Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

BR is confirmed as the starting weapon in arena

OP Imon Spartan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The BR is confirmed as the starting weapon in the competitive. Opinions?
I'm disappointed to say the least. I'm a long-time player since CE when I was in middle school, playing and enjoying elements of all Halo games since. I personally think this is a bad decision, along with removing radar. It was a problem in Halo 2. It removes variety from the game and makes it boring to watch and play. During the ranked gameplay premiere, the BR was used about 90% of the time. The player passed on almost every weapon pickup except sword. He changed to the brute revolver but mostly for show, switching back to the BR for the kills. I feel like there was a lot of work put into balancing the Pistol/AR loadout in social arena. It is good enough loadout to outplay opponents but you want to replace both weapons as soon as possible. The pistol is also a much more difficult weapon to use and should be the default starting weapon over BR. Watching a skilled player use it is much more interesting than watching the BR. The BR is one of the easiest to use weapons in the game and outshooting almost everything. Picking it up in social arena feels special, like a mid-tier power weapon.

Ranked arena is my favorite mode in Halo 5. I also thought it was a bad decision to remove the AR as a secondary in that mode, but pistol only starts is still a better decision than BR starts. It felt stale ever since. Variety, weapon roles, and weapon pickups are integral to Halo multiplayer. As the dominant E-sports mode, ranked arena should reflect this. I honestly thought the social arena was perfect as is. It is fun and rewarding for skilled play. It's fun to watch. Players rush to sections of the map to pick up weapons. Engagement ranges are varied as well as player actions. A couple of weapons might have needed tweaking, but overall it was great.

As long as social arena stays the same I will be happy. Just afraid it will be removed like it was in halo 5; replaced with all forms of fiesta and grab bag shenanigan playlists.
healthZERO wrote:
I honestly thought the social arena was perfect as is. It is fun and rewarding for skilled play. It's fun to watch.
I'd agree social is perfect as it is and hope they don't change that or BTB. In terms of skilled play though it does fall short.

Ranked settings look super fun to me. I do worry they might make ranked less approachable for lower skilled players though.
Ken2379 wrote:
healthZERO wrote:
I honestly thought the social arena was perfect as is. It is fun and rewarding for skilled play. It's fun to watch.
I'd agree social is perfect as it is and hope they don't change that or BTB. In terms of skilled play though it does fall short.

Ranked settings look super fun to me. I do worry they might make ranked less approachable for lower skilled players though.
Yup.
I did my own post on ranked but thought I'd quote this part:

"This is really a great example of why I don't like BR starts. 90% of the time he's just using the BR. There's really no point in picking anything else up besides rockets and sniper maybe."
I think a season with these settings will be good to actually see how equipment plays, but right now I think one grapple use, 1-2 threat sensor uses, two repulsor uses, three thruster uses, and no drop shield will be perfect.
I'm very glad they did this. It's what the competitive community wants and quite frankly, without the competitive community the game will suffer in a myriad of ways. Halo has proven that without a strong competitive core, it struggles to thrive.
That's a bit disappointing. I don't see the appeal in using one gun the whole game. The competitive community can be a bit whack at times only wanting to use the BR and not play the game to it's fullest.
I'm very happy for the BR. Finally Halo returns to its roots. I never loved the magnum, I ditched Halo 5 for it. Now I can get back to being passionate about this game.
healthZERO wrote:
I'm disappointed to say the least. I'm a long-time player since CE when I was in middle school, playing and enjoying elements of all Halo games since. I personally think this is a bad decision, along with removing radar. It was a problem in Halo 2. It removes variety from the game and makes it boring to watch and play . . .
Ok, I had to respond cause I disagree on some things. You were probably too young back then, because in CE, we exclusively played Slayer Pro, King Pro, CTF Pro and created the variants which were missing that brought M6D Pistol starts (ie Team Slayer Pro was created). If we played 'Default' variants it was because some idiot was new to the game, the host forgot, or for the one-time laughs of Plasma Pistol starts on Blood Gulch (that was Default, lmao)

Even with the consistency (in og XBox LANs) of a 3-shot M6D that took advantage of massive bullet magnetism and speed across map, the other sandbox weapons like Shotgun, Rocket, and Sniper were all used. In Halo 2, they made the replacement easier with the burst (which I always disagreed with personally, yet still so fun to use compared to other versions of the BR), but still, many of the sandbox weapons in MLG were used, and frequently (Shotgun, Sword, Plasma Pistol, Rocket, and Sniper). Essentially, you are criticizing that 'dual-wielded' weapons and a few other weapons weren't used, lol.

Radar was most of the time turned on except occasionally for some tournaments. I'm a 'Radar-On' guy, but I can see why they would turn it off. In my opinion, with it off it encourages easier fights where you shoot someone in the back or going for Melee kills. Like I said, though, I can why the competitive community prefers it off and ironically they want to be able to shoot someone in the back who doesn't know you're there.

All in all, H2 MLG and H3 MLG weren't boring to watch, and Infinite even has more variety as those versions. I don't even like some things about competitive Infinite, but the increase in variety is undeniable. If anything though, the Sidekick or AR wouldn't change anything with how fast and effective they fire.
LuKr4SH wrote:
I'm very happy for the BR. Finally Halo returns to its roots. I never loved the magnum, I ditched Halo 5 for it. Now I can get back to being passionate about this game.
Ah yes, the CE BR was truly amazing....

wait.
Ken2379 wrote:
healthZERO wrote:

Yup.
I also agree. I think ranked play if it's all pretty much HCS settings will drive away a lot of people. You're much better off to have ranked play and then some playlists that are HCS settings like pretty much every Halo before this has done. As I said many times on here there's lots of people that liked ranked play just maybe not the hardcore HCS settings.

"This is really a great example of why I don't like BR starts. 90% of the time he's just using the BR. There's really no point in picking anything else up besides rockets and sniper maybe."
I couldn't agree more!

Now, Don't get me wrong I like the BR and I have no problem with BR starts if and only IF There is decent weapon variety on the maps. The one thing I really like about pistol AR starts is you actually see a lot of different weapons in the game and use them and I like variety. As I said in another post just recently my biggest gripe for hardcore competitive halo has always been it gets too boring to watch after a while for the average fan and If this is how it is now it will never become the "It" thing because it's mainly a three gun game. The BR, snipers, rockets and that's it and casual fans will find that boring. As I also said in another post, if they keep all these settings, add player collision (this should be a no-brainer) and actually have weapon variety I think that will go a long ways with a lot of people.

Oh and in case anyone's wondering I have been playing since Halo 1 was out within the first month. And I'm on talking like I was 5 either when this happened lol I have been around since the beginning and I have literally seen all the highs and lows of Halo in every area. In the social scene and the competitive scene (which includes many LAN tournaments) If these are the new settings and ranked mode I will call it right now that within the first 6 months they will have separate playlists for HCS settings and normal ranked settings playlist like they've done in the past. I can almost guarantee it because if ranked playlists are HCS settings across the board, I will be shocked that they will do really well and are super popular.

So.................................Halo? You mean?
They said it perfectly themselves. The best team should win. BR starts produces they best team winning FAR more often than AR starts
That's a bit disappointing. I don't see the appeal in using one gun the whole game. The competitive community can be a bit whack at times only wanting to use the BR and not play the game to it's fullest.
They want players to scavenge for their secondary weapon.
I like it
I agree watching sidearm and other weapons is much more enjoyable to watch than BR. But I do think that the amount of bloom the sidearm has makes luck and RNG a bigger factor than player skill
LuKr4SH wrote:
Ah yes, the CE BR was truly amazing....

wait.
CE Comp is a joke.

lol

Roots as in the best of Halo comp aka 2 & 3
I love how everyone here is such an expert and can predict the future on how successful and not so successful game settings will be in determining the overall population within a playlist.
I love how everyone here is such an expert and can predict the future on how successful and not so successful game settings will be in determining the overall population within a playlist.
Well, we did all just watch a 14min game where the kill feed was 95% BR kills.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2