Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Bracing an Open World.

OP ODST D Locke

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
eviltedi wrote:
Halo progressing to open world is a natural evolution imo.
In what way?
Currently there's no good jumping point from the campaign which is in any way semi-open to an open world game. It's very linear.

eviltedi wrote:
I do not know any players that did not want to explore the Halo ring in Halo CE. Exploring Halo rings is something many of us have dreamed of since day one.
My kids think the idea of eating strawberries or ice cream is far more appealing than actually eating either. I have no idea why.
However, I do have a good understanding of why the idea of exploring a Halo ring is far more appealing than I assume it would be to actually do it.

So, open world.
As with many things, one isn't objectively better than the other. Linear lends itself far better to tell a cohesive story with urgent matters, far more so than open world games. My Skyrim playthrough? Never completed the main quest, which itself seemed very dire, as the world was about to end soon if someone didn't stop the big baddy. Two - three years later in-game and the threat was exactly where I had left it to do everything else.

Of course you could fix that with a time-limit ala Dead Rising, but you'll soon find that exploration is very limited, you'll start stressing about doing the missions and that isn't always very fun, especially on the first go when time barely seem to be enough.

Then there's the world itself.
Pretending we get an entire Halo ring to explore, and ignore all the space it'd require as well as all the man power it'd need to make an appealing environment everywhere, you'd need to travel places. Given the massive scale of a ring, you'd spend the majority of game time traveling, or getting lost in the ring's labyrinth inner workings. Fast travel sure is an option but that alone defeats the purpose of the open world aspect. The scale would also make massive open spaces with nothing of interest at all, it'd be very barren. Littering the world with "points of interest" lead to a cluttered map either feeling repetitive, or not vast at all. Vistas then, once you've seen it, that's it. A mountain range is a mountain range, what's going to change if you go there?

How about things to do? Constant encounters without little progress or rewards quickly become tiresome, looking for endless secrets become dull and endless travel isn't exciting. What are you going to do once you reach the impressive mountain range? It's large rocks.
Have a secret there? A base? Caves? What's going to be there? How is it supposed to differ from other mountain ranges? Does it make sense that every single location hold one or more secrets? Something to explore?
Now let's say they actually manage to make exploration exciting and fun in the long run, what is there to explore? There's most likely going to be a very repetitive pattern in most things to explore, resulting in "if you've seen one you've seen them all".

You'll need a completely different type of game than how Halo had handeled before, to make an open-world Halo actually work well.
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
In what way?
Currently there's no good jumping point from the campaign which is in any way semi-open to an open world game. It's very linear.

eviltedi wrote:
I do not know any players that did not want to explore the Halo ring in Halo CE. Exploring Halo rings is something many of us have dreamed of since day one.
My kids think the idea of eating strawberries or ice cream is far more appealing than actually eating either. I have no idea why.
However, I do have a good understanding of why the idea of exploring a Halo ring is far more appealing than I assume it would be to actually do it.

So, open world.
As with many things, one isn't objectively better than the other. Linear lends itself far better to tell a cohesive story with urgent matters, far more so than open world games. My Skyrim playthrough? Never completed the main quest, which itself seemed very dire, as the world was about to end soon if someone didn't stop the big baddy. Two - three years later in-game and the threat was exactly where I had left it to do everything else.

Of course you could fix that with a time-limit ala Dead Rising, but you'll soon find that exploration is very limited, you'll start stressing about doing the missions and that isn't always very fun, especially on the first go when time barely seem to be enough.

Pretending we get an entire Halo ring to explore, and ignore all the space it'd require as well as all the man power it'd need to make an appealing environment everywhere, you'd need to travel places. Given the massive scale of a ring, you'd spend the majority of game time traveling, or getting lost in the ring's labyrinth inner workings. Fast travel sure is an option but that alone defeats the purpose of the open world aspect. The scale would also make massive open spaces with nothing of interest at all, it'd be very barren. Littering the world with "points of interest" lead to a cluttered map either feeling repetitive, or not vast at all. Vistas then, once you've seen it, that's it. A mountain range is a mountain range, what's going to change if you go there?

How about things to do? Constant encounters without little progress or rewards quickly become tiresome, looking for endless secrets become dull and endless travel isn't exciting. What are you going to do once you reach the impressive mountain range? It's large rocks.
Have a secret there? A base? Caves? What's going to be there? How is it supposed to differ from other mountain ranges? Does it make sense that every single location hold one or more secrets? Something to explore?
Now let's say they actually manage to make exploration exciting and fun in the long run, what is there to explore? There's most likely going to be a very repetitive pattern in most things to explore, resulting in "if you've seen one you've seen them all".

You'll need a completely different type of game than how Halo had handeled before, to make an open-world Halo actually work well.
This actually got me thinking. What if the developers wouldn't fill such a space, because they technically wouldn't have to? If players can build their own outposts/bases in semi-instanced areas, they can fill the halo ring on their own.

Would turn into a weird combination of forge, firefight and campaign-esque missions. If done correctly, this could turn out to be very interesting in my opinion.
This actually got me thinking. What if the developers wouldn't fill such a space, because they technically wouldn't have to? If players can build their own outposts/bases in semi-instanced areas, they can fill the halo ring on their own.

Would turn into a weird combination of forge, firefight and campaign-esque missions. If done correctly, this could turn out to be very interesting in my opinion.
Good idea
As a side mode this could potentially have some value.
Not for campaign though.
So! As many of us are aware. 343 might be slapping an open world into Halo: Infinite.Honestly I think it's a wonderful idea. Breaking away with the one path linear campaigns that we have been seeing and add a little bit of spice to our adventure.
A lot of people love it. (I am amongst the people who think it would be great)
And other people hate it.
What are your thoughts

And what would you like to see during the new campaign in Halo; Infinite
i would like to see halo ce open world it felt like a huge world that but in reality it wasn't something I need to make clear is botw, gta , skyrim style open worlds imo are bad for halo it just ruins what halo is and makes it something else
I'm hoping for something more along the style Halo CE had... Big areas, mostly unique levels, and lots to find an explore. Easter eggs always make the game better.

If Infinite does want to expand to multiple locales, in combination with open world gameplay, we'll most likely get to see something like Destiny. Smaller, and splintered instances, but with the benefit of not having to stick to the same place.

Either way, time will tell.
Heroic said something like Destiny. Destiny didn't leave the greatest impression on me in terms of story, but the areas in Destiny 2 are all fairly large, but not considered open world. Destiny 2 style areas are, imo, a better option than a full open world. The Silent Cartographer mission is somewhat like this, and that level would be even better if it actually hid things on top of the center piece or enemies up there.

But a total open world halo? I don't know if it would work too well. Linear, individual missions in unique areas are more replay-able. Open worlds can get a little overwhelming, and also remove the ability to have a favorite mission that has its own unique level layout.

A mostly linear, but still open Halo would be my preference.
For sure, the Destiny storyline was simple at best, and that standard is not the level I envision as sufficient for Halo. As for Destiny 2, I cannot comment on that, as the first left a sufficiently bad aftertaste that I did not bother with the second installment.
I played the first 2 missions of the first one, and then stopped playing that one. The second one actually had some better written dialogue and an actual story, not to mention a main enemy other than just "The Darkness oogabooga" It still wasn't what I expected out of Bungie (mostly because the good writers of the old Halos were kicked by Activision). Still, 343 could take some pointers on map and level layout without being completely open world.
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
In what way?

eviltedi wrote:

So, open world.

A natural progression in my opinion was to sum up my view. I already stated why I felt like that before I wrote that sentance. We've been on the edge of these amazing vistas but it's always a case of look but don't touch in most cases. I would like to explore more than we could in Halo CE, or Long Night of Solace for example.

As for the open world. I don't expect to be able to explore every nook and crannie of an "entire" Halo ring, but I do see the possibility of Halo being like RDR2 as far as open world goes with massive areas to explore. We could have fast travel once we've unlocked an area or place, most open world games use it and it does not defeat the purpose of the open world aspect. It's merely a convenience for us if we want to use it.

Things to do. How about randomly generated missions with random enemy and or dangerous wildlife encounters, recon missions, search and destroy, firefight missions, rescue etc. Or how about just explore like we did in Halo CE. Looking for secrets too, it might be dull to you but others enjoy, I suggest making them optional. No one is left out or made to perform dull missions that way.

I don't believe it would take a completely different type of game either, different opinions I guess.
If you told me 10 years ago that the next Halo game would be open-world, I would be ecstatic. There was a point in time where being a AAA open-world game almost guaranteed great reception. However, the genre grew a bit stale after some companies *cough* Ubisoft *cough* released numerous open-world games, established tropes in the genre, and made the experience stale. I am concerned 343 will just recreate tropes without understanding the nuances of what makes a good open-world game vs a generic one. Here's hoping 343 does not just give into the tropes and creates something more unique and interesting.
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
In what way?

eviltedi wrote:

So, open world.

So it seems to me that you’ve made up your mind already and you do not want an open world Halo game, and that’s totally fine. I respect your opinion completely and you’re definitely not alone.

However, as someone who does want an open world Halo game, I feel like I could easily solve all of the potential problems you listed. You wrote a fair amount but I’m just gonna touch on a few things:

Your Skyrim example is very valid and 343 would definitely have to come up with a way to make the story too important for the player to ignore. One thing that comes to mind is making certain areas of the open world not playable until it’s unlocked by completing a certain mission or even a handful of them. Maybe the areas are separated by massive rivers, mountains, or other natural boundaries, and after competing a number of missions, the story progresses and a pelican is now ready to ferry you to the next area. Or maybe an area is blocked by a covenant/banished base, and once you get to the mission where you siege the base and destroy it, you can no progress. Those are just a few solutions from me, and I’m sure the professionals at 343 could do even better. And you’re right, the time limit idea you mentioned would definitely be lame so that’s probably not the way to go.

You also mentioned that’s you’re fearful 343 wouldn’t fill the world with enough content, and you’re also afraid they might fill it with too much to do. I’m not sure how to help you there haha. Maybe when you get to the impressive mountain range there IS a cave, or a base, or a forerunner structure, why not? The rewards for exploring these places could be really cool. Maybe there are forerunner pieces of tech that can be used to unlock knee cosmetic gear in multiplayer. Maybe there are legendary weapons in there, and if you collect one then you’ll have it in your armory and can equip it while at your base (not mid mission, forcing you to drop it and find a new weapons when it’s ammo/energy is depleted, continuing the Halo traditional strategies). Maybe you find tech that can update the grenades you use, or upgraded thrusters (if they are in infinite), or upgraded sprint speed, etc. and this would all be for campaign of course, no gameplay upgrades will transfer to multiplayer to keep matchmaking balanced.

And your points about getting bored exploring, or a mountain range not changing if you go there multiple times... those things can easily be applied to a linear campaign. Every time I play silent cartographer and get to the middle of the island it’s the same thing, same enemies, same terminal (anniversary), same mission goal, and yet we all love playing it. It’s the same with open world.

Sorry I ended up tryping our more that I initially thought haha but I’m passionate about this! My point of this response is to show you that open world can easily work if you WANT it too. I’m sure before Breath of the Wild came out, people could have made the same points you did about why Zelda shouldn’t be open world. You could copy and paste the points you made and it would be a very valid viewpoint. BUT, BotW was released, and it was a huge success, and the developers made it work. Us Halo fans already have a rough draft for open world Halo and it’s ODST. Expland on ODST’s concepts! Once you play a campaign mission in game, it’s unlocked on the menu screen. Maybe the same could be done for side missions too! That way, if some one gets bored of exploring and only wants to play the campaign, they can rush from one area to the other with no consequences and stay in the action of the campaign. Then they can just select the missions they want to play afterwards and never enter the open world again.

Pun not intended, but there are an INFINTE number of ways this could work, you just have to want it. And if the massive team of professional and talented designers at 343 want it, then you better believe they can get the job done! Hope I gave you a new perspective on the whole concept, and if not then thanks for reading! haha
Im all for open world games/modes, makes it more fun and pro longs the life of the game and the players, But on that note I hope their version of open world is a full open world and not half open world like other games.
I think open world is a wonderful idea I always wanted. Halo's environments and skyboxes are so engaging that I always felt the desire to go beyond the level boundaries, because there is always something fascinating around you to explore.

Just imagining that you can look up at the Halo ring in the horizon and know that is a place you can actually travel to and explore is mind-blowing!
It just depends on how the environments will be full of stuff to be seen and how it will encourage exploration.
I think open world is a wonderful idea I always wanted. Halo's environments and skyboxes are so engaging that I always felt the desire to go beyond the level boundaries, because there is always something fascinating around you to explore.

Just imagining that you can look up at the Halo ring in the horizon and know that is a place you can actually travel to and explore is mind-blowing!
It just depends on how the environments will be full of stuff to be seen and how it will encourage exploration.
I agree. It's something I've always felt let down by. I remember the first drop onto the Halo ring in Halo CE, I spent hours just driving the Warthogs later in that level, looking at the vistas and thinking why can't I explore there ? I would love an open world Halo.
So long as we can play linear missions from the menu and engage in encounters while in the hub

Also the hub world must not be like Gears 5. I'd like it to feature dynamic encounters using the very large sandbox of goodies available so that just being in the hub is always a fun place. The potential is high but it needs to be done right. Halo 3 has great fun examples of very large encounters using vehicles and ODST already hinted what could be regarding this in a smaller scale
but the whole idea needs to be pushed further to truly establish how great the Halo sandbox truly is

I can see 343 very much delivering on this but equally they simply might not understand what does and doesn't work
The subtle hints of Halo Infinite having a massive landscape wouldn't surprise me to see if it is Open World. Bungie attempted this to a small extent in Halo 3 ODST so anything is possible a this point.
Ken Static wrote:
The subtle hints of Halo Infinite having a massive landscape wouldn't surprise me to see if it is Open World. Bungie attempted this to a small extent in Halo 3 ODST so anything is possible a this point.
I agree. The trailers implies that there are many environments and wildlife to explore. Even then it is an engine trailer, it would not make sense to show beautiful landscapes and a Warthog for you to drive around and the final game be linear like before.
I kind of don’t want an open world game.
If the missions are wider scale and offer freedom sure I’m fine with that.

I don’t really want Halo to become something it’s not. There’s only been one open world halo FPS and that’s ODST. I don’t know why everyone is so out there for an open world game. ODST was cool and everything but I much prefer every other halo game in comparison of level design
An open world Halo could be both good and bad.

Guns down safe area- probably my least favorite aspect of Halo 5 were the non combat, guns down, NPC interaction parts. If Halo Infinite has “RPG. Elements” I hope an expansion of this idea this is NOT what they mean.

Combat hub- ODST’s Mombasa hub was an interesting take on the Halo formula. I enjoyed fighting/avoiding patrols, finding terminals and other secrets. But the downside to the “hub” was the lack of variety in city textures.
Of course that was on the 360 with the original Halo engine. If 343i wanted to make a combat hub in Halo Infinite, I think it could work.

Nonlinear missions- The missions Halo and Silent Cartographer from Halo Combat Evolved are non linear. Their nonlinear nature was a breath of fresh air in 2001. The ability to complete the objective multiple ways was great. I would hope 343i took note of this and modeled some of this missions in Infinite this way.

Each of these elements represent a potential path for an open world Halo game. Maybe not for Infinite, but for a side game combining these different gameplay models together would make for a potentially great Halo RPG.
No open world I'd be ok with the traditional from point A to point B shooter with SEMI open world levels
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2