Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

BR, DMR or Utility Pistol? Pick One Not all.

OP WerepyreND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I actually would prefer AR (only) starts with DMR or BR pickups. That way SWAT is still vastly different than Team Slayer on a bigger level than just "the precision weapon you start with is bigger, or does more damage".

I think Halo 3 did starting weapons right, but at the same time I haven't played every single halo game online multiplayer.
Definitely agree with you

Starter - Pistol
Pickup - DMR
Get rid of - BR

i am sorry, my child...
if you guys put the DMR, they need to fire more faster.
I prefer to rely on my pistol than DMR.
Pluto70 wrote:
BR hands down, it just looks right for the part, and it's iconic.
Absolutely. Halo CE magnum made a name for itself, but that was due to a developer fiasco. Once they fixed that in H2, the BR has become an icon to the game. It also makes sense to be the primary for an elite naval warfare team to use with its versatile options.
Well by that logic, halo 2 was a fiasco too. The whole game was scrapped and redone in crunch mode. Halo CE wasn't a fiasco per se. Jason Jones tweaked some stuff right before launch (the pistol in particular) and it turned out to be a brilliant move.
Pluto70 wrote:
Absolutely. Halo CE magnum made a name for itself, but that was due to a developer fiasco. Once they fixed that in H2, the BR has become an icon to the game. It also makes sense to be the primary for an elite naval warfare team to use with its versatile options.
Well by that logic, halo 2 was a fiasco too. The whole game was scrapped and redone in crunch mode. Halo CE wasn't a fiasco per se. Jason Jones tweaked some stuff right before launch (the pistol in particular) and it turned out to be a brilliant move.
Well, the Jones secret magnum enhance being a brilliant move is a matter of opinion. Do I use the magnum over almost all others? Yes. Should the starting side arm be more powerful than most other primaries? In my opinion, no. I believe a side arm should be that. The use of a side arm in my opinion should be if you dont have a primary, or your primary goes dry and switching to side arm for a finish is quicker than reloading.
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
Well, the Jones secret magnum enhance being a brilliant move is a matter of opinion. Do I use the magnum over almost all others? Yes. Should the starting side arm be more powerful than most other primaries? In my opinion, no. I believe a side arm should be that. The use of a side arm in my opinion should be if you dont have a primary, or your primary goes dry and switching to side arm for a finish is quicker than reloading.
There is no such thing as a "sidearm" in a game where you can only hold two weapons at any given time regardless of size. Your "Primary" and "Secondary" is decided by your playstyle, not arbitrary designations.

Also, the CE is better balanced relative to the CE sandbox than pretty much any comparable weapon in a later Halo game, all weapons aside from the Needler are viable. A smart player CE will drop their Pistol when the situation calls for it while in later games there is no reason to drop your BR/DMR unless you are doing something goofy.
WerepyreND wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
There is no such thing as a "sidearm" in a game where you can only hold two weapons at any given time regardless of size. Your "Primary" and "Secondary" is decided by your playstyle, not arbitrary designations.

Also, the CE is better balanced relative to the CE sandbox than pretty much any comparable weapon in a later Halo game, all weapons aside from the Needler are viable. A smart player CE will drop their Pistol when the situation calls for it while in later games there is no reason to drop your BR/DMR unless you are doing something goofy.
I was basing the sidearm description off of what the pistol is, a handgun, not off the slot designations of a video game. Which would make sense to drop a pistol in favor of two other weapons which offered the opportunity.

In CE, I will definitely drop my pistol for a different weapon, but the AR will always go first.
Have the Pistol be the utility weapon and starting weapon, obviously.

Put it this way, if you start with the Pistol, you have reason to pick up the BR or DMR for its designed advantages.

If you start with the BR or DMR, why would you ever pick up the Pistol? The only way that could happen is if the Pistol was better than the BR/DMR. The Pistol might as well be cut from the sandbox if it doesn't even have a role to play anymore.

And in a case where the Pistol does have some niche role that makes it viable to have both the BR/DMR and the Pistol, then you'd be dropping the AR, and people already complain about the push for precision weapons as it is.
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
The assault rifle will always be considered the side arm as a run and spray, zero skill weapon should be, as it is has been treated in very single halo game. The pistol is what it is - a great weapon. I'm just not interested in the "what is more realistic" argument as we are talking about a sci fi space shooter with super human Spartans. If the pistol is powerful in Halo Combat Evolved then that is the way the UNSC made it. No need to try and discredit the pistol.
The Halo 5 pistol is literally cancer. That was the worst decision 343 made. Every weapon in Halo 5 is pretty much the same. I dont care if its the BR or the DMR. make the pistol like it was in halo 3. Useless unless its up close like how it should be.
Start: Pistol

Pick-up: BR

Remove: DMR
Pluto70 wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:

I was basing the sidearm description off of what the pistol is, a handgun, not off the slot designations of a video game. Which would make sense to drop a pistol in favor of two other weapons which offered the opportunity.

In CE, I will definitely drop my pistol for a different weapon, but the AR will always go first.
There are plenty of powerful pistols in existence.
Also, you'd be perfectly fine with it if it got a new mesh and textures?
pistol/magnum for me
Just add some Human carbines haha. I liked the suppressed smg and all the different pistols. Variety is fun.
The BR had Halo 2, 3, and arguably 4.
The magnum had CE and 5.
The DMR had Reach...... let the DMR have another chance
I’d figure keeping all and giving each a niche would be better than removing one.
In my opinion as many others have also stated, the pistol can serve as a nice finishing off weapon, useful as a secondary that is quick to switch to, and accurate at mid range.

BR should be kept as is imo. Same as AR.
if anything should go it’s the dmr as the dmr technically has a covenant carbine to fill its role. As much as it would be nice to keep them all, two main precision weapons for the same faction kinda dilutes the sandbox... in the end of the day, either the dmr or be should be buffed to be a power weapon or removed ... preferably the dmr imo
Pluto70 wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:

It’s a sci-fi shooter. The CE magnum isn’t JUST a handgun. I ran the numbers a while back and the round fired from the magnum produced somewhere around 8,000 J of kinetic energy. For reference a .338 Lapua magnum round produces somewhere around 6,700 J of kinetic energy. To put that into perspective for you, if the CE magnum were a real gun you would legally be able to use it to hunt elephants. That’s right, the CE magnum is capable of stopping an elephant dead in its tracks with a single well placed shot.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2