about the story, characters, world we would visit! What do we know about Hi? It's going to be on the ring, it has a more Halo atmosphere in the art-style and Brohammer is going to be yoinking awesome - that's it. So no,I'm not a fan of this!

BUT -> and this time it's a big "but", one statement is that I don't like this new system, another is explaining the new system and why they implemented it. I did the second one! In other words, because of this new terrible marketing ploit don't expect to get anything substential until we get a lot closer to the releaseing window!
The game had a five years development circle. That's huge for a shooter, even if you count the lost time they had to deal with the new Slipspace engine. Also I'm not saying the game is gold already, but I'm sure the game is way beyond of just being playable. Or at least it should be.
Five years if they didn't start over sometime in 2017. I would have to do some digging but iirc there were some red flags around late 2017 that did hint at some major shift in development.
It's not mid development though, it's close to end development if something. Hi should come out together with Scarlet in between 11 to 13 months and a game should go gold at least three months before that to ensure the disc printing ans shipping phase. Or at least that used to be the status quo, in the digital era a lot might have changed now, I give you that but in both cases 343i doesn't have much time left if you think about it.
I don't think any game is going gold 3 months before release these days anymore. If anything "going gold" at all is just symbolic and relic of the past with massive day-one patches and "games as a service".

Oh! They might halfyoinking a lot, I'm well aware of that! X'D But that wasn't the point of my comment mate! :)
Well you said 343 cannot be behind schedule because they have a deadline, but having a deadline doesn't mean that you're not behind schedule, which, as you metioned can lead to a rushed game. I don't doubt the game will be pushed out next year no matter what.
I'm sure we're not seeing yet another Anthem situation here!
Sure, I don't have much hope for HI left (due to how H4/5 turned out) but I agree that MS will not allow such a trainwreck. But it's not a issue that is either black or white.
Wait and see ! ;)
If That wasn't the case, I doubt MS would have changed so many leading roles at 343i.
It's not really concerning at all. People of all levels move jobs all the time for a variety of reasons, doesn't always affect development. There's nothing, beyond speculation, to suggest that any of the recent changes have had a negative affect on 343's development progress on Infinite.
There should be more when they are ready, some games may take longer than others, and I'm pretty sure they are also adding some of the communities ideas.
I know right? I'm sick of 343 boring us out with what could be a terrible game, especially if they go all-out nostalgia mode in 2020
stckrboy wrote:
It's not really concerning at all. People of all levels move jobs all the time for a variety of reasons, doesn't always affect development. There's nothing, beyond speculation, to suggest that any of the recent changes have had a negative affect on 343's development progress on Infinite.
in the end, we will never know about any negative effects anything might have or might not have on development. Most devs/publishers try really hard to not unsettle any players. So yeah, it's not a 100% sure that something happend that shouldn't have happend but pretending like it's all fine for sure and ignoring that it could just as well be a bad sign is a bit naive in todays gaming world...
Well to be fair OP, they did something similar to what you said about having no gameplay n such back in 2018 with the initial teaser. Then cue up E3 earlier this year, sure we got to see some more, but I agree I would've like to see more things teased/showcased for Infinite at E3(something was better than nothing honestly), but it's also worth noting to keep in mind we have a little over a year yet before the game official is released. During that time, it'll give 343 time to make new ads, teasers, etc. to showcase for us until it's release.
Axiios wrote:
I have been hopeful for this game since the first teaser trailer at E3 2018...I thought "I can't wait to learn more about the next Halo game." - a year went by & we were told NOTHING & shown NOTHING.

fast forward an entire year to the next E3 2019...we get an in-game cinematic...with 0 gameplay...& guess what? NOTHING else was told to us or shown to us.

I love this game with all my heart, & would love to see Halo return to its throne as THE FPS to play...but at this point I just can't hold onto the false hope of 343 delivering.

I tend to think it’s actually more of a case of wanting a big surprise. People typically react to that better and then criticize and pick it apart later on....whereas if you release everything too early nothing is a surprise, and you could open yourself to criticism before the product is even out, leading to rush change orders on the product, leading to a bad launch with patches and bugs etcetera etcetera etcetera.

I thought they didn’t have anything at first either but I’m thinking now they are just trying to do some smart marketing in the wake of previous information dumps and massive ad campaigns that led to big disappointment in the past. They’re not going to reveal anything till they are fully ready and when they do, it probably won’t be a lot but it will be big. Just like the last two glimpses we got. Then the game will drop and it will be a “nice surprise” so to speak when we get to discover what lies in wait, leading to a more positive impact on the players psyches, even if they don’t like the game as much as previous installments.

Think of it like movies.
Wait till the new year webwill probably get alot more info then. I would like to see a screen shot of a new weapon or a new vehicle
I think that they're being smart about it. Last time they came out early there was a whole marketing campaign that didn't relate to the game at all. They were working on to much criticism at a point in development where acting on it caused the game to be half baked more than it already was gonna be. They need this game to hit big and sell alot! So they're gonna hit big with just letting the game show it's off right before release instead of smoke and mirrors, pre recorded b s. Also you need to think, this is the first halo to ship out the gate with a brand new console, a console that we have no clue about what's going on within it as well so Microsoft wants to have all this halo hype bundled up in that short period too to sell the console. When they start showing off halo Infinite, it's going to be yoinking huge!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4