Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Armor Color Customization in big jeopardy!

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 22
I mean was this necessary? Was it honestly too much to ask that they make these like an armor skin or tertiary color pattern you could apply to the parts of the armor that the primary and secondary colors could not color? I mean for lord's sake, I doubt anyone would have had an issue if an armor coating was only something that added colors to the small details of your armor and maybe some textures and patterns but you still had control over the primary and secondary, especially if you have to pay for them. I don't understand this move because they could have easily implemented this alongside the old system, and still been able to profit from it without the backlash. Why 343, why do you make these horrible decisions? Is your marketing team really this out of tune with the community that it can't tell you this would not be a wise move to do? I just don't understand, it feels like for some reason they hate us and they do this stuff on purpose because at this point I can't keep calling it incompetence, because they have to know what they are doing?
They're betting on the hope that players will see their Spartans as League of Legends or Fortnite characters. Avatars with different flavors of skins that you'll frequently change depending on your mood. Except that's not how Halo players view their Spartans. They're our personal flag we fly ingame. Our coat of arms. Most people I've known who've played Halo lock in a cosmetic look for their Spartan early on, and maybe change it twice once they've earned their "endgame" armor.
ObiWan117 wrote:
My question is.... why cant the armor coatings just be textures and designs, and WE CHOOSE THE COLORS FOR THOSE TEXTURES/DESIGNS???....
@343 keep your texture 'armor coating' system if you really want it that bad, make each texture something truly special while your at it....

But if you "want to help player expression" keep our color system... and i know its not that hard to code....
Hopefully... the community feedback will inspire you to bring these changes...

And again, thank you for the halo infinite info drop 343, the communication with fans and 343 will benefit the game not harm it... just, please listen to us..
I really hope, they will change it, but knowing 343 they probably reconfigured the entire color customization system to the point that it would take to much work to seperate the colors from the armor coatings, and that would most definitely be by design so 343 can use the excuse that they simply ''can't'' fix it.
ObiWan117 wrote:
My question is.... why cant the armor coatings just be textures and designs, and WE CHOOSE THE COLORS FOR THOSE TEXTURES/DESIGNS???....
@343 keep your texture 'armor coating' system if you really want it that bad, make each texture something truly special while your at it....

But if you "want to help player expression" keep our color system... and i know its not that hard to code....

And again, thank you for the halo infinite info drop 343, the communication with fans and 343 will benefit the game not harm it... just, please listen to us..
I really hope, they will change it, but knowing 343 they probably reconfigured the entire color customization system to the point that it would take to much work to seperate the colors from the armor coatings, and that would most definitely be by design so 343 can use the excuse that they simply ''can't'' fix it.
Well... they got 5+ months untill spring...
I just find it so strange that they implemented a system that had "seven material layers" yet decided to not let us customize those layers. Not only will we have more stuff to customize, but 343 will have more stuff to monetize. Absolutely no one would have been upset if they let us chose a pattern, colors, materials and textures for our character. In fact, everyone would have LOVED that - even if some of it was locked behind a paywall. Instead they made a decision they KNEW everyone would hate. The update was even worded in a way that attempted to deescalate the situation. It's like they looked at the "make everyone happy and make more money" option and the "create a riot on all social media platforms" and chose the latter.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I mean was this necessary? Was it honestly too much to ask that they make these like an armor skin or tertiary color pattern you could apply to the parts of the armor that the primary and secondary colors could not color? I mean for lord's sake, I doubt anyone would have had an issue if an armor coating was only something that added colors to the small details of your armor and maybe some textures and patterns but you still had control over the primary and secondary, especially if you have to pay for them. I don't understand this move because they could have easily implemented this alongside the old system, and still been able to profit from it without the backlash. Why 343, why do you make these horrible decisions? Is your marketing team really this out of tune with the community that it can't tell you this would not be a wise move to do? I just don't understand, it feels like for some reason they hate us and they do this stuff on purpose because at this point I can't keep calling it incompetence, because they have to know what they are doing?
They're betting on the hope that players will see their Spartans as League of Legends or Fortnite characters. Avatars with different flavors of skins that you'll frequently change depending on your mood. Except that's not how Halo players view their Spartans. They're our personal flag we fly ingame. Our coat of arms. Most people I've known who've played Halo lock in a cosmetic look for their Spartan early on, and maybe change it twice.
That's just the thing, if they did it how I described, they most likely could achieve that goal of getting players to change out their armor coating, if they released interesting textures, patterns, or even effects for the coatings that would entice players to try them out. But by forcing colors onto them, they basically insure the opposite as players will just find the coatings that gives them the closes color combo to their color scheme and stick with that for the rest of their Halo Infinite career.
They're betting on the hope that players will see their Spartans as League of Legends or Fortnite characters. Avatars with different flavors of skins that you'll frequently change depending on your mood. Except that's not how Halo players view their Spartans. They're our personal flag we fly ingame. Our coat of arms. Most people I've known who've played Halo lock in a cosmetic look for their Spartan early on, and maybe change it twice.
Whomever made this decision, they just don't get it. They don't get this. This is the third Halo game in a row that doesn't want to be a Halo game, and is instead just copying whatever's popular. I'm so tired of it...I'm exhausted of loving a franchise that doesn't care.
ObiWan117 wrote:
ObiWan117 wrote:

Well... they got 5+ months untill spring...
If that's the case, then the most they would be doing as bug fixes and polishing at that point, they would not have the time to redo this system. My only hope is that they learned from the MCC and made all the systems in Infinite flexible enough so that they can change them later on down the road. Though even if that does happen,don't expect it to happen anytime soon as they will most definitely milk whatever money they can first out of this before they "Fix" it.
Whomever made this decision, they just don't get it. They don't get this. This is the third Halo game in a row that doesn't want to be a Halo game, and is instead just copying whatever's popular. I'm so tired of it...I'm exhausted of loving a franchise that doesn't care.
Me too man, me too.
Landoc80 wrote:
I always take things from a pro-con POV. So here are the pros and cons.
Let me list the pros:
- Armor Coatings will be designed by actual paid designers, meaning most if not all of the coatings will look freakin awesome.
- Halo Infinite can take advantage of limited time events that reward armor coatings, making various coatings incredibly rare and valuable.
- Armor Coatings could be won in Campaign by accomplishing achievements and finding "Easter eggs".
- The weapon coatings are a significant upgrade from Halo 5's weapon skins. And the vehicle coatings look cool.

Here are the cons:
- The coating format completely takes away the feeling of personalized design from armor customization. Even just with two colors and a visor, I feel like my armor is a lot more personal and unique in previous Halo games. I see no way for coatings to be personalized besides making them limited edition, hard to obtain, and luckily somewhat my style (Which is Brown and Beige Vigilant armor with a gold visor.)
- All signs point to these coatings, at least some of them, to cost actual money. I hope this isn't the case, but until I have confirmation they all will be free, I'm only hopeful.

Lack of personalization is a big blow to this system. I mean HUGE. Customization and personalization were synonymous to me before, but not anymore.
But to be honest, I always find myself looking at my armor and being dissatisfied. I feel like the color choice is very limited. I am intrigued by the new armor coating system and I really want to see it in action, and I still don't believe that 343 is actually going to remove personalization. I'd like to see how they pull this off. And I am 100% still buying the game, because besides Minecraft, Halo is the only game I play.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I love being able to choose my visor colours and armour colours as it lets me infuse my own identity into my Spartan. In halo, I use a primary - dark blue, secondary - red, and tertiary / visor colour - yellow. I love this colour scheme and use it in as many games as possible, I even changed my joy con shells and buttons to match this that's how much I like it. And while I'm not gonna pretend like it's world ending, it really sucks not being able to add this colour scheme onto my Spartan in infinite and takes away some of that uniqueness with my Spartan. Now I'm gonna have to use some premade colour scheme with my armour that is more likely for someone else to have. It honestly sucks.

What they should do, is make armour coatings be just premade patterns for armours, that way we're not backtracking in terms of customisation.

I feel like 343 is fantastic at direct feedback (feedback to a specific, current problem in a halo game) and really does listen, but for some reason is awful at progressive feedback (feedback given over time, not linked to a direct issue). An example of what I call progressive feedback is, us disliking those original premade emblems with premade colours when halo 5 launched and us asking for a more reach style customisation, yet they add premade colours to armours in the form of 'coatings'. I hope they change this but I doubt it.
To be fair, the game is Free to play. I'd rather have monetization coming from cosmetics than advantages in matches like it was the REQ system cards. We still don't know how many armor coatings will be monetized, but sure you can unlock the majority of customization items by playing the game and completing challenges.
The main difference now is that the color of your spartan is now a customization item, just like helmets, armor plates and visors. The advantage is now the colors can affect specific parts of the armor and have different materials, which for me is a fair trade, considering that the color customization were always very limited.
Where is is it I can't find it??
please send the link, Please
Enjoy having a staple of Halo customization since Halo Combat Evolved locked behind a Battle Pass or other paywall.
WerepyreND wrote:
If this is what it takes to have a modern Halo game that doesn't have a population nose-dive after a few months, and for content for Infinite to continue to be developed over the course of the 10 years for which they said it's gonna be the main Halo platform (as well as whole new games that I assume they'll slot in like with MCC), then I'll take it. As much as I liked armor customization in the prior games, I'd also like for players to keep coming back to the game week to week to earn cosmetics stuff, see what new modes/maps/events get released, and for the devs to be able to pay rent.
If a game can't sustain a population without manipulative game design tied to microtransactions it never deserved a population in the first place. Until such time the game industry, particularly the AAA game industry becomes vastly more transparent, they don't get to plead poverty about how they need to "pay rent."

You are not actually looking out developers when you overlook or attempt to justify this kind of thing, you just end up looking out for corporate shareholders.
Looking at the current landscape for multiplayer games and games with solo campaigns but also significant multiplayer components, the most successful of them combine good gameplay with cosmetic things to earn, unlock, or buy. And then the revenue from people buying the cosmetic things is used to fund more substantial gameplay-based content that goes out to all players for free. This is just how things work nowadays; modern game players like progression systems, feeling like they're being rewarded for their time, and dropping some spare cash on tidbits that they think look cool. If enough people truly believed that they were 'manipulative' then games like Fortnite, Rocket League, R6 Siege, and more would be dead now. The Halo fanbase is much more than the dedicated relative handful who use these forums, and the MP going F2P and it also being on Game Pass in general means that more players can be brought into the fold. Giving those players more things to earn, unlock, or buy so they can get convinced to stick around for a long while is a trade-off that I'll gladly take. 343i just needs to make sure that earning things isn't a ludicrous grind, and with the advent of seasonal Battle Pass-style systems, I think that they'd be able to hit that mark if they used that.
Im truly disgusted with 343 because of this. Player customization has been a big part of halo, even the limited halo ce & 2. But by removing the option for color customization you're basically saying that player's expression doesn't matter anymore. After all the work that 343 put into MCC (making it better) by adding old cut Armor, some good quality skins & new forge items (i might be missing a few things) is this the path that they want to go down? I'm thinking about not buying a halo for the first time & I'm saddened by this
SDdawg wrote:
Suprisingly, I have only seen a few youtubers comment on this, but recently we have seen a Canada promotion for Chips Ahoy, Trident gum, Sour patch kids... etc. promise codes for in-game items when Infinite comes out. If you click on this link and go under "participation offer details" you will see that some of the items promised are "Granular Armor Coating" + "Monarch Armor Coating". As you can see in the picture, these are NOT different armors but just a color scheme on the same armor. Another example corroborating this recently is people redeeming the halo toys that come with "in game items" on waypoint. What pops up is "WCT(wicked cool toys) armor coating", confirming it again.
Link for that hereHonestly, if color or color schemes will be paywalled this will be the first time this has been done. I think its absolutely ridiculous if this is the case. I really hope that there isn't an egregious battle pass system where they are nickel and diming us left and right for skins, but its sure looking like it so far.
This is the only way to support long term development of the game without making us pay for DLC. It's just the way things work now. Making a triple A fps game nowadays is immensely more expensive than it used to be 10 years ago, add that to the fact that PC and Xbox Series X games will retain their 60 USD price tag, it just means that they need to find another way to monetize the game in order to keep delivering single player and multiplayer content for the years to come. It's honestly the less troublesome method.
Try being a Cleveland Browns fan for 30+ years :'(
All I can really say is that I’m bummed. Kids with their parents wallets have ruined the gaming industry with micro transactions and it’s now ruining my favorite series. I’m just... bummed. As a teen that grew up hunting armor in halo three then a young adult grinding for credits in Reach, and then hunting for halo 4 unlocks, I really really am going to miss those days. :(
I can’t be the only person who yet again has been let down by 343. I always try defending them and try to give them a chance but this is the deciding factor. Armor coating is awe full. I don’t even want the game anymore knowing that I won’t be able to choose the colors of my Spartan. What’s the point of having customizable armor if everyone is going to be running with the same colors on. Poor decision making. 343 I hope you actually see what your community wants. Armor coating is not what they want. Boy cott halo infinite. I’ve been playing halo since halo CE came out. They killed the franchise for me because they can’t do the simple things
My one problem with this is why can’t they both be in the game?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 22