Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

An open letter to 343

OP EndersDragon

Hi guys,
I am a long time fan of Halo. If you look at my profile you will notice I have been playing halo since its inception. I would like to have my voice heard in the Halo community. 343 this is for you guys. Please understand something while working on Infinite. You hold the rights to one of the most beloved franchises of all time. You don't have to take shortcuts when creating this. Don't do what is popular. Don't do something for the sake of money. Don't do something for fame. Don't do something to make people happy. What you do need to do is to create Infinite with creativity, passion, and love in mind. It is a shame to see a company take shortcuts with things such as microtransactions and getting into the battle royal trend. Stick out from the crowd. Bring back the same core values that the first halo had. Create something that will shake the ground of the video game industry. Just like you have in the past. You have a fantastic staff that is intelligent and extremely capable of creating a masterpiece. Please don't let the rest of the world dictate what you should be. If you feel like it is necessary to charge us 100 bucks so you don't have to introduce microtransactions I for one would happily give you those funds. I miss the feeling halo used to give me. I loved playing Halo 4 custom games with my buddies and tearing it up in Halo Reach multiplayer. I don't get the same feeling anymore. I just want to get the same feeling I had when I was a 12-year-old again. There is a sense of wonder that you have provided to me growing up and I believe you have the means to bring that back. Please be a beacon on light in the game industry. We have entered a drought for video games and I believe you can bring in a new era of video games.

Sincerely,
A Halo fan for the last 18 years
Above all else, we're in it for the love of the game.
That right there is all we want from you guys! :)
Can't speak for everyone, but I think people want more than just words.
I think there’s a lot of unfair malice lobbed at 343 for things they’ve bungled with Halo 4 and 5- Sure, criticizing what hasn’t worked is important, but I can honestly say I believe 343’s wanted what’s best for Halo the whole time they’ve been running the show, even if they haven’t known what that means. I’m not saying I *do* know what it means, either. It’s way more complicated than a lot of us who like to play armchair dev think it is.

I think they’re listening to us, though, which I’m extremely I’m encouraged by. A lot of things didn’t need to change from the old Halo formula. They’ve done some cool stuff, but it’s always kind of felt like one step forward and two steps back.

Halo 4 was the first major Halo game to take away more than it added to the series, and Halo 5 took away even more and added even less.

To succeed, I think Infinite needs everything that was great about the most beloved Halo games in the past, as well as cool additions.
E3 is right around the corner, we will see something soon.
Unyshek wrote:
ok don't put microtransactions so if you really are for the love of the game and not of the money...
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Unyshek wrote:
ok don't put microtransactions so if you really are for the love of the game and not of the money...
no response, lol
Expecting someone from 343 to respond to a loaded question is foolish.

Also, you can't be making games that you love, if you can't pay the utility bills.
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

Also, you can't be making games that you love, if you can't pay the utility bills.
you pay the utility bills selling the full game, not stealing the gamers selling an incomplete game and the rest you have to pay 10 times more with microtransactions
@Ale Lo Spartano- I don’t like micro transactions more than anyone else, but I’ve never been a fan of the argument in Halo 5 in particularly that players *have* to buy them. Although I disagree with the implementation of MTs in Halo 5, 343’s rationale for including them (making sure all players could be provided map packs/game updates, etc.) did pan out as largely true. I’d say that Halo 5 is very playable and still largely competitive if you choose not to participate in buying REQ packs with real world currency.

I wouldn’t snipe a random 343 employee responding to a forum thread as if he’s solely responsible for the problems in previous Halo games or personally in charge of how future games are designed. I think 343 in general hears us loud and clear when we say we don’t want to see MT’s return in Infinite.
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

you pay the utility bills selling the full game, not stealing the gamers selling an incomplete game and the rest you have to pay 10 times more with microtransactions
As stated by The Crunchster: Halo 5 doesn't really force you to buy REQ packs with real money. I mean if you are new to Halo 5 and just want to go crazy once Warzone Turbo rolls over again: sure. But otherwise, they have a marginal impact on the gameplay experience.

Can they be done better? Boy, they sure can. Remove fancypants REQ vehicles/weapons and replace them with a more in-depth cosmetic system.

Can you expect one 343 employee to risk earning the ire of the literally ALL of his/her colleagues by answering you? No way.

But we are geting off track here. If any 343 employees still aren't scared off from looking in this topic: keep doing what you've been doing, folks. Take all the time you need to make Infinite something special.
To be fair, 343i actions of late, speak volumes as far as fan service.
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

As stated by The Crunchster: Halo 5 doesn't really force you to buy REQ packs with real money. I mean if you are new to Halo 5 and just want to go crazy once Warzone Turbo rolls over again: sure. But otherwise, they have a marginal impact on the gameplay experience.

Can they be done better? Boy, they sure can. Remove fancypants REQ vehicles/weapons and replace them with a more in-depth cosmetic system.

Can you expect one 343 employee to risk earning the ire of the literally ALL of his/her colleagues by answering you? No way.

But we are geting off track here. If any 343 employees still aren't scared off from looking in this topic: keep doing what you've been doing, folks. Take all the time you need to make Infinite something special.
That's what I've never understood; so many people in the passing years have thrown so much flak for the Req system. They acted like paying real money for them was the only way to get them when you can literally earn several Gold packs a day just by playing Mythic WZ FF for a bit. But even after explaining this, people still pushed their anger out at the dev's for doing something as scummy as adding a 'pay to win' aspect. (It's not so much pay to win as it is pay to progress faster than most others)

The Req system needed a LOT of work but it hardly forced you to shell out cash for in game purchases.
Personally I think that 343I has cared for Halos development since they took over. They knew this was a loved game by millions. They saw the potential and didn’t want it to die out like other gaming titles. I think that some thing was rushed or done a little halfhearted. But hey, Halo has had its flaws in every game since Bungie created it and 343I ain’t perfect either. I also think 343I understood how much this game meant to people when they created H5 with the flood of hate that came towards its flaws.
The other thing I have noticed is that the Halo community is divided, some like the modern direction it takes and some like to stick with the original gameplay. That’s why it’s going to be a hard job for 343I to create a Halo game that everyone is going to enjoy. But take notice, if you want Infinite to succeed I think every core element that made all the Halo games fun, special and unique should be the core element in Infinite. With what has been shown, I think 343I is on the right path. Let’s hope this game will succeed.
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

They can be done even more better: remove them.
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

I'm sure they might have learned there mistakes about the req system and bilitz from HW2.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
AMA4N wrote:
Unyshek wrote:
no response, lol

I'm sure they might have learned there mistakes about the req system and bilitz from HW2.
"they might have learned there mistakes" you are talking like they are children... 343i are all adult programmers and businessmen, they know what they want and what they do! If they put microtransactions in a game is because they want to steal money from the kids. That is a shame!!!
microtransactions has been confirmed ages ago but they confirmed they wont add loot boxes. I know it wont be how EA does it but yeah I am still aware and worried about that.
I still remember reading this topic when it first was submitted and this is a good letter because I agree that Halo Infinite should bring back the Halo original trilogy elements and of course we so want to see the Flood return in Halo Infinite just like they were able to return in Halo Wars 2. Brutes and Drones should also return.