Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Art Design - How You'd Like Models to Appear

OP MinusSquire2145

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Halo Wars 2 Art design was amazing
  • Halo 2/Halo Wars 2 Elites
  • Halo: Reach Wraith
  • Halo 5: Guardians Prophets' Bane
My guess is that a lot of the weapon designs will be inspired from Reach, or at least I hope so. In the Fireteam Raven arcade game the magnum and a few other things were clearly Reach inspired. I hope that a lot of the visuals are inspired from Halo Reach and just polished up more.
Additionally they should make the shotgun and the sniper look like the classics.
Let's start by stating that I am a fan of the newer art direction. I like the more sci-fi/ultra-futuristic designs elements. I love the way the S-IV armor
was more streamlined and it fit the idea that they were more mass-produced, when compared to previous generations of Spartans. I do believe that the colors on the armors should have been more muted to A. match the lighting if the environments and maps, and B. give then a more worn, embattled look. The lighting really made the Spartans look plasticky, and they seemed too highlighted during gameplay.

But I like the idea of the Techsuit being the primary portion of the GEN 2 armor, with the actual metall options attaching to the suit. Admittedly, some of the armor permutations were hideous, and the different paint schemes felt kinda cheap. I like the more more streamlined look of some of the armors, like Locke's HUNTER variant, and Vale's COPPERHEAD variant. They were unique and added a visual style that fit the characters. Loved how Locke's armor looked like a stealth-fighter on legs; real sleek and muted-couldve done without the metallic sheen, but the dark grayish-blue was aesthetically pleasing. I loved the intricate details like the small fins on his back and legs- reminiscent of flaps and ailerons on fighter jets, and the prototype kind half-finished looks. The glowing conduits and his icy- blue visor really rounded out the looks.
Vale's armor felt like a sleek, sexy, super car, with integrated armor portions on the abdomen, thighs and legs made her look more agile and graceful. The smooth, rounded edges made her look like feminine, yet dangerous-almost like a Ferrari. Just the small attention to details was a great look at.

The Chief's armor was cool, I like the tanky feel and look. It really brought the idea of a walking agile tank, home for me. The shoulder portions did bother me, but I was able to move past it. I didnt miss the space-diaper one bit, nor the heavily armored/encumbered joints of previous models. To me, the armor looked more flexible, and allowed for more range of motion.
I get why people would be against the redesign of the Chief; hes a character that we've grown up with, and there is an expectation of visual similarity with an established idea that everyone has. I think it wouldve been easier to swallow, so to speak, if the Chief looked more like the GEN 2 Mk VI, rather than the completely new look he was sporting in H4.

I like both versions of the Elites, from H2 and H5. I think some are quick to point out just how large and beefy they look when compared to the Bungie-era game, butbforget just how chunky they were in Reach. I think itd be cool to see both; you have the sleek, agile Elites that are more adept at stealth and covert operations, and the larger more hulking elites for front line combat. I'd like to see the Arbiter return to his former self, like we saw in the H2A cinematics, but keep the bigboys as well.
As far as Forrunner architecture, I DO NOT want to see that stupid H2, ancient Greece garbage look. I like the floaty- metal bits with tron lights. I also like the large, ominous building of H:CE and H3. A blend of both would be a nice touch.
My guess is that a lot of the weapon designs will be inspired from Reach, or at least I hope so. In the Fireteam Raven arcade game the magnum and a few other things were clearly Reach inspired. I hope that a lot of the visuals are inspired from Halo Reach and just polished up more.
Additionally they should make the shotgun and the sniper look like the classics.
I like the MA37 from Reach, was very reminiscent of M4s and other weapons in real life. I like the idea of having older weapons return along with the new ones, giving the game a feeling of the UNSC and her allies a sense of desperation, scrounging for whatever weapons they can find to combat the Created and Promethean forces. I want the weapons to feel grounded, and have a sense of power behind them. I think Halo 5 down a pretty good job at portraying the sense of weight and recoil of each weapons. Although, both the SMG and magnum could use some audio tuning. But the Rockets and shotguns felt powerful and deep.
However, the Promethean weapons function too much like human weapons. There needs to be more differentiation between Forerunner and human weapons. I loved how the Covenant weapons felt and looked different in Reach, the plasma repeater was awesome!! Love the Needle rifle, and the Plamad bolt launcher. But in also love the plasma castor from H5. The covenant weapons, sans the Plasma rifle from H4 and H5 had a unique and alien look that was fresh, but still similar enough to human weapons. Forerunner weapons need that as well. Maybe like a hardlight weapon that bridges the gap between the suppressor and the light rifle. For example, when hip firing, it's more like an SMG with burst fire, but when aiming, the weapon deforms and the barrel length increases(forerunner weapons magic morphing) and it becomes more like a DMR for mid range combat. I like that the bolt shot is a pistol/shotgun, keep it but have that morph-magic make it look more deadly and cool. The binary rifle is fine as is the incineration canon. I like the idea that the Forerunner weapons have dual purpose and function, it plays into the idea that the Forerunners were more tech savvy. As a side note, itd be cool to see the Forerunner weapons all start as a bolt shot and pieces are removed or added to make the bigger weapons, but retain the original idea of multipurpose technology.

These are just my ideas
I vastly preferred the gritty and subdued designs of Reach Armor (But not the sheer CHONK), for the most part. Somewhere in the middle of that and Halo Wars 2, plus Halo 2 Anniversary, is about where I'd love for Infinite to be.

A Mantis that looks like it started hitting the Gym across its entire body would be a dream come true, really.
We have The Matrix, Avatar, all of Titanfall, we also got Power Rangers, robo Sandy, and the Mk44 Hulkbuster. There are probably many other references but I'm not familiar with them. I wonder how the Mantis would look if they evolved it in Infinite.
I vastly preferred the gritty and subdued designs of Reach Armor (But not the sheer CHONK), for the most part. Somewhere in the middle of that and Halo Wars 2, plus Halo 2 Anniversary, is about where I'd love for Infinite to be.

A Mantis that looks like it started hitting the Gym across its entire body would be a dream come true, really.
We have The Matrix,Avatar,all of Titanfall,we also got Power Rangers,robo Sandy,and the Mk44 Hulkbuster. There are probably many other references but I'm not familiar with them. I wonder how the Mantis would look if they evolved it in Infinite.
#PhantomCrashFTW
My guess is that a lot of the weapon designs will be inspired from Reach, or at least I hope so. In the Fireteam Raven arcade game the magnum and a few other things were clearly Reach inspired. I hope that a lot of the visuals are inspired from Halo Reach and just polished up more.
Additionally they should make the shotgun and the sniper look like the classics.
I don't think Fireteam Raven is a good indication of their approach with Infinite. Fireteam Raven followed the Halo: CE Anniversary theme, which used a lot of Reach assets.
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
Legitsky wrote:
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
A mix of old and new would be the most ideal scenario in my opinion. It seems like they are taking that route.
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
A mix of old and new would be the most ideal scenario in my opinion. It seems like they are taking that route.
I would be content with that as well. The power of the new game engine Infinite will be running on will make the game look amazing either way I'm sure.
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
A mix of old and new would be the most ideal scenario in my opinion. It seems like they are taking that route.
I would be content with that as well. The power of the new game engine Infinite will be running on will make the game look amazing either way I'm sure.
I just want classic-looking Elites back. I hate the style they went with for the Elites in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
A mix of old and new would be the most ideal scenario in my opinion. It seems like they are taking that route.
I would be content with that as well. The power of the new game engine Infinite will be running on will make the game look amazing either way I'm sure.
I just want classic-looking Elites back. I hate the style they went with for the Elites in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
Definitely. The new style for the Elites makes them seem brutish and unintelligent as well. They aren't nearly as menacing or elegant as they were on the classic games.
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
I'd prefer an overall classic art theme with some styling queues taken from the modern games. Weapons like the railgun look quite cool to me.
A mix of old and new would be the most ideal scenario in my opinion. It seems like they are taking that route.
I would be content with that as well. The power of the new game engine Infinite will be running on will make the game look amazing either way I'm sure.
I just want classic-looking Elites back. I hate the style they went with for the Elites in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
Definitely. The new style for the Elites makes them seem brutish and unintelligent as well. They aren't nearly as menacing or elegant as they were on the classic games.
Yeah, they lost their flair in the newer games. Even their armor looks atrocious (with the exception of the Zealot armor; that one looks really dope).
As far as Foreunner architecture, I DO NOT want to see that stupid H2, ancient Greece garbage look. I like the floaty- metal bits with tron lights. I also like the large, ominous building of H:CE and H3. A blend of both would be a nice touch.
I like the theory that either Act Man or HiddenXperia (I think) came up with. The architecture we see in the classic trilogy is more refined and simple because it was made during the forerunner-flood war, so they didn't practice such complicated architecture. Installations such as the Halo rings and the ark are examples of this. The forerunner structures we see in Halo 4-5 (Guardians and the shield world Requiem), however, were made at the beginning or prior to the forerunner-flood war, so they were able to take time and design the structures with a more artistic flair.
I’ll have to keep this basic for time and space’s sake, because I could probably write a book, but, in a nutshell, Halo 3-Reach for character, weapon, equipment, and vehicle models, and Halo 5 for environmental art. Maybe toss some Halo CE-Halo 2 into that environmental art.
Conn5000 wrote:
As far as Foreunner architecture, I DO NOT want to see that stupid H2, ancient Greece garbage look. I like the floaty- metal bits with tron lights. I also like the large, ominous building of H:CE and H3. A blend of both would be a nice touch.
I like the theory that either Act Man or HiddenXperia (I think) came up with. The architecture we see in the classic trilogy is more refined and simple because it was made during the forerunner-flood war, so they didn't practice such complicated architecture. Installations such as the Halo rings and the ark are examples of this. The forerunner structures we see in Halo 4-5 (Guardians and the shield world Requiem), however, were made at the beginning or prior to the forerunner-flood war, so they were able to take time and design the structures with a more artistic flair.
I did hear that Ifea from one of them as well. And it does make sense. I loved the large, almost ominous, architecture of the Halo ring in Combat Evolved. And I can suspend some form of disbelief (I know, it's a video game) that each ring was slightly different from the rest, however, the glaring ancient Rome style architecture just doenst make any sense to me. But over all, the two distinct styles of Forerunner buildings are interesting to dissect.
Just give me H3 chief and i'm set.

And H2 BR of course.
I’ll have to keep this basic for time and space’s sake, because I could probably write a book, but, in a nutshell, Halo 3-Reach for character, weapon, equipment, and vehicle models, and Halo 5 for environmental art. Maybe toss some Halo CE-Halo 2 into that environmental art.
Really? The problem I have with Halo 5's environments is that they all look the same. In Halo CE and 2, every environment looked completely different (at least in classic mode).

Church Yo wrote:
Just give me H3 chief and i'm set.

And H2 BR of course.
That's interesting considering we already know what the Chief looks like, and it isn't simply the Halo 3 Chief. What did you think of his armour in the Discover Hope trailer?
I’ll have to keep this basic for time and space’s sake, because I could probably write a book, but, in a nutshell, Halo 3-Reach for character, weapon, equipment, and vehicle models, and Halo 5 for environmental art. Maybe toss some Halo CE-Halo 2 into that environmental art.
Really? The problem I have with Halo 5's environments is that they all look the same. In Halo CE and 2, every environment looked completely different (at least in classic mode).

Church Yo wrote:
Just give me H3 chief and i'm set.

And H2 BR of course.
That's interesting considering we already know what the Chief looks like, and it isn't simply the Halo 3 Chief. What did you think of his armour in the Discover Hope trailer?
Oh I just meant that a lot of the Halo 5 environment art is decent compared to the work on the characters and weapons and vehicles
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3