Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Armor Color Customization in big jeopardy!

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
Suprisingly, I have only seen a few youtubers comment on this, but recently we have seen a Canada promotion for Chips Ahoy, Trident gum, Sour patch kids... etc. promise codes for in-game items when Infinite comes out. If you click on this link and go under "participation offer details" you will see that some of the items promised are "Granular Armor Coating" + "Monarch Armor Coating". As you can see in the picture, these are NOT different armors but just a color scheme on the same armor. Another example corroborating this recently is people redeeming the halo toys that come with "in game items" on waypoint. What pops up is "WCT(wicked cool toys) armor coating", confirming it again.
Link for that here

Honestly, if color or color schemes will be paywalled this will be the first time this has been done. I think its absolutely ridiculous if this is the case. I really hope that there isn't an egregious battle pass system where they are nickel and diming us left and right for skins, but its sure looking like it so far.
It may be a specific design style that cannot be unlocked other than this way. I still think we will be able to customize individual armor pieces. Although I can wholeheartedly agree that items being pay-walled sucks, it is seemingly the way of the industry as a whole.
It may be a specific design style that cannot be unlocked other than this way. I still think we will be able to customize individual armor pieces. Although I can wholeheartedly agree that items being pay-walled sucks, it is seemingly the way of the industry as a whole.
I hope so, but even then that feels slimy. I honestly wouldn't have beef with it if the entire game was F2P. But how they have it right now they are charging full price for the game if you wanna play campaign but multiplayer is F2P. So basically the most hardcore fans will pay that price or more (considering theres a collectors edition) and still be left with a F2P monetization model --- thus the most loyal fans will get screwed. They are having their cake and eating it too.
SDdawg wrote:
I hope so, but even then that feels slimy. I honestly wouldn't have beef with it if the entire game was F2P. But how they have it right now they are charging full price for the game if you wanna play campaign but multiplayer is F2P. So basically the most hardcore fans will pay that price or more (considering theres a collectors edition) and still be left with a F2P monetization model --- thus the most loyal fans will get screwed. They are having their cake and eating it too.
I've LONG supported that those who buy the collectors/limited/legendary/console editions get more than what they normally do. Basically every level up you go limited>collectors>legendary>console edition receive EVERYTHING in the previous levels. With the F2P MP I think this should be even more prevalent than it has been in past Halo games. I mean those individuals are now dishing out a CONSIDERABLE amount of money upfront, there should be armors that arent release or able to be unlocked unless you get these editions. Granted that's another pay wall style item but its directly related to the game. Not chocolate chip cookies, energy drinks, toys, etc.

I wish the world operated differently but as with any larger company, their bottom line is $. I also completely disagree with the price of someone who downloads the game compared to buying a physical copy of the game being charged the same price. If its $60 for the base, hard copy then why is there not a price drop for those who are downloading it directly (price of materials/time etc.). Its all about the benjamins.
At this point, it's only speculation that "Armor Coatings," translate to color shaders. I'm personally hoping that with names like "Granular," they're actually retextures rather than color-related. But that's only speculation at this point, too.

343i needs to get out in front of their messaging, though. This is just one example of many of a place where poor organization and communication have created the opportunity for optics problems for them regarding Infinite.

That all being said: If they're honestly rolling back the single most core element of player expression that the series has ever offered (the only original option for player expression and the only one that's always been entirely uninhibited for all players), they've made an astonishingly tone-deaf decision. They need to communicate with their community to address whether or not this is the case. The cat is already out of the bag thanks to the cross promotional material being out in the public. Leaving negative ambiguity around something that's already revealed doesn't make sense. They need to admit they've locked color choices behind premium pay walls or dismiss it as a misconception. Just my opinion, before anyone decides to take me to task for it.
SDdawg wrote:
I've LONG supported that those who buy the collectors/limited/legendary/console editions get more than what they normally do. Basically every level up you go limited>collectors>legendary>console edition receive EVERYTHING in the previous levels. With the F2P MP I think this should be even more prevalent than it has been in past Halo games. I mean those individuals are now dishing out a CONSIDERABLE amount of money upfront, there should be armors that arent release or able to be unlocked unless you get these editions. Granted that's another pay wall style item but its directly related to the game. Not chocolate chip cookies, energy drinks, toys, etc.

I wish the world operated differently but as with any larger company, their bottom line is $. I also completely disagree with the price of someone who downloads the game compared to buying a physical copy of the game being charged the same price. If its $60 for the base, hard copy then why is there not a price drop for those who are downloading it directly (price of materials/time etc.). Its all about the benjamins.
Pretty much. They could make insane profit off the IP alone but theyd rather risk losing tons of fans by hiding behind "f2p" in order to pump the game full of predatory FOMO based micro transactions. I hope its not as bad as it seems like it will be, but its honestly looking that way. I hope 343's gamble pays off cause if they burn what little hardcore fans halo has left idk how they plan to monetize Halo: INFINITE so much if it has as bad of a player count as mcc or halo 5 only a year after its launch.
I'm a fair bit concerned as well, but the lack of information on anything is equally disproving.

All I'll say is it would be horrible if colour customization was turned into skins... R.I.P in pepperoni player expression and identity.
I'm telling you right now, if I pay for the game & then get pay walled out of picking a freakin' color.. especially if it is a one time use... oh man oh man. The nail in the coffin would finally be here.

GG guys, its been a good 19 years.
I'm telling you right now, if I pay for the game & then get pay walled out of picking a freakin' color.. especially if it is a one time use... oh man oh man. The nail in the coffin would finally be here.

I wouldn't even buy it if that was confirmed. This would be the definition of 1 step forwards and 2 steps back as far as customization goes. But hopefully those fears are unjustified.

Honestly though we just have no idea what to expect. We're so desperate for info that we crack the whip at the smallest things.
sniper945 wrote:

I wouldn't even buy it if that was confirmed. This would be the definition of 1 step forwards and 2 steps back as far as customization goes. But hopefully those fears are unjustified.

Honestly though we just have no idea what to expect. We're so desperate for info that we crack the whip at the smallest things.
I agree, I'm not trying to just crack the whip, but I just don't see the appeal to armor coatings if I can just make my character the same color.. hmm
Judging by the amount of color variations we have seen on other toys and the fact that logically it would not make sense for 343 to actually restrict color customization to "armor coatings," I don't think color customization is in jeopardy. If anything I think armor coatings is more about patterns or overall finish on the armor. For example, some coatings may have scratches and paint faded while others are clean with accents of a certain color.
Halo 4 did a similar thing if we can all remember, certain versions (depending on where you bought it) gave you certain weapon skins and armors like the Locus helm. I wouldn't be worried about it, it sounds more like these are just exclusives that you can get by buying some external thing. I doubt this will take away/restrict our ability to customize our MP Spartans/characters the way we see fit.
Well, Unyshek touched on it in the newest Community Update... Kind of. No clarification on what, precisely, an armor coating is- or whether or not it restricts regular color selection. Just a higher-res render of the Monarch coating.

This is the kind of dead fish communication we've been getting from 343i that's so frustrating to me. In this case, they simply reiterate what we all have figured out with regards to how to unlock the promo items, without answering any questions we still have about said items.

They're recapping something that's already trickled out and failing to add substantive details, and then acting like it's a solid news fix for Infinite. Slight improvement on, "We can't tell you anything cuz our time tables got mixed up when we delayed the game k sry thx bye," but still doesn't come across as a dominant, confident approach to promoting their product. The question about whether or not coatings will infringe on regular color selection is a soft pitch straight down the middle from the community; particularly, if coatings don't impact regular color options, it's a chance for an easy home run. Even if they do affect color choice, then it's also best to face up to that now rather than later.

343. Make us believe that you believe in your game.
Judging by the amount of color variations we have seen on other toys and the fact that logically it would not make sense for 343 to actually restrict color customization to "armor coatings," I don't think color customization is in jeopardy. If anything I think armor coatings is more about patterns or overall finish on the armor. For example, some coatings may have scratches and paint faded while others are clean with accents of a certain color.
These are my thoughts as well, Anthem for example had a part of customization where you could determine the material that each segment of armor was made of (ex. clean metal, cloth, etc.) I believe this is what coatings are going to be. Having colors (not skins) locked behind a paywall would be monumentally stupid.

Well, the multiplayer is free to play... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I'd say expect it. The game is F2P, you know what that means.

Edit: everybody read what armour coatings are? RIP non-monetized colour customization lol You will be missed, primary and secondary.
Well, this was the dilemma of what I was getting at earlier. Its F2P for any casual fan who likes multiplayer only (I guess its low risk for those who have game pass as well, but still at a monthly subscription price). But for us loyal fans of the series who want a collectors edition we are going to end up spending full price if not double or more for it, and still be stuck with a F2P model in multiplayer. The problem is that it seems that 343 will be dipping their toes in both ponds: the F2P model and the traditional AAA model for those who want the game a la carte. Its a bit problematic. I'd rather just have 343 make the whole game free and then charge us for armor coatings, weapon skins, charms, emblems, etc. rather than appeal to a mainstream audience while at the same time gouge their most hardcore player-base. At least in that way people would know what they are getting into before playing.
TBH that fact that 343i haven't debunked this theory makes it look true
SDdawg wrote:
Well, this was the dilemma of what I was getting at earlier. Its F2P for any casual fan who likes multiplayer only (I guess its low risk for those who have game pass as well, but still at a monthly subscription price). But for us loyal fans of the series who want a collectors edition we are going to end up spending full price if not double or more for it, and still be stuck with a F2P model in multiplayer. The problem is that it seems that 343 will be dipping their toes in both ponds: the F2P model and the traditional AAA model for those who want the game a la carte. Its a bit problematic. I'd rather just have 343 make the whole game free and then charge us for armor coatings, weapon skins, charms, emblems, etc. rather than appeal to a mainstream audience while at the same time gouge their most hardcore player-base. At least in that way people would know what they are getting into before playing.
Nobody is forcing you to buy the collectors edition. If you don't like the business model, you shouldn't buy it. This is especially true because 343i have been hit-or-miss with Halo campaigns. Enjoy the free multiplayer and wait for reviews before buying the campaign, collector's edition be damned
They will probably implement a battle pass, just hoping it is not as bad as you make it sound...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22