Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Anything from 343i's art design you will miss?

OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
From Bungie's simple made design to 343i's more detailed design then back to a mix of both Bungie and 343i, I know a lot of people liked the classic designs, but ignoring any fans that joined after Halo 4, did any fans from the beginning liked anything from 343i's design that wish stayed or hope doesn't change yet?
Nothing I'll specifically "miss", though I never hated their redesign of Chief's MJOLNIR. I just hated that they never justified the change in-game.

The thing about 343's art direction, was that I always thought it was fine on it's own merits - it just didn't look like Halo a lot of the time. Especially Halo 5, when it seemed to be nonstop angular, geometric floaty bits and clean, sci-fi hallways. The Guardians themselves were just piles of angular floaty bits.

Halo has always been about that collision of sci-fi, and an almost 80's clunky, lumbering military aesthetic - olive greens, and drill sergeants chomping cigars, etc., contrasted with the smooth, svelte space stuff.
Because the game seems to have an extremely lame catoonish look I'd say everything from h5 art style will miss
I don’t know. We have barely seen anything except for the Chief’s armor, so who knows?
Simple answer; no, I won't miss anything. I think the simplified art style is better because I've never liked the random floating pieces on enemies. The Promethians are irritating to fight. All of the homing weapons make Legendary and Warzone a needless grind. That is one thing I would hope is that most of the homing weapons are removed or at least the tracking is greatly reduced.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the color coming back. I never like the washed out look of Halo 4 and Halo 5. The 343 games looked too busy for my tastes. Lots of texture that on it's own looks good, but it didn't look like Halo. I really didn't like the push to give Halo 5 a T rating instead of an M rating because artistically speaking that means we got "hit markers" as opposed to blood spray.

There are other things that I prefer in the Bungie games as opposed to the 343 games artistically but from what I can see, 343 is aware of these things and fixed them. I'm waiting to see more.
When u see chief with the atrocious green armor and the super ultra lame 117 on his chest,as an halo fan u can't be happy and optimistic for the future of the franchise.everything about halo infinite in terms of art style is disappointing right now
Heyhou117 wrote:
When u see chief with the atrocious green armor and the super ultra lame 117 on his chest,as an halo fan u can't be happy and optimistic for the future of the franchise.everything about halo infinite in terms of art style is disappointing right now
majority of people would disagree with you
No ur wrong many ppl were upset by the total atrocity that was the discover hope trailer. And that's totally normal, we are going to play a game where master chief is looking like the freaking forward unto dawn movie that is extremely terrible and ridiculous.my friends are mocking halo since the last trailer I'm so angry at 343 for making these stupid moves
Hmmm maybe 343i's Brutes, they looked amazing in HW2.
I liked their Banshees, that's about it.
A bit of a controversial opinion on my part, but I am going to miss the MJOLNIR armour the Master Chief has in Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians.
Heyhou117 wrote:
Yeah you're in the minority here, bud. Most of the reactions to his armor have been positive.
I don't say I agree with you when you say Bungie's maps were simple and 343's were more detailed. Bungie's maps were incredibly detailed, but they knew how to make maps with a good simple layout, while adding some detail to them.

To answer your question, I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to come up with something from 343's designs that I'll miss....and I can't really think of anything significant. I do miss Cortana's H4 look but 343 already got rid of that themselves. I do love the look of the Brutes in Halo Wars 2 (didn't actually play it, just watched the story cutscenes on Youtube.)

But other than those 2 things, I can't say there is really anything I will miss from H4 and 5 if 343 decides to redesign them.
No u are completely wrong, I've seen mixed reaction about this armor and art style and it's normal. Bungie took 9 years to make a halo game with good art style so I was pretty happy when 343 come up whith h4 who was miles above everything made in the past halo games.
From what I can gather I don't think I can think of anything I liked from the 4,5 art style and the 'Discovery hope' may have been the best thing I've seen happen to Halo's art style since HW2. Hell I'd be surprised if I've forgotten something since I didn't like the cluttered armour design in Halo 5, well Halo 4's armour looked too much like plastic and generally found the general design of the Promethean to not be consistent with Forerunner tech. Plus there are some armour types I wouldn't mind if they never returned due to them being impractical due to impairing the Spartans vision. Though the vehicles are sort of hit and miss for me....though I've never liked the sound design changes to the warthog in 4,5 since it sounds nothing like the classic Warthog.
The only little detail I actaully liked from H4/5 were the electric plasma effects under the Ghost, but frankly, I can live without it as well. I also enjoyed some aspects from the Sangheli historic architecture, can't say the same thing about the main city frame tough... I really have a hard time elevating anything from 343i over Bungie's era frankly. I think light sources were used better in the past, horror inspired aliens bore me to hell - even the new jackals which imho are fairly nice admittingly, but you can't go from birds to alligators without an in-game explanation, also the remodeled covenant vehicles are ugly as sin (especially the new Wrath from H5), Spartan armors look like power ranger toys, don't let me get started with Marines! Than there is the awful architecture with its overly designed and geometry braking patterns (which irks me especially seeing how I do work in the field)! Also how the ground is rendered, how nature is integrated with various buildings, how human settlements look like, how little love went into the sky boxes compared to H3/Reach etc. There isn't much left frankly, how people can claim they liked the H4/5 art direction the best is beyond me, but everyone its own I guess!

Hmmm maybe 343i's Brutes, they looked amazing in HW2.
HW2 was not made by 343i, they only helped out on some minor things. rater it's a Creative Assembly game mate! However, if you liked the HW2 art direction you should also love what we got in Hi, considering how both productions shared the same art-director, Jeremy Cook, not too long ago that is. If Hi has Brutes they most likely will share the same or at least a similar look, exception made maybe for the armor (especially because we still don't know if the antagonistic army is going to be the Covenant or the Banished quite yet).

Even though sadly Cook left the project a few months back, so a lot of things might have changed in the last production phase, but he still left a huge imprint on the game!

Heyhou117 wrote:
No u are completely wrong, I've seen mixed reaction about this armor and art style and it's normal. Bungie took 9 years to make a halo game with good art style so I was pretty happy when 343 come up whith h4 who was miles above everything made in the past halo games.
People were torn about the color and the 117 tag on his chest, but not much more. Compared to the armor discussion in the past, this is nothing mate! :)
I guess I underestimate the fan's alliances. There seems to be a mix of both side's enjoyments. To me I enjoy the new classic armor. Its only because it allows his personality be his intimidation more than his look. Only thing about Halo 4-5 Chief armor is I never liked how his chest popped so much. You could put a dish there and eat for dinner. If only the fan service can agree on both terms though.
I'll miss the Mantis if it becomes a casualty of the art style change and gets completely axed.

Seriously, Mantises. Change them, make them bulkier, 343i, but... Keep them in the game, too, please.
Heyhou117 wrote:
I'm sorry I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you said H4 was miles above all past Halo titles, I can no longer take you seriously. That is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.
recruit armor, unless there is going to be a gen 3 version for recruit, then that would be interesting to see
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4