Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Armor Color Customization in big jeopardy!

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. ...
  8. 22
Based off of Halo 5's color palette, 343 would need to make 1,770 different coatings to satisfy every color combination. This doesn't factor in if someone dislikes a pattern or a material on the coating. Too many variables, and too much work on their end to deem it a step forward.

Giving us the option to customize all of those seven layers would be a step forward. I'd even settle for just being able to choose the colors on the coatings.
Isn't it 3600? A simple 60x60?
It'll be whatever the number of colours there are, squared. I don't know how many colours there are in Halo 5 off the top of my head, but 1770 doesn't have an integter square root, so I'm going to go with 1770 not being the true number of combinations.
its 1770 helmet/armor/visor combinations, each with 3600 possible color combinations. making it 6.4 million unique customization outcomes.
There are far more helmet/armour/visor combinations than that in Halo 5. It's 3,375,036 combinations, if you include all of the variants of each armour and helmet.

For unique outcomes, it's 12,150,129,600 combinations: 12 billion combinations.
How much backlash do y’all think it’s going to take to change this? I think they have contracts and such to put these things out but if they let people chose color they might get sued for breach of contract because the coatings would be worthless.They dun put themselves in a rough spot
How much backlash do y’all think it’s going to take to change this? I think they have contracts and such to put these things out but if they let people chose color they might get sued for breach of contract because the coatings would be worthless.They dun put themselves in a rough spot
For Battlefront II, it took the game underperforming. I see no reason why it would be different for this game, at this rate. It's down to whether or not this decision is rectified.
So let me explain this in the simplest terms possible:
Halo Infinite Coats = Destiny Shaders.

I'm going to get a PC just so I can mod colors into my game.
they could keep the coatings as collor patterns and material shaders. this way the contract gets honored. the two to three colors per coating would be customizable. unique layouts per contratctor would probably honor the contract. the displayed colors would then be "artist suggestions".

first mod, necessary mod. will be out after 30 minutes xD
they could keep the coatings as collor patterns and material shaders. this way the contract gets honored. the two to three colors per coating would be customizable. unique layouts per contratctor would probably honor the contract. the displayed colors would then be "artist suggestions".
I agree with this suggestion, that is what I originally thought it would be.

Exactly what I was thinking. We got to see how much people disliked the shader system in Destiny, and how much more people disliked them being consumables in Destiny 2. Why would they ever think this was a good idea in Halo? As an addition to the armor coloring system, it’d be a cool idea. On its own like this? Not so much.
Well everyone it was a good 19 years... Time to put F in that chat.

I honestly don't understand on why 343 Industries would remove such a basic feature that is universally loved by the Halo community. If Halo Infinite is a $60.00 game then what are we paying for in that price tag when the multiplayer is free to play? Nah I'm good 343. I'm extremely disappointed in 343 on how they have handled this franchise. The MCC they don't even deserve credit for when five out of six games are Bungie games.. I hate this spiritual reboot of Infinite should be called 6 not this dumb name. Major red flag 🚩 (Spiritual Reboot & Free to Play Multiplayer) = franchise is dying and its dying fast. I feel like we the community are UNSC and 343 is the covenant and we are preparing for the Winter Contingency.... May god help us all
Well everyone it was a good 19 years... Time to put F in that chat. I honestly don't understand on why 343 Industries would remove such a basic feature that is universally loved by the Halo community. If Halo Infinite is a $60.00 game then what are we paying for in that price tag when the multiplayer is free to play? Nah I'm good 343. I'm extremely disappointed in 343 on how they have handled this franchise. The MCC they don't even deserve credit for when five out of six games are Bungie games.. I hate this spiritual reboot of Infinite should be called 6 not this dumb name. Major red flag 🚩 (Spiritual Reboot & Free to Play Multiplayer) = franchise is dying and its dying fast. I feel like we the community are UNSC and 343 is the covenant and we are preparing for the Winter Contingency.... May god help us all
Well you certainly have a way with words.
Everyone over here saying "don't open your wallet, don't support the game by buying into the big business agenda." Meanwhile I'm just waiting for the game to release because it's gonna be on gamepass which I'll have so really I'll be paying one payment of $15 for it and every other game I play on gamepass.

Though I do agree, being only allowed to use a prepurchased shader or skin or whatever kinda blows. I mean, the whole point if letting us customize our Spartans and ODSTs was to make them unique to us. For a brief moment we were them because we uniquely designed them each game that came out but now? Now we can only apply shaders/skins that we have to buy through some external thing? Not too excited about that.

These whatever the -Yoink!- they are that we're stuck with should be optional. I don't care if 343i made a contract or whatever, they have put themselves in a bad spot with this decision. If I want to color my Spartan, that should be my choice without having to grab my wallet. Because this is starting to feel like Warframe "pay us about $5 to get a new color palette! Otherwise you're stuck with the default colors."
They knew what they were doing but there's a solution they easily could've opted for, but haven't.
The classic; Primary & Secondary colours being locked to the main body, shoulders and legs, they could've changed that so Coatings are how colours are layed out and with what material on which sections (metal, matte gold), which are they, WITHOUT locking the actual colours

For example, they've could've 100% recreated all the pieces of Emiles armour from Halo Reach, then created a coat that has the Secondary Colour dedicated to just the Right Shoulder Armour Piece, the lower legs being dedicated to Tertiary and the primary being everything else, main body, upper legs, lower arms, left shoulder and head.

For any Coatings from promotions, like Monster, they could've had the Coatings have a preset 4th and 5th colour & material tied to said coating, kinda like Halo 5's skins,as well as take that approach with some standard coatings, like a full colour spectrum paint splatter coating

Hopefully, we'll be able to mod customization in without losing online play.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Well everyone it was a good 19 years... Time to put F in that chat. I honestly don't understand on why 343 Industries would remove such a basic feature that is universally loved by the Halo community. If Halo Infinite is a $60.00 game then what are we paying for in that price tag when the multiplayer is free to play? Nah I'm good 343. I'm extremely disappointed in 343 on how they have handled this franchise. The MCC they don't even deserve credit for when five out of six games are Bungie games.. I hate this spiritual reboot of Infinite should be called 6 not this dumb name. Major red flag 🚩 (Spiritual Reboot & Free to Play Multiplayer) = franchise is dying and its dying fast. I feel like we the community are UNSC and 343 is the covenant and we are preparing for the Winter Contingency.... May god help us all
Well you certainly have a way with words.
Nah it's incredibly frustrating. Who ever made this decision needs to go get a medical check up. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
true dat I still feel like you should take up poetry what you said was kinda poetic.
Because this is starting to feel like Warframe "pay us about $5 to get a new color palette! Otherwise you're stuck with the default colors."
Warframe colour pallets can be earned too. They are often given away at Haloween and Valentine's Day and other times like St Patrick's Day. You can buy them for platinum, that is true but Warframe has a good in game economy that allows you to earn platinum by selling items you've earned to other players.

It's not a case of "pay or you're stuck with default colours" at all. There are options to get them without paying. I would be okay with 343i adopting a Warframe type economy if I'm being honest. It works very well and it's easy to earn platinum from selling or trading items you don't want or need.
Mimu Sucho wrote:
The fact that we need to stir up a massive voice to get 343i to NOT screw their customers over is insane.
I'm not touching this game whatsoever if practices like this are allowed to be implemented, and I implore others to do the same.
Completely agree. Words mean nothing without action, and business only listens to money. Unless this is changed, or that this whole thing is a misunderstanding that can be better clarified, then don't support this practice. Don't support the game.
Vote with your wallet
The thing is that unlike Battlefront II, where you had to pay for almost everything else on top of the $60 game, Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is F2P, allowing them to take less of a beating than EA or Bethesda did with their approaches to predatory marketing practices. People complain constantly about Fortnite’s awful microtransactions practices, but because the game’s free and a shitton of pro players play it, the game’s still going well, and with the esports backing Infinite seems to have, Microsoft seems to be trying out a Fortnite route for cosmetics in order to avoid too much damage to sales over controversies related to the subject. The only thing we can do is make a big enough stink about it online that it becomes mainstream and hope that 343/Microsoft changes.
Mimu Sucho wrote:
The fact that we need to stir up a massive voice to get 343i to NOT screw their customers over is insane.
I'm not touching this game whatsoever if practices like this are allowed to be implemented, and I implore others to do the same.
Completely agree. Words mean nothing without action, and business only listens to money. Unless this is changed, or that this whole thing is a misunderstanding that can be better clarified, then don't support this practice. Don't support the game.
Vote with your wallet
The thing is that unlike Battlefront II, where you had to pay for almost everything else on top of the $60 game, Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is F2P, allowing them to take less of a beating than EA or Bethesda did with their approaches to predatory marketing practices. People complain constantly about Fortnite’s awful microtransactions practices, but because the game’s free and a shitton of pro players play it, the game’s still going well, and with the esports backing Infinite seems to have, Microsoft seems to be trying out a Fortnite route for cosmetics in order to avoid too much damage to sales over controversies related to the subject. The only thing we can do is make a big enough stink about it online that it becomes mainstream and hope that 343/Microsoft changes.
Damn right we are going to raise hell, they took a core feature out of the game and have tha gual to try to sell half of it back to you as “extra”
Mimu Sucho wrote:
Vote with your wallet
Damn right we are going to raise hell, they took a core feature out of the game and have tha gual to try to sell half of it back to you as “extra”
That's modern gaming for you.
The more we learn about this game, the more it seems they're leaning in to a Destiny style experience. Personally I have played a lot of Destiny 1 and 2, but the thing that finally made me drop the game in the end was the microtransactions and the DLC. If you wanted unique cosmetic items and shaders, you had better get your debit card ready. If you wanted the next little bit of story and a few multiplayer missions, prepare to fork over $30-$40. If this is going to be a "10 year journey" then it's going to involve a lot of content locked behind paywalls. Many of these content packs also include "seasonal" or "exclusive" cosmetics that you can only access by buying the DLC. Players who don't want to spend extra money on a game they already paid $60 for will probably end up missing out on exclusive cosmetics, and multiplayer experiences. Honestly it's a bit shocking that a feature most every Halo player takes for granted is suddenly revealed to be no longer in the game, and we're being told that somehow these glorified shaders encourage more "player expression." Maybe if enough people continue to express outrage, or if no-one buys into this coating system we will see some change. It's not like it would be that difficult either. They've added tons of custom assets to the MCC and it's been a hit, and unless these coatings include every color combination offered in previous games I don't see how it would be a disincentive to buy them. The players who are going to buy cosmetics in this game were already prepared to do so. Most people who have extra cash will find a way to spend it. But for the players who can't afford to pay $3 every time they want to change the color of their spartan, this new system leaves them little options.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. ...
  8. 22