Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Art Design - How You'd Like Models to Appear

OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Keep the Halo 4/5 Jackals. I like them waaaaaay better than Toothy McFreakyface. (literally any other Jackal model)
And I know they already are using the MA37... but I would change it to the MA5D. Never really was fond of the MA37.
tsassi wrote:
I don't really like to say "take inspiration from this thing" or "make it like this game" because that feels too much like I'm trying to micromanage the game's art direction, which—while it would undoubtedly produce results I find acceptable—wouldn't really leave any room for doing something interesting.

I believe that rather than asking for a specific thing, it's better to try to understand what is the underlying reason you like that thing, and then try to apply that more broadly. Like with the Grunts, it was never that they need to have red eyes, greyish skin, and so on, but that they need to look unthreatening and sort of adorable. The Halo 4 Grunts failed not because they weren't higher poly versions of the Halo 3 Grunts, but because they looked like inherently unpleasant gargoyles that just want to die. The specifics—the eyes, the skin texture, the exposed mouth—are just one way to convey that.

I think this is the right take here.

It's better to say I want the elites to be tall, and graceful as opposed to lumbering brute-like creatures. Rather than saying "give us halo 3 elites".
I doubt that's the point of the OP though. He said "inspired by", so when he pointed out a species from a specific game the characteristics of that iteration are implied and not a hard copy of the given design. So while I agree with Tsassi overall here, I also think he completely missed the implied point of the comment as well.
I basically want Halo 2 anniversary's covenant design. For the Prometheans, I would like to see them become blue again.
The Chief retaining his "classic" look is fine. He's an established character with a visual signature that most people have a certain expectation for. While I did love the H4 and H5 design of Master Chief, reverting him back to some semblance of his original look is...charming. I do prefer the Spartan IV's retaining thier sleek, almost mass-produced aesthetic, so I think that should remain. However, 343 needs to soften the color tones, maybe wash them out abit. And use the same lighting on the character models as the level, that way the players dont stand out as bad as they did in H5.
I think that the Pelican should return to it's original form as well, it had a unique look that was reminiscent of the F117 Nighthawk, which is pretty cool. The newer ones are somewhat bulbous, and definitely have a look similar to some sikorsky vehicles.
I think Elites should have both the sleek agile look, and the bulky British look as well. Have the Arbiter return to his H2A look from the opening cinematic, but have a mix of new and old.
Most of the Covenant vehicles look better, in my opinion, with thier H5 iterations, so keeping them as they are now would be just fine with me. A return of the Plasma Rifle to the forefront of Covenant weapons would be a welcome sight, its was very unique and definitely stood out as 'alien', instead of an 'alien' approach to a human weapon.

I'd like to see the AR revert back to the MA37 look( yes, I know it's in the trailer, but it can be a place holder)it was definitely more interesting to look at, and had a great sense of militaristic feel as well. The Pistol, design-wise is fine, just needs to be more of an actual side arm, rather than a utility weapon. Lower the damage, accuracy and crank rate of fire up.
I like have both versions of the BR, so leave em in. I prefer the M20 SMG(H5 variant) and both rocket launchers- the Pilum and the Spnkr.
But for the love of god, leave the Gen 2 HUNTER armor alone, and keep it in the game for multiplayer!!!
I want slimmer elites. The feel like brutes. They aren’t agile anymore.
I want a better color pallete. I like the colors but it feels more artificial. I think a halo ring could benefit from a higher vibrancy but natural landscapes should be a little more dry. Also military things shouldNt be bright colors. They should be grim.

covenant need a darker vehicle pallet. 343 had great vehicle designs in halo 5 but lacked a dark color pallet that halo 4 had right with the cover vehicles.

I think older vehicle designs should be considered when designing vehicles. The overall shape can be modified slightly but 343 went overkill with that wraith 😂 but ultimately don’t let the old designs copy and paste. Just make sure they’re a little reminiscent of the old like the ghost and banshee were
Halo's first art style, which bungie mostly respected in H2 and 3 still holds perfectly in my eyes. I would love if some of it returned (especially focusing on original CE) but I think 343 has done a fantastic job so far.
So, infinite isn't looking bad by any means, but my vote would go for a mix of the art design we saw on the original trilogy and with H4.
tsassi wrote:
I don't really like to say "take inspiration from this thing" or "make it like this game" because that feels too much like I'm trying to micromanage the game's art direction, which—while it would undoubtedly produce results I find acceptable—wouldn't really leave any room for doing something interesting. Like, I could say that I want the Grunts to be inspired by the Halo 3 Grunts because they're my favorite Grunt iteration. But the thing is, prior to Halo 3, I would've said the same thing about Halo CE Grunts. And if I tell an artist to do a Halo CE style Grunt, they don't end up with a Halo 3 Grunt, but a Halo CE Grunt. So, by saying I want inspiration from a specific game, I kind of lose the possibility of getting something new and endearing.

I believe that rather than asking for a specific thing, it's better to try to understand what is the underlying reason you like that thing, and then try to apply that more broadly. Like with the Grunts, it was never that they need to have red eyes, greyish skin, and so on, but that they need to look unthreatening and sort of adorable. The Halo 4 Grunts failed not because they weren't higher poly versions of the Halo 3 Grunts, but because they looked like inherently unpleasant gargoyles that just want to die. The specifics—the eyes, the skin texture, the exposed mouth—are just one way to convey that.

It would be very easy to tell the artists of Halo Infinite "make it look like Halo 3", and they'd have no problem whipping up a higher fidelity Mark VI. But then we would never had the new Halo Infinite armor, which looks pretty fine.

With that said, I do still generally hold the line that the art direction Halo Infinite should be more classically inspired (meaning looking back at the Bungie era and leaving most of the stuff from the Halo 4 to 5 era behind). The classic games are actually reasonably vaired artistically with each game having its own style, but I'm not complaining because they consistently nail down the same set of principles and manage to convey the same ideas via different design decisions.
Doesn't your description of the Grunts in Halo 4/Halo 5: Guardians show why 343 Industries probably does need to be told to take inspiration from other sources? I don't think I've ever seen someone defend that design, but it's clear that 343 Industries liked it as they kept it for Halo 5: Guardians (and before someone says it, Halo 4 drastically changed practically every species, so consistency isn't a priority for them.)
Doesn't your description of the Grunts in Halo 4/Halo 5: Guardians show why 343 Industries probably does need to be told to take inspiration from other sources?
No, I don't think they need to be told. I think telling what you like and why is more interesting feedback than demanding (or even asking for) something specific. I don't mean that you're not allowed to say "I think the art style should be more classic", or even that the Grunts should be more classic. But I do think the discussion should be geared more towards, e.g., what is it about the classic Grunts that makes them so lovable and what that says about the general tone of Halo's art design rather than this pick your dream team of models from past games. I think the former is a far deeper and more interesting discussion than the latter. Or if you're the type to delude oneself into thinking that you're giving direct feedback to the artists, the former is more generalizeable to the rest of the art direction than the latter, which is just a mix of preferences with no cohesion or any apparent relation.
id like to see the chief slimmed down to appropriate size and his legs and hands fixed. in my opinion the bulky look only worked in halo ce because the textures and the darker
more gritty color pallet.

if youre going to go with halo 2/3s color pallet then chief needs to be sleek like he was in those games.

he looks too cartoonish which was disappointing, after seeing the first trailer were everything looked so raw and perfect.

im really surprised by how many people prefer this to what we got a glimpse of in the original infinite trailer. you can tell if you look the models are different. big let down to me
tsassi wrote:
Doesn't your description of the Grunts in Halo 4/Halo 5: Guardians show why 343 Industries probably does need to be told to take inspiration from other sources?
No, I don't think they need to be told. I think telling what you like and why is more interesting feedback than demanding (or even asking for) something specific. I don't mean that you're not allowed to say "I think the art style should be more classic", or even that the Grunts should be more classic. But I do think the discussion should be geared more towards, e.g., what is it about the classic Grunts that makes them so lovable and what that says about the general tone of Halo's art design rather than this pick your dream team of models from past games. I think the former is a far deeper and more interesting discussion than the latter. Or if you're the type to delude oneself into thinking that you're giving direct feedback to the artists, the former is more generalizeable to the rest of the art direction than the latter, which is just a mix of preferences with no cohesion or any apparent relation.
at this point with halo, I think a lot of us are so angry at what 343 is doing we are telling them what to do and we dont care because it is them who has been ruining the franchise. Id rather see halo die than continue to watch 343 milk this empty shell of a franchise any longer. the fact that the second trailer went back on designs they showed in the first trailer is already a huge red flag. so the only reason people are even trusting 343 with infinite still (art style) they are already going back on. yeah cant see how this is going to end. lol whats that old saying fool me once, fool me twice???
tsassi wrote:
If you read my examples in the original post, you should see that I was explaining the aspects I most liked about the models I mentioned. And as someone else pointed out, I am talking about 'inspiration' rather than straight up imitation. In fact, I think every one of my replies in this thread also include some decent explanation as to what I like and why.
BANGHART wrote:
tsassi wrote:
at this point with halo, I think a lot of us are so angry at what 343 is doing we are telling them what to do and we dont care because it is them who has been ruining the franchise. Id rather see halo die than continue to watch 343 milk this empty shell of a franchise any longer. the fact that the second trailer went back on designs they showed in the first trailer is already a huge red flag. so the only reason people are even trusting 343 with infinite still (art style) they are already going back on. yeah cant see how this is going to end. lol whats that old saying fool me once, fool me twice???
That first trailer was just a demonstration of the new Slipspace engine from a year ago, so it shouldn't be taken as a legitimate reveal trailer.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3