Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Ability for Dual Wielding

OP Sierra Cyken

I don't know, if that Topic was brought up recently (surely sometime it was, but I didn't saw it in the first few Topics, except for 1 especially for Swords), but I would love to see Dual Wield making a Comeback!

After I recently watched through my Clips of the Halo Collection, a Clip with Dual Needlers catched my Attention and I instantly had a Flashback of pure Nostalgia, had to start the MCC after Months to play some good old Halo 2(: A 😂) and OMG, was it a Blast.

However, I know, Dual Wielding was taken out, cause it broke the Triangle Formula to much and Balancing was an Issue etc. etc., BUT, it would be perfectly fine for me, if I only were able to Dual Wield in the Campaign, I mean, c'mon, it's just the Campaign, it wouldn't be that much of a Problem, even, if some Sort of Combos (Double Needlers, Plasma-whatever, Magnum) would ease our Time there by a good margin.

So any Thoughts on this..? Should 343i bring Dual Wielding back, Exclusively for the Campaign..? Would love to hear your Opinion why or why not. (:
Video games should offer a consistent experience throughout. Halo 5: Guardians has the issue of shields and sprinting only being tied together in multiplayer, so it makes it difficult for your brain to immediately adjust to how things differ from one mode to the next. If dual wielding is in one mode, it should be in the next. If dual wielding is absent in one mode, it should be absent in the next.
If it makes a return I hope they just treat it like power weapons for players that dont rush for rockets or sniper. They dont need to balance the damage out put of each gun thats capable of duel weilding just keep it the same. Just slow down reloading, add melee and grenade capabilities and increase recoil. Limited or no ADS. Its the poor mans power weapon.
Dual wielding was so much fun in H2 and H3, and I would love to see them return. But as has been brought up in the past, dual wielding comes with a host of balancing issues. So if it comes back, I'll be happy, but if not, then I understand why not.

Perhaps we could have dual wielding for a limited set of weapons. Perhaps just short-range weapons like the SMG and plasma pistol.
It was cool to do... but was way too problematic in terms of weapons balance. No thanks.
I’m not a big fan of dual wielding. All it really does is make the individual weapons borderline useless when used alone. Realistically it’s also a very inefficient way to shoot a gun, so I have a hard time believing that a super soldier who is trained with the best tactics available would choose to dual wield over a more effective method of shooting. The only good thing dual wielding has going for it is that it looks cool
I really don't think it added a tremendous amount to the games it was present in aside from the obvious cool-factor, and you're right to cite that it detracted from the balancing in those older games. It was a net negative, in my opinion.

If it made balancing messier in Halo 2 and 3, which both had otherwise very concise and pretty well balanced sandboxes, bringing it back in Infinite which will almost inevitably include enhanced movement of some descript as well as a much more complicated weapons sandbox is asking for all kinds of balancing problems.
It should definitely not return if it is going to be anything like dual wielding in Halo 2 and 3. It simply isn't worth the time and effort to implement.

Now I don't think its impossible to fix dual wielding, but it would require a radical overhaul and a sandbox that is both mechanically varied and balanced, which is sadly a big ask of any Halo sandbox post CE.
Unless they manage to hit that tiny sweet spot in weapon balancing, half the guns will either be useless on their own and only viable dual-wielded, or useful on their own and overpowered when dual-wielded.
Not to be too pessimistic but I wouldn't put money on them hitting that sweet spot - even Bungie didn't manage that (I'm looking at you H2 Magnum).

As for Campaign I'd argue that balancing is still important. As enjoyable as the classics (H2 BR, CE Magnum) are you often won't need to pick up anything else except a Plasma Pistol, but at least that restricts you from carrying power weapons.
It all comes down to personal preference but I find that any game which has 1 right way to do things will lose its replayability factor quicker than it needs to.
For the lore peeps. Avery Johnson duel weilded pistols in the last book. Maybe its a marketing hint, or maybe is not. Whos to say...
I’m not a big fan of dual wielding. All it really does is make the individual weapons borderline useless when used alone. Realistically it’s also a very inefficient way to shoot a gun, so I have a hard time believing that a super soldier who is trained with the best tactics available would choose to dual wield over a more effective method of shooting. The only good thing dual wielding has going for it is that it looks cool
Dual wielding doesn't always mean it is inefficient. Part of the design was dual weilding different weapons. Plasma Pistol and regular pistol is like the best legendary combo because you don't even have to switch weapons to n00b combo. I think it was an interesting and innovative mechanic that makes Halo feel more unique. I think it definately should come back but it should be balanced differently.
Dual wielding doesn't always mean it is inefficient. Part of the design was dual weilding different weapons. Plasma Pistol and regular pistol is like the best legendary combo because you don't even have to switch weapons to n00b combo. I think it was an interesting and innovative mechanic that makes Halo feel more unique. I think it definately should come back but it should be balanced differently.
I meant realistically it’s inefficient. Sure in a universe where firing from the hip is consistently pinpoint accurate then dual wielding is efficient, but realistically it’s far from it
Battle wrote:
For the lore peeps. Avery Johnson duel weilded pistols in the last book. Maybe its a marketing hint, or maybe is not. Whos to say...
I really wouldn't take that as anything other than a "it's cool" move.
I'm surprised, I thought more people would be rallying for dual wielding. I certainly wouldn't mind it myself, but I also can't disagree with some of the points people are bringing up about weapon balance. And I certainly agree that gameplay should be uniform across both campaign and multiplayer.

I think it would be really cool if it popped up for a brief, meaningful section late into the campaign. Let's say there's a beat in the story where Chief loses someone close to him. Perhaps Cortana kills off Halsey or someone from Blue Team. Then, instead of giving Chief a line of dialogue, the cutscene ends and the first prompt that pops up is: "Hold Y to Dual Wield." The remainder of the level would be Chief going on an all-out rampage, born out of anger and an inability to process his emotions through any means other than violence and bloodshed.

A sequence like that, and drivable forklifts, would raise the game to new heights.
Don't add Dual Wielding as an ability....add it like it was in Halo 2/3.

Me personally I just wanna dual wield the SMG again and have fun while doing it...while also watching out for that one guy/gal who dual wields an OC Plasma pistol/Magnum and has really good aim with that combo.
They don`t need to worry about weapons balancing duel wieldable (DW) weapons. The whole purpose is to increase firepower just like picking up a power weapon. If they balanced dueling SMG`s fireppower against a BR`s that would just make DW pointless, so why have it. If the weapon balance is good to begin with a BR would beat DW or single SMG`s in any mid to long range anyway. Having DW in the game would make it more up to map and game mode designers to make it balanced an fun.

If the DW SMG`s were placed one in each base, players would have to stop and think. Do they pick up the SMG to compliment their Pistol and rush the other base or use the extra firepower and defend theirs. If they choose to assualt and they die, then they just gave the opponents dueling pistols and SMG`s. Just like if you die with rockets or sniper the opponents can pick up your weapons to give them more firepower.

Also they would have to balance how many DW`s on each map along with secondary features like the plasma pistol EMP. They could even put different DW`s on different game types on the same maps. Maybe in CTF they limit DW`s in the bases and in Slayer they add more throughout the map.

The whole purpose of DW is to increase firepower. If they want to make it more diverse thats were the secondary effects change it up. The plasma pistol has EMP. The Plamsa rifle used to have a stun/stagger effect. The bolt shot used to charge up. These are what give DW a nice variety. This also doesn't make power weapons irrelavant those are still one shot kills with the benefit of damaging vehicles a lot more than regular weapons.
I’m all in for duel-wielding 100%
I actually never found duel wielding OP in previous Halo's to be honest, minus the Plasma pistol and pistol combo. That definitely was!

If they could balance it a bit more I would be all for it to come back. I wondered if doing something like making the gun pairs already together on the map. For example, two pistols would be together and when you picked them up they would be together. When you drop them, you drop them both. I don't know, something like this.

Overall, I would welcome duel wielding back, with some modifications of course 😉
I meant realistically it’s inefficient. Sure in a universe where firing from the hip is consistently pinpoint accurate then dual wielding is efficient, but realistically it’s far from it
Yeah, so is fighting an alien conglomorate called the Covenant or a race of space zombies known as the Flood but sure, I can't suspend my disbelief because of using one weapon in each hand... Halo isn't loved because of the realistic style combat, it is loved because it's fun and different.
Yeah, so is fighting an alien conglomorate called the Covenant or a race of space zombies known as the Flood but sure, I can't suspend my disbelief because of using one weapon in each hand... Halo isn't loved because of the realistic style combat, it is loved because it's fun and different.
My point is that a spartan who has trained with the best tactics known to man wouldn’t realistically throw that training away to go yolo mcswaggins dual smgs. I realize that the game is a fantasy, but it’s still expected to be grounded in some form of realism.

As with any post online, this is my opinion. You are welcome to have your own. I’m just stating why I don’t want to see dual wielding, per the topic of this thread