After Anthem I fear for Halo 6

OP ReaginicMonk86

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I am still worried for this game since halo 5 had a downgrade from e3 and the beta.
eviltedi wrote:
Anthem has just recently released and the reviews are not looking good. You may be asking "how does this relate to Halo 6?" Well in my opinion Anthems development has shown a couple similarities to that of Halo 6. Both Halo Infinite and Anthem are considered "Games as a service" so that spawns the fear of lack of content during release. You may say "Infinite has been the longest halo game in development ever" which is true but Anthem was also in development for 6 years and it's still on the shallow side of content. Halo Infinite has also been rumored to have more Rpg like gameplay like in Anthem, hell even a branching story which in my opinion has no place in a (mainstream) halo game, I wouldn't mind more open levels that encourage exploration but different endings or for example lvl 5 elites or level 13 Hunters will not fit in campaign or even feel like halo. To rebuttle this you may say "343 is listening to their fans, Just look at the art style" and I would agree with you but art style isn't everything for example Anthem is absolutely beautiful but its story is lackluster. And Yes I know Anthem and Halo Infinite where and are being developed by totally different developers and publishers but the similarities are rather hard to not point out. So do I have a point or am I just overthinking it.?

P.s. I wouldn't mind if the Rpg elements where added to an online mode like spartan ops or warzone just not campaign.
Anthem is terrible imo, loading screens, slow movement in Tarsis, more loading screens, enemies disappearing, lack of content, did I mention loading screens, customisation is a joke compared to what we were shown and so much more.

However, I'm not worried about Halo Infinite because of Anthem. It's a looter shooter, Halo is not. I have other concerns about Halo Infinite, but they're not because of Anthem. Hopefully E3 this year will give us more Halo Infinite facts, that is what we need.
Well if it were not for Halo 5 and Warzone, I would agree with you, but as you look at warzone the Req packs had rare weapons and vehicle variants that gave an overall advantage to whoever has them. Warzone was as close to a looter shooter H5 has become, thing is you didn't get loot from warzone you got lootboxes.
in terms of campaign providing MS can make decent money off of Infinite then everything should be fine. I predict they go down the Forza Horizon model with expansions rather than microtransactions or an always online requirement. They'd be daft to attempt anything that forces an online requirement at this point such would the reaction be. There will still be microtransactions though I'm sure but they'll be of the type that doesn't create a wave of disgust among channels and fans

I'm fine for a meaty campaign experience that expands with additional dlc story and that really is the only model they can do without pissing people off. People don't mind buying extra expansions if the core story is substantial to begin with and right now MS wont want to risk -Yoinking!- their best franchise for the sake of forcing an always online model. Maybe one day but they ain't risking it at this point
eviltedi wrote:
Anthem has just recently released and the reviews are not looking good. You may be asking "how does this relate to Halo 6?" Well in my opinion Anthems development has shown a couple similarities to that of Halo 6. Both Halo Infinite and Anthem are considered "Games as a service" so that spawns the fear of lack of content during release. You may say "Infinite has been the longest halo game in development ever" which is true but Anthem was also in development for 6 years and it's still on the shallow side of content. Halo Infinite has also been rumored to have more Rpg like gameplay like in Anthem, hell even a branching story which in my opinion has no place in a (mainstream) halo game, I wouldn't mind more open levels that encourage exploration but different endings or for example lvl 5 elites or level 13 Hunters will not fit in campaign or even feel like halo. To rebuttle this you may say "343 is listening to their fans, Just look at the art style" and I would agree with you but art style isn't everything for example Anthem is absolutely beautiful but its story is lackluster. And Yes I know Anthem and Halo Infinite where and are being developed by totally different developers and publishers but the similarities are rather hard to not point out. So do I have a point or am I just overthinking it.?

P.s. I wouldn't mind if the Rpg elements where added to an online mode like spartan ops or warzone just not campaign.
Anthem is terrible imo, loading screens, slow movement in Tarsis, more loading screens, enemies disappearing, lack of content, did I mention loading screens, customisation is a joke compared to what we were shown and so much more.

However, I'm not worried about Halo Infinite because of Anthem. It's a looter shooter, Halo is not. I have other concerns about Halo Infinite, but they're not because of Anthem. Hopefully E3 this year will give us more Halo Infinite facts, that is what we need.
Well if it were not for Halo 5 and Warzone, I would agree with you, but as you look at warzone the Req packs had rare weapons and vehicle variants that gave an overall advantage to whoever has them. Warzone was as close to a looter shooter H5 has become, thing is you didn't get loot from warzone you got lootboxes.
Warzone is a game mode, and one I did not play when I found out how egregious the req system is. In fact, I dropped Halo 5 completely because of the req system. Halo 5 is not, and was not designed as a looter shooter, Anthem was. I still am not concerned about Halo Infinite because of Anthem.

343i stated no paid loot boxes, so hopefully no invasive req system. The games are not even comparable, Anthem has Javelins, flying, third person view, rpg systems etc. Halo 5 is a first person shooter, with campaign and multiplayer.
eviltedi wrote:

It's funny because literally everything you mention is something that's either fixable or just a bug. That tends to happen with the release of a new game.
I think they are two very different games and developers, so I doubt similar results. Just because Anthem had massive hype and ultimately failed doesn't mean Halo Infinite will have massive hype and fail too. Hopefully.
I think they are two very different games and developers, so I doubt similar results. Just because Anthem had massive hype and ultimately failed doesn't mean Halo Infinite will have massive hype and fail too. Hopefully.
There is such a thing as over hype , I think the longer the dev time the bigger the hype and expectation . Infinite has got some really heavy lifting to do for the franchise to reignite . It feels like a blockbuster movie that could go either way at this point .
eviltedi wrote:

It's funny because literally everything you mention is something that's either fixable or just a bug. That tends to happen with the release of a new game.
Well that's kind of the thing. These common bugs that are now with all multiplayer games have become so frequent that it makes the game unplayable. Sort of like the AAA game titles are nothing more than an early access title. Heck remember the MCC? Sure they fixed it but it took a lot more than a we finally fixed it to get players back. A fixed MCC didn't make me go out and buy those horrible XB1s. So launching it now with game breaking bugs and fixing it later is not going to work. Some bugs that are barely noticeable and doesn't crash your game are fine. Some times they don't even need to be fixed at all (the Red vs Blue bug, nuclear Gahndi). But if it breaks at launch then something is not right with the game. Sadly this type of failure has become normal for AAA games.
eviltedi wrote:

And in Anthem's case it never got fixed, and it was not ready for release imo. Maybe you're ok with half baked games that can be "fixed" but I'm not. I work hard for my wage, and I expect quality with what I choose to spend it on and that includes my games. I never trust E3 reveals anymore, I do my homework now and it's saved me a fortune this gen. I'll be doing the same with Halo Infinite.
XxDr2394xX wrote:
baaask wrote:
Have they specifically used the term "game as a service" with Halo? If they have I think we can safely assume it's a bad direction to go in. I know Microsoft has pushed this for years now, but I don't think I've heard anything specifically regarding Halo.
Hasn’t Halo had downloadable content since 3 or 2? Halo has been a gaas type of game for over a decade now, every game that has expansions after launch weather it’s free or not is a gaas, people have this idea that a gaas is an unfinished product that will be finished after its released and it’s really not the case for every game, the problem is that a lot of games this gen have released with little content and this gen is when developers started to used the term “gaas” when most AAA games have basically been a service for the last decade but all gaas games aren’t unfinished products at launch.
Paid DLC =/= GAAS
Games as a service provides free content updates and monetize the game through microtransactions.
Chimera30 wrote:
I don't think The Witcher 3 is a good example of a game as a service. The DLCs added amazing new content (Blood & Wine won GOTY), but they didn't change aspects of the game, add in many new features (I can only recall a few small ones), and weren't constant updates adding more and more new content and tweaking the game. They took a fully polished and beautiful game, then added even more content in addition to that that could be treated as a separate game eve.
Witcher 3 is not a good example of a bad example of live service games. Witcher 3 had more than just Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine added. Free DLC was added to the game multiple times, including new quests, weapons, and armor/gear. Witcher 3 was not completely without bugs and CDPR fixed bugs as much as they could (they didn't fix all of them, though).

I think Witcher 3 can be looked at as a live service game in some aspects. As a single-player game, though, obviously the live service takes a different form from live service multiplayer games. H5 was 343's first real foray into drip-feeding content over a long period of time. The feedback on that was pretty clear: too little was provided at launch. Now, with Infinite likely being another live service game, we shouldn't immediately assume it's going to be another bad instance. We have yet to see whether 343 will learn from the mistake of launching H5 with too little.
Any DLC released at a later date should expand on things such as story (adding something independent to the main story like the DLCs for the Witcher 3 did), new maps, etc.. The game's meta shouldn't change as gameplay elements are tweaked to better balance it, those balancing issues should have already been fixed with any betas/flighting programs. The game should play the same as it does at launch for it's lifespan, maybe adding new gamemodes every so often, but not entire things such as forge. Games such as Reach kept my attention span for years and didn't function like this. It just isn't needed.
No Halo game has ever had story DLC. I guess, in a way, H4's Spartan Ops was kind of story-based DLC. But expecting Witcher 3-style paid expansions in a Halo game? That's unrealistic. Witcher 3, unlike Halo, lacks multiplayer, so heavy expansions were needed for its longevity. Halo, on the other hand, keeps players coming back regularly for the multiplayer. Now, as far as multiplayer-based DLCs go, map packs of old divided the player-base, resulting in dead playlists or nobody being able to play the new maps they purchased since not everyone in their queue owned them. So adding maps for free is a much better system, and I'd like to see that carried over to Infinite. As for weapon balancing, metas change on their own as players learn weapon roles and functionalities. It's impossible to predetermine a meta before launch, as no test program will ever hit the numbers that a full launch will bring, and its those numbers that result in the finding of the best weapons for particular situations. Even Reach changed drastically with it's huge Title Update, tuning things like bloom, damage bleed through, armor lock, camo, and more. Sandbox tuning is a regular aspect of a shooter game like Halo and I expect such maintenance to continue in Infinite.
HW2 had two story expansions, Awakening the Nightmare and Spearbreaker. H3:ODST was glorified H3 DLC.

Ensuring the longevity of Infinite's multiplayer should take priority over everything. However, story DLC and post-launch multiplayer support is not an either/or propisition.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

And in Anthem's case it never got fixed, and it was not ready for release imo. Maybe you're ok with half baked games that can be "fixed" but I'm not. I work hard for my wage, and I expect quality with what I choose to spend it on and that includes my games. I never trust E3 reveals anymore, I do my homework now and it's saved me a fortune this gen. I'll be doing the same with Halo Infinite.
Dude here's the problem with people like you. You complain when a game isn't released on time because they had issues with bugs, and you complain when a game is released on time and it has a ton of bugs. Game development isn't a little cake walk; it takes a ton of time, work, money, and resources in general. As well, if you, "do your homework," then maybe you would have a slight understanding of this. What makes a game good is its mechanics, and I understand that when they're broken it makes the game undesirable, but you should expect the first few months of a game release -- when on time -- to be just a little bit rocky. You complaining about it isn't gonna make a difference about it; it is just a part of game development.
eviltedi wrote:

Well that's kind of the thing. These common bugs that are now with all multiplayer games have become so frequent that it makes the game unplayable. Sort of like the AAA game titles are nothing more than an early access title. Heck remember the MCC? Sure they fixed it but it took a lot more than a we finally fixed it to get players back. A fixed MCC didn't make me go out and buy those horrible XB1s. So launching it now with game breaking bugs and fixing it later is not going to work. Some bugs that are barely noticeable and doesn't crash your game are fine. Some times they don't even need to be fixed at all (the Red vs Blue bug, nuclear Gahndi). But if it breaks at launch then something is not right with the game. Sadly this type of failure has become normal for AAA games.
Since we are running towards the end of this generation of consoles, games are cutting corners to make enhancements to the engine, while running it on a lower end processing system. This makes a breeding ground for bugs. When a game has a release date, developers have a quota to reach, and it crunches their time they have available. In MCC's case, it was outsourced and had a smaller studio to a very big project. It took a long time for developers to fix it because 343 was more focused on making a game that would be working at launch: Halo Infinite. You can't make assumptions on a game before it releases as well, because that's just ridiculous.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

Dude here's the problem with people like you. You complain when a game isn't released on time because they had issues with bugs, and you complain when a game is released on time and it has a ton of bugs. Game development isn't a little cake walk; it takes a ton of time, work, money, and resources in general. As well, if you, "do your homework," then maybe you would have a slight understanding of this. What makes a game good is its mechanics, and I understand that when they're broken it makes the game undesirable, but you should expect the first few months of a game release -- when on time -- to be just a little bit rocky. You complaining about it isn't gonna make a difference about it; it is just a part of game development.
Dude ? Well dude you don't know me, so don't pretend to know what my problem is. I would rather have a delayed game that's complete over a rushed and broken one. I have been gaming a long time, I always try to do my homework. Mechanics alone don't make a good game, story graphics, gameplay, no bugs and many other things come into it in my opinion.

I will accept the odd title might be a bit rocky at launch, but in Anthem's case, it was a lie, it was and is broken, it lacks decent loot and it's far from fixed, it's not fit for purpose and it should have been delayed because it's still a mess. I'm not happy with half baked games, I expect value for money. As for the topic at hand, I'm not bothered about Halo Infinite after Anthem. Halo 5 was not the best but it was playable from day one, unlike Anthem.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

Dude ? Well dude you don't know me, so don't pretend to know what my problem is. I would rather have a delayed game that's complete over a rushed and broken one. I have been gaming a long time, I always try to do my homework. Mechanics alone don't make a good game, story graphics, gameplay, no bugs and many other things come into it in my opinion.

I will accept the odd title might be a bit rocky at launch, but in Anthem's case, it was a lie, it was and is broken, it lacks decent loot and it's far from fixed, it's not fit for purpose and it should have been delayed because it's still a mess. I'm not happy with half baked games, I expect value for money. As for the topic at hand, I'm not bothered about Halo Infinite after Anthem. Halo 5 was not the best but it was playable from day one, unlike Anthem.
With how much development time and money that has been going into Infinite, as well as MCC as a common reminder of a broken launch, do you really think they'll make that same mistake twice?
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

With how much development time and money that has been going into Infinite, as well as MCC as a common reminder of a broken launch, do you really think they'll make that same mistake twice?
Let's All Laugh At an Industry Which Never Learns Anything Tee-Hee-HeeJust saying it is possible, and no amount of white knighting will makes something better.
Now that is out of the way, hopefully this isn't the case with infinite, however since you brought up outsourcing as the reason why the MCC was broken at launch, how does that make an argument that 343 would have done a better job? If a company outsources either they can't do the job or they don't want to. Also 343 wasn't even working on Halo Infinite at the time, you know how I know this, because Halo 5 wasn't even out yet.

343 has a lot to do to repair their image, however that image can only be repaired by 343 and their next two projects, not by any propaganda you decide to post. Now in a rare case of optimism, I hope that MCC PC and Infinite will turn out to be good games that are on par with Bungie's legacy and a substantial improvement over all of 343's lineup. That is a tall order in any case.
Anthem had a lot of problems in the background. Staff changes and infighting. Not to mention EA has created a name for itself with ruining games and running for cash grabs. 343 knows it is on watch with Luke warm reception of Microsoft's flag ship game. After the failure of exclusives Microsoft has taken note and is making moves. I feel they know they are putting alot on the line with this game and will pay attention to the gaming world to make sure Halo and Microsoft are back to their glory days.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

Let's All Laugh At an Industry Which Never Learns Anything Tee-Hee-HeeJust saying it is possible, and no amount of white knighting will makes something better.
Now that is out of the way, hopefully this isn't the case with infinite, however since you brought up outsourcing as the reason why the MCC was broken at launch, how does that make an argument that 343 would have done a better job? If a company outsources either they can't do the job or they don't want to. Also 343 wasn't even working on Halo Infinite at the time, you know how I know this, because Halo 5 wasn't even out yet.

343 has a lot to do to repair their image, however that image can only be repaired by 343 and their next two projects, not by any propaganda you decide to post. Now in a rare case of optimism, I hope that MCC PC and Infinite will turn out to be good games that are on par with Bungie's legacy and a substantial improvement over all of 343's lineup. That is a tall order in any case.
Let's all laugh at your grammar and the 'Bungie's lagacy.' Yes, Bungie left behind a wonderful game series, but 343 has a head full a brains and shoes full of feet; they can go anywhere with any image they have. Now, that being said, 343 is learning as a brand new game developing industries, and do I need to remind you that the only prior game development from Halo 4 was Combat Evolved Anniversary: Bungie had the whole Marathon series. I do not confuse ambition with results, but Infinite is an extremely ambitious up-and-coming title.

I agree 343 has a lot to do to repair their image, but when people doubt their potential, it infuriates me. They love the game and don't want to see it fail, unlike what people think they do. This isn't 'propaganda,' this is what a fan thinks of the upcoming Halo title being created by 343 Industries, which is a large gaming development industry with a lot of potential. You're a doubter who will be blown away with what 343 has in store.

I also recognize that I did make a mistake with saying that they were working on Infinite, I understand my blunder. Yet, it was outsourced for the same reason Bungie outsourced Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and Halo Wars, and Halo Wars 2, and basically every other spin-off game. It is not part of the main line of games, so of course it is going to be outsourced: You seem to not understand this concept.
Pluto70 wrote:
Anthem had a lot of problems in the background. Staff changes and infighting. Not to mention EA has created a name for itself with ruining games and running for cash grabs. 343 knows it is on watch with Luke warm reception of Microsoft's flag ship game. After the failure of exclusives Microsoft has taken note and is making moves. I feel they know they are putting alot on the line with this game and will pay attention to the gaming world to make sure Halo and Microsoft are back to their glory days.
I completely agree. People like to compare Anthem to Halo. They are completely different Industries, developers, publishers, etc. EA has a tendency to ruin games that they publish. Microsoft doesn't want to ruin it this time.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

They've kind of messed up 3 times now.First with halo 4 killing the didact,and making multiplayer a cod rip off,second with releasing a bug riddled mcc which isnt completely fixed still to this day,and 3rd with how bad halo 5s campaign was
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4