Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Armor Color Customization in big jeopardy!

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 22
For alot of players, Spartans have been a personal and sometimes sentimental representation of themselves, with the color schemes and emblems carried over with every title holding personal meaning to some. Now, we're more or less just settling on a color scheme/pattern that "looks the best I guess...", hoping that the primary color, secondary color, and pattern scheme is something you can appreciate. It's not personal anymore. The fact that this is something 343 doesn't understand after years of criticism gives me serious doubts on the game as a whole.
^^^^nailed it.
When I first saw the new coating system for armor, my interpretation was that it would be something that changes color zones as well as maybe a decal.

So say the default is just one solid color throughout with one zone being of another color, slap on a Armor Coat and now you have the chest be one color and the left shoulder matches as the primary and the secondary would be the right shoulder and everything else as another color, and that not even taking into account a tertiary color; and every armor coat would be different and allow to have some variations and different and unique combos.

But if armor coats are replacing the armor color that we've had since Halo CE, thats kind of disappointing man, idk what to tell you.
SF Akua wrote:
Who honestly thought this was a good idea? This shows that 343 once again doesn’t know their community. Instead of catering to their large fan base they want to attract players who won’t even play the game long term. It would actually be easier to make a system to let players choose their armor colors than spend so much resources on my armor coatings and having them configure to each set of armor. 343 has shown yet again that they don’t understand halo and chose to prioritize microtransactions and a battle pass system than their fans. Remember Multiplayer is gonna be free to play so what am I spending $60 on? Campaign? Firefight? Forge? Theater if it works? That isn’t worth $60 in my book plus there might be Battle royale in halo?! Stop chasing trends and make a game that your fans want.
the $60 is for a campaign that is supposedly much bigger than previous games which means more work and manpower put into it, only time will tell how big or good the campaign is. there are plenty of solo games that are $60 and are definetly worth it and infinite seems to aspire to be one of them. plus, microtransactions were said not to be carried into infinite, at least not like the reqs, and if 343 were to have a battle pass of any sort it'd most likely be like mcc's which honestly is handled very well.

also it's been confirmed that there are no plans for battle royale in halo long ago and 343 seems to be sticking with that statement so I don't know where you got that idea from. The decision to replace basic coloring with coating is baffling though since, as you stated, must require much more work and they clearly knew many wouldn't accept the new color system.
If you actually buy the game that we've waited SIX years for can we get all thee customization options for free? this doesn't seem fair that after enduring the dumpster fire H5 was we loose a core feature of what was there since day one.
If this is what it takes to have a modern Halo game that doesn't have a population nose-dive after a few months, and for content for Infinite to continue to be developed over the course of the 10 years for which they said it's gonna be the main Halo platform (as well as whole new games that I assume they'll slot in like with MCC), then I'll take it. As much as I liked armor customization in the prior games, I'd also like for players to keep coming back to the game week to week to earn cosmetics stuff, see what new modes/maps/events get released, and for the devs to be able to pay rent.
Yah but that's the problem, the population will nose-dive because of this.

Its like watching an idiot babble on about how you are wrong about him being in danger while a clearly visible asteroid is heading for his exact location. You tell him the get out of the way and listen to you because his life depends on it. And he yells about how you can't tell him what to do. Eventually, you get sick of telling this poor idiot to get out of the way and decide to let this guy earn a Darwin Award while you get out of the blast radius.

Get the picture?
Here's an idea in halo 5 we have free colors but monetized armor i think for halo infinate 343 is doing the opposite monetized colors and earnable armor. I'll accept this since colors only are visible in firefight infection and ffa. I'd rather have armor than colors.
Or, you know, both? Rather than removing an option we have had since Day 1 of Halo CE. Sell gun and vehicle skins. Sell skins for armours to give them a different pattern, or extra lights. Make it so you can apply skins to each part of the armour separately, so you can increase the number of skins in a skin set that you can sell.

You don't take away the option to choose the colour of your armour. That isn't something to compromise on.
I mean i wish we could but considering the trend of cod fifa madden etc constantly rehashing the same game year after year and making millions, halo needs a consistent model for cash and I'd prefer we don't monetize maps, we shouldn't monetize armor, definitely not forge what do 343 monetize so infinate can last 10 years? If colors are the sacrificial lamb for in depth armor customization i think its a good deal.
Its decisions like this that really makes me worried about the likelihood of us getting playable Elites. Because these ''decisions'' only seem like something that could work with the Spartan models. Also if 343 are willing to make these atrocious decisions, it would not surprise me, if they did not include Elites because they couldn't "Monetize'' them. I am just tired of seeing the customization options being stripped away. It's bad enough we will likely have to unlock our favorite color combo, through some battle pass or unlock system, meaning you may be stuck with a color combo you don't like for a while, but it just seems like they really don't care what we want. They can't make any decision without making sure it's the most non-consumer friendly as they can make it.
I don't think we'll get elites back because they haven't shown an interest before but if it's any consolation, the coats can be applied to weapons and vehicles so it looks like the game just recognizes how each coat is suppose to mold to certain things so if they wanted to they could add elites later down the line and the coats would probably still work on them.
For alot of players, Spartans have been a personal and sometimes sentimental representation of themselves, with the color schemes and emblems carried over with every title holding personal meaning to some. Now, we're more or less just settling on a color scheme/pattern that "looks the best I guess...", hoping that the primary color, secondary color, and pattern scheme is something you can appreciate. It's not personal anymore. The fact that this is something 343 doesn't understand after years of criticism gives me serious doubts on the game as a whole.
Agreed. My friends and I have Spartans we created over 10 years ago, created backstories, short stories, drawings, years of fun and memories, etc. But now we're not even sure if it'll be possible to bring that fun over to Infinite. We struggled, and many failed, to get their ideal Spartan in Halo 5 due the awful req tied armor and rng. And now it's just another non-consumer move by 343/Microsoft again.
Its decisions like this that really makes me worried about the likelihood of us getting playable Elites. Because these ''decisions'' only seem like something that could work with the Spartan models. Also if 343 are willing to make these atrocious decisions, it would not surprise me, if they did not include Elites because they couldn't "Monetize'' them. I am just tired of seeing the customization options being stripped away. It's bad enough we will likely have to unlock our favorite color combo, through some battle pass or unlock system, meaning you may be stuck with a color combo you don't like for a while, but it just seems like they really don't care what we want. They can't make any decision without making sure it's the most non-consumer friendly as they can make it.
I don't think we'll get elites back because they haven't shown an interest before but if it's any consolation, the coats can be applied to weapons and vehicles so it looks like the game just recognizes how each coat is suppose to mold to certain things so if they wanted to they could add elites later down the line and the coats would probably still work on them.
Sadly I have to agree. The decade long struggle is not looking good.
Is anyone really that surprised by this? I mean REALLY!?!?!

Now, I'm not happy to hear this, just like everyone else and I didn't think I would need to unlock bloody colours...like holy crap!! come on 343I/MS, that is just low!!! but again...I'm not surprised!!

The majority of us knew Halo Infinite was going to have a crap ton of microtransactions, but with the announcement of multiplayer being free to play, we all knew it would be just LITTERED with microtransactions...and if you didn't think so, then you must not know what's been going on in the video game industry the last x years. The question is, how far will they go with them.... 🤔

What's next, is ranked mode going to be behind a pay wall too??? Maybe firefight?? ... "pay $10 to play ranked 4 vs 4 Slayer for a month...you'll also get this cool nameplate when you do" ...then next month pay a other $10 to play ranked again.....I can almost see it now. If this happens, I'm beyond done with Halo MP and maybe even Halo in general.

Face it people, Halo Infinite will be a game of "you want x armour, go buy this product" or "you can have it for $3..." Sure you will be able to unlock some stuff by just playing, but all the cool, badass looking armour, weapon skins, etc will be behind pay walls. How else are they going to pay for the free to play multiplayer portion...

I think it's time you tell the community the truth behind what your plans for Halo Infinite MP are 343I/Microsoft. All this is going to do is fuel rumors and bad speculation like what I just thought of above.
I think it's pretty obvious that the game is going to be garbage at this point, might as well call it Halo Battlefront 2 ...
I suggest downloading the free version when it comes out, let it run for a while, review bomb it, then never playing it again.
Infinite can go on to earn it's place as one of the most hated cash grabs in M$ history.
Let me say a few things.
This is the Halo Infinite situation so far.
1. The reveal in July was met with mixed (plenty of negative) reception. The game is also supposed to be free to play.
2. Removal of Pistol and Shotgun in favor for new weapons. (Halo 5 rocket launcher anyone?)
3. Removal of Primary and Secondary armor colors. Primary has been a staple since Halo CE and we have had both Primary and Secondary since Halo 2. They are now gone and replaced with preset Coatings.
4. There's been a delay. No specific date yet. (I'm glad they delayed it tbh tho)
5. Craig memes. Need I say more?
People who don't play Halo probably look at this and think...what in the world is this?
6. A content drought. We have been getting info from toys and other outside sources. Even so, we can only speculate.
7. I ask, what is next? Will other things come along and bring more disappointment?
8.I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed. I'm a huge fan of Halo. I bought all the games and have made priceless memories with them. You at 343i have and continue to impress me with how you have improved MCC. The things that could be coming to MCC are a dream come true. I'm not sure what to make of infinite so far from what you've shown us. I see good choices and not so good choices. Again, I'm waiting until I play to pass final judgement. I still have hope, but I'm disappointed. Plenty of folks are disappointed also. I'm trying to be understanding of 343i here also. I don't agree with or understand this decision though, and I can why MTX is nessacary for a F2p game. Just wish they wouldn't have gone this route for colors.

Now, I'm not happy to hear this, just like everyone else and I didn't think I would need to unlock bloody colours...like holy crap!! come on 343I/MS, that is just low!!! but again...I'm not surprised!!

Anyone with half a brain knew Halo Infinite was going to have a crap ton of microtransactions, but with the announcement of multiplayer being free to play, we all knew it would be just LITTERED with microtransactions...and if you didn't think so, then you must not know what's been going on in the video game industry the last x years. The question is, how far will they go with them.... 🤔

What's next, is ranked mode going to be behind a pay wall too??? Maybe firefight?? ... "pay $10 to play ranked 4 vs 4 Slayer for a month...you'll also get this cool nameplate when you do" ...then next month pay a other $10 to play ranked again.....I can almost see it now. If this happens, I'm beyond done with Halo MP and maybe even Halo in general.

Face it people, Halo Infinite will be a game of "you want x armour, go buy this product" or "you can have it for $3..." Sure you will be able to unlock some stuff by just playing, but all the cool, badass looking armour, weapon skins, etc will be behind pay walls. How else are they going to pay for the free to play multiplayer portion...

I think it's time you tell the community the truth behind what your plans for Halo Infinite MP are 343I/Microsoft. All this is going to do is fuel rumors and bad speculation like what I just thought of above.
I really hope that they don't get any ideas about making people pay to play a gametype. I too am wondering how far they'll go with MTX. Also, someone mentioned colors being the sacrificial lamb of sorts for a more in depth armor customisation. It makes sense, but I feel like they could have brought back some hope with full on Reach level of customization. No bullcrap. Straight forward and honest playing to earn. Not money or a ruthless grind either.
To start I'm someone that typically stays out of getting an opinion about a game till release but if this is confirmed to be true then this is a massive step in the wrong direction. With 343 stating they are going for a Reach style customization then say this is very unsettling and even a con for the game in general due to players having no access to visually express themselves with their armor.
You actually managed to kill my excitement, 343. I thought that whatever they did with customization options would be fine if some sets were put up on the store. At least it wouldn't be the lootboxes of Halo 5. But I was wrong. Y'all actually found a way to monetize colors. Nah. Not very Reach-like. I don't think I will be installing this free to play nightmare. I already regret ordering the Master Chief statue. Prove my fears wrong or remove this system. I'm fine staying on MCC and not bothering installing the free to play multiplayer, which is probably the big reason why this system will remain in place and the game will get away with it for the "next ten years." RIP.

As I saw elsewhere on YouTube, "Color me shocked that this happened--ohwait, I can't."
I must say I'm glad the game is going to be available on Game Pass. Because I definitely will not be spending my money on this game with everything we have seen since that less than spectacular reveal back in July, that 343 was apparently proud of... It has been disappointment after disappointment since then... I guess the music sounds good, I suppose that's an up?
I think the saddest part of all this is that it will increase their profits (assuming this will be monetized). You can't convince me that a board of people didn't make this discussion without estimating major profit gain.

Unfortunately for us that means they won't be upset if we didn't buy the game. I think the few that would spend thousands would be more than enough to compensate for anyone's departure.

Also, I'm very aware we don't know if it will be monetized, but I seriously won't hold my breath.
Cobra J24 wrote:

Anyone with half a brain knew Halo Infinite was going to have a crap ton of microtransactions, but with the announcement of multiplayer being free to play, we all knew it would be just LITTERED with microtransactions...and if you didn't think so, then you must not know what's been going on in the video game industry the last x years. The question is, how far will they go with them.... 🤔

I really hope that they don't get any ideas about making people pay to play a gametype. I too am wondering how far they'll go with MTX. Also, someone mentioned colors being the sacrificial lamb of sorts for a more in depth armor customisation. It makes sense, but I feel like they could have brought back some hope with full on Reach level of customization. No bullcrap. Straight forward and honest playing to earn. Not money or a ruthless grind either.
I hope they don't either with game types/playlists but honestly, nothing would shock me at this point. If colors aren't even safe then I think everything's on the table.

I hear what they're saying but putting colours behind pay walls is just wrong...like it's bloody colours here we are talking about!!! LoL 343I can still do piles of customization and charge for TONS of things like skins, stances, armour etc to recoup there money...but charging to unlocks colours...man.... I don't know....Just seems pretty low.

I've been hard on 343I at times, anyone that's a regular on these forms should know that but I have also given them praise and credit when credit is due. I'm pretty involve in the match making forms as well. I feel like I'm pretty involved in this community and in Halo in general but I gotta admit here. Them making colours, or at least certain colors because truth be told, we don't know for sure if it's all of them, behind pay walls is low and I've definitely lost some respect for 343I/MS for this. I understand business, I run one myself but colours... Geeezzz ....again I wish I could say I was shocked by this announcement but I kind of saw it coming unfortunately 😔 and the fact that 343I has already stated that they knew this would upset fans and did it anyways is a little mind blowing too. Just think about that for a second... They have already made a statement about this because they knew this would piss off their fan base and yet they still approve this however many months or years ago.

It's things like that that make me think well what's next... Hence me thinking if we're going to put colors behind a paywall why not playlists and game types??? Why not charge people money to play ranked slayer every season. At the end of the season you get some type of reward and if you're a certain rank you'll get exclusive gear or something. It makes sense, especially from a business point of view. And that's how I'm now exclusively thinking because that's clearly how they are thinking because they've shown it. How can we maximize profits and get every penny out of our fan base.

I hope for their sake they have some amazing things to reveal multiplayer wise that blows our minds because Halo Infinite isn't starting off very well here...
I guess I'm posting this here since my other post was locked because a Monitor took this as a Armor Coating Only post when it talks about other stuff a bit more than that alone. Obviously the person didn't read the whole post.

Well, this new armor coating thing was a really dumb idea in my opinion. When I heard of it I thought it was a coating that just changed the look of the armor and it's design, along with where the colors would show up on the armor. But the fact that it completely changes the looks and colors as a whole. . . is pretty stupid. Someone at 343 needs a good Gibbs slap to the back of the head for coming up with the idea for it to replace primary and secondary armor colors.What it should be is something like Doom has. Where the coatings just change textures on the armor along with where the colors show up. Like one coating have the secondary on the forearms instead of the shoulders. The most recent update talks about letting people make their spartan more of their own, obviously someone was just speaking crap right out of their rear end if they think that. Making your spartan your own, especially on Reach was all about your armor combinations along with the colors you chose to make it yours. And since armor coatings are there for Spartans I can also see 343 keeps ignoring other fans, since from my point of view, kinda confirms no playable elites with that. . . 8 long years of fans who asked for them. Guess your gonna make more fans stay on Reach for another 10 years.I'm open for change in Halo. But changes like that, big changes to gameplay like Halo 5, and removing a feature that has been there since Halo 2. . . Stop. Evolve the game. don't take things away and change stuff entirely.And by evolve, because I know there will be people saying, "they are evolving the game." Halo CE - Halo Reach. Each game adding something new to it:
  • Halo CE - Halo 2: Halo 2 evolved with new armor customization with two colors and another species to play as. Along with making your own emblem. New movements and weapons were added to evolve the game a little more.
  • Halo 2 - Halo 3: Halo 3 evolved with even more armor customization. With 3 armor colors, primary, secondary and detail. Also adding in individual customization to armor for both Spartans and Elites. And with that Forge, Theater and new modes for MM. Also new weapons, vehicles, and equipment.
  • Halo 3 - Halo Reach: Reach evolved the game further. Even more armor customization for Spartans giving full coverage for each shoulder, utility, knees, and other attachments. Elites though. . . got screwed in that regard. And with those came armor abilities, even more weapons and vehicles. Improved forge with more freedom to build what you want and firefight.
  • Halo Reach - Halo 4: Halo 4 stayed similar to some of the older games. Going back to classic shields like Halo 2 and 3. Added sprint as a base ability for your spartan. And keeping Armor customization for your Spartan. While also taking away a customization option, playable elites. Forge had evolved where structures would make shadows and show bullet marks in them when you shot them. Amor abilities stayed but with new ones and some old ones. Added custom loadouts, felt to much like another game. .
  • Halo 4 - Halo 5: Halo 5 changed everything. Classic Halo gameplay flew out the window. Sprint, spartan charge, ground pound and thrusters. The game didn't evolve, it changed entirely. All armor abilities from older games were gone except for one that was added as a basic ability like sprint. Armor customization was terrible, only being able to change the body and the head with 3-4 reskins of the same armor. Playable elites still out of the game. Weapon attachments for guns. Forge, forge evolved entirely with dozens of new features and blocks to make amazing maps. Loadouts were also gone.
Halo evolved with each game almost until Halo 4. If you are going to add onto a game, make new features for the next installment while also keeping old things people love and care about but making them better that's fine. But taking things away entirely?? No. I can see many people sticking to MCC for another 10 years like they did with Reach because of some of the features either being added or taken away from Halo. Not saying they won't play the game. But after a while many of them will start playing MCC only again.
I must say I'm glad the game is going to be available on Game Pass. Because I definitely will not be spending my money on this game with everything we have seen since that less than spectacular reveal back in July, that 343 was apparently proud of... It has been disappointment after disappointment since then... I guess the music sounds good, I suppose that's an up?
I wouldn't even bother playing it free. Why should we play a game not catering to our desires? Granted we're not entitled to anything, but that goes both ways.

But you do you, you have every right to try it out. If you want to play the game free please don't hesitate to post your thoughts when you do.
I have read through almost every comment and the consensus seems clear. This is a bad idea. This is a step in the wrong direction. This is 343i, once again, trying to put their own spin on the halo franchise. They have had three major releases to look back and reflect on. Player feedback has shown what they've done right and what they've done wrong. This is another case of them "fixing" something that isn't broken and completely screwing the fans in the process. And this isn't even the first time since the reveal that this has happened! First it was the shotgun and magnum being taken out, which has been proven not to be fan approved.

When will 343i learn?

I truly don't think they ever will. They are going to keep pushing this on us until we give up. At this point, I think a full on boycott of the game would be the only thing that would get there attention. Now, some may say that is a way overdramatic reaction to the situation...but is it? They've screwed up over and over. It's not like they've screwed up on different things either. It's been the same category of screwups every single time.

343i needs to respond to this asap and make some changes. They need to actually start listening and follow through with changes. No more of this, we hear you, but we aren't going to change it like they did with the weapons. I am disappointed.

If anyone from 343i reads this, here are the takeaways.
  1. Stop making the same mistakes: You've heard the fans for all these years and now more so than ever. You know exactly what we want because we've told you. You don't need to prove yourselves by throwing out the old formula.
  2. Stop following the popular trends: Generally speaking, nobody wants this skin system or inevitable MTX minefield. I'm a proponent of adding a skin system in addition to the original color pallet system. That'd be cool because nothing is being taken away and nobody would need to use the skins if they didn't want to.
  3. Stop "fixing" things that aren't broken: This forum has made a clear case that nothing was wrong with the old system and it was in fact a way for many players to represent themselves and take up a story of their own outside of the chief's. This goes back to removing old weapons that are so iconic and loved by the community. There is no reason to take stuff out of the game and replace them. Adding stuff is welcome, but not at the expense of the long standing formula that made halo great.
I will finish with this, we need to make sure we are heard loud and clear on this issue. Again, it may seem over dramatic, but this seems to have rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way and I think it calls for some major action. I love halo and I really do want to see it succeed. But it's decisions like these that come across as a big "F you, we are doing things out way! Take it or leave it!" Now, while I'm sure this isn't their intent, it comes across as that because we are not being listened to.

P.S. Some may argue that if you don't like the feature then just don't get the game. That'd be easy to say if this wasn't a game series I've been playing for the past 16 years. Especially when it comes to customization, this has been a trademark of halo since day one.

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk. I digress.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 22