Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

A very depressing cliffhanger

OP ODST from 105th

I'm really hoping that we get this as the ending for Halo: Infinite. Too long has it been since our backs were against the wall. Too long has it been since the odds were stacked completely against us. Too long has it been since we all felt hopeless.

Imagine it. Halsey disappears into a portal, Infinite is heavily damaged and is going to crash into a planet, Chief abandons everyone (and I do mean everyone, he gets in a Prowler or Condor and leaves Blue Team and everyone else behind), Cortana dies, the Arbiter betrays us in order to save his own people and to wrap it all up, the Flood return.

Just imagine it. Everything going wrong. And the game ends with Lasky yelling "Everybody hold on! Just hold on!" and Palmer yelling "Brace for impact!"

And then it cuts to black and the credits start rolling.

Making us all wonder for the next 3-4 years how we get out of that situation will build hype for the next installment.
I'm usually fine with cliffhangers but this doesnt sound like a good idea. H5 already ended on a large cliffhanger so even if infinite leaves some loose strings to lead into future content, there needs to be some kind of resolution.

And a cliffhanger has to be something that's well crafted, there's a build up to it, and yeah, there's often a twist but the twist makes sense in the context of the universe. A few of these don't make sense, like chief abandoning people and arbiter turning on his allies. That's entirely out of character for both of them and would need some pretty good explanations written into the story for them to act this way.
There's also way too much going on here, it'd make the ending seem like a jumbled mess, plus with the lack of context that all of these desperately need, it makes the story you're envisioning sound like it has zero flow or structure to it, rather it's all events happening for the sake of happening and twists for the sake of twists.
One last thing, a cliffhanger ending will provide hype for only so long. H5 and hw2 both had such endings (one arguably better than the other) and we've reached a point where the hype train ran out of steam and now all the passengers are pushing it down the tracks because it ultimately depends on constant news or updates of some sort on 343s end
I'm gonna have to say a BIG no.
Out of all things, Chief would NEVER leave anyone behind. It goes against what Sam said:
Quote:
John has 3 ways of reacting to you. If you were his superior, he would obey you. If you were in his squad, he would die for you. But if you were his enemy... God help you.
The Infinity is often asked to be destroyed. Me, I'm just against that. The common argument is that "The Infinity is a plot device so Humans never lose.", which is blatantly false. The Infinity's not only been boarded at least twice, but is completely outmached by, say, Guardians. And there's an A LOT of Guardians
The Arbiter betraying us goes against his goals. It's true, he would choose his people over anyone else, but he wouldn't betray us, Humanity, one of his closest allies. At most he would reject aiding us.
As for the Flood, I want them to return, but not without reason. I don't want them in the story for the sake of being there, but have an actual purpose. Actually, they'd need an explanation for their return in the first place, because they're not the Taken, and can't appear out of nowhere for the sake of it.
While the Reclaimer Trilogy is no longer a trilogy (but a saga), Infinite doesn't need to end in a cliffhangar.
if they can hit the mark of Halo 3 kinda had of how everything was going against humanity they were desperate, out gunned, out manned, completely out manoeuvred and to top it all off an enemy the likes they completely can't comprehend.

that probably just me wanting to see dark fantasy of how far the story can go before the chief is just a broken man whose lost all hope for the universe.

overall i think Infinity going to leave us with more questions then answers as we know some sort of conflict with Cortana going to get resolved as an even mightier foe is revealed in some way.
I don't think Infinite is the game to pull the "Empire Strikes Back," kind of ending with. Halo 5, despite its campaign being pretty vapid and uninspired, did leave humanity up against a very big problem. Cortana and the Created represent the biggest threat to Humanity and the galaxy as a whole since the Flood, and it's possible (NOT confirmed) that the Flood aren't even down and out in Infinite. There's plenty of adversity going into this game.

I can agree that until the last act of Halo 5, everything felt like it was going uncharacteristically well for Humanity in the Halo Universe. We weren't being driven to the brink of extinction on multiple deadly fronts like in CE-Reach, and it felt strange. That desperation is a major tonal factor in all the Bungie Era games, and I agree that Halo 4 felt strange without it. It injected a lot more of an optimistic Star Trek-y feel into the games with the Infinity, Spartan IV's, etc. The way to think of it is that this was four years into a golden age for Humanity, where hope existed again for the first time in decades since the Covenant struck Harvest. It was a weird new tone, and I didn't like it at first. Even accepting it now, I prefer the Halo games that make you feel like everything depends on Chief.

I expect Infinite will play up the dire straits of Cortana and the Created and/or any additional threats (new or old) facing Humanity. I think it'll do this to establish severe stakes, and then follow up on resolving them and restoring hope once again very much in the vein of Halo 3.

Just my projection, though. Personally, I don't think I'll be super satisfied with Infinite if it resolves on a low note like you've outlined in your original post. We'll have waited five years for the resolution of Guardian's cliffhanger by the time this game launches. I'm thinking I'll just be frustrated if it's just replaced with another curt and disheartening cliffhanger and a "to be continued in half a decade."
I agree with the sentiment that we need our backs against the wall again. And for better or worse, the Created Uprising has done that. But I don't agree with a big cliffhanger ending. H3 had a satisfying conclusion to its trilogy and there are many parallels between the new trilogy and the original trilogy. So Infinite might actually be better off coming to a satisfying conclusion. Or at least one satisfying conclusion while leaving something else to continue the story for another game.
The Infinity is often asked to be destroyed. Me, I'm just against that. The common argument is that "The Infinity is a plot device so Humans never lose.", which is blatantly false. The Infinity's not only been boarded at least twice, but is completely outmached by, say, Guardians. And there's an A LOT of Guardians
The problem with the Infinity is that it gives carte blanche to the writers to just pull some deus ex machina out of no where when they write themselves into a corner. It has the potential to promote lazy writing because any situation can be resolved with "then the Infinity deployed/initiated [insert deus ex machina here]".

Its very existence makes little sense to me. With the resources devoted to that single ship, the UNSC could build an entire fleet, which would be far more dynamic in battle. Not to mention, its original purpose was to be a lifeboat for humanity. Just one lifeboat? Wouldn't it make more sense to have several smaller lifeboats than one giant target?
I agree with the sentiment that we need our backs against the wall again. And for better or worse, the Created Uprising has done that. But I don't agree with a big cliffhanger ending. H3 had a satisfying conclusion to its trilogy and there are many parallels between the new trilogy and the original trilogy. So Infinite might actually be better off coming to a satisfying conclusion. Or at least one satisfying conclusion while leaving something else to continue the story for another game.
The problem with the Infinity is that it gives carte blanche to the writers to just pull some deus ex machina out of no where when they write themselves into a corner. It has the potential to promote lazy writing because any situation can be resolved with "then the Infinity deployed/initiated [insert deus ex machina here]".

Its very existence makes little sense to me. With the resources devoted to that single ship, the UNSC could build an entire fleet, which would be far more dynamic in battle. Not to mention, its original purpose was to be a lifeboat for humanity. Just one lifeboat? Wouldn't it make more sense to have several smaller lifeboats than one giant target?
So far, I still have to see that, at least in the games. As I've seen and remember, it was portrayed well as what it's supposed to be, but never to the point where it could win every single battle. And now, as I've said, the Infinity is almost as powerless against the Guardians as the prior UNSC ships were to every Covenant ship. The difference is that it can conduct larger-scaled campaigns, has armament which can be used for more than just ship warfare, and has access to far more vehicles and armament than ever.
Of course, I'm speaking about the Infinity as it appears in the games only, as I have barebones information on the comics department.

The Infinity was supposed to house what remained of Humanity, and is nearly self-sufficient, as stated by Warfleet. If it wasn't as weaponized as it was, it could have been entirely self-sufficient. The big ship was essentially supposed to be a mobile Earth. You really can't do that with smaller ships.
As for why not using the resources for other ships, I argue it's because they were losing hope. Their ships stood no match, and could, at best, delay the glassing of a planet. It's just preparation for the worst case scenario, which eventually happened in Halo 2. Problem is, the Infinity was incomplete, so if none of Halo 2 happened (after New Mombasa missions), Humanity would have been exterminated right there.
Cliffhanger is not what I would recommend because halo 5 was too a cliffhanger. 343i would not want to make it a trend. If infinite is going to have a cliffhanger than I wouldn't want it to be like a simple one. I want a cliffhanger regarding the flood. Where everyone thinks that they saved the day and now are going home . But suddenly a distress signal can be heard of a marine (who has never faced flood or don't even know what they are called) asking for help for being attacked by tentacles-like carrying creature.
This is my desire regarding cliffhanger if there is one
I just have had enough of cliffhangers alltogether, they are just cheap form of sequel baiting & very much inferior to open-ended ending.
I still don't feel like Halo: Infinite will be a wrap up chapter. I doubt this is the last chapter of the Reclaimer Saga. I think we have at least one more chapter after this.
I still don't feel like Halo: Infinite will be a wrap up chapter. I doubt this is the last chapter of the Reclaimer Saga. I think we have at least one more chapter after this.
Well, it was said that the "Reclaimer Trilogy" is now a saga. They'd kinda go against that if Infinite wraps up the story and ends it there. But there's evidence to support that claim too.
Infinite is being treated as a starting point for new and returning fans alike. Using a simple story to welcome new people to the Halo franchise if they decide to begin with Infinite, but I hope it pleases the lore zealots with something else (namely Terminals and/or Phoenix Logs).
The game is also being treated as a "spiritual reboot". While it's not, by any means, a new story starting from scratch (it's a sequel to Halo 5 and it continues it's story), I'm still not sure what they really mean. It can be all sorts of things, but one that comes up is returning to form, returning to classic.
I’d rather Infinite have a conclusive ending like H4’s (Didact stopped, Cortana gone, and Chief left with questions about himself for the future) while leading things open for continued storytelling like Spartan Ops attempted to do (Requiem still a problem, Jul’s Covenant entrenched there, etc.)

If Infinite ends and the Created reduced in power, that leads a whole new galaxy with threats roaming around, especially some who formerly served Cortana and likely got massive upgrades and now are free to use them however they wish.
Cliffhanger is not what I would recommend because halo 5 was too a cliffhanger. 343i would not want to make it a trend. If infinite is going to have a cliffhanger than I wouldn't want it to be like a simple one. I want a cliffhanger regarding the flood. Where everyone thinks that they saved the day and now are going home . But suddenly a distress signal can be heard of a marine (who has never faced flood or don't even know what they are called) asking for help for being attacked by tentacles-like carrying creature.
This is my desire regarding cliffhanger if there is one
I kinda like this idea. It reminds of H2 a bit with that final cut scene between Cortana and the Gravemind. I also find myself in the camp that really wants the Flood to return. Could provide a path to reconciliation between humanity and the Created. I don't see how humanity can continue forward without their AI companions, and AI were birthed from humanity. The two "species", for lack of a better word, are intrinsically linked. The Flood might be able to galvanize humanity and the AI against a common enemy, leading to a future where humans and AI live on equal footing together.
Quote:
I just have had enough of cliffhangers alltogether, they are just cheap form of sequel baiting & very much inferior to open-ended ending.
I agree with you for the most part. However, a cliffhanger ending can be a great way to continue the story. I just think many of us are a little gun shy about that idea after we got burned by H5. Like H2's cliffhanger clearly set up the plot of H3: get to the Ark, stop the activation, save the galaxy. A cliffhanger isn't bad if it spells out a clear goal for the next installment to take on. If H5 had actually earned its cliffhanger like H2 did, I might feel differently, but for now, I'd rather Infinite play it safe and earn our trust as fans again.
Cliffhanger ,I think is the best way to keep up a game or a movie in the market. People would be eager to know what would happen next. So overall it would be ok for me if there is to be a cliffhanger in halo infinite but that should be regarding most likely of flood . I didn't liked the cliffhanger in halo 5 but the post credit scene (which showcases a ring) really made me happy and satisfied. If there isn't to be a cliffhanger regarding flood then it should be showing a person who have so much hatred for chief. And is after to kill him. (This is very unlikely to happen). But anyways i believe 343 with infinite this time.
OH absolutely!! that would be awesome, usually I don't like cliffhangers but that would be a really good idea, I really hope they do that in halo infinite.
I'm really hoping that we get this as the ending for Halo: Infinite. Too long has it been since our backs were against the wall. Too long has it been since the odds were stacked completely against us. Too long has it been since we all felt hopeless.

Imagine it. Halsey disappears into a portal, Infinite is heavily damaged and is going to crash into a planet, Chief abandons everyone (and I do mean everyone, he gets in a Prowler or Condor and leaves Blue Team and everyone else behind), Cortana dies, the Arbiter betrays us in order to save his own people and to wrap it all up, the Flood return.

Just imagine it. Everything going wrong. And the game ends with Lasky yelling "Everybody hold on! Just hold on!" and Palmer yelling "Brace for impact!"

And then it cuts to black and the credits start rolling.

Making us all wonder for the next 3-4 years how we get out of that situation will build hype for the next installment.
Um, noooooooooooooo... We already have a cliffhanger with Halo 5. A terrible one, at that. Infinite NEEDS to wrap up Halo 5 before we go into cliffhanger territory again. Plus, I doubt Chief would abandon Blue Team under ANY circumstances.