Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Battle Pass Clarification

OP LITTLEFATMONKEY

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Looking at the few details we have on the battle passes, I find myself really curious about the differences between the free and paid battle passes. Can anyone confirm if every single cosmetic that comes out in the battle passes will be unlockable through gameplay? Or will you have to purchase the battlepasses in order to get the new cosmetics? I assumed that spending money would just unlock the next levels for you without doing any work, but I realize now that you may need to pay just to get those cosmetics in the first place?

Also, is there any confirmation of what the schedule is like for the seasons, and the name/basic details of the first few seasons? Will there be more base armors unlcoked when the game comes out, or will it just come out with season 1 (the noble team one.) Will the Season 0 unlocks people earned in the beta be counted once we get the full game?
Most information doesn't list a price, but it's pretty much confirmed season passes/battle passes are bought with real money. In the Flight, you could buy the pass for 250 credits, and I have no idea what real-world price that translates to. You can only unlock things through gameplay. There is no pay-to-progress, it seems, like MCC. Also like MCC, the passes don't expire and you can pick which one to progress.
rok9560 wrote:
Most information doesn't list a price, but it's pretty much confirmed season passes/battle passes are bought with real money. In the Flight, you could buy the pass for 250 credits, and I have no idea what real-world price that translates to. You can only unlock things through gameplay. There is no pay-to-progress, it seems, like MCC. Also like MCC, the passes don't expire and you can pick which one to progress.
I'm confused, so when the game comes out, what customization will be available to people who don't then purchase the battle passes? I'm curious if there will be some base armor pieces available from the base game, because otherwise it looks really really weak. Personally I won't ever pay for the seasons and cosmetics, so I'm hoping that the free track would actually still yield some good options.

Based on the recent leaks of the season 1 battle pass, the only free parts of it are 2 chest plates, a wrist piece, and a visor? It would be laughable if the game tries to launch with so few free cosmetics. I have been hopeful that the game will go in a direction where our MP spartan can represent us in campaign some day, since I love making a custom spartan but don't care much for MP, but it will really suck if I would have to purchase cosmetics to get a cool looking spartan. Damn, this new paradigm for gaming really sucks. With Halo Reach I paid $60 and got a full campaign and MP, all working at launch, and a whole variety of cosmetic content that I could use in MP or campaign, and enough progression that I still never unlocked the highest ranks. Sad to see what a poor offering this game may be at launch.
will there be challenges that give you credits to buy the battle pass?
rok9560 wrote:
I'm confused, so when the game comes out, what customization will be available to people who don't then purchase the battle passes? I'm curious if there will be some base armor pieces available from the base game, because otherwise it looks really really weak. Personally I won't ever pay for the seasons and cosmetics, so I'm hoping that the free track would actually still yield some good options.

Based on the recent leaks of the season 1 battle pass, the only free parts of it are 2 chest plates, a wrist piece, and a visor? It would be laughable if the game tries to launch with so few free cosmetics. I have been hopeful that the game will go in a direction where our MP spartan can represent us in campaign some day, since I love making a custom spartan but don't care much for MP, but it will really suck if I would have to purchase cosmetics to get a cool looking spartan. Damn, this new paradigm for gaming really sucks. With Halo Reach I paid $60 and got a full campaign and MP, all working at launch, and a whole variety of cosmetic content that I could use in MP or campaign, and enough progression that I still never unlocked the highest ranks. Sad to see what a poor offering this game may be at launch.
I don't think there's any information on the free customization that it launches with, which is VERY worrying. But I would be surprised if it launches without any free base armor pieces or coatings.

and yeah, the new system sucks :( as a very visual person myself, I always liked customizing my character in any game I play and it's getting harder and harder to do for free, or for the base price of the game. $60 doesn't get you a game anymore, it gets you a 5-hour campaign with a poorly constructed multiplayer optimized around a paid season pass. BUT. I'd much rather have a battle pass than lootboxes or Req packs... which isn't much of a compromise now that I think about it.
rok9560 wrote:
rok9560 wrote:

I don't think there's any information on the free customization that it launches with, which is VERY worrying. But I would be surprised if it launches without any free base armor pieces or coatings.

and yeah, the new system sucks :( as a very visual person myself, I always liked customizing my character in any game I play and it's getting harder and harder to do for free, or for the base price of the game. $60 doesn't get you a game anymore, it gets you a 5-hour campaign with a poorly constructed multiplayer optimized around a paid season pass. BUT. I'd much rather have a battle pass than lootboxes or Req packs... which isn't much of a compromise now that I think about it.
isnt the battle pass gonna be like the mcc one were you can complete or buy the battle pass whenever you want to?
rok9560 wrote:
rok9560 wrote:

isnt the battle pass gonna be like the mcc one were you can complete or buy the battle pass whenever you want to?
Supposedly yes, you can complete or purchase the battle pass any time, even long after it releases (with the exception of certain timed events, like the weird fractures armors, which will only be available briefly during the pass and then are gone forever.)

The thing that they aren't talking a lot about, but seem to intend, is that most cosmetic content will come from the battle pass, and only a very small portion of each battle pass will be available for free.

It's ridiculous when you compare the "value" of a game like Halo Reach to infinite. For $60 you got the campaign (with co-op and forge at launch,) and multiplayer with a full suite of customization options that will keep you earning rewards for months and months. Now instead for $60 you only get the campaign, and you'll have to pay every 3 months if you want to have any sort of real progression in multiplayer. Then give it a year and the next campaign might feature your multiplayer Spartan, which will just be another attempt to get you to go back and buy the cosmetics you want so that you can put them on your new spartan in the campaign. The more I learn about it, the more I really dislike the 10 year plan for Halo. I would much rather pay full price for a game every 2-3 years and get something that actually feels complete than get a free to play MP that requires me to spend a bit of money every 3 months to get any interesting cosmetics.
the battle pass will have 2 versions, free and pay, on the free you only will have a few elements for unlock, for example on the flight nearly 1 of each 4 elements got a "free" ticket, so yes infinite will have free personalization. Also the special events will be free and totally separated of battle pass, so for example in season 1 everyone will be able of unlock the "hayabusa".
Likewise i've seen some people saying the first battle pass "heroes of reach" will be free for everyone but i'm not sure about this one.
kevwoop wrote:
the battle pass will have 2 versions, free and pay, on the free you only will have a few elements for unlock, for example on the flight nearly 1 of each 4 elements got a "free" ticket, so yes infinite will have free personalization. Also the special events will be free and totally separated of battle pass, so for example in season 1 everyone will be able of unlock the "hayabusa".
Likewise i've seen some people saying the first battle pass "heroes of reach" will be free for everyone but i'm not sure about this one.
That would at least make sense. It would be laughable if the Multiplayer came out and you had to pay just to get the basic armors that have been marketed, and that they have ripped off of bungie's designs vertbatim. It would be a little ridiculous for them to charge us for armor they didn't even design....
rok9560 wrote:
There is actually pay to progress, you can use credits to advance you BP ranking as well by one level for 200ć. I did this during the first flight to max out once challenges ran out.
I think people's expectations for how much content they should get in a free game is a little unreasonable. Obviously everyone would love it if you could play everything Halo Infinite has to offer without paying a dime, but that's not realistic.

It's too early to say whether the campaign will justify full price, but considering the expanded scale I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that it won't. I've played plenty of 10-15 hour single player only games that have satisfied me enough to justify paying $60, provided Halo Infinite can do that I'll be happy. If you're planning on buying the campaign, we know that there will be some customisation items associated with that, so for the same 'value' you payed for reach you'll still get some options. Forge will be added later at no extra cost, and seems to be a much richer and more advanced tool than it was back in Reach times.

If you consider the base game with reach, and three map packs in total across the games life you would pay around $95 for the total package. If you purchase the Halo Infinite campaign, and two-three battle passes you're spending the same amount of money for likely a larger campaign and at least as many, likely more customisation options than reach, and a more in depth forge tool and whatever further updates the game gets. You'll also have access to the free fracture event armours. All of that doesn't take into account inflation, that $95 you paid for reach content today is worth more like $110-$115. Even better, a new player can just jump in and play in the entire MP suite of Halo Infinite completely for free, and they can even unlock some cool armour along the way through the fracture events.

I get not liking the new model, some people would prefer to just pay a lump sum and get access to a chunk of content and be done with it. But I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that 343's approach to the Battle Pass system is somehow greedy, or lacking value.
The seasons are quarterly and the first one is free.

Multiplayer Reveal:
Quote:
EXPRESS YOURSELF
A key component of the new Halo Infinite multiplayer experience is your personal Spartan that's meant to grow and evolve month after month, season after season. Players will have more options than ever before to customize your Spartan and make it uniquely yours. Each season will feature a new assortment of customization pieces and components that can be earned via gameplay, challenges, events, and purchase. We've said this before, but it bears saying again - there will be no loot boxes or elements of chance if you decide to purchase an optional customization item. And, of course, all of Halo Infinite's Spartan customization elements are purely cosmetic and have no impact on gameplay.
Tech Preview Overview:
Quote:
BATTLE PASS AND MENU UI
In the upcoming tech preview, we’re going to be granting Halo Insiders a set amount of in-game credits (cR) so that they can dig in with a very trimmed-down version of our first Battle Pass. (Worry not, we’re saving plenty of content for launch.) As a reminder, none of the items unlocked over the course of tech previews will carry over to the game’s release later this year. Everything should be considered work-in-progress and not indicative of the final shipping systems including the cost of customization pieces in the store, the order in which they’re unlocked in the Pass, the XP granted by challenges, and more.
GLNK1 wrote:
I think people's expectations for how much content they should get in a free game is a little unreasonable. Obviously everyone would love it if you could play everything Halo Infinite has to offer without paying a dime, but that's not realistic.

It's too early to say whether the campaign will justify full price, but considering the expanded scale I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that it won't. I've played plenty of 10-15 hour single player only games that have satisfied me enough to justify paying $60, provided Halo Infinite can do that I'll be happy. If you're planning on buying the campaign, we know that there will be some customisation items associated with that, so for the same 'value' you payed for reach you'll still get some options. Forge will be added later at no extra cost, and seems to be a much richer and more advanced tool than it was back in Reach times.

If you consider the base game with reach, and three map packs in total across the games life you would pay around $95 for the total package. If you purchase the Halo Infinite campaign, and two-three battle passes you're spending the same amount of money for likely a larger campaign and at least as many, likely more customisation options than reach, and a more in depth forge tool and whatever further updates the game gets. You'll also have access to the free fracture event armours. All of that doesn't take into account inflation, that $95 you paid for reach content today is worth more like $110-$115. Even better, a new player can just jump in and play in the entire MP suite of Halo Infinite completely for free, and they can even unlock some cool armour along the way through the fracture events.

I get not liking the new model, some people would prefer to just pay a lump sum and get access to a chunk of content and be done with it. But I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that 343's approach to the Battle Pass system is somehow greedy, or lacking value.
I think it's naive to say that *any* approach to a battle pass system isn't inherently greedy.

I'm not sure how anyone is not seeing this as what it is: a huge cash grab.

Think about it. Halo fans will all buy the campaign, and fork up the $60, even though it's only technically getting them the campaign and not MP. A whole new slew of players might join and fiddle with the multiplayer, but if what we're seeing about the battle pass contents is correct, then most players won't be interested in multiplayer without buying the battle pass. From those new players, microsoft will get battle pass money, then particularly if some cosmetics are tied only to the campaign, they'll get people to buy the campaign just for the cosmetics.

Once they've established this paradigm where the campaign alone is worth $60, they'll offer another campaign of similar length next holiday, for another $60. Then they can milk halo nerds like me for $60 every year for the next decade without having to develop a new engine/relying on the assets they create now, and they'll also be able to pull in $5, 10, 15 or whatever it is for the battlepass every 3 months.

They make a lot more money, but what does a dedicated Halo fan get? They still have to pay $60 for a campaign just like before, only now it doesn't actually come right off the bat with co-op or forge, and I won't be surprised if someone unwilling to buy battle passes (like myself,) will have less customization options than were available in reach.
I think we should look at the bigger picture here. 343 lied and customization is essentially paywalled in the BP. I suppose I don't really care but I don't want to have to care about progression like I don't in MCC. With Infinite I'll have to if I want to personalize my SPARTAN. Whatever I guess it was about time I stopped paying for Game Pass anyways playing online multiplayer without teammates on mic is boring anyways.
I'm not really sure, because typically battle passes (such as Destiny 2's for example) have it set so that you only get reward 1 from each tier as it is free. You need to buy that battle passes pass/premium to unlock reward 2 from each tier. So if it operates the same way, then yes, you will have to pay to unlock reward 2 in each tier. I however do not possess the information you seek, I haven't heard about how it's going to go about things. All I can do is speculate until the game drops.
GLNK1 wrote:
I think it's naive to say that *any* approach to a battle pass system isn't inherently greedy.

I'm not sure how anyone is not seeing this as what it is: a huge cash grab.

Think about it. Halo fans will all buy the campaign, and fork up the $60, even though it's only technically getting them the campaign and not MP. A whole new slew of players might join and fiddle with the multiplayer, but if what we're seeing about the battle pass contents is correct, then most players won't be interested in multiplayer without buying the battle pass. From those new players, microsoft will get battle pass money, then particularly if some cosmetics are tied only to the campaign, they'll get people to buy the campaign just for the cosmetics.

Once they've established this paradigm where the campaign alone is worth $60, they'll offer another campaign of similar length next holiday, for another $60. Then they can milk halo nerds like me for $60 every year for the next decade without having to develop a new engine/relying on the assets they create now, and they'll also be able to pull in $5, 10, 15 or whatever it is for the battlepass every 3 months.

They make a lot more money, but what does a dedicated Halo fan get? They still have to pay $60 for a campaign just like before, only now it doesn't actually come right off the bat with co-op or forge, and I won't be surprised if someone unwilling to buy battle passes (like myself,) will have less customization options than were available in reach.
If you believe that a battle pass that doesn't dissappear is inherently greedy then is any form of monetisation not greedy? It would be nice if things didn't cost, but as it stands the MP is free, the maps will be free, new weapons will be free and new game modes will be free. If you were prepared to buy 3 map packs for Halo reach, you can now buy 3 battle passes instead. If not, given the choice I'd rather be locked out of customisation, rather than locked out of gameplay playlists and new maps like people who weren't willing to buy map packs were. And while limited, through fracture events and the occasional item in the free track battle pass, full F2P players will still be able to access the entire game, and some cool customisation. Once you've bought a couple of battle passes, and potentially unlocked some of the armour through campaign and/or fracture events I think it's safe to say you'll have at least as many options as Reach.

As for Campaign, since 343 are splitting it into its own product I'm judging it as such. Its impossible to know at the moment if it justifies that price, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that it won't. The Halo Reach campaign for example, in my opinion would be too short and limited to justify a release as a standalone product. But we don't know yet whether the Halo Infinite campaign will be. We've been told its world is bigger and more expansive, and provided the quality is good I can see it justifying the price. I'm prepared to pay $12 for a 90 minute movie, or $21 for two hours at my local climbing gym, why not $60 for 12 hours of *quality* content? But yes, the quality has to be there, and we don't yet know it is. But we also don't know that it isn't.

As for future DLC campaign releases, your making assumptions here that are impossible to argue against. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. If whatever future content they release is enjoyable enough to provide me with equal value to what they charge ultimately that's all that matters to me.
Looking at the few details we have on the battle passes, I find myself really curious about the differences between the free and paid battle passes. Can anyone confirm if every single cosmetic that comes out in the battle passes will be unlockable through gameplay? Or will you have to purchase the battlepasses in order to get the new cosmetics? I assumed that spending money would just unlock the next levels for you without doing any work, but I realize now that you may need to pay just to get those cosmetics in the first place?

Also, is there any confirmation of what the schedule is like for the seasons, and the name/basic details of the first few seasons? Will there be more base armors unlcoked when the game comes out, or will it just come out with season 1 (the noble team one.) Will the Season 0 unlocks people earned in the beta be counted once we get the full game?
They announced that all of the "paid portion" of the battle pass will be the "free portion" of the following pass, that way everyone can unlock everything, even without buying the pass.

There's your short, factual answer.
I think we should look at the bigger picture here. 343 lied and customization is essentially paywalled in the BP. I suppose I don't really care but I don't want to have to care about progression like I don't in MCC. With Infinite I'll have to if I want to personalize my SPARTAN. Whatever I guess it was about time I stopped paying for Game Pass anyways playing online multiplayer without teammates on mic is boring anyways.
Stop trying to be the morality police lmao

No one cares if "343 lied". The multiplayer is free. If you cannot afford to spend 15$ on a 120-tier battle pass, then just don't spend it. This will not affect your in-game performance at all.

Also, all of the "paid" parts of the battle pass will be given as the "free" parts of the following battle pass.

Spend less time worrying about "lies" and more time looking at the "bigger picture" as you like to say. I can tell by the name "HeilSatin420" that you utilize critical thinking, so perhaps this would be a good occasion to implement some of it.

As for the last sentence: "Whatever I guess it was about time I stopped paying for Game Pass anyways playing online multiplayer without teammates on mic is boring anyways." ...Cya

They announced that all of the "paid portion" of the battle pass will be the "free portion" of the following pass, that way everyone can unlock everything, even without buying the pass.

There's your short, factual answer.
Thanks for the response! Do you happen to remember where they said that? It would be great news. Would suck for all the customization to be hidden behind a paywall.
Cosmetics are not apart of gameplay and they're fair grounds to be paywalled as long as they don't contribute to some P2W mechanic (hence why we have outlines, besides the fact we're space marines)

Getting sucked into customization is on the user, but yeah they did advertise customization so I understand the concern.

That said, issues have been raised about various things and 343 has taken notice.

I also want to point out articles are doing clickbait stuff like "Half of Halo's Battlepass has no rewards!!"
Yeah, the free side and that's par for the course/better than a lot of mainstream BPs out there. Not to mention every studio has a different way of balancing it out.
I'm not a fan of Apex's trickle of stuff on the free side, but my friends who buy the battle pass it effectively pays for itself if you play it a little bit almost every day.

I'm curious how this will play out, I mean F2P Halo MP is already a very sign of the times type thing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2