Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Art style kills my hype for this game

OP The Kerminater

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. ...
  8. 8
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
1. It looks good for Halo.

2. These graphics are great. Not everything has to be photo-realistic.

3. It's a new generation of MJOLNIR armor. Remember that Halo Reach had Spartans with blue armor.

4. No. It does not. This looks nothing like a mobile game. Besides, Microsoft with never outsource an official X-Box Halo game to be developed by any studio other than one that they themselves own.
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
1. It looks good for Halo.

2. These graphics are great. Not everything has to be photo-realistic.

3. It's a new generation of MJOLNIR armor. Remember that Halo Reach had Spartans with blue armor.

4. No. It does not. This looks nothing like a mobile game. Besides, Microsoft with never outsource an official X-Box Halo game to be developed by any studio other than one that they themselves own.
4: Halo Wars 2 would like a word
NxtDutch wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
ZnaZanZ wrote:
The first thing I thought after watching the trailer was how amazing the art style is. This fits way more with the OT than with 4 and 5 and I love it so far.
First thing I thought was, why does Master Chief look like he's from Halo Mega Blocks? Then it was why is his armor such a bright green? Why is he in the Mark IV from Halo Forward Unto Dawn? He was a teenager then.

Other than that, I enjoyed the trailer. Outside of John looking cartoony
He's not wearing the Mark IV. Whilst i do see some similarities i believe its hugely based off the Halo 2A anniversary model.

Seriously if you think this is the exact model as the fuf/thepackage mkiv you need to get your eyes checked. Im sorry but it erks me when people try to compare things that are very different.

Might I add thr mkIV from thr package is based off thr MkVI?
What?
I think what he was trying to say is that it's not quite the OG Mark IV. It looks like if the Mark IV and H3's Mark VI had a baby.
And we see in his HUD boot-up that it's a brand new suit (Gen III), modified by Halsey. And she designed some of those old sets ... so there's a canonical explanation for why it looks so old school (much better than "nanobots"). I mean, you mentioned his armor when he was a teenager, who do think had it made for him? So if I was Halsey and had another chance to make armor for my #1 Spartan boi, you know I'd toss some "for old time sake" into it.
But for real, look at his helmet, that's Mark VI all day.
Oh for sure. And I am fine with that. Not so much the bright green, and the large white 117 like his og Mark IV.

However in the 2018 E3 trailer his armor looked much sleeker. I know it was just an engine showcase.... but perhaps we can change his armor? Because this E3 trailer, his armor was much more retro and bulky
I'm personally not a fan of going back to the old styled armor and style of graphics from the Hall 3 days. I was really hoping for a more realistic-looking approach to the models and colors, but instead it's seemingly worse in my eyes as well. It won't stop me from buying or playing it, but I really hope feedback forces some changes on aesthetics because from what I'm reading, a lot of you in the community are displeased with the art style.
I am sorry you feel that way, but myself and many others have been beginning 343 to return to Halos classic artstyle since Halo 4, I don't get why so many are against this? Would you have stopped playing Halo after 3 if Bungie never left Halo and the artstyle never changed? Its just we finally have Master Chief, looking like Master Chief for the first time in 7 years, this is the direction I want 343 to continue down, I don't want them getting cold feet after Infinite and then bring back, Mech Suit Chief.
It's not really about that, but as technology progresses and we push the limits with these consoles with graphic Fidelity, Halo 4 and 5 seemingly did this well as the generations pushed. It wasn't for a lack of ambition, but rather the earlier consoles couldn't display like they can today. I just personally feel like they're taking a step back with the way everything looks. It doesn't look like a Scarlett title. It looks like we're going back to the 360 in my eyes.
I see people on this thread making some SUPER opinionated statements about what armor looks best, and what the colors should be, or whether the new armor looks good at all. I don’t see what the problem is, Chief looks cool. He’s always looked cool, I, personally, feel like people are being really nit-pickey. I love all of chief’s armor throughout the years, this new armor looks like the best of both the classic, and the new armor. I love it, it looks retro, classic, but also new, and fresh.
Naqser wrote:
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
1. It looks good for Halo.

2. These graphics are great. Not everything has to be photo-realistic.

3. It's a new generation of MJOLNIR armor. Remember that Halo Reach had Spartans with blue armor.

4. No. It does not. This looks nothing like a mobile game. Besides, Microsoft with never outsource an official X-Box Halo game to be developed by any studio other than one that they themselves own.
4: Halo Wars 2 would like a word
I stand corrected...regarding the second part of my statement. However, the game still looks nothing like a mobile game. This is clearly a Console/PC title.
I'm personally not a fan of going back to the old styled armor and style of graphics from the Hall 3 days. I was really hoping for a more realistic-looking approach to the models and colors, but instead it's seemingly worse in my eyes as well. It won't stop me from buying or playing it, but I really hope feedback forces some changes on aesthetics because from what I'm reading, a lot of you in the community are displeased with the art style.
I am sorry you feel that way, but myself and many others have been beginning 343 to return to Halos classic artstyle since Halo 4, I don't get why so many are against this? Would you have stopped playing Halo after 3 if Bungie never left Halo and the artstyle never changed? Its just we finally have Master Chief, looking like Master Chief for the first time in 7 years, this is the direction I want 343 to continue down, I don't want them getting cold feet after Infinite and then bring back, Mech Suit Chief.
It's not really about that, but as technology progresses and we push the limits with these consoles with graphic Fidelity, Halo 4 and 5 seemingly did this well as the generations pushed. It wasn't for a lack of ambition, but rather the earlier consoles couldn't display like they can today. I just personally feel like they're taking a step back with the way everything looks. It doesn't look like a Scarlett title. It looks like we're going back to the 360 in my eyes.
First off, the trailer we saw was most definately a unfinished version of that cutscene as well as it is most likely from the Xbox One build of the game, which is not as powerful as Project Scarlett. Secondly Graphics and artstyle are 2 different things, their is no reason, Halo's 4 and 5 could not have kept the original artstyle and upgraded the graphics as well. Hell if they had remained with the original artstyle then Halo's 4 and 5 may not have come out so rushed, as they would already have the assets need, rather than having to rebuild everything from scratch.
Remember we don't know the scale of what the engine can do yet. So rumors are its much more open world. Im guessing the guy in the trailer will fly chief around to different points on Halo. The new engine for all we know could be huge and be able to do the graphics we saw in the trailer in the actual game on a grand scale. If that's the case i think that's rather impressive.

As for art style, i did actually really like the changes made in halo 4 , but by 5 i felt kinda bored of it. There is something quite special about the original art style , everything felt simple yet grand. Looks like that's what there going back too. I feel we should hold judgment until we see some in game run and gun.
Lets not also forget that when halo 3 came out it was very much like halo 2 graphicly, only slightly better, the art style was just the same and because of that halo 3 got called " halo 2.5" I feel if 343i kept the same art style from halo 5 to Infinite we might be calling infinite 5.5 lol.
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
I'm usually not this guy,but if you think you can do better then by all means make a halo game yourself.Outsourced indie or mobile game? Is cinematic the best thing ever when it comes to art style or graphics? Obviously not,but you're acting like the graphics are from the og xbox
343 can do better, as they've proven twice.

This is a deliberate style choice, as they've said. They're trying to go retro and instead they've apparently created something neither retro nor new, just ugly.
343s version of doing better is making chief and spartan armor look more like it's from the power rangers.Is the armor maybe a little too green? Sure but this is a clear overreaction on your part
How did Chief look like a power ranger in 4/5? His armor was incredible looking.

Now, they gave that treatment to most of the multiplayer armors, sure, but Chief and Blue Team looked phenomenal.

This Infinite armor looks like a Halo Wars model zoomed in on.
I don't get your issue, they made him look like the Master Chief again, not a tank that talks.
Master Chief looks like whatever armor he's wearing looks like. He underwent a change from 1-2. Did you complain then?

You guys also drastically exaggerate how different his 4/5 armor looks from his 2/3. They did an impressive job of creating something modern and fresh while still resembling his iconic self AND looking cool on its own. But now we're throwing all that away because the hardcore traditionalists complained and got their way.
But how is it Iconic? Nobody says it is, and majority say it’s a bad Armor Set. If you want a walking tank titanfall rip-off, fine by me, but that’s not everyone. Halo isn’t meant to be modern, because it is a classic game. Also, Halo 1-2 Armor changes actually looked good, because it made him more sleek.

Original players didn’t make this happen, it was a majority of the community.
This community I don't know it does something that just makes you grasp for whatever delusions you all have and make it seem like you're right but you're wrong Halo 5 was great not quite great but not quite bad either to hear this nonsense constantly constantly owe the armor was bad but the gameplay was bad like seriously I've seen many game in era for almost 35 years but community is by far so toxic.
It was also the least-sold main Halo game in the franchise. You need to face the fact that a majority of the fanbase were put off by the new direction and didn't like that 343i was essentially trying to jettison all that came before it. The reactions I've seen across the web (and anecdotal evidence from my friends during the reveal) show positive reception for a return to form.

People wanted Halo back. I love how you guys who defended Halo 4 and 5's changes to EVERYTHING say "the majority of the community doesn't care. 343i can do what they want," but now that they actually, y'know LISTEN TO THEIR FANBASE FINALLY, it's wrong?

Okay man.
Yes least sold but that not how the real world works, financially it yielded microsoft good revenue within its first week.
Because Halo 5 has microtransactions, which none of the older Halos had. And that still doesn't change the fact that it was less popular than all of the Halos before it. That doesn't change the fact that Halo has declined in popularity since the end of the Bungie-era. You gonna move the goalpost, again?
Bungie will no longer make halo games move over your nostalgic blindness, popularity is not a measure of financial success.
Well it kinda is, the Popular the game is the more people would want to buy the game

The Less popular people will most likely avoid it
Anyone who is talking down on the graphic fidelity of even just the Discover Hope trailer? Literally doesn't know what on earth they are talking about.

Not to mention, the armour has the bulk of Legends/FoTD; but overall has a mixture of massively Halo 3 with some small technical details from H4. And the armour looks like metal, no discussion required.
Sad you feel that way. Personally feel like it fits Cheif, reminds me of the classic halo ce armour color. Can't assume that's his official color though 343 will most likely change up somethings that people disliked from the E3 trailer
Sorry to hear you didn't like the art style OP, but many in the community have been complaining about the H4/H5 art style for years... just go to Youtube and enter "343 art style" into your browser and see the dozens upon dozens of videos talking about how bad and un-Halo the new art style is. Then look at the amount of up-votes to see just how many people agree with those videos' assessments.

I obviously am a huge fan of the old art style, and therefore love this new new art style 343 is going with. And it's not like 343 has totally abandoned the new art style of H4/H5. There are many similarities, like how the armor is much bulkier than in the old games. The Pelican appears to be far more detailed and reminiscent of the new art style, but still has many call backs to the old.

All this to say that 343 appears to be trying to balance the wishes of fans of both art styles. It's a compromise, which means you'll get some of what you want and some of what you don't.

As for graphics, we are a year and a half out from this game being released. So there's a lot of time left to make graphical updates. That being said, I actually like the simpler looking graphics. It bodes well for the Forerunner architecture imo. The older games were limited by the graphics of their time, and the Forerunner architecture was simple as a result as far as I can tell. This, interestingly enough, defined Forerunner aesthetics, which were drastically changed in H4/H5. All the extra floaty bits and shiny looks felt off for 100,000 year old buildings.
Anyone who is talking down on the graphic fidelity of even just the Discover Hope trailer? Literally doesn't know what on earth they are talking about.
Really ? If some players have an issue with the graphic fidelity or trailer they don't know what they're talking about ? Care to elaborate ? That comes across as an incredibly selfish and one sided opinion ! I have played every Halo, bought and read every book, watched every video and I disliked what we saw at E3. Care to explain how I literally don't know what I'm talking about ?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
eviltedi wrote:
Anyone who is talking down on the graphic fidelity of even just the Discover Hope trailer? Literally doesn't know what on earth they are talking about.
Really ? If some players have an issue with the graphic fidelity or trailer they don't know what they're talking about ? Care to elaborate ? That comes across as an incredibly selfish and one sided opinion ! I have played every Halo, bought and read every book, watched every video and I disliked what we saw at E3. Care to explain how I literally don't know what I'm talking about ?
Because on an objective level, the fidelity is superb. It, for-goumg opinions on design; looks incredibly. The dust particles, the ray tracing. It looks superb
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
I'm usually not this guy,but if you think you can do better then by all means make a halo game yourself.Outsourced indie or mobile game? Is cinematic the best thing ever when it comes to art style or graphics? Obviously not,but you're acting like the graphics are from the og xbox
343 can do better, as they've proven twice.

This is a deliberate style choice, as they've said. They're trying to go retro and instead they've apparently created something neither retro nor new, just ugly.
Yea well...that's just like...your opinion, man :)
Art style is PERFECT.
The graphics doesnt care if you like the story and gameplay. An example: GTA San Andreas. People still play this game with garbage graphics compared to GTA V, but because its fun, the story is good. About the art desing, this is a comeback for the old style. remember that the Mark IV B is an armor made by bungie, so it is canon, and the new armor takes inspirations in all the Bungie armor designs like the Mark V, Mark VI GEN1, Mark IV B, its the perfect combination. Plus, it is just a trailer, made with a graphic engine that was created only one year, and they are testing it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. ...
  8. 8