Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

BR or Magnum? for Halo Infinite

OP Rossflex

just curious on what most people want to start with and be the main weapon all around.. and don't get me wrong I love the AR lol!
I prefer BR all around.
I'd like the BR to come back as the all-purpose mid-range weapon while the magnum reverts to a more close-range weapon. It just makes more sense to me.
I'd like the BR to come back as the all-purpose mid-range weapon while the magnum reverts to a more close-range weapon. It just makes more sense to me.
i think the magnum is better of as an " jack of all trades master of non". With a maximum fire rate to wok in close combat and the slow paced accuracy to superseed the br, but single shots, lower red reticule range and low aim assist/ bullet magnetism. a perfect backup weapon and a deadly tool for very good players, but generally superseeded by the more specialized guns.
I would like the magnum from halo 5 back and all its skins and variants and on an unrelated note I would also like the complex forge back to!
I would like the magnum from halo 5 back and all its skins and variants and on an unrelated note I would also like the complex forge back to!
I agree. I thought the balancing between the magnum and BR (and DMR too) was pretty good in Halo 5. I think the magnum could maybe use a small reduction in RRR, or something to move it into just a tad more CQC ranges than it is now.
AR and Scoped Magnum as the starting weapons, with BR/DMR/Carbine/etc as pick-up weapons on the map. The rifles should be more effective than the sidearm though.
I think magnum start (better close-mid range) with BR as a pickup on the map (better mid-long range) would be cool. I love the BR from Halo 2 and 3, but I think the pistol in Halo 5 felt very accurate since you don't have to account for the BR bullet spread (Ive heard that's a thing quite a bit, so I assume its true?), the magnum is less intrusive on screen as its smaller, and it would make picking up the BR that much cooler if you didn't start with it. I think the H5 magnum was the best part about H5's multiplayer. It created a very high skill gap when you were in a 1v1 fight.
Br but mainly because I play which ever modes have the largest player count possible so I'd be expecting a weapon suitable for large maps. For smaller maps, a scoped magnum along with an ar might be a better idea.
While I would prefer a single shot utility weapon, I also don't have a problem with having a BR instead provided it doesn't have any random spread. Ultimately I just want to spawn with a strong utility weapon tempered by a high skill gap, whether it takes the form of a BR or Magnum doesn't really matter to me.

That being said, I don't want to see a repeat of the Halo 5 situation where we have the BR and a utility Magnum tripping over each other within the same niche. If the Magnum is the starting weapon, then the BR should get a bigger scope and replace the DMR as a niche long range rifle. If the BR is the starting weapon, than the Magnum should be redesigned into something akin to the Gunfighter Magnum or perhaps the ODST Pistol.

For the life of me I don't understand folks who think "sidearms" in Halo should be inherently weaker than rifles. Halo has been "realistic" in that regard. Fair enough if you don't want a Pistol to be the main starting weapon, but if that is the case it needs to fill a different role from other precision weapons, not simply be a weaker version of an existing weapon(See Reach, Halo 4). "Backup" is not a valid niche in Halo and Halo has never been a traditional Arena shooter where you spawn with a bad weapon and work your way up from there.
Rossflex wrote:
just curious on what most people want to start with and be the main weapon all around.. and don't get me wrong I love the AR lol!
I prefer BR all around.
BR absolutly because the Magnum is More OP same situation of Halo 5 and ruined the Experience
i think the magnum is better of as an " jack of all trades master of non". With a maximum fire rate to wok in close combat and the slow paced accuracy to superseed the br, but single shots, lower red reticule range and low aim assist/ bullet magnetism. a perfect backup weapon and a deadly tool for very good players, but generally superseeded by the more specialized guns.
I get where you're coming from, but I work with guns on a daily basis. So my experience colors my opinion on this topic. Pistols aren't fundamentally designed for being jack of all trades weapons. However, this is just a game, so if the people want it to be jack of all trades, then give the people what they want. I'd just prefer that the BR be that weapon instead.
I like the magnum / AR start.

Both are useful straight off the bat... AR up close and the magnum mid-range.

But both are imminently swappable for weapons placed around the map.

Which is pretty much how you want the game to run. You aren't completely useless off spawn... and you don't want to start with something so powerful / versatile that you don't need to make a move for anything else.
I really like the Magnum. Would love to see another slightly overpowered one. 3 shots to the head and you are dead.
Simply make this:

BR for multi-purpose in close, mid and long range combat without making other weapons useless

Magnum with actual secundary weapon caracteristics, but with enough advantages to use it

Basically give the weapons a well defined role. AR for close-mid range, Magnum for mid range, and BR for mid-long range, like it was in other games (possibly like Halo 4, since the weapons have their roles well defined: AR beats magnum and BR in close range, Magnum beats AR at mid range but not the BR, and BR beats AR and Magnum at long range)
I would like pistol only starts and all other weapons as map pick ups. I like the BR, but don't feel it should be a starting weapon. It's just too good and has too good of range (well, minus the H5 BR which is complete garbage all around now lol) otherwise, If it is BR starts there isn't much point of picking up any other weapon other than a power weapon really. Maybe an auto for backup, but that's it. I enjoy the "weapon hunting" in Halo and if anything, I want more of it, not less. I feel the starting weapon should be good and usable but for the most part you should want to replace it asap which in Halo 5, there isn't much point as the pistol is just TOO good in all situations.

I like how the pistol is in H5 but it shouldn't be better then a BR, minus maybe ROF.
I love the Halo 5 magnum but we need BR starts. That doesn't mean the magnum should be absolute trash, just better than Halo 4 and worse than Halo 5.
Simply make this:

BR for multi-purpose in close, mid and long range combat without making other weapons useless

Magnum with actual secundary weapon caracteristics, but with enough advantages to use it

Basically give the weapons a well defined role. AR for close-mid range, Magnum for mid range, and BR for mid-long range, like it was in other games (possibly like Halo 4, since the weapons have their roles well defined: AR beats magnum and BR in close range, Magnum beats AR at mid range but not the BR, and BR beats AR and Magnum at long range)
The BR(or any past utility weapon) doesn't make other weapons useless by being powerful and versatile. Other weapons have historically been either redundant and/or flat out bad at their jobs. If you want people to switch weapons make weapons that are powerful, mechanically diverse , and have useful traits outside of just raw DPS.

There is also precisely zero room in the sandbox "secondary" weapons in Halo. If you don't want the Magnum to be the main utility weapon that's fine, but the Magnum needs to be more than just a worse version of the BR.
Magnum needs to stay exactly the same and be used for competitive starts, but the BR should be tuned as a bit more of a forgivable magnum for casual play.
I like the 5 shot magnum as the starter precision weapon. BR should be a pickup.