1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8
eviltedi wrote:
Anyone who is talking down on the graphic fidelity of even just the Discover Hope trailer? Literally doesn't know what on earth they are talking about.
Really ? If some players have an issue with the graphic fidelity or trailer they don't know what they're talking about ? Care to elaborate ? That comes across as an incredibly selfish and one sided opinion ! I have played every Halo, bought and read every book, watched every video and I disliked what we saw at E3. Care to explain how I literally don't know what I'm talking about ?
Because on an objective level, the fidelity is superb. It, for-goumg opinions on design; looks incredibly. The dust particles, the ray tracing. It looks superb
And that's your opinion not mine. From a technical point of view it's ok, but it's not gameplay and we don't know what that will be like. I was very let down by E3, I hope Halo Infinite will be great, but that trailer does get me hyped, and I'm not sure about the art style. However it's a long way to go until release. I'll wait and see what happens.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Anyone who is talking down on the graphic fidelity of even just the Discover Hope trailer? Literally doesn't know what on earth they are talking about.
Really ? If some players have an issue with the graphic fidelity or trailer they don't know what they're talking about ? Care to elaborate ? That comes across as an incredibly selfish and one sided opinion ! I have played every Halo, bought and read every book, watched every video and I disliked what we saw at E3. Care to explain how I literally don't know what I'm talking about ?
Because on an objective level, the fidelity is superb. It, for-goumg opinions on design; looks incredibly. The dust particles, the ray tracing. It looks superb
And that's your opinion not mine. From a technical point of view it's ok, but it's not gameplay and we don't know what that will be like. I was very let down by E3, I hope Halo Infinite will be great, but that trailer does get me hyped, and I'm not sure about the art style. However it's a long way to go until release. I'll wait and see what happens.
Whilst it's likely polished cause it's E3. It is in engine footage, and from a technical standpoint it looks great for a console game. It's not an opinion, lol
For once I got to disagree with Tedi here: on a purely technical standpoint the game seems to be amazing. Poly-count is high, textures are crisp and filled with details, good usage of bump even in shadowy areas etc. Not a big fan of the texture's REF though, but the game is still in development and 343i doesn't seem they want to bull-yoink us again with unbelievable graphic targets or deceptive marketing.

Spoiler:
Show
if this is really real time ray-tracing kudos! Look at the cartographer scene, the use of light is spectacular! Even though I'm not a fan of out of focus blur fx and it seems to be everywhere, however again: on purely technical point of view it's a damn well done work! HOWEVER, I think they can do better with Chief's armor. Last year he seemed to thin, this year he's a bit too thick (above the hips and especially the crotch area, take it as a complement I guess! XD ). The shade of green is a bit weird too, more towards grey with brighter base white would do wonders imho. Shield emitters are missing too still. I already would take this version 100 times over H4/5 though! The armor is still not on Reach/H2A/H3/HW2 levels design wise quite yet, but still nice. He's back for instances is perfect if you ask me, and when you think about it, it#s what we're going to see for the longest time!

The ring and Pelican's inside is a whole other story though, I just love them so far! Everything feels new and shiny, and yet it feels and breaths like Halo. This is what I wanted for seven years now, I can't complain!
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
No, that's the thing: the graphical fidelity is very high. The textures are very detailed, the geometry is detailed and smooth down to very small scales, light interacts with objects in an accurate way. This cinematic has a significantly higher graphical fidelity than any Halo game we have seen before. That is not a matter of opinion, and I would agree with what The MetaChief initially said, and what you question, that anyone who disagrees does not know what they are talking about.

It's one thing to talk about the art style. Anyone is free to have whatever opinion they want on that. But The MetaChief's statement did not concern the art style, it only concerned the graphical fidelity, and that is not a matter of opinion.
I think you're one of the few people who think this. It's ok that your opinion is different, but this is what the community wants. You also say how can anyone look at me with a straight face and tell me this is good for Halo? Well how can you tell me with a straight face that the design is bad? It's simply taste bud and the community approves it and you're just one of the outliers.
For once I got to disagree with Tedi here: on a purely technical standpoint the game seems to be amazing. Poly-count is high, textures are crisp and filled with details, good usage of bump even in shadowy areas etc. Not a big fan of the texture's REF though, but the game is still in development and 343i doesn't seem they want to bull-yoink us again with unbelievable graphic targets or deceptive marketing.

Spoiler:
Show
if this is really real time ray-tracing kudos! Look at the cartographer scene, the use of light is spectacular! Even though I'm not a fan of out of focus blur fx and it seems to be everywhere, however again: on purely technical point of view it's a damn well done work! HOWEVER, I think they can do better with Chief's armor. Last year he seemed to thin, this year he's a bit too thick (above the hips and especially the crotch area, take it as a complement I guess! XD ). The shade of green is a bit weird too, more towards grey with brighter base white would do wonders imho. Shield emitters are missing too still. I already would take this version 100 times over H4/5 though! The armor is still not on Reach/H2A/H3/HW2 levels design wise quite yet, but still nice. He's back for instances is perfect if you ask me, and when you think about it, it#s what we're going to see for the longest time!

The ring and Pelican's inside is a whole other story though, I just love them so far! Everything feels new and shiny, and yet it feels and breaths like Halo. This is what I wanted for seven years now, I can't complain!
I dunno about Chief's thicc-ness being an issue. As someone who is heavily into fitness, strength is mass and momentum. And, to have a well protected body isn't just to be shredded, their is likely some fat on Chief to help protect his muscles and ligaments from injury, and fat stores energy. So, an optimised Chief would be slightly more thicc than most would expect.

I'm glad that 343 is actually paying attention to what strength actually looks like.

Spoiler:
Show

I stated the trailer was ok from a tchnical point of view. I'm just not sure what I think of the art style. In fact, I have avoided entire game franchises because of certain styles. I'm also very suspicious of some developers, let's be honest, we've been let down many times. I'm hopeful for Halo Infinite, but the E3 trailer did not ignite my hype, sadly. Also, it's not the first time we've had a flawless E3 trailer only to be let down in the real world, I could insert countless E3 game trailer titles at this point. I'll wait for gameplay to see how the game really looks and performs before thinking of boarding the hype train.

Edit. On the technical side, Digital Foundry could find no evidence of any of the obvious forms of ray tracing they see on PC at 11.15 in the video. I recommend watching it all though, it's an interesting watch.
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
Sorry, but I think that you're in the minority in this regard; the vast majority of people seem very happy with the art style change. The classic art style is iconic and has stood the test of time. Just look at Halo 3 (released in 2007) and comapre it to Halo 5 (2015). The former still looks beautiful. To say that Infinite looks like a mobile game is just flat-out ridiculous.

Also, when 343 gave us designs like these, are you really surprised that people didn't like the art direction?
I liked it. Seemed to have just the right amount of armour vs black under suit. The design was cool. The shade of green was sweet. And I even like the 117. But that's just me.
Dude Halo infinite looks eons better than halo 4 and 5
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

You can't just up and say it's objectively bad because you dont like it and "lol he's green ranger".

Most people think he looks great, and they might just make it less bright for the game. If not it's still good! (In my opinion.)

It merges classic with the lore about Spartans being walking tanks. HALO was originally about the power fantasy of being an indestructible death machine (obviously not literally because the game has to be able to be lost). This in my opinion is done perfectly. I think the color isn't bad and the 117 is awesome, too.

I can say it's fact that 343 did a fantastic job. Their job is that the vast majority of people like the art style and the armor. They do. Rarely have I seen any complaints besides "the 117 is kind of odd" and this.
I do wish the armor still looked more lithe and shiny like it did in last years reveal, but the armor is growing on me on re-viewings of the trailer from E3 '19.

It does muddle the resemblance to the pure MkVI of Halo 2 and 3 with "The Package" and FOD influences, neither of which to me are preferable. I do appreciate in a way the bulkier silhouette that more resembles the Halo 4-5 Chief armor (The tankier look certainly wasn't bad, and honestly the only things I really dislike about the MkVI.5 we see in 4-5 are the vagueries of its origin and classification and the fact that its the armor we'll forever associate with the hyper-polarizing era of Halo 4-5).

As far as your contentions that the graphics just look flat out bad, or stylized in a way you dislike? I don't think they can be called bad outright reasonably, so it would be more fair for you to simply lean into the criticism that you personally don't like it instead of calling it objectively bad.
Really? If it looks plasticky, then whatever you're watching it on needs to change'
I just wish his armor was a bit more scratched up and not so clean looking. That’s what I’ve disliked about 343 is that the armors all look so clean and untouched. Give the armor some character!

343 makes the armor look matte as well.
I'm gonna say the second most heared comment about the new armor is: "it's thick", the first comment being: "wow it looks awesome". But still, it looks like Chief got fatter while floating in space.

In my opinion Halo 4 and Halo 5 armors looked nicer than previous armors, they look more modern, the old ones looked more bulky or too boxy. The power rangers and tank similarities make no sense at all because power rangers just use onesies, while Chief wears a lot of armor on top that onesie and it's not tanky because in H4/H5 he's clearly slimmer than H CE, H2 and H3.

About the H Infinite armor instead I'm glad they made Chief thicker than the previous trailer, but it's a bit too much. It's also way more realistic, that a plus for me. If I have to be critical I'd also add that they tryed to implement some part of the armor from every game or movie and that makes just a mix of various art styles without having a true, original art style. That said they kind of managed to merge those part together well enough. Eventhough they took the chest and the shoulder, two of the most prominent pieces, from the uglyest armor Chief ever wore: Forward Unto Down's armor.
I really liked Chief's armor in 4 and 5 - I think those games made it look best. I think colour is a big part of it (for me), and imo the darker green served chief better, and I do mostly agree that this bright green is a bit much.

That said though, beyond probably joking about it once or twice playing coop, this issue has very little effect on how much I will enjoy the game.

I think the HUD looks better than it ever has before, and I'm really glad that it's closer to the Halo 4 HUD than the CE one (from what has been shown).

And ultimately, I guess I can only be happy for the people who got what they wanted (and seem to care about a lot) with the armor, as it seems to make them a lot more confident and happy with the direction of the game than it could ever bother me.

I just hope they can find (reasonably) good resolutions to these sorts of (divisive) issues for the whole game. And I hope that people will be willing to accept that, no matter who they are, Halo Infinite likely won't be absolutely perfect for them, because it really can't be.
eviltedi wrote:
What ray tracing ? I'm curious how you identify it and know it's there. At about 11.15 into the video Digital Foundry say they found no signs of any of the obvious forms they find on PC. I'll agree again that the E3 trailer looks good, but it's an opinion and assumption that things are there or not, unless you can prove otherwise. Technically it's a good trailer, never going to say different, but I question it. I never trust what I see at E3, and I'm unsure about the art style, I'll add that it has not killed my hype, but it has not given me more either. The cinematic is ok, I'll wait for gameplay before getting my hype up.

I'm usually not this guy,but if you think you can do better then by all means make a halo game yourself.Outsourced indie or mobile game? Is cinematic the best thing ever when it comes to art style or graphics? Obviously not,but you're acting like the graphics are from the og xbox
343 can do better, as they've proven twice.

This is a deliberate style choice, as they've said. They're trying to go retro and instead they've apparently created something neither retro nor new, just ugly.
343s version of doing better is making chief and spartan armor look more like it's from the power rangers.Is the armor maybe a little too green? Sure but this is a clear overreaction on your part
How did Chief look like a power ranger in 4/5? His armor was incredible looking.

Now, they gave that treatment to most of the multiplayer armors, sure, but Chief and Blue Team looked phenomenal.

This Infinite armor looks like a Halo Wars model zoomed in on.
I don't get your issue, they made him look like the Master Chief again, not a tank that talks.
Master Chief looks like whatever armor he's wearing looks like. He underwent a change from 1-2. Did you complain then?

You guys also drastically exaggerate how different his 4/5 armor looks from his 2/3. They did an impressive job of creating something modern and fresh while still resembling his iconic self AND looking cool on its own. But now we're throwing all that away because the hardcore traditionalists complained and got their way.
They obviously didn’t do a great job that pleased everyone if people are extremely happy with this new artsyle direction in infinite. And it’s not hardcore traditionalists it’s the vast majority of the community
Absolutely unprooven, I'd argue the opposite is true.
Echo p q wrote:
I found the uncanny problem with the graphics: the base white is slightly to blueish and the gamma is to high.

This is easily fixable.
Here are some fixed example pictures:

Imgur: Halo infinite E3 2019: Proposition for advanced designs

I also morphed the armor to give greater ranges of motion in the shoulder and hip. this fixes the toy soldier problem and makes the design sleeker.
Nice. I agree with the changes you made. I would have made the shoulder a little smaller, just for the sake of mobility as you said, and a smaller waist too. Here's my edit: https://imgur.com/P7tRZH4
Stuchinoko wrote:
It really wasn't. The reason they're going back to the classic armor design is that the vast majority of the fanbase both casual and hardcore do not like the new Spartan designs among many other changes. It put me off when I saw the initial trailer for Halo 4 and I still don't like it. The dark green of the plating and blotches of black where the undersuit blend together makes for this muddy design that sinks into the sea of generic power armor designs that have sprung up over the past decade.

The new suit for Infinite on the other hand is great. Classic CE green, meaty metal, simple clean silhouette, all round good classic design and one that has stood the test of time.
The vast majority of Halo fans is not on this forum nor on YouTube, they're probably playing Halo 5 actually.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8