Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

About the return of previous art styles and armor

OP DropzOfCrimzon

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Am I the only one who liked the new art style for the armors? Not for Osiris but for Blue team, especially the chief?

It looked more...Tanky you know, more utilitarian and militaristic. It had just a better feel especially if I compare it back to back to the old stuff

Opinions? Thoughts?
I know what you mean. Blue Team felt tanky, yet functional. The idea of 343i artists to use a basic under suit (techsuit), and have the armored sections attach to give the overall appearance of a Spartan a bulky yet agile tank with legs. Blue Team had very similar designs, with subtle differences that showed their combat specialization nicely. Form following function, and I appreciate that attention to detail.
Chief's armor reminds me of an M1 Abrams tank; smooth, rounded areas, and flat sharp edged surfaces. This helmet has that, almost motocross visor, which could protect his visor and but also serve as an ballistic resistant area yet further protecting his head. The visor itself is very reminiscent of those used by current day astronauts. The gold tint reflecting harmful UV rays from the wearer. These details somewhat ground him in possible future setting, suspending disbelief just a bit.
Where the Chief felt utilitarian, and tank-like, Locke and his HUNTER-Class Gen 2 armor looks sophisticated, and agile. Like an F22 with legs. His sleek, stealth look and the small, wing-like appendages on his shoulders, and legs further accentuate this. While his icy blue visor does look as if it reduces his field of view, I saw a concept art of Locke's helmet that showed the front cowl removed and it continued over the top of the helmet, yet shrouded by armor plating. But I also thought, if his suit is more sophisticated, why would he need a fully exposed visor? Look at ironman, he has two small slits on his helmet, yet his field of view is not diminished. Possibly a full digital display, and not actual field of view.
In short, im probably one of the few fans who enjoyed the new artstyle. Not that the classic was bad, I just prefer the new art design better
Am I the only one who liked the new art style for the armors? Not for Osiris but for Blue team, especially the chief?

It looked more...Tanky you know, more utilitarian and militaristic. It had just a better feel especially if I compare it back to back to the old stuff

Opinions? Thoughts?
I think the problem was with the vast majority of selectable armor got progressively less 'tanky' and more sleek from H4 to H5. As this became the norm rather than exceptional, with old visual aesthetics from H3 and reach becoming the exception, it was recieved poorly. It's not so much the armor of main characters which weren't that bad.

Opinions? Thoughts?
I think the problem was with the vast majority of selectable armor got progressively less 'tanky' and more sleek from H4 to H5. As this became the norm rather than exceptional, with old visual aesthetics from H3 and reach becoming the exception, it was recieved poorly. It's not so much the armor of main characters which weren't that bad.
Yes but look at that back shot of the chief in the infinite teaser...it looks like we went back to a more skintight less armory look from like halo CE or halo 2....

Im not sure I like that

Opinions? Thoughts?
Yes but look at that back shot of the chief in the infinite teaser...it looks like we went back to a more skintight less armory look from like halo CE or halo 2....

Im not sure I like that
A lot of people do.

But it's moot, since the real test is the overall aesthetics of the extra armor sets for multiplayer. We won't know til we see that.
I like the old style more, might just be because of nostalgia but there it is. Not a fan of new armour, not that there isn't any that look really cool, there definitely are.
But 343’s armor designs are so bleak and unrealistic to the fact that they contain no marks (i.e scars, bullet holes, etc)
I like both styles. I like the modern helmets but the classic body armor and shoulder designs. only issues I have with the current style is the body armor (looks uncomfortable to wear, plus how do you sit in a warthog or pelican with such huge thrusters?) and the color patterns (they are confusing to look at, just a blur of white lines and splotches of darkened secondary color). but I love some of the new helmets, gen 2 scout is a much better improvement over the gen 1 style (honestly, how could anyone fit their head in there?), there's also recruit (an actual standard issue armor), enforcer, warrior, soldier, defender. personally, my favorite is the Seeker.

would love to see a mix of both styles in the new installment. especially since black under suits have been confirmed to return.
I'll take the new art syle design for Chief's armour over the classic design anyday.
Loved both Blue team's and Osiris' armour designs.
You'll always find people on both sides. I think what people dislike is all of the variants. they feel messy and indistinct, in multiplayer I can rarely tell what someone is using. The main campaign characters had a lot of thought put into design and the rest... not so much
Vergetic wrote:
But 343’s armor designs are so bleak and unrealistic to the fact that they contain no marks (i.e scars, bullet holes, etc)
look again, theres scars and bullet holes, at least on the covenant and osiris/blue team armor
more utilitarian and militaristic.
This is objectively wrong.

Doesn't mean the armor isn't good, but by definition, the new set is unarguably LESS utilitarian. Way too much unnecessary greeble, and the thruster packs and pauldrons are impractically large and jutting. The classic design is clean, practical, and easily more in line with something an actual military would fund, no question.

Opinions? Thoughts?
My concern is the lack of realism to the past art styles. I loved how Reach started to stray from that with it's darker colors and visuals. As we've advanced in console specs and technology, we can do much more visually and graphically with a game. I honestly feel the older art styles are too dated. I want Chief to look his cinematic self in model form. I don't want the bright and cartoonish looking colors and art from the past. I honestly want 343 to push the realism forward and make the franchise look the best it ever has.
more utilitarian and militaristic.
This is objectively wrong.

Doesn't mean the armor isn't good, but by definition, the new set is unarguably LESS utilitarian. Way too much unnecessary greeble, and the thruster packs and pauldrons are impractically large and jutting. The classic design is clean, practical, and easily more in line with something an actual military would fund, no question.
Yes but it is also very unrealistic. It's basically skin armor to a degree...not armor at least not visually to me
I wasn't a big fan of it, nor the various amounts of needed repetitive armour. Some were good, we just don't need 10 of each helmet. Id would of like the classic helmet req pack include all the classic helmets, not just a few. Rogue helmet comes to mind.

Opinions? Thoughts?
dude same, i think i like it better when its more detailed, more tank, and more realistic. While the old one is throwing me off now that i've played the newer once. P.S i still love the older games

Opinions? Thoughts?
dude same, i think i like it better when its more detailed, more tank, and more realistic. While the old one is throwing me off now that i've played the newer once. P.S i still love the older games
Of course...

I'm not saying the older games are bad

No no

But the look of the armor was a product of when the games were made. There is nothing wrong with adding dimension and weight to something the way they did in halo 4 and 5
I like the old art styles Halo 1 - halo 3 in every aspect. I think Halo wars 2 is the best representation for what they should be. I also think spartan combat should look like HW red team scenes and not team osiris opening scene. So Ill add animation style
I strongly prefer the old style because of the smoother, less tanky look most things had. also if anything I think the unsc looks less militaristic, they look super spacey and sci fi like. and I get that halo is sci fi, but don't beat us over the head with it. that's what was great about bungies unsc, it felt like an upgraded version of more recognizable military styles.

Opinions? Thoughts?
I actually like chiefs 4-5 armor. I think it would be sick if they make it obtainable for anyone to use. But with that said I think the original mark VI looked much better and i think it’s better that Chief is now using a much more classic looking armor.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2