Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Bracing an Open World.

OP ODST D Locke

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So! As many of us are aware. 343 might be slapping an open world into Halo: Infinite.

Honestly I think it's a wonderful idea. Breaking away with the one path linear campaigns that we have been seeing and add a little bit of spice to our adventure.
A lot of people love it. (I am amongst the people who think it would be great)
And other people hate it.
What are your thoughts

And what would you like to see during the new campaign in Halo; Infinite
It's not unheard of within the Halo franchise, as ODST was also open-world-ish.

As for infinite, it really depends on how they're going to do it. Halo has traditionally been known to visit a great deal of locales in the campaign. It doesn't matter how big your 'open world' is, it will never be to scale if they plan to fit it all within the same instance. The only game which would be able to fit within a single, modern instance would (ironically) be ODST. The closest contender after, Halo:CE, only takes place in, on and around the ring, but even there, there's so much travel involved that you can't realistically fit it all within the same space.

If 343 opts for this option, the Infinite campaign must provide a very good reason to stick to this relatively small patch of space.

If Infinite does want to expand to multiple locales, in combination with open world gameplay, we'll most likely get to see something like Destiny. Smaller, and splintered instances, but with the benefit of not having to stick to the same place.

Either way, time will tell.
I think that it would be a nice change, however I would like them to keep some typical halo campaign features that aren't really in open-world games like Borderlands or Destiny.

The main thing that I want them to keep is the level selection menu as the main thing that this does is add the ability to replay the campaign in parts without having to do the whole thing again. This is really important to me that they keep it as my brother and I constantly go back into halo and just play levels that we want and mess about with skulls trying to find the most fun way to play.

The next thing kind of goes with the level selection menu but isn't the same point. I don't want Destiny type levels. What I mean by this is the actual starting the level and the level layout. I don't want to have to drive around the map to start the level as it is a bit of a drag and the main thing that I love about halo is that with a few clicks, you in the action again and I really want that to stay. I also don't really like how most of the Destiny levels are limited to taking place in or near the open world as I feel that this makes the levels feel very similar and doesn't have that level variety that is notorious in halo campaigns. Btw I'm not trashing Destiny, I just don't think it would be a good style of levels in halo.

Those are the main points of the top of my head that I don't want to see in a open world halo. Now for what I would want to see in it.

I would love to be able to explore a halo ring with other Spartans as I feel that would be amazing and they could hide secrets where you wouldn't visit in campaign. It would also be cool to be exploring with your mates when suddenly there is a huge covenant invasion and they could be other players, or just AI. Basically working invasion into and open world event.

It could also provide a player made story after infinite's campaign. I mean like maybe things that happen in the open world could effect the universe depending on how the players perform against the event. They could do that and then maybe craft a story dlc as a consequence to what happened in that event.

I think that there are so many possibilities but the main thing I don't want them to do is take away good features from the campaign.
From what I've heard you will be able to go back and Replay missions that you have already completed.
There is speculation that the main story within the world would be linear. But you choose to get there is your own choice.
Then the side quests will be completely open.

Love your ideas. I think they work super well.. it would improve roleplay aspects too. If you have a full world to explore and customise. I can't even begin to imagine what direction is going to be like
I like open worlds and I like open world games, but to be honest I'm quite sick of open world games as they have been done to death and I find myself playing them less and less. I hope the new Halo still has a level system. I also feel like you can do more things with a level system. Go more places, have more environments, things like this.

I'll still play the new Halo if it's open world but I can't see myself playing the campaign more than once if it is.
MerlinG2 wrote:
I think that it would be a nice change, however I would like them to keep some typical halo campaign features that aren't really in open-world games like Borderlands or Destiny.

The main thing that I want them to keep is the level selection menu as the main thing that this does is add the ability to replay the campaign in parts without having to do the whole thing again. This is really important to me that they keep it as my brother and I constantly go back into halo and just play levels that we want and mess about with skulls trying to find the most fun way to play.

The next thing kind of goes with the level selection menu but isn't the same point. I don't wantDestiny type levels. What I mean by this is the actual starting the level and the level layout. I don't want to have to drive around the map to start the level as it is a bit of a drag and the main thing that I love about halo is that with a few clicks, you in the action again and I really want that to stay. I also don't really like how most of the Destiny levels are limited to taking place in or near the open world as I feel that this makes the levels feel very similar and doesn't have that level variety that is notorious in halo campaigns. Btw I'm not trashing Destiny, I just don't think it would be a good style of levels in halo.

Those are the main points of the top of my head that I don't want to see in a open world halo. Now for what I would want to see in it.I would love to be able to explore a halo ring with other Spartans as I feel that would be amazing and they could hide secrets where you wouldn't visit in campaign. It would also be cool to be exploring with your mates when suddenly there is a huge covenant invasion and they could be other players, or just AI. Basically working invasion into and open world event.

It could also provide a player made story after infinite's campaign. I mean like maybe things that happen in the open world could effect the universe depending on how the players perform against the event. They could do that and then maybe craft a story dlc as a consequence to what happened in that event.

I think that there are so many possibilities but the main thing I don't want them to do is take away good features from the campaign.
Hm... Your last part reminded me a bit of Guild Wars 2. I don't know if you're familiar with that game (MMORPG), but once every few hours or so an event would trigger next to a city (I believe it was an invasion of centaurs in this specific case). Warding off the attack would complete the event, triggering the counterattack event. This went on and on until you were at their stronghold, eventually eliminating their commander.

If I recall correctly the events could definitely fail, halting the event track and eventually starting over with the first invasion. To me, it gave the impression of a living, breathing world, and if such event chains (with perhaps multiple branches instead of it being linear) can be incorporated within an open world, count me in!
Well, I would like to see... A better ai for the enemy.
All depends on the execution for me
If Infinite is open world, I feel the best route for it to go would be a Metro Exodus style campaign. The story has linear progression with 4 hub worlds from which you play main missions in order. There are side missions for you to complete as well. You use a train to linearly progress from one area to the next, and each hub represents a season. The train acts as a base where you can customize your weapons and load out.

A similar format could be applied to a Halo game. Just replace the train with Brohamers’ Pelican. It’s really a natural progression from Halo CE when you think about it. In CE we had Foehammer bring us from mission to mission with only a couple exceptions where Guilty spark or Cortana teleported the Master Chief. In Infinite we could spend time on the Pelican between missions. Especially if light RPG mechanics are added.

Going back into Metro Exodus, that game as IMO the best weapon customization ever. While I wouldn’t want nor expect such deep customization in Infinite, it could be cool for example, to upgrade weapons with Promethean and Covenant parts:

Using Halo 5’s Req weapons as an example, you could switch the BR’a smart-scope with a classic scope and change the barrel from normal rounds to kinetic rounds(or whatever that Promethean barrel attachment was). Also, add explosive rounds to your SAW. I think that would be the extent of it. Instead of finding Req weapons in the game, you can experiment and make them yourself.
But at the end of the day, Halo is a game that encourages players to pick up and try all weapons in the sand box. Again, using Metro as an example, enemies could have these hybrid weapons also. Encouraging you to pick up new weapons.
Of course, if you really wanted to go in depth, you could change weapon properties via something like a streamlined version of Halo 5’s weapon pad glitch. (And by that I don’t mean shooting a barrage of homing rockets out of a SAW)
I think an open world game would be cool, but I’m not sure how you would do things like LASO with an open world, but I think it would be interesting to play an open world halo.
I would like to see an open world Halo game. ODST was pretty great with the idea. As long as it doesn't have repetitive "Events" in the open world like Destiny then I'm all for it.
I would hate to see Infinite or any mainline Halo game be open world but I wouldn't be opposed to a spin off Halo game being open world.
not sure how an open world main-line halo would work
semi-open world worked pretty well with ODST, so maybe it would be something like that
Halo Infinite as open world has a huge potential

The ring has so much to offer: varied terrain, ambient life, Forerunner structures, ancient human cities, UNSC stuff, covie/banished stuff etc

The e3 2018 trailer hinted at day/night cycle at the very end.

Frankie hinted at varied weather systems, capacious areas etc

One insider said the warthog would be our best friend (kinda like a horse in RDR2?)

Yeah tons of hints it will be open world or semi open world
It will be great to see if the upcoming Halo Infinite have open world gameplay in it. I really want to explore the Zeta Halo Ring in the new Halo video game.
I'm hoping for something more along the style Halo CE had... Big areas, mostly unique levels, and lots to find an explore. Easter eggs always make the game better.

If Infinite does want to expand to multiple locales, in combination with open world gameplay, we'll most likely get to see something like Destiny. Smaller, and splintered instances, but with the benefit of not having to stick to the same place.

Heroic said something like Destiny. Destiny didn't leave the greatest impression on me in terms of story, but the areas in Destiny 2 are all fairly large, but not considered open world. Destiny 2 style areas are, imo, a better option than a full open world. The Silent Cartographer mission is somewhat like this, and that level would be even better if it actually hid things on top of the center piece or enemies up there.

But a total open world halo? I don't know if it would work too well. Linear, individual missions in unique areas are more replay-able. Open worlds can get a little overwhelming, and also remove the ability to have a favorite mission that has its own unique level layout.

A mostly linear, but still open Halo would be my preference.
I'm hoping for something more along the style Halo CE had... Big areas, mostly unique levels, and lots to find an explore. Easter eggs always make the game better.

Heroic said something like Destiny. Destiny didn't leave the greatest impression on me in terms of story, but the areas in Destiny 2 are all fairly large, but not considered open world. Destiny 2 style areas are, imo, a better option than a full open world. The Silent Cartographer mission is somewhat like this, and that level would be even better if it actually hid things on top of the center piece or enemies up there.

But a total open world halo? I don't know if it would work too well. Linear, individual missions in unique areas are more replay-able. Open worlds can get a little overwhelming, and also remove the ability to have a favorite mission that has its own unique level layout.

I agree with you on like every point
As I've stated many times before,,, In Halo we've always been on the edge of these amazing locals and vistas. It's always been a case of look but don't touch. I remember playing Long Night of Solace in Halo Reach and thinking, wouldn't it be amazing to fly back to the planet from orbit. Also, to choose what missions to fight in or what order. Halo progressing to open world is a natural evolution imo. Whether 343i see it that way or not ? Time will tell.

Edit: I do not know any players that did not want to explore the Halo ring in Halo CE. Exploring Halo rings is something many of us have dreamed of since day one.

For sure, the Destiny storyline was simple at best, and that standard is not the level I envision as sufficient for Halo. As for Destiny 2, I cannot comment on that, as the first left a sufficiently bad aftertaste that I did not bother with the second installment.
not sure how an open world main-line halo would work
semi-open world worked pretty well with ODST, so maybe it would be something like that
That's what I was thinking. But maybe with us being on a ring it might work out? Who knows tho.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2