Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Beta soon-ish?

OP Luke Pawlowski

Both H5 and HW2 had very early betas where the game was clearly in early stages. What are the chances we get a beta for Infinite in, like, March?
We know there will be early(ish) flights for Halo Insider members, but we don't when exactly they are going to run. A more traditional private/public beta will happen post-E3 2020.
At this rate of communication of 343-Infinite has indicated that they aren’t ready/confinement to show anything off. Now don’t be mistaken 343-mcc has been amazing lately with both consistent updates, communication of things related to what’s being worked on, and acknowledgment of in game issues WITH plans to fix. But 343-Infinite? Has been worse this year (2019) than last year (2018) when it comes to talking about the game, showing off concept art, and answering Q&As (fingers crossed for 2020 that everything goes smoothly.) This is all comparative. Now with that established let me get onto to ‘beta’. The only hard source for ‘more halo infinite information’ is the community update post e3 2019 where they stared along the lines of starting their marketing on full steam post e3 2020. Does this mean the beta is included? Probably. If so then the beta is useless and cannot serve its function as a means to improve the game, because after next e3 we are supposively going to get the Xbox scarlet and halo infinite around oct-nov (4-5 months.) Now assuming that the game has to be finished roughly a month before launch so the copies can be sent to stores to be sold on the correct day, then we will have 3-4 months for 343-Infinite to make any changes from the beta. That’s the best case senario and as we have seen with Halo 5, MCC, and other video games there will be some bug that takes forever to patch or some mechanic months to adjust. This is why I praised the halo 5 beta so much, we had 8 and a half months to provide arena feedback and 3 months for the Warzone feedback. WZ ended up with the most unbalanced weapon scaling, the most amount of geometry to clip into, and tied to the REQ system which didn’t work consistently for an additional 2 months. (Not mentioning firefight as that is it’s own beast.)

With all of that being said, I truly believe that halo infinite needs a beta around 7 months before launch. As 343i has shown that highest amount of quality tuning in that amount of time. A successful, balanced, and stable launch for Halo infinite can win 343 a load of praise for actually showing improvement post h4, h5, mcc. With a well written story I’m sure they can knock it out of the park.
Spoiler:
Show
There is a 100% chance that there will be a beta at some point.
At this point, I'm 50/50 on there being a beta by March-April given that we still haven't heard anything about it yet.
The Halo 5 beta was announced in August and occurred in December.
Expectations of a beta similar to Halo 4 or 5 need to be tempered with the fact that 343's hands are tied by Microsoft and their plans for the Scarlet.

There will be very little seen until the new console's launch... for which Infinite will (quite rightly) be the centrepiece.

And we need to softly prepare ourselves that depending on how strongly they want to tie Infinite to the new Xbox - they may forgo an Xbox One/S public beta altogether.

It's all down to the whims of the marketing dept.
I believe early spring around March would be the perfect time for a beta but with 343 being chained with marketing for Microsoft and needing E3 2020 to be special. I think worst case scenario is we get a beta starting the day of E3. Assuming halo infinite is close to being done by then they can divert all their resources to fine tuning quickly before launch while the rest of the team finished the game. The glorious thing about the halo 5 beta was that they had plenty of time to make corrections which helped the initial launch. I kind of worry about 343 giving us a late beta especially with a whole new engine being built through out the last few years. New bugs are probably going to pop up potentially and they might not get enough time to fix them.
We know there will be early(ish) flights for Halo Insider members, but we don't when exactly they are going to run. A more traditional private/public beta will happen post-E3 2020.
I know there will be beta's, but I don't recall 343I or anyone saying it'll be for Halo inside members or anything. If so, link please.

Personally, I think that would be a bad move as a lot of people will be pissed off. Making it an open beta like they did with Halo 5 makes more sense to me.

Both H5 and HW2 had very early betas where the game was clearly in early stages. What are the chances we get a beta for Infinite in, like, March?
I don't see it happening. I think the first beta will be the day or, during E3 week or just after E3....but hey, you never know 😉
I know there will be beta's, but I don't recall 343I or anyone saying it'll be for Halo inside members or anything. If so, link please.

Personally, I think that would be a bad move as a lot of people will be pissed off. Making it an open beta like they did with Halo 5 makes more sense to me.

I don't see it happening. I think the first beta will be the day or, during E3 week or just after E3....but hey, you never know 😉
Here you go.Keep in mind that early Insider flights do not equal a beta. Similar to the MCC flights, these will most likely be very short (1-2 days) test sessions where 343i can use the community to test specific gamemodes and maps for Infinite. A beta test is something else entirely and we will definately have wait a long while for one of those. As you said, E3 2020 or post -E3 at the earliest for one of those.
I think that's fair to assume. They said they wanted to do flights and within the next few months is prime time to start.
If they're still doing flights before E3 (which I highly doubt they will) it won't be anything too public. I also guess the participants would be under NDA IF such an occurrence would be taking place.

Like many of you good folks already said, marketing is a thing, Scarlet is under way and Halo Infinite needs to be the new killer app of that platform. There is no way in hell Hi will be shown off before E3 2020! The "beta" will most probably be released on the same day of the expo as part of the game-pass!
From the new Halo Insider stuff I've been hearing seems that there will be flights for Halo infinite. But like previously said, it will not be a public spectacle. But Slipspace Engine probably has a big plan for the Reclaimer Saga. The best plan is try to join Halo Insider and try to get into some Beta Testing.
I could see a beta/flight release/date shortly after 2020 E3.
I bet they’ll reveal information at the game awards next Thursday. If not then we’re probably gonna have to wait for E3
I don't see anything Halo Infinite released before we get to see Project Scarlet stuff. I bet the first real Halo Infinite reveal will be along side Scarlet's reveal.