OP UrbaneRocket495

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
From the footage we've been shown this is the banished wraith:

Link

Anyone else think this looks like the classic wraith's geometry just with some banished plating awkwardly normal mappped onto it?

Whereas even in halo wars, a game with much lower polly models, the actual plates look like actual geometry. See here and here.

I've generally been impressed with the graphics improvements but this just seems weird.
I would love it to look more like the a halo wars version.

it seems like it fires differently now as well
I thought the Banished Banshee looked a little odd as well, just from the front. It might just be the grey plating. Regardless, I don't think they look bad, and we will most likely become accustomed to it in no time.
still looks pretty good to me
also, what do you mean normal mapped? you got the 3d files or something? :P
That pretty much goes for all the infinite banished vehicles, a design choice was made, and I guess they chose a less "scrappy" look.
That’s because that’s a banished wraith! Looks better that halo 5’s imo!
The hull does look a bit smooth.
xsv wrote:
still looks pretty good to me
also, what do you mean normal mapped? you got the 3d files or something? :P
You don't need to have the 3D files to see when something is normal mapped. Good normal mapping can be hard to notice, but this is just um clear. But yes, I do do 3D modelling.

Like look at the 'wing' things that are normally at the front of the vehicle.There's the red tip (that looks damaged atm) and then there's supposedly 3 layers of grey metal on top of it. If you look at the edges where the red meat the grey, you can tell there's some actual geometry there. But if you look at the 3 grey layers themselves, especially at the edges of the wings, its completely smooth. They aren't layered ontop of eachother, its one texture trying to pull a stunt to make it look like there's 3 layers. Its especially noticeable in the front, where there should be bumps where the 'upper' layers stick out beyond the lower layers, but they don't. Heck there's this weird black line that forms between the top most layer and the middle one thats probably the normal map trying to pretend there's a lip from the top layer, but it falls flat because well..it is flat.
Aslong as it's not h5s Wraith idc
I think they look fine, but I do hope there's normal covenant variants.
Never played Halo wars so didn't know that's how a Banished Wraith looks like, neat. The front design looks like the buckets of excavators heh.
I agree, I feel like it could use a bit more shapes and details to it.
xsv wrote:
You don't need to have the 3D files to see when something is normal mapped. Good normal mapping can be hard to notice, but this is just um clear. But yes, I do do 3D modelling.

Like look at the 'wing' things that are normally at the front of the vehicle.There's the red tip (that looks damaged atm) and then there's supposedly 3 layers of grey metal on top of it. If you look at the edges where the red meat the grey, you can tell there's some actual geometry there. But if you look at the 3 grey layers themselves, especially at the edges of the wings, its completely smooth. They aren't layered ontop of eachother, its one texture trying to pull a stunt to make it look like there's 3 layers. Its especially noticeable in the front, where there should be bumps where the 'upper' layers stick out beyond the lower layers, but they don't. Heck there's this weird black line that forms between the top most layer and the middle one thats probably the normal map trying to pretend there's a lip from the top layer, but it falls flat because well..it is flat.
i went on to make a silly joke and you went full "i do 3d" mode. The majority here wont have the slightest idea what a normal map is. But if you want a reply to that, then dont be surprised since infinite isnt really a next gen title, and the artists will cut anywhere they can for optimization, even if the textures look good or not, and it looks just fine from a 3d model perspective. And personally i dont think its one texture, it might look like that due to the simplicity of the graphics
Looks fine to me. Anything over halo 5's wraith.
I thought the Banished Banshee looked a little odd as well, just from the front. It might just be the grey plating. Regardless, I don't think they look bad, and we will most likely become accustomed to it in no time.
Actually the banshee looks pretty fine if you ask me.

Not too scrappy but not too smooth. Shapes that'd never appear on a traditional covenant vehicle but still recognizably a banshee. Lots of little bumps and details seem to actually be modeled.

The ghost looks like someone just painted one red, which is a bit disappointing but it looks properly modeled though.

The banished chopper looks beautiful.

While the wratih looks like its the traditional covenant model just with some coloration and normal maps.
The colours should be swapped

LinkAnyone else think this looks like the classic wraith's geometry just with some banished plating awkwardly normal mappped onto it?

Whereas even in halo wars, a game with much lower polly models, the actual plates look like actual geometry. See here and here.

I've generally been impressed with the graphics improvements but this just seems weird.
To be fair that’s kind of what it is... he Banished take existing vehicles give them a fresh paint and slight damage upgrades before welding things to it.

LinkAnyone else think this looks like the classic wraith's geometry just with some banished plating awkwardly normal mappped onto it?

It looks just like it should - a Covenant vehicle that the Banished have customised with armour and some paint.
just saying, you cant have halo wars version of the banished wraith in an fps. The additional geometry that sticks off the wraith (spikes and such) actually can create gameplay issues given how collision will work. It can create a frustration driving experience for the player. As such, they went the route of the banished taking a covenant vehicle, painting it red and bolting metal plating on the front sections to reinforce it. A smart decision to still give the brutish aesthetic without risking gameplay affects.
Looks fine imo. I like the armor playing and spike additions.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3