Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Anything from 343i's art design you will miss?

OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I liked the Promethean shotgun. The chunky (power-ranger) armour will not be missed.
The only little detail I actaully liked from H4/5 were the electric plasma effects under the Ghost, but frankly, I can live without it as well. I also enjoyed some aspects from the Sangheli historic architecture, can't say the same thing about the main city frame tough... I really have a hard time elevating anything from 343i over Bungie's era frankly. I think light sources were used better in the past, horror inspired aliens bore me to hell - even the new jackals which imho are fairly nice admittingly, but you can't go from birds to alligators without an in-game explanation, also the remodeled covenant vehicles are ugly as sin (especially the new Wrath from H5), Spartan armors look like power ranger toys, don't let me get started with Marines! Than there is the awful architecture with its overly designed and geometry braking patterns (which irks me especially seeing how I do work in the field)! Also how the ground is rendered, how nature is integrated with various buildings, how human settlements look like, how little love went into the sky boxes compared to H3/Reach etc. There isn't much left frankly, how people can claim they liked the H4/5 art direction the best is beyond me, but everyone its own I guess!

Hmmm maybe 343i's Brutes, they looked amazing in HW2.
HW2 was not made by 343i, they only helped out on some minor things. rater it's a Creative Assembly game mate! However, if you liked the HW2 art direction you should also love what we got in Hi, considering how both productions shared the same art-director, Jeremy Cook, not too long ago that is. If Hi has Brutes they most likely will share the same or at least a similar look, exception made maybe for the armor (especially because we still don't know if the antagonistic army is going to be the Covenant or the Banished quite yet).

Even though sadly Cook left the project a few months back, so a lot of things might have changed in the last production phase, but he still left a huge imprint on the game!

Heyhou117 wrote:
No u are completely wrong, I've seen mixed reaction about this armor and art style and it's normal. Bungie took 9 years to make a halo game with good art style so I was pretty happy when 343 come up whith h4 who was miles above everything made in the past halo games.
People were torn about the color and the 117 tag on his chest, but not much more. Compared to the armor discussion in the past, this is nothing mate! :)
Yeah I was so sad Jeremy left, I loved his art style.
kjbart wrote:
Heyhou117 wrote:
No u are completely wrong, I've seen mixed reaction about this armor and art style and it's normal. Bungie took 9 years to make a halo game with good art style so I was pretty happy when 343 come up whith h4 who was miles above everything made in the past halo games.
I'm sorry I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you said H4 was miles above all past Halo titles, your opinion is no longer valid. That is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.
Lol but thats how opinions work haha
Falconx03 wrote:
kjbart wrote:
Heyhou117 wrote:
I'm sorry I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you said H4 was miles above all past Halo titles, your opinion is no longer valid. That is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.
Lol but thats how opinions work haha
I suppose you are right. I have edited that original post.
I definitely won't miss some of Halo 5's Forge items, they look like plastic toys and building blocks meant for children rather than actual pieces used for building a map. But I will miss their Forerunner designs if they decide to go back to Bungie's less detailed ones. I dunno if it was engine limitations or what, but Bungie seems to think that 'advanced Alien technology' is apparently bland, beige, and made of stone. 343i made everything look sleek, metallic, and advanced and I don't understand the hate for it.

When I look at Bungie's idea of an advanced Alien race as far as cultural influence for building materials and styles? I see stone structures. That's it. Stone with carvings. That doesn't scream 'advanced', that screams caveman. So, I don't know; was Bungie trying to be ironic?

343i brought about a look I can actually stand because it fits the aesthetic the Forerunners should have in my opinion. There's holographic screens and images just floating about everywhere, the material looks like it's made out of an unknown metal, everything's all lit up and nice looking. And people complain about the 'floating bits', I for one adore them. To me it says that the Forerunners built what they did with the intention of it being self sufficient.

I also love what they've done with the looks of the species. Elites look a bit more menacing (honestly I couldn't take Halo 2 Elites very seriously in the old graphics, they looked too adorable with their black beady eyes), Halo 2's remaster actually made the Elites look menacing to me. They actually looked like they should command the fear driven respect in the remaster. The Brutes looked a bit nicer too, though some of the movements seemed a bit weird (like Tartarus' nostril flare). Grunts and Hunters looked much better as did Jackals. Overall, they did a great job bringing these species into the next generation.

As for Halo Wars 2, I think the Brutes look pretty good, though my friend doesn't understand where their snouts went (they had snouts???). They've always just looked like giant gorillas to me, and that honestly hasn't changed. So, I dunno, I do however love their design for Spartans in HW2, but I'm not a big fan of their Professor Anders look. She went from being a small petite Asian scientist to a sort of stocky, well formed, square-ish jawed Asian scientist. (I'm a bit on the fence about the voice change, though I do understand the reason for it.) I also adore Captain Cutter's visual change. I get the original makers were going for an old war dog kind of look in the first game, but I think the change 343i made fits better.
The SMG model is awesome. I want the same design from Halo 5, but with a larger stock, like the Halo 2 one when you use only one SMG
I really like what they did with the Scorpion and Halo 5 AR. I also did like the overall profile of the H4/H5 era MC armor, I just think it was a bit too busy and could have used some simplification.

My biggest problem with a lot of the 343 design isn't that I think a lot of them are necessarily bad in and of themselves, they just don't work in context. For example, I don't really have a problem with the design of the 343 Rocket launcher except for the fact that it was supposed to be the "Rocket Launcher". What I mean is that Rockets in Halo have such a distinct look with the double rotating tubes that replacing it with a more conventional looking launcher that performs more or less the same just doesn't mess well. Now imagine if the M57 Pilum was added in place of the Hydra as say a lighter weight, player guided rocket with lower splash damage as a companion to classic Rocks, I don't think people would have an issue with the design.

To use another example, I actually rather liked the design of the Prometheans and Requiem as a whole in Halo 4 because at the time, I assumed it was just Warrior Servant design contrasting the Builder design of Halo CE-Halo 3. However once we get to Halo 5 and Genesis(a builder world) the 343 era designs fall apart when it is representing the entirety of Forerunner designs. Basically I would like 343 Promethean designs a lot more if they were a mere subset of the wider Forerunner aesthetic rather than when it makes up the entirety of the Forerunner aesthetic.

I'm sure if I thought about it some more I could come up with lots of little things I liked that 343 made, but the problem is that we got huge paradigm shifts across almost all aspects of Halo's design that is understandably jarring to a lot of folks and the lore justification's to what should have been pure art design changes only muddied the waters further.
Nope nothing
Heyhou117 wrote:
When u see chief with the atrocious green armor and the super ultra lame 117 on his chest,as an halo fan u can't be happy and optimistic for the future of the franchise.everything about halo infinite in terms of art style is disappointing right now
tell that to halo 4 and 5's sales and player retention
Halo 3 is the best looking halo game to this day no cap.
I'd argue that Reach's art style was better, but thats just my opinion.
recruit armor, unless there is going to be a gen 3 version for recruit, then that would be interesting to see
I agree with this guy. Out of all 343's armor Recruit recruit captured the Halo feel the most.
Not missing anything from Halo 5's, but I'm really gonna miss the half of H4's art style. It was my favorite, although I admit that some things were not compatible with what Halo established. But I don't think EVERYTHING needed to go. The covenant design (aside from the grunts, elites and maybe jackals themselves) really honored bungie's work, The remakes of the old armors, as well as the one chief uses were perfect to me. The human weapons, aside from the sniper and shotgun, were incredible. 343 was equally good when designing outer environments. In some instances I'm afraid we'll go back from this to this. And also cortana lol
I miss Halo 4 Cortana.
Getting a bit technical, this is still going to be 343i’s art style. Technicalities aside, I’ll not miss a whole lot from H4 and H5. But, I hope to see the Mantis’s design continue as it has. Would be great to see Bungie/H4 Cortana return as well. I don’t think it gets mentioned enough, but the Warthog and Phantom were evolved by 343i really well. That’s really about it that I can think of right now. Most weapons, vehicles, and character models should look like evolutions of their versions from older games.
I can't say I'm going to miss the old 343i art style. I am not sure what kind of message they were trying to send by changing it so abruptly in 2012-- but Halo lost most of it's uniqueness when it happened. It looked like every other AAA Sci-Fi title of the 2010's. A few points stand out whenever I think about the 2012 Halo aesthetic...

1. LOOKS GREAT, BUT IT'S NOT HALO:

As many have said: The 343i art style is certainly good and they did hire talented artists -- but what they designed just did not look like Halo at all...except for maybe the gold visors... (I am trying very hard not to be biased here). I personally found 343's changes to be far too patronizing to modern market trends in both an artistic and mechanical sense -- especially in the Forerunner sections where I got a lot of Mass Effect, Starwars and Startrek reboot vibes. 343i's forerunner architecture in 4-5 looked like it was designed by Apple.

To be fair, Halo has shamelessly copied other properties in every game since it's first development cycle in 1999. There is a clear distinction between what one developer copied vs. the other, however.

2. I MISS WHEN BUNGIE STOLE IDEAS:

Bungie made a controversial art-style change between Halo CE and Halo 2 -- though it was generally much better received in it's time than 343's changes were in 2012. The change did not stray far away from the core aesthetic-- but rather added fidelity and practicality to it. Change is good-- but change should ad fidelity and practicality. Change should always be complimentary. Bungie gathered 40 years of old, obscure Sci-Fi tropes and tossed them into a blender with modern sporting and military trends for their trilogy. They parodied (and in most cases shamelessly copied) a lot of 60s-90s franchises: Especially Starship Troopers, Ghost in the Shell, The Vang, Alien... and of course... Ringworld...

Bungie copied cult-classics, but rarely ever strayed into mainstream territory for new ideas, and generally avoided copying parallel trends, whether by happy accident or purposefully. I think that is why Halo itself became so mainstream. The obscure, recycled Sci-Fi trends that were selected blended very well with the modern military/sports flavors present in the classic style. We play as the most practical looking faction. We relate well to the aesthetic because there is an air of practicality to it. It resonates well with a variety of demographics. It was a note that Bungie took from the earliest incarnations of the Alien franchise.

This is the reason that the ODST's look like Sci-Fi S.W.A.T. officers and Kevlar is somehow still popular in the 2550s. This is why Chief's helmet looks more like a Motocross helmet than a space helmet. This is why the BR looks like a FAMAS and the AR looks like something Kel-Tec would have hacked together in 2002. This is the reason that the Warthog and Mongoose respectively look like clunky civilian mudding toys in polished hues of 70s military green and this is also why the Marines wear GITS sec.9 / quirky Starship Trooper gear over their dubiously 1980's fatigues.

These aesthetics made the original trilogy easy to relate to because these aesthetics were already around us. Halo is supposed to be angular and monolithic. No matter how advanced, the technology should look practical, useful, perhaps even purposefully dated and used. Halo's art style is all about a grungy, practical, military aesthetic contrasting the wonder and mystery of the wider universe.

Fingers crossed on this design strategy coming back with the release of Infinite...

3. FORERUNNER/PROMETHEAN AESTHETICS ARE OUT OF PLACE IN 4-5:

Much like classic Halo's humans, The Forerunners are historically utilitarian in their designs. Even though they are leagues more advanced than any living being in the mainline trilogy-- they very rarely if ever design something "just because they can". We see this in the design of the sentinels, enforcers, monitors and general architecture of Forerunner installations. They are all distinctively metallic, monolithic, quiet-- anything that glows is gentle, muted, not distracting.

You may not always know the purpose-- but you can always incur that there is a specific purpose to every tiny geometric figure in Forerunner creation. That feeling is important to any Sci-Fi piece. I truly hope that Prometheans become more practical and purposeful in their characteristics. They should follow principals similar to enforcers. T-rated glowing skull robots simply make no sense as a Forerunner creation. The Covenant is the flashy faction here.
Not missing anything from Halo 5's, but I'm really gonna miss the half of H4's art style. It was my favorite, although I admit that some things were not compatible with what Halo established. But I don't think EVERYTHING needed to go. The covenant design (aside from the grunts, elites and maybe jackals themselves) really honored bungie's work, The remakes of the old armors, as well as the one chief uses were perfect to me. The human weapons, aside from the sniper and shotgun, were incredible. 343 was equally good when designing outer environments. In some instances I'm afraid we'll go back from this to this. And also cortana lol
Bro, you had me at "also Cortana" I think thats what everyone wants in Cortana
Tacymist wrote:
I miss Halo 4 Cortana.
Very little detail, you mean who personality, development... or was it her model?
I'd argue that Reach's art style was better, but thats just my opinion.
halo reach art style is dope as well, but halo 3 at 1080p 60fps on the mcc is the most graphically impressive still
Tacymist wrote:
I miss Halo 4 Cortana.
Very little detail, you mean who personality, development... or was it her model?
Believe me, it was the model! 😂
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4