Skip to main content
The concept of the battle pass is great and all,however the one catch that nobody seems to notice is micro-transactions.

Let’s say the game releases and you wanna buy the battle pass, you go to the game and find out that you have to pay $/£/€ 5.99 (depends on the currency you use).

And what about if you don’t buy the battle pass?
Most games with battle passes have a ‘free’ unlock system where free-to-play players (like myself) are rewarded with dimmed down cosmetics. Will Halo Infinite have this?

Another thing is most battle passes are bought with in game currency:

-Fortnite:Vbucks
-Roblox:Robux
-MCC:REQ cubes
-Minecraft:Minecoins

So do we buy the game with our in game currency and have some of this in the ‘free battle pass’ so us guys can save up to buy a pass or is it just MICRO--Damned--TRANSACTIONS?!
Meaning this new in-game currency can be bought with real £€$
Halo Infinite will have free items to unlock, Yoroi Armour is such an item in season one. 343i have stated there is no in game currency. The Battle Passes are permanent though. You can buy them anytime you like and earn the content in them.
There are no details on this sort of stuff for the Battle Pass system yet. Multilayer only just got revealed, we’ll probably get more specifics in the next month or so if I had to guess.

I will say comparing MCC’s Season Points currency to something like VBucks is a bit unfair considering MCC doesn’t have a paid currency, you earn it in game instead
VBucks, CoD Points etc are all paid currencies.

I look at it like this. Most games, like you mentioned, have a paid & free battle pass. I think that Halo Infinite will probably follow suit with this format - it’s the most logical. Keep players on board with steady progression in a season pass but also incentivise players to upgrade to the paid path if they have the money for it.

Also Halo Infinite won’t have any paid loot boxes. If you’re buying something with real world money you know exactly what you’re getting.
The business side of Halo Infinite from what we know so far is actually very consumer friendly.

A friendly tip from me if you’re worried about money for Season Passes. I would really recommend looking into Microsoft Rewards. You’re able to earn £5/$5 gift cards very easily. I can usually get a £10 gift card per month without too much work. That would cover the cost or part of the cost for a Season Pass. Essentially getting it for free or much cheaper.
TheDonCJG wrote:
There are no details on this sort of stuff for the Battle Pass system yet. Multilayer only just got revealed, we’ll probably get more specifics in the next month or so if I had to guess.

I will say comparing MCC’s Season Points currency to something like VBucks is a bit unfair considering MCC doesn’t have a paid currency, you earn it in game instead

I look at it like this. Most games, like you mentioned, have a paid & free battle pass. I think that Halo Infinite will probably follow suit with this format - it’s the most logical. Keep players on board with steady progression in a season pass but also incentivise players to upgrade to the paid path if they have the money for it.

Also Halo Infinite won’t have any paid loot boxes. If you’re buying something with real world money you know exactly what you’re getting.
The business side of Halo Infinite from what we know so far is actually very consumer friendly.

A friendly tip from me if you’re worried about money for Season Passes. I would really look into Microsoft Rewards. You’re able to earn £5/$5 gift cards very easily. That would cover the cost or part of the cost for a Season Pass. Essentially getting it for free or much cheaper.
The Microsoft Reward Points is a good idea. I didn't realise it's potential until I noticed it recently with Gamepass. I have accumulated over 60K in a few months. It's definitely a way to buy Season / Battle Passes for next to nothing.
im pretty sure there will be no currency but cant say for 100% certainty but again the battlepasses u can buy at ANYTIME even years later if u wanted too and i dont see it being more then $10 to $15 a season pass.
The concept of the battle pass is great and all,however the one catch that nobody seems to notice is micro-transactions.

Let’s say the game releases and you wanna buy the battle pass, you go to the game and find out that you have to pay $/£/€ 5.99 (depends on the currency you use).

Most games with battle passes have a ‘free’ unlock system where free-to-play players (like myself) are rewarded with dimmed down cosmetics. Will Halo Infinite have this?

So do we buy the game with our in game currency and have some of this in the ‘free battle pass’ so us guys can save up to buy a pass or is it just MICRO--Damned--TRANSACTIONS?!
I’m certain you won’t be able to save up coins to buy the season pass. It’s not a mobile game.

i dont think you can/should be able to save up in game currency for the bp. it would cause the devs to lose money because someone could just buy one bp or save up and get one possibly by season 5 or 6, and then be able to get all of the other passes by buying one and waiting until you get enough points from that since they never expire.

i dont think you can/should be able to save up in game currency for the bp. it would cause the devs to lose money because someone could just buy one bp or save up and get one possibly by season 5 or 6, and then be able to get all of the other passes by buying one and waiting until you get enough points from that since they never expire.
CoD and Fortnight both use that system and make billions. I don't see 343i doing it, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
eviltedi wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:

A friendly tip from me if you’re worried about money for Season Passes. I would really look into Microsoft Rewards. You’re able to earn £5/$5 gift cards very easily. That would cover the cost or part of the cost for a Season Pass. Essentially getting it for free or much cheaper.
The Microsoft Reward Points is a good idea. I didn't realise it's potential until I noticed it recently with Gamepass. I have accumulated over 60K in a few months. It's definitely a way to buy Season / Battle Passes for next to nothing.
Except if they were to do that then 10,000 Microsoft Reward Points would end up equaling 1USD... lol
I’m honestly so hype I only have to buy the battle pass once and you can keep it. I get so mad when a new one comes out in Valorant and I don’t wanna spend $10 but I still do.
TTV Bondor wrote:
I’m honestly so hype I only have to buy the battle pass once and you can keep it. I get so mad when a new one comes out in Valorant and I don’t wanna spend $10 but I still do.
You’ll still have to buy a new battle pass per season. It’s just that you’ll still have access to the older seasons once they’ve ended.

I agree with you that a battle pass most likely means we have to buy an in game currency and then buy a pss which i feel like we shouldnt have to buy a pass at all it should all be unlockable instead of like Modern Warfare 2019 were you unlock something for free every 7+ levels.
From what i understood, there will be 2 methods of unlocking the battle pass levels
1: grind for hours and maybe even days to finish it
2: buy it, pretty good if you have no time and want to unlock some cool armour pieces without having to spend a lot of time in the game
I really think thats a cool concept, after all, they're just cosmetics, they don't interfer in gameplay.
SAM 602 wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:

Except if they were to do that then 10,000 Microsoft Reward Points would end up equaling 1USD... lol
What ? You can redeem Reward Points for Xbox gift cards, gift cards can be used to buy Xbox games, dlc, GamePass and more. In the UK a £5 gift card is 5800 points or so. I imagine it will be about the same in the USA.
From what i understood, there will be 2 methods of unlocking the battle pass levels
1: grind for hours and maybe even days to finish it
2: buy it, pretty good if you have no time and want to unlock some cool armour pieces without having to spend a lot of time in the game
I really think thats a cool concept, after all, they're just cosmetics, they don't interfer in gameplay.
I don’t think they have ever said you can grind the Battle Pass. If you don’t buy it you don’t get it, with the exception of the first which is free for all. Once you have bought it, that’s when the grind starts.
I think that the battle pass will have certain rewards throughout that will be free but for the most part it will probably be mostly premium rewards, especially considering that you can level up the battle pass whenever you want with no fear of it expiring on you. I think that is okay because they said that if something is offered through the battle pass then it will not be offered anywhere else. At the very least that means that you know someone else won't be able to circumvent the battle pass by just waiting for a specific skin or armor to become available in the store to buy.

Speaking of the store, I'm pretty sure they will also have store exclusive armors that you will only be able to get by buying them straight up. Again no loot boxes so at least you know what you are buying and getting. It will be interesting to see and I'm sure there will be some upset over the fact that certain armor sets or coatings will be available only to buy but that is the way they are going to make money. As long as the prices aren't overly predatory like Fortnite or COD where its like 20-30 bucks for a skin then I'm okay with it even though I probably won't end up buying any skins myself. The most I will probably buy is the battle pass each season. If there is a really epic skin then maybe I'll think about it lol.
So far we only know of two things for sale in Infinite MP: Coatings and battle passes. I doubt they will make virtual currency just for these two things.
More than likely they will be direct purchases.