Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Blue team in green thank you

OP Foxxtrot 64

This by far my greatest peep which constantly gets on my nerves constantly there was a early showing of a cover art for the new book which features blue team any new Mark 6 armor layout and I can clearly see that 343 has not learned anything but at least state if so quite facetiously. So basically what I'm saying today is please blue team in green make it feel more militaristic thank you.
That's something that always really put me off from Halo Reach. Why are all these elite special forces guys running around in bright blue armor? Save that stuff for the covenant.
From a lore perspective, I completely agree with you. The soldiers should look like soldiers. They should wear OD green armor (or whatever color armor works for the environment they are operating in). So for a book that is entirely lore based, I 100% agree that they should have been all green. BUT I do understand that 343 has to balance that realism with the fact that there are many fans who know Blue Team entirely from their portrayal in H5... meaning that Blue Team would have to look like they did in H5, or those fans could get confused by the cover art.

So I guess I just fall under the category of "Hey there's a new Halo book! Can't wait to read it!"
Definitely would like to see blue team in olive Mark armor as they used to be, the H5g portrayals just looked ridiculous.
The colors of blue team don’t really bother me, though I also wouldn’t mind more realistic military colors. That said I don’t think they all need to be green. The military does use more then just various shades of green.

plus I’ll just be pumped if they are actually in game and part of your squad again, right now that’s still kinda up in the air.

Their armor on the cover is still sick imo and I hope they and it make the jump to infinite.
If they want to colour-code the Spartans fine, but do it with secondary colours! Give a stripe or different symbols on their shoulders and backs. Something among those lines! To hell! Black team only had roman numbers on their visors and yet every one of them were still easily distinctive most of the time thanks to the weaponry, poses and speaking habits. ...I'm still pissed of they got killed of screen in a terrible comic btw.

In the case of Blue team we have different armours, number codes on the chess and distinctive weapons for everyone. There was no need to change their main armour coloration too imho, it just looks silly and is part what gave H4/5 that power ranger vibe to begin with, aside the lack of black under-suits of course. Marketing wise having them more distinct in colour too makes them easier to though, so I understand the reasoning behind it. It's still offputting based on the militaristic setting of the game though. It helps that in Infinite Chief is most probably the only Spartan we'll see though.
They are colored for ease of identification from a distance. Like elites ranks are colored...
I don’t mind the choice of color at all but I can see where you are coming from.

I believe it’s to be user friendly rather than be realistic. Reaslistically speaking a lot of things shouldn’t be how they are. All Spartans should technically be of same uniform, organized into squads and be constantly watched... deployed only in spec ops... etc
saifa117 wrote:
They are colored for ease of identification from a distance. Like elites ranks are colored...
I don’t mind the choice of color at all but I can see where you are coming from.

I believe it’s to be user friendly rather than be realistic. Reaslistically speaking a lot of things shouldn’t be how they are. All Spartans should technically be of same uniform, organized into squads and be constantly watched... deployed only in spec ops... etc
Ahhhhh ok this makes no send a modern-day military forces are all confused because they have no color coordination to tell who is who.
If they want to colour-code the Spartans fine, but do it with secondary colours! Give a stripe or different symbols on their shoulders and backs. Something among those lines! To hell! Black team only had roman numbers on their visors and yet every one of them were still easily distinctive most of the time thanks to the weaponry, poses and speaking habits. ...I'm still pissed of they got killed of screen in a terrible comic btw.

In the case of Blue team we have different armours, number codes on the chess and distinctive weapons for everyone. There was no need to change their main armour coloration too imho, it just looks silly and is part what gave H4/5 that power ranger vibe to begin with, aside the lack of black under-suits of course. Marketing wise having them more distinct in colour too makes them easier to though, so I understand the reasoning behind it. It's still offputting based on the militaristic setting of the game though. It helps that in Infinite Chief is most probably the only Spartan we'll see though.
Okay okay okay stop let's not look at it from a lower standpoint real-world standpoint advance augmentative armor with complicated electrical systems embedded into its overall core serves one function to put out signals which each suit can collect transferred idea to visually to the heads-up display you telling me that Master Chief is going to look over or raw and be like where is Kelly the system cannot pinpoint where is Kelly. And I don't think it was Halo 5. Introduced this multicolor Spartan nonsense it was reach yes Halo 5 did it terribly no doubt about that but reach was the defining factor or the pseudo Flashpoint which change the whole design context of how future Halo games were created
saifa117 wrote:

Ahhhhh ok this makes no send a modern-day military forces are all confused because they have no color coordination to tell who is who.
I'll quote myself: "I believe it's to be user freindly rather than be realistic"

User freindly to the player, and not to the other troops in battle.
You have quite a point here, its not realistic at all to go full body paint different color. Someone else mentioned a couple of interesting takes that I approve of that kind of comprimise a bit. For example... using secondary colors to differentiate them. Number tags on chest... can also go a long way. Weapon of choice can also go a very long way. Maybe different colors... but not so much as to go with an entirely different hue than green. Black seems to actually make a little sense. Greyish green also makes sense. Olive as well... etc etc.
If there should be other hues... maybe coloration needs to be less vibrant... more greenish/grey...
But for the record... it doesnt really matter what color they are because the enviroments they fight in are not primarily in vegitated areas. They were intended to fight rebellion. I expect that to be in city regions? The only reason they would be colored green would be to inform others of a military presence... which works to inform players... and to inform civiliians in game.
saifa117 wrote:
saifa117 wrote:

I'll quote myself: "I believe it's to be user freindly rather than be realistic"

User freindly to the player, and not to the other troops in battle.
You have quite a point here, its not realistic at all to go full body paint different color. Someone else mentioned a couple of interesting takes that I approve of that kind of comprimise a bit. For example... using secondary colors to differentiate them. Number tags on chest... can also go a long way. Weapon of choice can also go a very long way. Maybe different colors... but not so much as to go with an entirely different hue than green. Black seems to actually make a little sense. Greyish green also makes sense. Olive as well... etc etc.
If there should be other hues... maybe coloration needs to be less vibrant... more greenish/grey...
But for the record... it doesnt really matter what color they are because the enviroments they fight in are not primarily in vegitated areas. They were intended to fight rebellion. I expect that to be in city regions? The only reason they would be colored green would be to inform others of a military presence... which works to inform players... and to inform civiliians in game.
The number tags on the chest are canon, and I wish that would have remained constant throughout the games. They're seen in Forward Unto Dawn, Halo Legends, and a few other places if I recall. Now with Infinite, it looks like the numbers printed on the armor have returned, of which I am in favor.

Really any Earth-tone color would suffice depending on the environment. Browns, grays, blacks, greens, and even some blues can be useful for camouflage. But as I said before, you have to consider the cool factor when talking about games. From a real-world perspective, Earth-tones are useful. From a game play perspective, different colors can be cool. And the "rule of cool" is very important in games.

While you have a point about the fact that the Spartans were intended to squash rebellions, it's important to note that the rebels were found in more places than just urban environments. The first major encounter with the Innies for John was on an asteroid. He also fought rebels in forests and other non-urban environments. However, I do agree that the colors matter little simply from the fact that Spartans are so effective and fast that the colors would barely register to a rebel in the middle of a battle.
This by far my greatest peep which constantly gets on my nerves constantly there was a early showing of a cover art for the new book which features blue team any new Mark 6 armor layout and I can clearly see that 343 has not learned anything but at least state if so quite facetiously. So basically what I'm saying today is please blue team in green make it feel more militaristic thank you.
Yea I was never really a fan of the coloured Spartans. I can see why it was implemented though, to make it easier to identify between characters. However there are much better ways to identify them both in cutscene and gameplay, for example...
- The visor shape is different on all current members of blue team, maybe with the exception of Fred who's appears closer to Chief (That won't really matter though considering you play as Chief).
- Each member has unique weaponry which sets them apart, Kelly now has the Oathsworn, Linda has the Nornfang and Fred is efficient with knives. Each of these items are present with their respective characters.
- Designated numbers seem to be present in game now so that could also help identify them.
So their are plenty of ways to differentiate the members other than colour. I dont think that 343 will make them green though as they have already changed the armour, changing the colour could make it harder to tell them apart from a casual perspective.
I can't wait for the new season of Green VS Green.

In all seriousness, I can see why it was all the same armour, same colour back in the day. When it was just ONI/UNSC in charge of the Spartans, it would be make uniformally. But once you start bringing in independent contractors, variations arise. I actually wonder the politics of letting other armaments get their hands into MJOLNIR. Do you think big-name companies fought to get their logos splashed on the armour to promote their brands? Or was the colour a sort of compromise?

Or is it that once a Spartan/individual becomes established, do they get to customize their own look with permission from higher up? Does Kelly really prefer that colour? Did Fred really care what his looked like when he got his new custom rig? The Spartan IIIs armour probably wasn't a big concern with the higher ups. These were suicide troopers. Who cares if they wanted to drop in wearing rainbow trousers?

The IVs would even make sense to coordinate based on either Fireteam or rank, but that hasn't been the case. It's possible they just allowed the colour variation as a sort of morale boost. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine." kind of thing.
Eh I like that they have their own colours. You can't make out much but I think Blue Team looks great on that Shadows of Reach cover art.