1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
I don't really like it, to be honest.
Infinite should focus on "run & gun" Gameplay and innovate the equipment system. (IMO) There's a big difference between Equipment & Armour abilities. You have to pick both of them up, but everyone can benefit from Equipment (your team, as well as your opponents, when you drop them carelessly) However, only one person can benefit from Armour abilities. We already have Power Ups for this category.

I mean I can live with some AA just as pickups in some maps. (No Loadouts, equal starts) but I doubt that they would be very useful.
However, sprint is not one of them. We already have speed-boost pickups. No pointless sprint animation.
I prefer no armor abilities. I’m a huge H2 and H3 fan and thought those were the best Halo games.
I like the abilities as well and would like to see most of them return. I'm ok with spartan charge going to file 13, but I like ground pound. The splash damage needs to be removed though. IMO it should be a direct hit to kill, no matter how weak your opponents shields are. I'm ok with unlimited sprint as well. If spartan charge is removed, sprint users will be more vulnerable than ever, so I don't see it as overpowered
I was at the sprint discussion thread and had an idea of sprint being a pick up ability like bubble shield. Sounds cool right
Horrible idea. We need movement mechanics to be even starts. No movement ability should ever be a pickup item. They should be innate.

In your OP, you say design the maps around playstyle, not movement mechanics. Could you elaborate?

Simply saying playstyle isn't enough, or sufficient enough to grasp the idea you're trying to portray. What playstyle? Who's playstyle? You understand many players have different playstyles right?

The maps must be made with movenent mechanics in mind. I can't really see any way around that. The discussions usually "what movement mechanics = bad over compensating map design?"
Example of an argument is
"Why sprint and make maps bigger? Why not just boost BMS and make maps a traditional size. Spartans cover maps pretty equally when you realize in sprint designed maps, ideally they're just made bigger to compensate how fast you can get back to the fight."

Or

"Sprint has other uses, like sliding, charging, and now triggering button combos like extended charge."

Etc. I got up really early. I'll reread your OP incase I misunderstood.
no problem dude

what I meant by playstyle is let me think....
something like halo three sandtrap,it had flags on the elephants which kept moving changing the style of play in a unique and fun way.sand trap wasnt made around what the player could do with pick ups but focused on the fun and unique side of things, you could argue that maps have to be designed around sprint, clamber, thruster and all that, but in halo 5 it was too repetitive, and the use of man cannons teleporters barely existed.

ill give you another example you know the map in halo 4 where you could shoot at a target on a tower which creates an electric shock, that was unique to that map, and created mire strategies
Idk what you mean by it being to repetitive. I find that it makes it so much more diverse and the level of depth within the movement is amazing. There's some dope jumps you could do in halo 5. It's pretty fun, but that's just my opinion of course.

And you're talking about scripted things right?. There isn't many in halo 5. They're limited to from what I remember, just things like jumps. I do recall that in halo 4. It was alright. I wasnt in love with it, but it was something new.

For teleporters...idk man...I've honestly never liked those much cause people can set up and just camp right by them. It's super annoying like if someone has a shottie or sword. I guess it depends on the weapons and power ups. Man cannons aren't too bad in halo 5 since the thrusters can advance the cannon to shoot you somewhere else or to make a special jump. Other than that though, it's just too predictable.

The elephants were pretty dope though.
Increase movement speed and get rid of sprint.
Cmacaveli wrote:
Maps would still be made around that. Fair starts is all that matters, I think sprint deserves to stay if done right. You could say it affects map design but thats just down to the map design.

And I really dont think theyll remove sprint or this franchise would be very inconsistent, in terms of gameplay.
I prefer no armor abilities. I’m a huge H2 and H3 fan and thought those were the best Halo games.
Since it's unlikely that 343 remove armor abilities, how would you tweak to fit your liking.
Since it's unlikely that 343 remove armor abilities, how would you tweak to fit your liking.
Because its Halo I will adapt to play it. The Sprint and Thrust are ok but remove the ground pound and charge and it would be a bit better.
You were on the sprint discussion thread saying the same thing how it going mate :D
I agree with everything except sprint. I think sprint should stay unlimited since were modified super soldiers with advance combat suits that allow us to be faster and stronger than a normal human.
You were on the sprint discussion thread saying the same thing how it going mate :D
Going good bro. No need to make Halo try to follow other games by adding sprint, or loadouts, or any other fancy ability. Halo was the best when it was kept simple, and they should use that idea to make Halo a simple yet amazing game just like Halo 2 and 3 were.

Listen to the fans. Look at what the hardcore Halo fans say is the best Halo. Look at what the most popular Halo game was. And when someone mentions Halo to a Halo player what is the first Halo they think about. The answers will be Halo 1, 2, or 3. Those first 3 Halo games were the best Halo games ever. When other things were added in the game it took away from the original Halo feel. Why stray away from what made Halo so popular and amazing. Go back to the basics.

No sprint or loadouts like COD.
No open world like Destiny.
No Battle Royale like Fortnite.

This is Halo. 343 has the potential to bring back the most epic FPS if they listen to their fans and go back to the basics.
Cmacaveli wrote:
Maps would still be made around that. Fair starts is all that matters, I think sprint deserves to stay if done right. You could say it affects map design but thats just down to the map design.

And I really dont think theyll remove sprint or this franchise would be very inconsistent, in terms of gameplay.
I mean it's already pretty inconsistent, especially with the last four main releases, so yeah. I don't think the gameplay style will matter to anyone outside of Halo's fans. We have a CoD clone, a game that tried to bring Halo to the future without completely changing it, a game heavily inspired by old school Arena Shooters, and a game in its own lane built on being competitive first rather than being fun.

As for the first part, I agree with the implication that map design is independent of mechanics, but when the map design is influenced by what player mechanics there are rather than being influenced and driven by "pure" creativity, then there are going to be "problems." All of the maps in Halo 5 Arena are designed to make some effective use out of all the Spartan Abilities so that none of them feel like gimmicks, which is a fault Bungie had as well when designing Reach's maps, but not to the same extent. There's only so many things you can do as a map designer when you limit your creations to maximize a certain gameplay loop or the use of everything at the player's disposal. I'd rather just build a map and place what makes sense to be on it afterwards.

Spoiler:
Show
Im fine with sprinting, sliding and clambering (I think I spelled it wrong but whatever). not a fan of all that thruster stuff, theres a limit to how many time a person can get spartan charged the moment they respawn before they've had enough of the game.
I wouldnt mind seeing them back. I do think they need some tinkering. But i think some abilities should remain only in social, similair to what they did with the hcs playlist.
Going good bro. No need to make Halo try to follow other games by adding sprint, or loadouts, or any other fancy ability. Halo was the best when it was kept simple, and they should use that idea to make Halo a simple yet amazing game just like Halo 2 and 3 were.

Listen to the fans. Look at what the hardcore Halo fans say is the best Halo. Look at what the most popular Halo game was. And when someone mentions Halo to a Halo player what is the first Halo they think about. The answers will be Halo 1, 2, or 3. Those first 3 Halo games were the best Halo games ever. When other things were added in the game it took away from the original Halo feel. Why stray away from what made Halo so popular and amazing. Go back to the basics.

This is Halo. 343 has the potential to bring back the most epic FPS if they listen to their fans and go back to the basics.
Agreed
suxell33 wrote:

Agreed
suxell33 wrote:

Agreed
They should try both sides of the coin with the beta, depending on the feedback theyll switch it over.
I think sprint and clamber should be the only spartan abilities you can spawn with. Ground pound and spartan charge are unnecessary and give people easy free kills. Over-shield and Camo are necessary power ups in competitive play. They make the game must more interesting. But yeah I'm sick and tired of being spartan charged and then AR'd by noobs, easy kills with no skill.
Unpopular opinion: How about double jump?
I think sprint and clamber should be the only spartan abilities you can spawn with. Ground pound and spartan charge are unnecessary and give people easy free kills. Over-shield and Camo are necessary power ups in competitive play. They make the game must more interesting. But yeah I'm sick and tired of being spartan charged and then AR'd by noobs, easy kills with no skill.
100% with u on this. Email this to 343.
I like the abilities as well and would like to see most of them return. I'm ok with spartan charge going to file 13, but I like ground pound. The splash damage needs to be removed though. IMO it should be a direct hit to kill, no matter how weak your opponents shields are. I'm ok with unlimited sprint as well. If spartan charge is removed, sprint users will be more vulnerable than ever, so I don't see it as overpowered
I was at the sprint discussion thread and had an idea of sprint being a pick up ability like bubble shield. Sounds cool right
You mean like in Reach?

Halo was never kept simple. Every Halo game released was the most advanced game the Xbox could handle. Bungie never tried to "keep it simple". Every release they tried to push the limits. Between CE and 3, each release was more popular than the last because each release gave us more. More equipment. Better movement. More skills. All the other developers were trying to make their games as good as Halo.

Let's face it. Some people found some unique ways to get around a map, and in the next game anyone could do the same thing with a Jet Pack or Clamor. Some people didn't like that. Still don't.

Spartans have abilities. Otherwise it would be a game about normal humans. You know, like Call of Duty. WWII stuff. Had games like that for years. Halo comes out and we all went to Halo. Was it because Halo had better guns, or because a Spartan could flip an Elephant? Spartans are enhanced humans wearing fusion-powered armor. How does eliminating all that potential movement speed and power make the game better? Why go through the trouble of placing the game in the 26th Century if we're going to play the game with 18th Century abilities? Just strip all that armor off and give everyone a revolver. Then we'll see who's the best.

I don't know why so many people want the next game on the most advanced Xbox ever to be no better than Halo CE. You folks know that whatever abilities or equipment that comes with the next game can and probably will be stripped away for "competitive" multiplayer, right? There's no way you're going to be "stuck" with dealing with abilities you don't agree with. Just make a Custom Game with nothing you don't like in it, and see if anyone else likes to play that way. Removing the abilities doesn't make the game any harder, and having the abilities doesn't make the game easier. Any difference between the two extremes is all in your head. People need to stop blaming things like armor abilities and loadouts for their inability to win. If you're good, it doesn't matter.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5