Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

343i taking a new approach with cutscenes?

OP Alta Fuzz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The entire scene with the pilot and Chief used only 3 shots, and I know it might not seem like a big deal but it's actually a huge difference to how cutscenes played out in previous games. Usually we're use to seeing the camera jump to different angles numerous times in one scene.

Using longer camera shots is better for immersion because it makes you feel like you're there. Watch the trailer again, you'll see what I mean!

What does everyone else think? Longer shots good or bad? I say good!
Alta Fuzz wrote:
The entire scene with the pilot and Chief used only 3 shots, and I know it might not seem like a big deal but it's actually a huge difference to how cutscenes played out in previous games. Usually we're use to seeing the camera jump to different angles numerous times in one scene.

Using longer camera shots is better for immersion because it makes you feel like you're there. Watch the trailer again, you'll see what I mean!

What does everyone else think? Longer shots good or bad?
Honestly, the shots make the trailer better. I like were they are going with this kind of cinematography.
I enjoyed the trailer’s camera work a lot as well. Gameplay can be thought of as one long take, so having cutscenes that follow a similar style bridges that gap between participant and observer well. 343i is setting the bar really high with all that we’ve been shown so far haha. Really hoping the final game turns out to be as good as the trailers.
There being no gap-cut is GREAT
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I dont think that was the cutscrne, 343 wouldn't give us a cutscene straight way when the game releases in hoilday 2020.
AMA4N wrote:
I dont think that was the cutscrne, 343 wouldn't give us a cutscene straight way when the game releases in hoilday 2020.
It's been said to be part of the opening cinematic.
I didn't notice that, nice eye. I REALLY like it.
AMA4N wrote:
Chris Lee stated it was part of the opening cinematic, link here, and that worries me a little because I'm not sure how I feel about the E3 showing, I would say I'm a little disappointed, let down and confused at this time.
Both trailers had great cinematography (is there a game version?), which is good considering one was focused on landscapes, while the other was focused. Again, another good sign that Halo [6]: Infinite is going the right way.
Longer continuous shots are definitely more interesting, probably because fast cuts between scenes are the norm. It's hard to say what this means for the rest of the game's cinematography, but if this is sign of a less conventional cinematography, then it's definitely a welcome one. I would appreciate a slower paced cinematography that longer shots naturally enable, and perhaps along that I could hope for a slower paced campaign overall.
Alta Fuzz wrote:

What does everyone else think? Longer shots good or bad? I say good!
Cinematography wise I think it is really weird if you ask me, the camera movement feels like it is a theater mode or like if you are a spectator in the same room as the characters.
It gives too much drama to the guy trying to close the breach of the pelican with a close in his face, when he tries to communicate to in the controls of the pelican the music is one thing, then when the guy cleans up the window it suddenly changes to another music kinda awkardly.
Then a huge drama to the "please, don't die", then finnaly it gets better to the point when Chief wakes up.
tsassi wrote:
Longer continuous shots are definitely more interesting, probably because fast cuts between scenes are the norm. It's hard to say what this means for the rest of the game's cinematography, but if this is sign of a less conventional cinematography, then it's definitely a welcome one. I would appreciate a slower paced cinematography that longer shots naturally enable, and perhaps along that I could hope for a slower paced campaign overall.
agreed I would love a longer than normal halo campaign
eviltedi wrote:
AMA4N wrote:
Chris Lee stated it was part of the opening cinematic, link here, and that worries me a little because I'm not sure how I feel about the E3 showing, I would say I'm a little disappointed, let down and confused at this time.
Why?
This was a very interesting way to do the opening cinematic of the game. Looked quite good. Though I do think for other cinematics they might also have the more traditional type of cutscenes with cuts and other things.
eviltedi wrote:
AMA4N wrote:
I personally feel that a lot of the underwhelming/disappointed feelings come from it being a year since the last trailer and all we got is a trailer with about the same amount of information story/gameplay wise as the last trailer. I feel like in the context of the game, especially if it's only part of the opening cinematic so we get some questions answered in the rest or over the course of the campaign, it won't be as disappointing. That's just what I feel though, apologies if I'm misinterpreting your thoughts.
The fluid continuous shots are fantastic! I love that more games are using them now!
They're nice, but there are other times that more cuts can be used very effectively for conveying ideas without out-right saying them.
They're nice, but there are other times that more cuts can be used very effectively for conveying ideas without out-right saying them.
Yeah, I think for other cutscenes they’ll do cuts and not all single-shots.
For all the faults I gave to 343i for how they handled Halo 4, the cinematography was never one of those. Quite the opposite in fact! ...and than H5 came along and threw their one saving grace out of the window.

Therefore I'm happy 343 is once more experimenting with more interesting cameras and perspectives. Also kudos to the community for noticing in first place! It's not something the average viewer would think about!^^
tsassi wrote:
agreed I would love a longer than normal halo campaign
I wasn't talking about a longer campaign though, just one with a slower pace. As far as I'm concerned, the campaign should be as long as it needs to be and no longer. If that means a typical Halo campaign, then that's fine by me. I care more about the quality than quantity.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2