Art style kills my hype for this game

OP The Kerminater

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

It doesn't look stylistically retro, it looks like straight up bad graphics.

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

This looks like an outsourced indie or mobile game.
I'm usually not this guy,but if you think you can do better then by all means make a halo game yourself.Outsourced indie or mobile game? Is cinematic the best thing ever when it comes to art style or graphics? Obviously not,but you're acting like the graphics are from the og xbox
343 can do better, as they've proven twice.

This is a deliberate style choice, as they've said. They're trying to go retro and instead they've apparently created something neither retro nor new, just ugly.
343s version of doing better is making chief and spartan armor look more like it's from the power rangers.Is the armor maybe a little too green? Sure but this is a clear overreaction on your part
How did Chief look like a power ranger in 4/5? His armor was incredible looking.

Now, they gave that treatment to most of the multiplayer armors, sure, but Chief and Blue Team looked phenomenal.

This Infinite armor looks like a Halo Wars model zoomed in on.
Red teams armor in hw2 is fantastic.Chiefs halo 4 armor was awful compared to halo 2 and 3
Where do i begin H4 art style was horrible especially master chiefs armor including the spartan 4 armor it tries to be serious and cool and ends up looking like a power ranger like perserverance23 wrote, and i dont know if this is right but i presume the OP dislikes the OG art style and tbh thats his own opinion and i cant change that, but i like this new armor they just ned to tone down the green and it would be perfect
It's a good change, his armor in H4/5 was meh.
This is coming from a guy who loves ALL the Halo art styles: good grief.
Veterans mostly prefer the original trilogy's simpler looks, while newer fans often appreciate the detail and complexity that's there in 4 and 5. I personally preferred the grittier, scavenger vibes of Reach that put function over form - but Reach was also my first 360 game and one I played for a couple of years. I'm biased as heck, too.

There was zero chance that 343i would please everyone with their new art direction.
Raz Raptre wrote:
Veterans mostly prefer the original trilogy's simpler looks, while newer fans often appreciate the detail and complexity that's there in 4 and 5. I personally preferred the grittier, scavenger vibes of Reach that put function over form - but Reach was also my first 360 game and one I played for a couple of years. I'm biased as heck, too.

There was zero chance that 343i would please everyone with their new art direction.
Actually, I think they could please everyone by including all the armors in the game.

All the armors exist in the same universe (whether you accept nanobots or not). There were decent approximations of the earlier armors/helmets provided to us in H5 multiplayer. Some were spot on (Mark IV, Mark V delta, Reach), some missed the mark (Mark V alpha, Mark VI). New players like H4/5 style. Old players like H2/3/Reach. Really old players (like me) prefer the original Halo CE armor (not Anniversary!).

I'll be happy if they give me choices in multiplayer and have a decent explanation on why Master Chief adopts a new suit in campaign (no nanobots!!). Better yet, I would be super excited if he had to switch between armors for some plot-driven reason. Go from Mark VII, back to Mark V and vice versa. Give the same treatment with weapons (ie H5 multiplayer) and this will be the best Halo yet.
How can anyone look at that with a straight face and tell me it looks good for Halo?

And that bright lime green armor? What happened to military olive drab? Also why does he look like he's wearing the Halo: Legends Mark 4 armor?

By every objective metric (texture quality, lightning, etc), the Slipspace Engine, which this trailer was produced within, is objectively better than the previous engine used on older Halo titles. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but claiming "straight up bad graphics" is an objectively wrong statement. It's not an opinion. It's wrong.

You may not PREFER the new art style, and that's your right, but that it not the same thing as "bad graphics".

Also, you may be a younger or newer gamer not familiar with the earlier games by Bungie, but this new shade of green is more similar to the armor color from Halo:CE and Halo 2. And returning to the older roots of Halo is explicitly what 343 is trying to do with Infinite.

By every objective metric (texture quality, lightning, etc), the Slipspace Engine, which this trailer was produced within, is objectively better than the previous engine used on older Halo titles. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but claiming "straight up bad graphics" is an objectively wrong statement. It's not an opinion. It's wrong.

You may not PREFER the new art style, and that's your right, but that it not the same thing as "bad graphics".

Also, you may be a younger or newer gamer not familiar with the earlier games by Bungie, but this new shade of green is more similar to the armor color from Halo:CE and Halo 2. And returning to the older roots of Halo is explicitly what 343 is trying to do with Infinite.
Preferring the 4/5 art style over the 2/3 style does not make you a new gamer. I've been playing Halo since 2002 and I prefer the halo 4/5 art style in many regards, including Chief's armor.
Snockooz wrote:

Preferring the 4/5 art style over the 2/3 style does not make you a new gamer. I've been playing Halo since 2002 and I prefer the halo 4/5 art style in many regards, including Chief's armor.
It's not a question of you preferring one art style over another. You're free to prefer any iteration of Master Chief that you wish.

My assumption of the OP being a newer Halo player was a logical explanation as to why he wouldn't understand why the new Chief armor has a different shade of green. 343 has explicitly stated that a lot of Infinite's design is evocative of the earlier Halo titles and the color of Chief's armor is one facet of that goal. It was only with Halo 4 that Chief was depicted with olive drab armor in an attempt to make a "grittier" Halo game. A huge portion of the long-time Halo fanbase didn't like this change and Infinite is a response to that feedback.
Snockooz wrote:

I didn't mind the look of Chief's armor in Halo 4 and 5, but I think the overall art-style of the newer games alternates between being way too visually "busy" (in the case of a lot of the armor designs), and too generically minimalist sci-fi (in the case of a ton of Forerunner architecture).

I think my biggest problem with the Halo 4 armor, is that the story doesn't explain it at all. Frank mentioned some off-the-cuff nonsense about "nanobots" in an interview, and that was it. You can't just redesign a character that drastically with no coherent explanation.

Likewise, I really like the look of his armor in the Halo Infinite trailer, but the game better explain how or why he came to be wearing it after the end of Halo 5. I think the best touch is the materials work on his gloves when he looks at his hands.

I think the armor itself was a little too "clean" looking and bright green, but I also think that's because he spends the majority of the trailer washed out in the light of the massive floodlight pointing at him, which tends to "blow out" texture detail, and make flat colours look brighter than they are. When he's walking towards Cortana (?) at the end, the green looks better. And when he walks up to the pilot, you can start to see the wear and detail on the surface of his armor better.
Seriously? This is a take on the classic art style from the bungie days which a lot of fans wanted back

I don't know how you can compare these graphics to an outsourced indie or mobile game. There are so many fine details and good lighting that come with it, along with a stylistic change from the original Mark VI armor, making it a good modern change from Halo 3's armor as well as Halo 4 and 5's armor. Halo 4 had too many jutting pieces and edges that would make it uncomfortable to the wearer, as well as how Halo 5 looked to clean and plastic like. It seems to me like the arguments that you're making are because you enjoyed the Halo 4-5 art style, but you can't exactly wrap your head around why you don't like the new armor. With this you're making weak contradictions and assumptions as to why you don't like the art style change and nit picking the minor things about his armor like the olive green, which don't hold any weight when it comes to the art style direction 343 is coming up with. Please bring something better to the table besides your weak arguments just to aggravate everybody else on the forum. I accepted Halo 4 and Halo 5's art style change, it's time for you to accept Halo Infinite's: or just don't play the game.
We are halo
Wasn't convinced at first but the more classic style is growing on me. In terms of my like/dislike for the art style of Spartan armor is going to come down to customization. Of all the games Reach was the best which gives me hope for Infinite's art style when it comes to armor. Overall, I hope for gritty, worn, functional, yet detailed feel. Please say away from the sleeker, smooth, and impractical feeling armors of Halo 5.
pugwash1 wrote:
Seriously? This is a take on the classic art style from the bungie days which a lot of fans wanted back
A lot of fans do want the older Halo look back, but there's two fans in this house that don't. My childrens first experience of Halo was Halo 5, that's Halo in their eyes, they don't like the new look. Fact is, the community has been split with all the changes we've seen. I don't know how 343i bridge that gap.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9