Anyone else severely disappointed?

OP ran and shai

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
So I've been following the Halo Universe for half of my life, and I've always loved it. I went as far as to read the books and even write some short fics on this very forum. But since Halo 5 released, my excitement towards this universe was for all intents and purposes extinguished thanks in no small part to the Created arc and 343i's fumbled handling of beloved characters.

To be honest, 343i have a difficult task ahead of them if they plan to get me back on board with this once exciting universe.

And they aren't doing good so far.

Let's talk about that trailer. That trailer that showed next to nothing we care about (no, a few seconds of Steve Downs' deep voice will not get us hyped for this next campaign). Instead, it focused on a new character (which, honestly, who cares) for more than half of the rather timid footage. And then it shows a ring (last year's news!). And that's it.

Last year's trailer was so much more. This year? Nothing worth even discussing on this forum.

That's all you could come up with, 343i? I feel like this is a huge setback. That they'd think *that* trailer would get fans going. It's like they've completely lost touch with what gets us hyped...

Sorry for this rant, just wondering if I'm the only one who's grumpy or this is an actual problem. Please share your thoughts below.

Mod edit: Moved to Infinite
So I've been following the Halo Universe for half of my life, and I've always loved it. I went as far as to read the books and even write some short fics on this very forum. But since Halo 5 released, my excitement towards this universe was for all intents and purposes extinguished thanks in no small part to the Created arc and 343i's fumbled handling of beloved characters.

To be honest, 343i have a difficult task ahead of them if they plan to get me back on board with this once exciting universe.

Let's talk about that trailer. That trailer that showed next to nothing we care about (no, a few seconds of Steve Downs' deep voice will not get us hyped for this next campaign). Instead, it focused on a new character (which, honestly, who cares) for more than half of the rather timid footage. And then it shows a ring (last year's news!). And that's it.

Last year's trailer was so much more. This year? Nothing worth even discussing on this forum.

That's all you could come up with, 343i? I feel like this is a huge setback. That they'd think *that* trailer would get fans going. It's like they've completely lost touch with what gets us hyped...

Sorry for this rant, just wondering if I'm the only one who's grumpy or this is an actual problem. Please share your thoughts below.
It's still a year and a half until release, gameplay will probably change majorly during that time and we don't want another "They lied to us because what we saw at E3 2019 doesn't match what we get" ordeal. Considering the release date, I think this trailer's fine. Yes, it sucks that we have to wait another year and there are so many unanswered questions. The article they just released confirmed next year will be huge. We're gonna have to wait anyway, I don't see the point of showing anything that will probably get changed and cause controversy later down the road.
Then why show anything at all? I'd honestly rather see nothing than something that does not resonate in the slightest bit
This belongs in the Halo Infinite forum, not in the Lore and Story forum.
This belongs in the Halo Infinite forum, not in the Lore and Story forum.
Maybe, but it's specifically about the lore. In context with the trailer and the game, sure. But it's about the lore under 343i.

It's still a year and a half until release, gameplay will probably change majorly during that time and we don't want another "They lied to us because what we saw at E3 2019 doesn't match what we get" ordeal. Considering the release date, I think this trailer's fine. Yes, it sucks that we have to wait another year and there are so many unanswered questions. The article they just released confirmed next year will be huge. We're gonna have to wait anyway, I don't see the point of showing anything that will probably get changed and cause controversy later down the road.
That is exactly the thing, a year and a half so I guess we should get one more trailer (with some gameplay) but we haven't been told anything. I'm sorry but this feels more like the trailer from Halo 5 instead of the trailer from Halo 2.
Honestly, I thought it was pretty neat, though I do see where you are coming from. Part of your disappointment is straightforwardly rooted in high expectations and I think that while it's hard not to, you may have had a more enjoyable time with what little they showed from expecting less.

Also, part of me expected less because I didn't want too much anyways. I was hoping to see that the game will be released next year and all that jazz (and I see that it is!). So I'm pretty content in the view of most things.
I was definitely expecting more than this. The E3 the year before halo 5 had a decent trailer and advertised the beta and such. The focus on the random guy felt odd.

And while I'd made peace with chief going back to the h2/h3 look that I don't like, that shade of green just...ugh. It looks like its painted in flood blood.
If I’m going to be honest, I enjoyed the trailer. It gave us a look at in-game footage and I gotta say it’s looking good so far. Yes it wasn’t gameplay as such but I’m fine with that. We won’t have to wait until another E3 to get footage, they’ll release it when it is closer to the game’s release (but before the next E3). The reason I think they held it off is because they’re not ready yet to show us gameplay as they want to polish it and make it good for us fans to watch. Also we got a confirmed release window too for when to expect the game so that’s also good.
The tráiler was really short
The point of the new character is to set the mood for the universe we're stepping into. It's cold, lonely, we lost, Cortana has possibly activated the Halo Array. Beardguy is used to show that emotion onto a human face.
I am disappointed that we got nothing more than a tiny taste that really didn't tell us anything specific... but I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no discussion value. We have a broken ring, a new character, Chief mysteriously floating in space for some reason, a control room, and a Cortana monologue. I can't wait to see Hiddenxperia's, Halo Canon's, LNG's, and Act Man's takes (along with other youtubers I frequent) on what this all means.

I mean take a look at the trailer last year. People were finding little easter eggs all over that engine demo weeks after it was released.
The teaser trailers never show anything significant. I actually thought we were given a lot compared to previous Halo teasers.
I am... disappointed and rather hopeful.

Now while the trailer didnt reveal much, the OG Mark VI was a welcome return in my book. I know some fans are disappointed returning to the old art style and while Halo 4 and Halo 5 Guardians may have a place in Halo Infinite. Nothing can honestly beat Master Chief in that OG armor we all saw him in at the end of Halo 3. I am not jumping in support of Bungies art style as the AR looks like something akin to one in Halo Reach and I liked it personally, but the sound of the shields recharging had me jumping with joy.

Ignoring the art style and sound so far however.

After the rather... unexpected turn in Halo 5 Guardians with the Created which is basically space skynet and Cortana. I am simply not interested and I want this plot to end so that we can move on. Woopie the humans lost and we are the underdogs again, only this time it is Forerunner Tech kicking our teeth in. Great job as guess what no Tier 3 or Tier 2 is going to be able to make an effective stand against Tier 1 tech as shown with the space owls aka Guardians basically EMP'd everything and nothing could actually stop them.

Now we are supposed to believe the UNSC or what is left is going to win somehow?

In the end we know we are going to probably win, but can we please just end this arc already and return to what me and many in the fandom who are versed in the expanded universe are waiting for? I want to return to fighting the Flood over Forerunner AI/Prometheans that are basically bullet sponges and for the love of the MoR, please no more Warden Boss Battles. One was alright but eight was simply ridiculous and if we fight that guy more then three times in Halo Infinite. I will be sorely disappointed as we know 343i can do better.
The fact that they didn't show anything because it's still a year and a half away would have been a valid argument if they'd have shown nothing or shown very very little. Instead, we got a 6 minute long (!!!) trailer that focused on that new character (zzz) and paraded John in the new armor as if that alone is worth the teaser. The ring we already knew about. The control room? Okay, that's pretty much the only new thing worth discussing, but even that is very thin.

I'd honestly rather have a minute long trailer than what we got
I always guessed it was going to be a launch title for the new system, so after they said it was a 2020 holiday release I set my mind to accept infinite was a 2020 release.

While I wouldn't say disappointed, I am a bit deflated cause I guess given the lack of info we had since last E3, I expected more than a pilot rocking a beautiful beard...how did he maintain that....and a short but impressive glimpse of the MC and more questions on the story.
It was 6 minutes long, which is twice as long as most trailers are. Length wasn't the issue here. The content, or lack thereof, was the issue.

I always guessed it was going to be a launch title for the new system, so after they said it was a 2020 holiday release I set my mind to accept infinite was a 2020 release.

While I rouldnt say disappointed, I am a bit deflated cause I guess given the lack of info we had since last E3 expected more than a pilot rocking a beautiful beard...how did he maintain that....and a short but impressive glimpse of the MC and more questions on the story.
I don't mind the 2020 release, it was to be expected. But I do mind the fact that this trailer just rehashed what was already shown in a much more effective way in E3 2018 (new-old art style, Halo ring, CE vibes) and showed them from an entirely irrelevant point of view. Do we really need another new main character? Given the long list of characters they misused, disserviced and outright botched in Halo 5, I would say the answer is a big no.

If the trailer, instead, followed Catherine Halsey, or Captain Laskey or any number of actually interesting existing characters, perhaps the lack of actual news worthy of a year-long silence would have had some merit. But nope. We get beardguy and his family sob story, and the reiterated statement that "this is old Halo, but it's actually new, but it's actually old Halo" which absolutely rings hollow and does very little (if anything) to raise my hopes that this studio is capable of salvaging a good story out of the trainwreck that was Halo 5's Created plot twist.
It was 6 minutes long, which is twice as long as most trailers are. Length wasn't the issue here. The content, or lack thereof, was the issue.

While I rouldnt say disappointed, I am a bit deflated cause I guess given the lack of info we had since last E3 expected more than a pilot rocking a beautiful beard...how did he maintain that....and a short but impressive glimpse of the MC and more questions on the story.
I don't mind the 2020 release, it was to be expected. But I do mind the fact that this trailer just rehashed what was already shown in a much more effective way in E3 2018 (new-old art style, Halo ring, CE vibes) and showed them from an entirely irrelevant point of view. Do we really need another new main character? Given the long list of characters they misused, disserviced and outright botched in Halo 5, I would say the answer is a big no.

If the trailer, instead, followed Catherine Halsey, or Captain Laskey or any number of actually interesting existing characters, perhaps the lack of actual news worthy of a year long silence would have had some merit. But nope. We get bearduy and his family sob story, and the reiterated statement that "this is old Halo, but it's actually new, but it's actually old Halo" which absolutely rings hollow and does very little (if anything) to raise my hopes that this studio is capable of salvaging a good story out of the trainwreck that was Halo 5's Created plot twist.
100% agree on the trailer. If we got a cut scene, even if they did a marvel studios and it was one that wasnt actually in the game, where we saw characters which have been introduced between 4 and 5 having some dialogue and then we got that bit at the end with Cortana talking and MC walking up to her I would have felt more content.

The trailer, while great to look at/ definitely got all the old art style fans soiling themselves with the design, as you said it was alot of what we have already figured out with on a few minor updates in hard to spot Easter eggs. I hope we get something more by year end so 2020 E3 is just a full gameplay and story trailer, because that hasn't hyped me up enough. It's making halo mysterious but not in a really good way.
I don’t share the same opinions about the trailer being short that others do. It actual caught me by surprise, because I constantly thought the trailer was going to cut off shortly. I think length was fine, the art, sound, but I also felt we were shown a whole lot of nothing at the same time. Long suspenseful nice looking trailer, yet we haven’t really learned anything. In fact, we’ve learned less than the first trailer, though just a engine preview, I’d almost argue it was better than the current trailer.
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
I don’t share the same opinions about the trailer being short that others do. It actual caught me by surprise, because I constantly thought the trailer was going to cut off shortly. I think length was fine, the art, sound, but I also felt we were shown a whole lot of nothing at the same time. Long suspenseful nice looking trailer, yet we haven’t really learned anything. In fact, we’ve learned less than the first trailer, though just a engine preview, I’d almost argue it was better than the current trailer.
It was much better IMO. Even graphically speaking. It was much more interesting
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4