Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

343 saying this will be accessible for new players

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo needs to players to feel welcome. However, after the debacle of H5G story where even hardcore fans were confused if you didn't read 3 books, 2 comics, and watch a TV Movie to understand anything from 5. This is good, but does have me slightly worried
I think its going to be a return to form kind of game while not being so narrative focus like Halo 4 and "Halo 5". I would have a guess its going to focus on the events on the ring and not rely on past Halo stories and games to make you understand events. Kind of like how Halo CE introduced you to the Halo universe of a sense. Your on a ship fleeing the created, your on a losing side of a war, your some big dude in green armor, you have to repeal the enemy from taking the ship (thus teaching you the basic mechanics naturally) then escape to the ring for whatever 343 has in mind for this game.

Someone at 343 (I think it was Frank) said that the next Halo games will tell a simpler story. So I would take that as it going back to past Halo games of telling you want you need to know in the moment and focus on what's going on. Think self contain story. While having terminals, overheard dialogue, and maybe even background lore like ancient writing (something like Dead Space writing on the wall that needs a language key to understand) to give aspects to the greater halo mythos and get new people interested into the series or be fun easter eggs. For Co-op I hope they have the Halo 3 feature where you are different characters. Be fun to hear blue team interact with each other and maybe hint at a little lore or expand on their personalities. Since we don't have the back and forth with Cortana or Sgt. Johnson.
I don't think 343 will rip off Halo CE like JJ Abrams did a New Hope. I think they might do the initial defend the ship from being boarded and then escape to the ring since well that is a good tutorial and awe moment in Halo CE. And if flood make a return then probably a blow up the ring with the ship you came in on kind of deal. Other than that, I feel like 343 will focus more of finding survivors, discovering forerunner stuff, rescue Anders(?), maybe a hint at a cure to the logic plague, the need to return to the ark in the next game, and a ending shot of Chief on the bridge of the ship relaxed that this time he saved Dusten Echoes.
I definitely hope not. I am scared because Master Chief has his old armour back and is on a Halo ring. I would not be happy if they did a soft reboot like The Force Awakens.
They already confirmed that’s it’s a sequel to halo 5
I think you overthink things.
Yeah. Every dev says they want new players to be able to ease in. Every Halo game was accessible from a gameplay standard.
You can say that about any Halo game. The first Halo I played was Halo 3. I didn't pay much attention to the story at the time because I was having fun with a good game. As time went on, I got other games and looked more into the story and what the game was as a series.

Why would you not make a new game with the intention that anyone playing would be comfortable doing so?
I definitely hope not. I am scared because Master Chief has his old armour back and is on a Halo ring. I would not be happy if they did a soft reboot like The Force Awakens.
They already confirmed that’s it’s a sequel to halo 5
I know but it could be like Halo 1 again just under different circumstances. Just like the force awakens.
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo needs to players to feel welcome. However, after the debacle of H5G story where even hardcore fans were confused if you didn't read 3 books, 2 comics, and watch a TV Movie to understand anything from 5. This is good, but does have me slightly worried
Halo 5 wasn't really all that confusing or overly reliant on the EU. The Guardiand for instance, amd the Created as well, were not set up in the novels beforehand. It wasn't even reliant on Halo 4, since it pretty much undid Halo 4 in the first two missions.

The truth is that it just wasn't good.
That is concerning I suppose since most games that try to be inclusive to newer players end up hurting themselves in the end, largely in reputation and sales (Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Gears of War: Judgment, and we are seeing it now with BF5 and BO4 trying to bring Battle Royale into their games to take that audience.), but there is no real context to anything he said... yet.
I feel his comment will effect multiplayer more than it will story line. which in turn means halo 5 multiplayer 2.0 wohooo….
It should be. What better way to deter new fans from a franchise than to make the game not accessible to people who are interested?

I'd argue the opposite effect happened with Halo 4 and 5. Long time fans were alienated from Halo because of massive changes in established mechanics.

Whatever they decide, this game should be easy to pick up yet be a challenge to master, as with any game.
Maybe they're taking a much simpler route for storytelling than requiring fans to read out of game lore to understand better like in H5. Then maybe the stuff that's directly tied to H5 will be thoroughly explained in the game so you don't need to play H5 to understand what's going on.
I think what Frankie means is that this time around they'll be doing a better job of catching players up to speed and giving them some sort of background as to what has happened so far in the Halo Universe. This is something that would've benefited Halo 5, because even faithful Halo players were sorta in the dark as to what was going on. I hope the prologue is a cutscene that recaps everything up to this point, or maybe a playable mission that lets you partake in critical moments from past games. That'd be so cool.
Maybe they're taking a much simpler route for storytelling than requiring fans to read out of game lore to understand better like in H5. Then maybe the stuff that's directly tied to H5 will be thoroughly explained in the game so you don't need to play H5 to understand what's going on.
Thing is, you didn't even really need to consume the lore to understand Halo 5. You get some character background for Locke (Nightfall), Buck (New Blood), Vale (Hunters in the Dark), and Tanaka (Halo: Escalation 17-18), but the important bits from that are in-game. Blue Team is explained as being Chief's old team from during the war. I'd argue the only real thing you'd need to be aware of is what happened between Halsey, Jul and the Infinity with the Janus Key during Halo: Escalation, but even that went nowhere in the grand scheme of things, so you could technically transition from Spartan Ops to Halo 5 with a "X Months Later" deal.

Not to say this means Halo 5's story was good, it wasn't, but the "too deep in the lore" criticism is very overblown in my opinion. Better connections could have been made, certainly.
Thing is, you didn't even really need to consume the lore to understand Halo 5. You get some character background for Locke (Nightfall), Buck (New Blood), Vale (Hunters in the Dark), and Tanaka (Halo: Escalation 17-18), but the important bits from that are in-game. Blue Team is explained as being Chief's old team from during the war. I'd argue the only real thing you'd need to be aware of is what happened between Halsey, Jul and the Infinity with the Janus Key during Halo: Escalation, but even that went nowhere in the grand scheme of things, so you could technically transition from Spartan Ops to Halo 5 with a "X Months Later" deal.

Not to say this means Halo 5's story was good, it wasn't, but the "too deep in the lore" criticism is very overblown in my opinion. Better connections could have been made, certainly.
Fair points, I guess in terms of actual plot the game is pretty self explanatory, however brief. Character backstory is where it was lacking, maybe that's what they're referring to? Fleshing out characters so that you understand their motives better? Or maybe the story will feel more like a standalone than a straight sequel even though we know it takes place after H5, hard to tell with so little information.
*playing Combat Evolved for the first time*

"As for tracking us all the way from Reach at light speed, my maneuvering options were limited"

From reach? Reach from what? Weapons reach? Is "reach" a noun here? What the heck is a Reach? DO I HAVE TO READ A BOOK YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR GAME, BUNGIE?!?!
*playing Combat Evolved for the first time*

"As for tracking us all the way from Reach at light speed, my maneuvering options were limited"

From reach? Reach from what? Weapons reach? Is "reach" a noun here? What the heck is a Reach? DO I HAVE TO READ A BOOK YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR GAME, BUNGIE?!?!
People say that's different...for some reason.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2